Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we root for or against Auburn this week?

Started by Table Rocker, October 10, 2006, 12:20:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Table Rocker

Padding a lead vs. improving quality of a win, what to do?

Landonhog

Hollywood_HOGan

well good things happen to Arkansas no matter who wins.

We can pretty much lock up the west with Ws over Ole Miss and South Carolina if Auburn does get beat.

But if Auburn wins if might improve our ranking and make our big W look that much better.

Florida is an awfully good team but Auburn will be sky high for this one. The season is on the line for Auburn. This one will be fun to watch.

12under

its hard to root for florida, but we need auburn to lose because you never know, we could easily lose two conference games

HogFaninGA

I want Florida to win so we will have a big cushion in the West.  The ranking will take care of themselves.  Winning the West and being in the SEC Championship game will do wonders for our program.  I would love Florida to go undefeated and we play them in the SECC game and beat the hell out of them.  If we do this the rankings will be in our favor at the end when it really matters anyway.

hogfancb

Florida will win......I'm wondering if Tuberville's "Click,Clack" commerical will be on this weekend on ESPN.  He didn't protect his house.

hogfansrule

Florida has way too many options on offense for the tigers too contain. Even though I want Auburn to win it would be very good if Florida won.

hiphiphoorayhog

the biggest cocktail party in the south----I take flordia, I wish there was a way neither could win but since there is not Flordia

HognotinMemphis

It may not make our win over Auburn look as good if Auburn loses to Fla, but it does two things for the Hogs:

1. Gets Auburn out of the picture for the SEC West championship and,

2. Sets up a potential SECCG between an undefeated Fla and either an 11-1 or 10-2 Arkansas which gives the Hogs the chance to pull and upset over #1 or #2 ranked Fla and possibly get into the NC game.

Of course, if the Hogs don't win 2 of the 3 versus SC, TN and LSU, who cares whether Auburn or Fla wins.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

SPAL

Well does anybody know how they break a tie if 3 teams have 2 losses, 1 against each other...for example...

We lose to UT and lsu
Auburn loses to Arkansas and Florida
LSU loses to Aubrun and Florida

We woudl hold the break over Auburn, but LSU would hold it over us while Auburn holds it over LSU...do they go to points in the conf?

hiphiphoorayhog

Wouldn't go to the team who had not been there the longest?

Table Rocker

The cocktail party is UGA and Florida but they can't call it that anymore.

leavenworth1

Yeah, and also it MAY help our recruiting chances with Ziemba/Burns.  They're gonna be at the game. 

Tomhog™

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 10, 2006, 12:41:07 pm

Of course, if the Hogs don't win 2 of the 3 versus SC, TN and LSU, who cares whether Auburn or Fla wins.

exactly.  Hogs have to take care of business, pure and simple.  They are in the driver's seat from here out...

OnYourToes

It may not make our win over Auburn look as good if Auburn loses to Fla, but it does two things for the Hogs:

2. Sets up a potential SECCG between an undefeated Fla and either an 11-1 or 10-2 Arkansas which gives the Hogs the chance to pull and upset over #1 or #2 ranked Fla and possibly get into the NC game.

I also like the match up of Mustain v Tebow
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

DCHawg

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 10, 2006, 12:42:39 pm
Well does anybody know how they break a tie if 3 teams have 2 losses, 1 against each other...for example...

We lose to UT and lsu
Auburn loses to Arkansas and Florida
LSU loses to Aubrun and Florida

We woudl hold the break over Auburn, but LSU would hold it over us while Auburn holds it over LSU...do they go to points in the conf?

I believe the tie-break is BCS ranking on the SUnday before the SEC Championship.

hawk13

From the SEC Web Site

"B. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

(Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)
1 Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
2 Record of the tied teams within the division.
3 Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional)
4 Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
5 Overall record vs. non-division teams.
6 Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
7 Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
8 The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game. "

PHill94

Either way Arkansas is a win win situation for this weekend. as far as BCS goes we would move up a great great deal more if Auburn wins, and that would be great to see us up there on that list. Florida will still likely be a one loss top 6 team if we happen to make it to the SEC CG and we will get our own chance with them. GO AUBURN! BEAT FLORIDA!

BloodRedHog

How could ARK get into the NC game by beating an undefeated Florida team in the SECCG? I don't see that we could be ranked #3 by then?
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

1stwordswerewoopig

I posted earlier this week that I was Florida's biggest fan last Saturday and would be again this Saturday because of the lead it would give us in the West.  However, some other posters have made pretty good arguments about pulling for Auburn.

-makes our win that much better, strength of schedule, etc.

-may help in the recruiting of players considering Auburn (Kodi/Lee...)

So, I think that I'll just let the chips fall where they may without pulling for either team.

Hog Fan 51

No I think we need Aubie @ 2 SEC losses to clinch the west. I have my doubts if we can win out.
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BloodRedHog on October 10, 2006, 01:01:23 pm

How could ARK get into the NC game by beating an undefeated Florida team in the SECCG? I don't see that we could be ranked #3 by then?

Magic.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Idahog

All depends if we take care of our business.  We clean up the rest of the schedule, maybe dropping one more or so and beat an undefeated FL who will be #1 or #2 by then if they beat Auburn and clean up the rest of their schedule...  oh how fun to think about this scenario.

Also OSU still has to play a VERY good Michigan team.  USC will likely drop at least one game in their schedule, they have a lot of injuries on their team right now.  There could be a very small outside shot that if the Razorbacks hold up their business for the remainder of the season and the cards fall into place elsewhere...  oh how fun to think about this scenario.  WVU and Louisville still have yet to play each other also don't they?

Going to be few and far between with the undefeated teams this year. 

Here is to hoping the Razorbacks keep playing like they did against Auburn!
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

hogfankb

Quote from: OnYourToes on October 10, 2006, 12:49:29 pm

I also like the match up of Mustain v Tebow

Why do so many people have a man crush on Tebow(I'm not saying you do) it is just that he gets billed as this great player at Florida and he isn't. florida would still be undefeated without him. It is about like having a slower version of hillis back there playing QB.

Chief Mac

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 10, 2006, 01:19:13 pm

Magic.

Football gods pay us back for Tenn 98' and the great shootout?

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

BloodRedHog

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on October 10, 2006, 01:42:10 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 10, 2006, 01:19:13 pm

Magic.

Football gods pay us back for Tenn 98' and the great shootout?

WPS

Chris

OK, now it makes sense...
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Heightshog

If Flordia beats AU and Tenn beats LSU on November 4th all we have to do is take 1 of SC, Tenn or LSU to make it the the SECCG, this also assumes we take care of both Mississippi schools.

razorbackfan4life

If we go undefeated from here on out............National Championship is possible, but a lot of teams have to lose, and USC has to win out............BUT I DOUBT IT WILL HAPPEN!

rbacks_06

guys i really dont want to play ohio state?

LZH

My head says go Florida.  My heart says War Damn Eagle.  P*** on Urban Meyer, the next Steve Superior.

razorbackfan4life

jackwalker

Hopefully by the SECCG we will have a lot more of our spread offense installed.

That would be a great matchup.

Flordia's passing spread offense v. Arkansas' running spread offense.
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

hogfan47

C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

roothog

Auburn.
1. Makes us look even better.
2. I hate Florida.
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIIEEE

BigArkyintheRock

#1, we have to take care of business with a solid pounding of SE Mizzou State (win by 21+ points).

IF Auburn beats Florida, how far does Auburn move up in the AP Poll?
What about Arkansas? What about Florida?

FL is currently #2, Auburn is #11, we are #17.
We dominated Auburn.
We should be ranked ahead of them.

Stewart Mandel has Arkansas and Auburn, #12 and #13, respectively, in the power rankings this week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/10/10/power.rankings/index.html

I love his take on the Hogs. Check it out.

So, IF Auburn beats Florida, how far do we (Arkansas) climb in the AP Poll? Will we leap ahead of both Auburn and Florida?

What will the AP voters do? Those voters that forgot and left us off their ballot last week might make the difference for us this week and bump us up big time.

Thoughts?

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

Tejano Jawg

This subject was posted a couple day ago. Most people seem to go Gators. I couldn't decide then, and I can't decide now. The mathematics probably benefit us if Florida wins.

But I cannot easily root for the Gators. Not ever, unless someone assures me it helps the Hogs.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 10, 2006, 02:53:15 pm
This subject was posted a couple day ago. Most people seem to go Gators. I couldn't decide then, and I can't decide now. The mathematics probably benefit us if Florida wins.

But I cannot easily root for the Gators. Not ever, unless someone assures me it helps the Hogs.

Well, Auburn winning damn sure doesn't help the Hogs in their quest to win the SEC West. THis is an easy decision - all Hog fans should be pulling for Fla to beat Auburn.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jackwalker on October 10, 2006, 02:16:43 pm
Hopefully by the SECCG we will have a lot more of our spread offense installed.

That would be a great matchup.

Flordia's passing spread offense v. Arkansas' running spread offense.
I like the spread defense that Herring ran against Auburn. I want more spread defense.

Coacht

I will root for Florida....we need all the space we can get. Our opponents having Florida on their schedule and us not is a blessing. I want Florida to be unbeaten when we play them in the SECCG.
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

Junkyard Hog

beachhawg

For Auburn, it makes our quality win even more so.  Plus, heading into TN at 7-1 would push our strength of schedule and ranking up higher.

BigArkyintheRock

October 10, 2006, 03:39:29 pm #41 Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 03:43:09 pm by BigArkyintheRock
What if Florida wins in a 10 OT game by making a 55 yard (bounce off the goal post and in) field goal to win it, after an offsides penalty on Florida gives them another shot at the FG, which they had just missed at 60 yards?  :D

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

RBLtoHOG

I think that as of right now WE are in the driver seat... we need to focus on winning our game and the other teams are "needing Arkansas to lose an SEC game." I havent been in this good of a mood in a loong time!! WPS!!!
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

cumberlandhawg

Quote from: hiphiphoorayhog on October 10, 2006, 12:40:07 pm
the biggest cocktail party in the south----I take flordia, I wish there was a way neither could win but since there is not Flordia
Lordy, fella you got some stuff to learn.  The cocktail party is Georgia -Flordia.  Keep reading, you'll learn

Tusks

I'm rooting for Auburn against Florida and then Georgia over Auburn.  The Hogs get their padding and and if GA wins out then the Hogs can play GA in the SECCG....I think they can beat GA this time.  Not sure about Florida.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

wooo

jameshogfan

Rankings and respect will take care of itself... Especially if we are in the SEC championship game. If Auburn wins, we may not make it there, and it won't matter how quality of a win it was. If Auburn loses to Florida, we may not make it there, but basically have a 2 game lead on everybody in the West. If we make it there, it will likely be against Florida, so we can squander that quality win stuff by taking care of business then. I say GO Gators!!!!

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

devildog

I couldn't root for Tuberville if he was playing tiddly winks with George Steinbrenner.

wwwhogfan

I will be rooting for Auburn this week although I rooted for FL last.  We still beat AU in a tie and they have a couple more hard games coming up.  I just think with the timing of us beating #2 AU it will do wonders for us if they turn around and beat #2 FL.