Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TOP 32 Ranked BCS Teams To Settle It On The Field For National Championship

Started by BigArkyintheRock, October 12, 2006, 12:07:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigArkyintheRock

The other teams can play in bowl games...keep that going for sure...but I'd rather see somethnig like this:

Do a final BCS ranking AFTER the conference championship games are played, and select the top 32 ranked teams in the BCS for the playoff. Note: If you are not ranked in the top 32 in the BCS by the end of the year, then you don't deserve to qualify for the playoff. Go to your bowl game and be happy.

For the top ranked 32 teams in the BCS, these 32 teams are then split up into two 16 team brackets:

ODDS (Rankings #1, #3, #5, etc.) are in Bracket 1 and EVENS (Rankings #2, #4, #6, etc.) are in Bracket 2. Doing it this way gives a tiny bit of an advantage to the overall lower ranked schools (EVENS). Why not help the little guy out just a little?

So let's say the unthinkable happens this year in NCAA D1 Football and this plan is adopted. Going by the current AP Poll, here's what it might look like...I think you will like the result:

Remember, the regular season AND conference championship games have been played and the new BCS  rankings calculated:

Weekend 1
Saturday December 17, 2006
16 Team Bracket 1- Eight Games to be played
Higher ranked teams (host) v. lower ranked teams.

Game 1 (#1 Ohio State v. #31 Washington)
Game 2 (#3 USC v. #29 UCLA)
Game 3 (#5 West Virginia v. #27 Florida State)
Game 4 (#7 Louisville v. #25 Wisconsin)
Game 5 (#9 Notre Dame v. #23 Oklahoma)
Game 6 (#11 Auburn v. #21 Nebraska)
Game 7 (#13 Georgia Tech v. #19 Mizzou)
Game 8 (#15 Iowa v. #17 Arkansas)

Saturday December 17, 2006
16 Team Bracket 2- Eight Games to be played
Higher ranked teams host lower ranked teams

Game 1 (#2 Florida v. #32 Pittsburgh)
Game 2 (#4 Michigan v. #30 Penn State)
Game 3 (#6 Texass v. #28 Miami, FL)
Game 4 (#8 Tennessee v. #26 Boston College)
Game 5(#10 California v. #24 Rutgers)
Game 6(#12 Clemson v. #22 Virginia Tech)
Game 7(#14 LSU v. #20 Boise State)
Game 8(#16 Georgia v. #18 Oregon)

Weekend 2
Saturday December 24, 2006
8 Team Bracket 1- Four Games to be played

Game 9 ( Game 1 winner Ohio State v. Game 8 winner Arkansas)
Game 10 (Game 2 winner USC v. Game 7 winner Mizzou)
Game 11 (Game 3 winner West Virginia v. Game 6 winner Auburn)
Game 12 (Game 4 winner Louisville v. Game 5 winner Notre Dame)

Bracket 2...same schedule.

Weekend 3
Saturday December 31, 2006
4 Team Bracket 1- Two Games to be played

Game 13 (Game 9 winner Arkansas v. Game 12 winner Notre Dame)
Game 14 (Game 10 USC v. Game 11 winner West Virginia)

Same schedule for Bracket 2.

Weekend 4
Saturday January 6, 2007
2 Team Bracket 1- One Game to be played at neutral site.

Game 15 (Game 13 winner Arkansas v. Game 14 winner USC)
ARKANSAS DEFEATS USC TO WIN BRACKET 1. ((payback baby!!))

2 Team Bracket 2- One Game to be played at neutral site.
Game 15 (Game 13 winner v. Game 14 winner)
Game 15 winner, let's call it Texass, wins Bracket 2.

Weekend 5
Saturday January 13, 2007
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
BRACKET 1 WINNER ARKANSAS V. BRACKET 2 WINNER TEXASS

ARKANSAS BEATS TEXASS!!  WPS!! NATIONAL CHAMPS BABY!!

Pretty Nice how it works out this way eh guys?? Arkansas beats USC to win bracket 1 and advance to the National Championship Game, and then beats Texass on Jan. 13, 2007 to win it all!

You gotta' love that!!

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

hogfan064

Nothing against you, but there is no need for a 32, 16, or 8 team playoff.  All you need is a 4 team.  Anything more than that and you'll get a team with 4 losses competing for the NC.  I hate you put all that work into this, but it will never happen.

SAUhogfan

Yeah that was alot of work. It did entertain me for about 3 minutes.

RazorRedneck

I will agree that 32 teams is excessive, but I would go for a 8 or 16 team playoff.

BigArkyintheRock

Ha! I know, but it didn't take that much work really. I did a 32 team system as an example, since Arkansas is not in the Top 16 yet. :)

I think a team like a Boise State, that might have only one loss, and not crack the top 16, should deserve a chance, just like a team like Arkansas, with one or 2 losses, if we are not in the top 16, we should still get a shot at the brass ring.

It would have to be a playoff of either 4 or 8 or 16 or 32...any other numbers won't work out.
I think the matchups in the 32 team playoff as outlined above make for some pretty entertaining games.

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

threeNout

If it does ever happen, it will start small (like the bb tourney) and grow from there.

4, 8 or even 6 with the top 2 getting byes would be the way it would likely start if it ever did.

But the ones who have the power to change it simply do not have the will to do it, lack of a good plan isn't what is stopping them.

hogfan064

Quote from: RazorRedneck on October 12, 2006, 12:13:02 pm
I will agree that 32 teams is excessive, but I would go for a 8 or 16 team playoff.

Why?  Has a #5-8 team ever given us a reason to have a 8 team playoff?  Usually a 5-8 team has 2-3 losses.  If you lose 2-3 games in a season you don't deserve to play for a NC.  In 90% of the years the #4 team doesn't have a gripe, but you can't have a 3 team playoff so 4 is what will make everyone happy. 

sooie dog

Why is it excessive?  You would have a lot more meaningful games.  Once they go to a playoff format the bowls will be about like making the NIT. 

BigArkyintheRock

Would an undefeated Boise State team be in the top 4 rankings of the BCS at the end of the year? A good chance that they would not. And if not, I would think to be fair, one would have to open it up to more teams besides 4 for the playoff. Next # up that would work would be an 8 team playoff, assuming Boise St. is in the top 8.

hogfan064

Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 12:16:53 pm

Why is it excessive?  You would have a lot more meaningful games.  Once they go to a playoff format the bowls will be about like making the NIT. 

The regular season would become meaningless if there's a 32 team playoff.  Do you really want a 7-5 team playing for the NC?

BigArkyintheRock

I agree, it would be exciting watching those 32 teams battle it out!!

Razorback Jedi

4 team playoff is the way to go. That way you've only got one additional game, the champ game.

Keep the rest of the bowls, have the orange/sugar/fiesta/rose bowls rotate to hold the play offs (one bowl is out of the BCS each year).

Nothing is perfect, but that's a hell of a lot better than this crappy system we have now.

sooie dog

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 12:20:37 pm

The regular season would become meaningless if there's a 32 team playoff.  Do you really want a 7-5 team playing for the NC?

How meaningless is it going to be when Arkansas only makes the playoffs once every 25 to 30 years.  Tell me that.  Besides I doubt a 7-5 team is going to play for the NC.  If they did they would deserve it more so than a boise state team that goes 13-0 that did not play anyone.

BigArkyintheRock

Would a 5 loss team be ranked in the Top 32 of the BCS at the end of the year. Has that ever happened? You might see a 3 loss team in there.

The regular season and conference championship games would still be important. Being higher ranked would allow the higher ranked teams to have home field advantage.

I forgot to mention that in my first post here. For games played during weekends 1, 2, and 3, the higher ranked team hosts the lower ranked team.

After that, the games are held at neutral sites...perhaps at the BCS Bowls.

RazorRedneck

hogfan064

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 12:29:57 pm
Would a 5 loss team be ranked in the Top 32 of the BCS at the end of the year. Has that ever happened? You might see a 3 loss team in there.

The regular season and conference championship games would still be important. Being higher ranked would allow the higher ranked teams to have home field advantage.

I forgot to mention that in my first post here. For games played during weekends 1, 2, and 3, the higher ranked team hosts the lower ranked team.

After that, the games are held at neutral sites...perhaps at the BCS Bowls.

Florida State last year had 5 losses and won the ACC, plus they were top 32 in the BCS.  2 losses is too many IMO. 

hogfan064

Another problem would be travel for fans.  Do you really think 25-30,000 fans would travel to see their team play 5 consecutive weeks?   Its hard enough to get fans to travel to Bowl games that are determined a month in advance. 

BigArkyintheRock

If you don't think a playoff is the way to go, what happens IF for this year, we have 3 or more undefeated teams...such as

Ohio State or Michigan
Florida
USC
W. Virginia or Lousiville
Boise State
Mizzou

If somethnig like this happens, I think there will be so much uproar from the schools left out of the National Championship game that some type of  playoff system will be formed. Not sure what it will look like, but I think it will be in place by this time next year if some undefeated teams are left out of the Big One in Januray '07.

WPS! :razorbacks:

hogfan064

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 12:39:34 pm
If you don't think a playoff is the way to go, what happens IF for this year, we have 3 or more undefeated teams...such as

Ohio State or Michigan
Florida
USC
W. Virginia or Lousiville
Boise State
Mizzou

If somethnig like this happens, I think there will be so much uproar from the schools left out of the National Championship game that some type of  playoff system will be formed. Not sure what it will look like, but I think it will be in place by this time next year if some undefeated teams are left out of the Big One in Januray '07.

WPS! :razorbacks:

That many teams going undefeated in the same year has never happened.  If Boise goes 12-0 then who cares.  They don't deserve a NC shot just like Tulane didn't in 98.  At most only 3 teams will go undefeated and a 4 team playoff would solve that.  There has never been a year where 5 teams have gone undefeated.

sooie dog

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 12:35:42 pm
Another problem would be travel for fans.  Do you really think 25-30,000 fans would travel to see their team play 5 consecutive weeks?   Its hard enough to get fans to travel to Bowl games that are determined a month in advance. 

The first 3 rounds are on campus.  By the time traveling starts 4 teams will be left.  I think people would travel for those last 2 weekends.

pi

Another problem would be travel for fans.  Do you really think 25-30,000 fans would travel to see their team play 5 consecutive weeks?   Its hard enough to get fans to travel to Bowl games that are determined a month in advance. 

maybe.  if 2 games were played the same weekend on the same field.  sell the tickets as a package deal.  then u have 4 teams' fans for both games.

Table Rocker

hogfan064

Quote from: pi on October 12, 2006, 12:44:44 pm

maybe.  if 2 games were played the same weekend on the same field.  sell the tickets as a package deal.  then u have 4 teams' fans for both games.

I'm talking about fans of the individual teams.  As a Hog fan I'm willing to travel to a Bowl game that's 12 hours away because I can plan for it, but as a Hog fan I'm not going to travel 5 consecutive weeks to various cities throughout the country because its not financially possible.  I'm sure a 1,000 or so rich Hog fans could do it, but even then its hard to plan that many trips when you don't even know if you'll be playing the next week. 

BigArkyintheRock

Florida State had only 4 losses (Virgina, NC State, Clemson, Florida) on the day they beat VA Tech in the ACC Championship Game. FL State lost #5 to Penn State in the Orange Bowl.

I don't know what Florida State's final BCS ranking was, but going with this plan...if they would have been in the Top 32, they would have had 4 losses, not 5, going into the playoff last year.

sooie dog

It might last one week longer than the way it is set up now.  Besides we have to wait a month for the games now.  What good is that.

hogfan064

Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 12:44:07 pm
Another problem would be travel for fans.  Do you really think 25-30,000 fans would travel to see their team play 5 consecutive weeks?   Its hard enough to get fans to travel to Bowl games that are determined a month in advance. 

The first 3 rounds are on campus.  By the time traveling starts 4 teams will be left.  I think people would travel for those last 2 weekends.

Well, what if your the fan of a team that doesn't have homefield advantage.  What if the Hogs have to travel to Michigan, Ohio State, and then Oregon on consecutive weekends?  Do you think thousands of Hog fans would travel to play in the December weather of those states?  Would you rather be in Eugene, Oregon in Jan or Tampa, FL?

pi

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 12:48:02 pm

I'm talking about fans of the individual teams.  As a Hog fan I'm willing to travel to a Bowl game that's 12 hours away because I can plan for it, but as a Hog fan I'm not going to travel 5 consecutive weeks to various cities throughout the country because its not financially possible.  I'm sure a 1,000 or so rich Hog fans could do it, but even then its hard to plan that many trips when you don't even know if you'll be playing the next week. 
Many of us did it all the way to Charlotte.  Many thousand Hog fans, very few rich.  There must be a compromise somewhere.  8 teams?

HognotinMemphis

How is a team with 5 losses going to make it all the way to the NC game in this 32 team playoff scenario? I'd say that would be highly unlikely...not impossible but very low chance of a 5 loss team suddenly kicking ass 4 straight games in 32 team playoffs.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogfan064

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 12:49:05 pm
Florida State had only 4 losses (Virgina, NC State, Clemson, Florida) on the day they beat VA Tech in the ACC Championship Game. FL State lost #5 to Penn State in the Orange Bowl.

I don't know what Florida State's final BCS ranking was, but going with this plan...if they would have been in the Top 32, they would have had 4 losses, not 5, going into the playoff last year.

4 losses still shouldn't give you a shot at the NC Championship.  That means you've lost 33% of your games. 

What makes college football better than any other sport is that every Saturday matters.  If you allow a 2-4 loss team to play for the NC it takes away from the regular season.  A 10-0 Florida team could sit its players for USC and FSU because it knows it will be in the 32 team tourney. 

If Michigan were to be upset by Illinois it would mean nothing because they would still be allowed 2-3 more losses. 

hogfan064

Quote from: pi on October 12, 2006, 12:50:55 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 12:48:02 pm

Many of us did it all the way to Charlotte.  Many thousand Hog fans, very few rich.  There must be a compromise somewhere.  8 teams?

True a few thousand did make it to Charlotte, but a few thousand in basketball is alot more than a few thousand in football.  You are leaving out 99% of the fans

hogfan064

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2006, 12:51:39 pm

How is a team with 5 losses going to make it all the way to the NC game in this 32 team playoff scenario? I'd say that would be highly unlikely...not impossible but very low chance of a 5 loss team suddenly kicking ass 4 straight games in 32 team playoffs.

If you don't think a 5 loss team could do it then why have a 32 team playoff?  Its not needed.  A 2-5 loss team didn't prove themselves in the regular season and don't deserve a chance at the NC

BigArkyintheRock

I hear what you're saying, but i think the current system is flawed. Too much politics go into the rankings each year after year after year. And some voters forget to vote, case in point, Arkansas. How bad would it be if there was a 16 team playoff format, and because a handful of voters left Arkansas off the ballot, we are ranked #17 and miss the playoffs.

I say, let the top 32 ranked (if 32 is too much and it must be lower, take it down to 16) teams at the end of the year settle it on the field. The regular season and conference championship games still matter, b/c it allows a team to improve their standing in the BCS rankings, which just might get you homefield advantage for one or more games early on, and allow you a better matchup in the playoffs.

hogfan064

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on October 12, 2006, 01:00:51 pm
I hear what you're saying, but i think the current system is flawed. Too much politics go into the rankings each year after year after year. And some voters forget to vote, case in point, Arkansas. How bad would it be if there was a 16 team playoff format, and because a handful of voters left Arkansas off the ballot, we are ranked #17 and miss the playoffs.

I say, let the top 32 ranked (if 32 is too much and it must be lower, take it down to 16) teams at the end of the year settle it on the field. The regular season and conference championship games still matter, b/c it allows a team to improve their standing in the BCS rankings, which just might get you homefield advantage for one or more games early on, and allow you a better matchup in the playoffs.

If you have 32 then the 33rd team will complain.  Its much harder to say who the #32 team is than the #4 team.  Do you take 8-4 Clemson or do you take 10-2 Wyoming?  Do you take 10-2 Bowling Green or 7-5 Kentucky?

sooie dog

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 12:50:15 pm
Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 12:44:07 pm

Well, what if your the fan of a team that doesn't have homefield advantage.  What if the Hogs have to travel to Michigan, Ohio State, and then Oregon on consecutive weekends?  Do you think thousands of Hog fans would travel to play in the December weather of those states?  Would you rather be in Eugene, Oregon in Jan or Tampa, FL?

I would sit at home and proudly watch.  Besides that's the advantage of home field.  It's not for the visitors. 

Hong Kong Sooey

I tend to lean toward the 8 team playoff myself.  At 4 you very well may leave the bestteam out.  16 just runs too long.

Feralhog

I doubt the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose Bowls would get too excited about hosting teams that are ranked outside the top 32.  Hell, I doubt the Independence Bowl would be too jazzed.

I posted the perfect solution yesterday.  I keep reading posts like this and I want to gouge out my friken eyes so I'll neve be tempted to open another thread like this again!

Here it is, a scaled down version of the perfect solution.

All Major Conferences MUST play a championship game.  This acts as the first round of the tournament.

The 6 Conference Championship winners make up 6 of the 8 BCS bowl games. 

Have the mid-majors do a playoff among their conference champs for 1 of the 2 remaining spots

I think Notre Dame should be forced to join a conference but this wedged Reb and St fan's  thongs a little deep, so I'll go with allowing Notre Dame to qualify for the final spot in the same manner as they currently qualify for the BCS.  If Notre Dame Doesn't Qualify, then you extend one at large bid. I have no clue how to figure the last team if Notre Dame doesn't qualify, I can't think of friken everything.

You take the 4 BCS bowl champs and have a final four scenario the following week.  Have stadiums all across the planet bid on the rights to host the final four.

Then have the championship game the week after.  You could either rotate it among the 4 BCS bowls or put it up for auction.  Makes no difference to me, they aren't paying me darn to do this anyway.

This preserves the Bowl games
It allows the season to end before the spring semester
it maintains the regular season in college football
and with the exception of the at large bid, it's pretty much decided on the field. 

This post needs to be stickied at the top of the board and the next time someone brings it up, we can inform them that hogville has solved the college football playoff controversy.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

sooie dog

16 just runs too long.
[/quote]

Do you like even like watching football?

James K. Pork

It'll never happen, but I'd like to see a 16-team playoff.  Some of the best football games you'll see are played by I-AA schools during their playoffs.  For the most part, it beats the hell out of the bowl system.  I'd rather watch James Madison and Georgia Southern battle it out over 2 or 3 overtimes than see the New Orleans Bowl or their close cousins in the rest of the bowl system.

This is the only sport in the NCAA system to use an antiquated set of old charity games to decide a champion.  It is a system completely at the mercy of regional or network bias working to the detriment of conferences in less-populated regions of the nation.  It doesn't make sense and it doesn't work.

Still, it will take a network ponying up billions of dollars for a playoff to get the NCAA to see the light.

hogfan064

And if you think a 16 team playoff solves everything just look at 1-AA.  Fans of the MEAC and SWAC have complained for years that their schools don't get fair treatment during the selection period.  Coastal Carolina goes 10-1 2 years back and gets left out of the playoffs.  You don't hear about these problems unless you live near these schools because its 1-AA and the media doesn't make a big deal of it locally. 

Feralhog

Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

BigArkyintheRock

Good question. The voting and BCS rank determintaion has to be done with the utmost integrity and no goof ups...the voters can't be leaving teams off their ballot by mistake, etc.

In the end though, I (and the schools lft out) gotta' go by the numbers. A playoff with 32 spots provides a lot more opportunity for that 10-2 Wyoming team or that 7-5 Kentucky team, to get in, to have a shot, than say a 4 team playoff format.

At the end of the day, in December, after the regular season and conference championship games have been played, and if the correct votes are counted, for the teams that are close but still don't crack the top 32, then as I said above, they go play their bowl game and be happy that they almost made it to the playoffs, and better luck next year.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: sooie dog on October 12, 2006, 01:07:13 pm

16 just runs too long.
Do you like even like watching football?
[/quote]Yes, I do...I also like to watch basketball and give my team time to recruit and figure out where they are for the upcoming season.  16 teams is too many.  noone outside the top 10 has any reason to be in the discussion anyway.

hawk13

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 01:06:36 pm
   I doubt the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose Bowls would get too excited about hosting teams that are ranked outside the top 32.  Hell, I doubt the Independence Bowl would be too jazzed.

I posted the perfect solution yesterday.  I keep reading posts like this and I want to gouge out my friken eyes so I'll neve be tempted to open another thread like this again!

Here it is, a scaled down version of the perfect solution.

All Major Conferences MUST play a championship game.  This acts as the first round of the tournament.

The 6 Conference Championship winners make up 6 of the 8 BCS bowl games. 

Have the mid-majors do a playoff among their conference champs for 1 of the 2 remaining spots

I think Notre Dame should be forced to join a conference but this wedged Reb and St fan’s  thongs a little deep, so I'll go with allowing Notre Dame to qualify for the final spot in the same manner as they currently qualify for the BCS.  If Notre Dame Doesn't Qualify, then you extend one at large bid. I have no clue how to figure the last team if Notre Dame doesn't qualify, I can't think of friken everything.

You take the 4 BCS bowl champs and have a final four scenario the following week.  Have stadiums all across the planet bid on the rights to host the final four.

Then have the championship game the week after.  You could either rotate it among the 4 BCS bowls or put it up for auction.  Makes no difference to me, they aren't paying me Shiite to do this anyway.

This preserves the Bowl games
It allows the season to end before the spring semester
it maintains the regular season in college football
and with the exception of the at large bid, it's pretty much decided on the field. 

This post needs to be stickied at the top of the board and the next time someone brings it up, we can inform them that hogville has solved the college football playoff controversy.

Again, nothing against you, but it will never happen and isn't needed.  Everyone has some "great solution", but we know it won't happen and it won't solve anything. 

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 01:08:47 pm
And if you think a 16 team playoff solves everything just look at 1-AA.  Fans of the MEAC and SWAC have complained for years that their schools don't get fair treatment during the selection period.  Coastal Carolina goes 10-1 2 years back and gets left out of the playoffs.  You don't hear about these problems unless you live near these schools because its 1-AA and the media doesn't make a big deal of it locally. 
Do you honestly think a NC team could possibly be left out of a 16 team playoff?  I don't think a NC team would be missed in only an 8 team playoff.  The thought is completely ridiculous.

Feralhog

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on October 12, 2006, 01:12:16 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 01:10:14 pm
AM I ON EVERYBODY'S FRIKEN IGNORE LIST?

:)

Thank You! 

I realize my solution isn't perfect, but it's damn close.  The biggest obsticle is forcing all the majors to have a championship game.  The next biggest would be figuring out how to extend the season two weeks without friken with the NFL playoffs.   

hogfan064

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on October 12, 2006, 01:16:40 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on October 12, 2006, 01:08:47 pm
Do you honestly think a NC team could possibly be left out of a 16 team playoff?  I don't think a NC team would be missed in only an 8 team playoff.  The thought is completely ridiculous.

I don't think a NC would be left out of a 4 team playoff.  Find me 1 #5 team that has ever had a legit grip about being NC.  Please find me that team.  If you can then you have made a point for a 8 team playoff.  If you can't you just proved my point. 

BigArkyintheRock

Why does Notre Dame get the freebie?

THERE SHOULD BE NO AT LARGE BIDS FOR NOTRE DAME OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL!!

Too much politics in at large bids. Notre Dame is a media darling. They should have to earn their spot in the playoff like everyone else and just go strictly by the rankings.

For a team like Boise State, if they go undefeated or just have one loss, no big deal, they likely will be in the top 32, as would a one or two loss Notre Dame team.

If not a 32 team format, then a 16 team playoff.

hogfan064

Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 01:17:23 pm
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on October 12, 2006, 01:12:16 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on October 12, 2006, 01:10:14 pm
AM I ON EVERYBODY'S FRIKEN IGNORE LIST?

:)

Thank You! 

I realize my solution isn't perfect, but it's damn close.  The biggest obsticle is forcing all the majors to have a championship game.  The next biggest would be figuring out how to extend the season two weeks without friken with the NFL playoffs.  

So a 4 loss FSU team is a better NC contender than a 2 loss LSU team that didn't win its conference championship?  A 3 loss Big East school winning its conference is a NC contender?  These are all possible scenarios with your system.