Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D 1 signees per state per year (updated)

Started by JJHog, October 12, 2006, 02:11:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2006, 12:35:45 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 12:28:46 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2006, 12:25:56 pm
While i do agree you cant rely solely on instate talent when you are in Arkansas's position, and you do in fact have to go to the big states with the big talent and recuit like a madman.

But i do NOT agree you should settle for this, i believe that the people that can should be trying to build this state up to a level where at some point in the future we may very well be able to rely solely on instate talent to win. I just do not believe that Arkansas is such a bad place that no one would want to come here, that business and people wouldnt want to come here. Sure in the past it has been this way and most people believe it to be changing now.

I am for continued improvement of our instate institutions.  And if that means that the more affluent areas of our state need to help those that arent then so be it.

Changing it will require a complete shift in the thinking of our public about or public schools.  This goes way beyond athletics though, and it isn't going to change. 

See i hate things like that, maybe im just a guy in his 20's that is still being a bit to idealistic for my own good. But i am a cynic to the core and even i think that all these ppl that use Cnotes for firewood, should be trying to build up places that need it.

I mean you all mention the JV programs i played JV for almost 2 years soph and jr, and most of the games i played in the other team just took that game as an excuse to play their varsity starters in different positions and crush people.  And then again some of the towns you get to go see, and see how crapy their stadiums and locker rooms are and you wonder why.

if the University of Arkansas really is the state's team, and the Razorback Foundation really has billions of dollars just laying around for all these new things would it really be that much of a stretch to kick down some cash to the High School level? to bring some pride and some jobs back into some of the places in this state that really need it.

It is not the money, it is the fact that the state has 200+ teams trying to play varsity Fb.  There just are not enough kids to make it a good product.  So many teams have under 30, heck, under 20 players.   If the # of HS were cut in half, then yea, as far as FB goes, it would be easier to get them the equipment they need.  You could dump a billion doallars on a program that just does not have the players, and it would not help them play better. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Arkstfan

The good side of having a lot of smaller schools is that a lot more guys get a lot more reps and more game experience. The late bloomer will have a better chance to crack the starting line-up despite the experience he is competing against. The bad side of it is that with best talent spread so far around a talented player can coast and never push himself far enough to be a great player.

hogsanity

Quote from: Arkstfan on October 13, 2006, 01:06:37 pm
The good side of having a lot of smaller schools is that a lot more guys get a lot more reps and more game experience. The late bloomer will have a better chance to crack the starting line-up despite the experience he is competing against. The bad side of it is that with best talent spread so far around a talented player can coast and never push himself far enough to be a great player.

So guys get more reps?  Against what?  Alot of these schools can not even scrimmage, and they get blown out every Friday night.  Also, many times, a kid that might be good at a certain position, has to play somewhere else just because of lack of numbers. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 12:46:01 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2006, 12:35:45 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 12:28:46 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2006, 12:25:56 pm
While i do agree you cant rely solely on instate talent when you are in Arkansas's position, and you do in fact have to go to the big states with the big talent and recuit like a madman.

But i do NOT agree you should settle for this, i believe that the people that can should be trying to build this state up to a level where at some point in the future we may very well be able to rely solely on instate talent to win. I just do not believe that Arkansas is such a bad place that no one would want to come here, that business and people wouldnt want to come here. Sure in the past it has been this way and most people believe it to be changing now.

I am for continued improvement of our instate institutions.  And if that means that the more affluent areas of our state need to help those that arent then so be it.

Changing it will require a complete shift in the thinking of our public about or public schools.  This goes way beyond athletics though, and it isn't going to change. 

See i hate things like that, maybe im just a guy in his 20's that is still being a bit to idealistic for my own good. But i am a cynic to the core and even i think that all these ppl that use Cnotes for firewood, should be trying to build up places that need it.

I mean you all mention the JV programs i played JV for almost 2 years soph and jr, and most of the games i played in the other team just took that game as an excuse to play their varsity starters in different positions and crush people.  And then again some of the towns you get to go see, and see how crapy their stadiums and locker rooms are and you wonder why.

if the University of Arkansas really is the state's team, and the Razorback Foundation really has billions of dollars just laying around for all these new things would it really be that much of a stretch to kick down some cash to the High School level? to bring some pride and some jobs back into some of the places in this state that really need it.

It is not the money, it is the fact that the state has 200+ teams trying to play varsity Fb.  There just are not enough kids to make it a good product.  So many teams have under 30, heck, under 20 players.   If the # of HS were cut in half, then yea, as far as FB goes, it would be easier to get them the equipment they need.  You could dump a billion doallars on a program that just does not have the players, and it would not help them play better. 

That is all true, i guess i am speaking beyond just football programs and to area's in general. I mean NWA area not 20 years ago would be considered as rural as rural gets, but over that span of time it has really picked itself up. Im suggesting things like that need to happen in the delta, NEA, even Little Rock area, etc all over the state. It wouldnt be easy for sure, but its not impossible. The way you get more kids is you have more jobs for parents to work at, its no secret why the states at the top are there. Those states are crammed packed with metropolitian areas which means people.  I mean if we are content with getting the one or two farm boys every 2 or 3 years then so be it, btw i dont mean any disrespect to farming or anything like that i am just saying its high time the state stop believing waht other people outside AR believe us to be, a herd of rednecks.

jabohog

This is a very good thread. Some great opinions and lots of interesting info. Only a couple of Nutt bashes and a lot of civility. I enjoyed reading the whole thing. I think this is what the mods are striving for on this board. Keep up the good work guys.
My two cents on this topic, is Arkansas should strive for a redshirt program especially in it's offensive and defensive linemen. Great effort should be made to aquire as many of these players from instate as possible. The linemen are your football teams foundation. We saw our skill players putting on the show at Auburn, but the big uglies are where we dominated. I bet if you could find out, a lot of the championship teams linemen are dominated by instate recruits. DL would be harder to find instate, but OL should be easier. Put these kids in a program where they redshirt to get better physically, and a reshirt freshman year to hone physical and mental abilities, and you would have some fine linemen that could contribute for two to three years. I know it's hard to do in our league but it should be worked towards. We're probably closer to it right now than we have been. We can also get skilled players from instate. QBs, and most defensive players need to be recruited out of state. Get the good ones instate, but you have to build depth and that must come from out of state. JMO.

Arkstfan

Didn't Tennessee used to get a lot of their linemen out of New Jersey and Pennsylvania?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 10:36:01 am
Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 13, 2006, 10:21:49 am
Excuses.....

Excuses Excuses we hear them every day ole Houston will supply them so he can make us pay.  When it comes to the HOGS the Fan is the one who loses,... but to keep you coming to the Games... Houston offers you excuses!!!!!!  Our state is just too small, The Hill is way too Square,  Tinnier got Prettier girls who wear no underwear. So the Summertime is too hot, Monday Morning and the Winter time is too Cold Come Friday night But come signing Day PHAT PHIL looks alright! And the thing that breaks our backs is most of the recurits Think Frank is too Damn Old.   Excuses Excuses I am sick and tired of this POOR OLE LITTLE ARKANSAS SYNDROM!!!!!  It is Time for the HOGS to get out there and FIGHT for RECURITS  WE have the BEST FACILITIES AND PLENTY OF MONEY  GO GET SOME WINNERS AND QUIT WHINNING FRANK,HOUSTON AND The REST of the UA STAFF!
:razorback:  GO HOGS BEAT'EM BAD!

And this has to do with Ar HS Fb being old school? 

Old school is just an excuse not to recruit folks who go out of state to play for Ole Miss and MSU and Memphis!  NO more Excuses By Nutt and the STAFF!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 13, 2006, 03:18:39 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2006, 10:36:01 am
Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 13, 2006, 10:21:49 am
Excuses.....

Excuses Excuses we hear them every day ole Houston will supply them so he can make us pay.  When it comes to the HOGS the Fan is the one who loses,... but to keep you coming to the Games... Houston offers you excuses!!!!!!  Our state is just too small, The Hill is way too Square,  Tinnier got Prettier girls who wear no underwear. So the Summertime is too hot, Monday Morning and the Winter time is too Cold Come Friday night But come signing Day PHAT PHIL looks alright! And the thing that breaks our backs is most of the recurits Think Frank is too Damn Old.   Excuses Excuses I am sick and tired of this POOR OLE LITTLE ARKANSAS SYNDROM!!!!!  It is Time for the HOGS to get out there and FIGHT for RECURITS  WE have the BEST FACILITIES AND PLENTY OF MONEY  GO GET SOME WINNERS AND QUIT WHINNING FRANK,HOUSTON AND The REST of the UA STAFF!
:razorback:  GO HOGS BEAT'EM BAD!

And this has to do with Ar HS Fb being old school? 

Old school is just an excuse not to recruit folks who go out of state to play for Ole Miss and MSU and Memphis!  NO more Excuses By Nutt and the STAFF!

Who in particular are you talking about?  We recruited Deangelo Williams, Cedric Houston, Slick Shelly, and they all went out of state.  Guys going out of state is not even the point of this thread.  The point of this thread is how few LEGIT SEC CALIBRE players are produced in AR,  and some suggestions on how to improve those numbers.