Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog futures rise when Auburn whips Florida

Started by RealHogFan, October 10, 2006, 07:11:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RealHogFan

Book it Dan-O.  I just can't see Auburn being "whupped" two weeks in a row at home.  They have the Gators at home and a win would reverse the smell of the total humiliation they faced from us.  This is the team that until Saturday had only lost one SEC game in the last, what, 22.

When that happens, we will move to at least 12 (in the AP) after beating SEMO.

[No crack pipe involved, but that Bloody Mary sure was good]

Thoughts?

John Futrall

This goes both ways...If AU wins, it certainly helps with our SOS and thus moves us up in the rankings..If FLA wins, it helps us MORE imo, from an SEC West standpoint.

Doyle Hograves

It's a no-lose situation for the Hogs... Auburn loses and that puts us another game up in the SEC West, and Auburn and LSU each have two losses. If Florida loses, WE are the only undefeated team in the SEC.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

Love those Hogs

Heck yes..I'm a die hard Gator fan this weekend.  I could care less about the rankings right now, Florida beating Auburn gives us a 2 game lead in the West.  That could be helpful down the stretch if we have a bad game somewhere along the way.
Hogs 4 Life!

Rider0375

Go gators...I'd rather have the 2 game lead in the west

boomo26

Florida is playing great, I think Auburn will have a tough time beating them.

Boomo

Conway Cool Daddy

Go Gators!
A 2 game lead would be nice with games against SC, LSU, and Tennessee coming up.

Ramble on Barbershop

chuck ill take 2 games ahead in the west. not worried about the polls just the west.
member # 407

You are no better than anyone, you are just as good but no better, be HUMBLE and you will see the difference in relationships. He who can be carefree yet mindful at the same time, has found the secret of living in enlightened PEACE.

Roadrunner

Quote from: ArkieRebel on October 10, 2006, 07:15:02 am
It's a no-lose situation for the Hogs... Auburn loses and that puts us another game up in the SEC West, and Auburn and LSU each have two losses. If Florida loses, WE are the only undefeated team in the SEC.
Reminder: We are not undefeated as we lost to USC.
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Doug

Reminder:  He said in the SEC, not completely undefeated.  :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

King-Tusk

I don't see Auburn losing 2 in a row either.  Auburn beats Florida and  Arkansas is the only team unbeaten in conference play.  It does help the SOS, but the target gets HUGE and the pressure increases.  Could be good for us to get used to being the new team to beat in the SEC, but it could also set us up for a letdown if we have a bad game.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

EastexHawg

Auburn will not whup Florida.  Auburn was and is an overrated football team.  It will be a hard fought game, especially because Auburn is at home and fighting for their conference lives, but Florida is a better  team.

I think Auburn will end up about 5-3 in the SEC.

tobs54

Go gators!! 
Did i just write that?  What's going on here? 

HogNuttz

Quote from: Douglas on October 10, 2006, 08:30:36 am
Reminder:  He said in the SEC, not completely undefeated.  :)

Yes we are in the SEC, and we are not undefeated.  Roadrunner was right.  What the original post by ArkieRebel most likely meant and should have stated was that we would be the only undefeated team in SEC play.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

hogsanity

If Auburn does not find a passing game, Florida will manhandle them just like we did. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogNuttz

Quote from: Love those Hogs on October 10, 2006, 07:17:03 am
Heck yes..I'm a die hard Gator fan this weekend.  I could care less about the rankings right now, Florida beating Auburn gives us a 2 game lead in the West.  That could be helpful down the stretch if we have a bad game somewhere along the way.

It could be helpful down the stretch if we lose only to teams currently ranked higher than us, and even if that were the situation, we would still likely be out of the SECCG.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

TuckFexas

We have a 2 game lead now, do we not? We've got the tie-breaker with Auburn, so even with one loss we're still ahead of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Idahog

Florida seems like such a better team to me at this point in the season. Pretty sure they will win this one, which is very good for us.  I say wait till next year before worrying about rankings.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

hogsanity

Quote from: TuckFexas on October 10, 2006, 08:41:42 am
We have a 2 game lead now, do we not? We've got the tie-breaker with Auburn, so even with one loss we're still ahead of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not really because if Aub wins out and we lose 2, Aub wins the west.  We have a one game lead, and the tie breaker.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

kitshicker

Quote from: Rider0375 on October 10, 2006, 07:25:56 am
Go gators...I'd rather have the 2 game lead in the west
I, for one, will be doing the gator chomp this weekend.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

not unless we lose to SEMO. kidding, just kidding
ched come back pls

DeltaBoy

I'm pulling for Tigger to be GATOR BAIT Saturday !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OnYourToes

If Aubbie wins I doubt we will jump from 17 to 12.
We will move up either way.
Currently both Aubbie and FLA are ranked ahead of us.
If either lose and we beat SEMO we jump up, maybe to 16 or 15.
If we beat SEMO like we should look for a 15 or 14 ranking.

I am pulling for FLA this weekend.
We need to focus on our conference right now and not our naitonal ranking.
Win our division then worry about the entire confrence THEN let the BCS calculator do its black magic thing and hope for a bowl full of Sugar!

First I am focused on beating SEMO and opening up the HUNH play book.
We are in uncharted territory, we control our own destiny.
JUST WIN BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

SteelShot

I hope that Auburn does get whipped for the second week in a row b/c with them and LSU having 2 conferences loses, that means that barring a collapse and a lose to LSU (or LSU losing 3 games which is possbile), we will be in Atlanta.
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

Pork Twain

I disagree because then they will just say Auburn had an off game vs. the Hogs.  What needs to happen Aub lose a close one to Florida and give us some breathing room.  Then the Hogs need to take care of business the rest of the season and beat an undefeated Florida team in the SECCG.

This post, #1994, has a special place in my heart.  As that was the year I graduated from  Mammoth Spring High School...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BigSnout

Quote from: Roadrunner on October 10, 2006, 08:27:48 am
Reminder: We are not undefeated as we lost to USC.

Hey, if someone was able to totally forget that then please let them, but yes I believe he was talking about the SEC West.

Kevin

need to root for the gators-that would basically put auburn out.  with the tiebreaker they would be 3 games back.  sec west is more important than rankings. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Nutts and Bolts

Go Gators and let TeBlow really screw up bad
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

missippihog

With the way AU played against LSU and the way FL played against LSU, I don't see AU beating FL. I know this doesn't always matter but it is the only measure we have right now.

PigPusher

And if Auburn wins it is going to make us look even stronger and will give our win over Auburn even more credence.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Kevin

which is more important rankings or the sec west title?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

King-Tusk

Quote from: Kevin on October 10, 2006, 10:30:25 am
which is more important rankings or the sec west title?

That all depends on what the goal for the season is.  If the goal is simply to win the west and contend for the SEC title, Auburn losing is more important.  Another Auburn loss puts them further behind us, but lowers the SOS.  If we win the SECCG, we still go BCS bowling.

If the goal is rankings, you want Auburn to beat Florida so we look better for beating Auburn who will rise in the rankings.  Then we rise further IF we continue to win and beat the remaining ranked teams on the schedule.  We win the West title and go to Atlanta to still face Florida in the SECCG.  IF we beat Florida, we go BCS bowling.  If we lose, we probably don't get a BCS, but still get a major bowl and a better ranking for having beaten Auburn and losing to a BCS bound Florida. 

My personal choice would be us just winning it all and not relying on other teams to dictate what happens with us.  I like the fact that we now control our destiny for the rest of the way.

Go Hogs!! Win it all!!
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

PigMan

I'd take some of both.  The good national ranking for recruiting and the West championship as that satisfies a part of the programs goals as well as furthering recruiting.

joedirt

I'm too lazy to look it up.  Anyone know off the top of their head what time and channel the game will be on Sat?

BigArkyintheRock

Short Term, I think an Auburn victory over Florida would probably bump Arkansas up in the polls a bit more...maybe.

Question: If Auburn wins, would we move ahead of Auburn in the AP Poll? We might still be behind Auburn with the Florida loss.

Long Term, Florida beats Auburn, runs the table, and is a perfect 12-0, ranked #1 when we play them in the SECCG. If we are 12-1 coming out of that game agaisnt Florida, I think that helps us the most.

I see some positives in both scenarios.

The 2 game cushion is great, and no doubt Aurburn has ther tails to the wall and will be coming out fighting against the Gators. I think Florida is too good this year and will beat them in a hard fought game. Which actually, will not really hurt us in the rankings all that much. I think Auburn loses, but it is a close game.

Then, how sweet would it be to play 12-0 and #1 ranked Florida in Atlanta? Beating the #1 and # 2 ranked teams in the country this year, and going 12-1 might just get us to Tempe.

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

PiggoBitttys

HOGansHero

I think you pull for Florida against Allbarn and then kick the Gators butt in the SEC Championship game.

GuvHog

If Florida beats Auburn, Tennessee beats LSU, and the Hogs take care of business, A Hog win
in South Carolina would clinch at least a tie for the SEC west and a trip to Atlanta and the
SEC Championship game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

OnYourToes

Quote from: GUVHOG on October 10, 2006, 12:33:18 pm

If Florida beats Auburn, Tennessee beats LSU, and the Hogs take care of business, A Hog win
in South Carolina would clinch at least a tie for the SEC west and a trip to Atlanta and the
SEC Championship game.

Boo Yah, that takes the pressure off the Tenn game.  Although I want to beat their orange arses!
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

BloodRedHog

Too much medicority in the past for me to root for an Auburn win...I want the West clearly ours with as much cushion as possible.

Too many collaspes in the past make me worry BIG TIME about Ole Miss. That would derail us and spook Nutt into making mistakes...
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: RealHogFan on October 10, 2006, 07:11:51 am
Book it Dan-O.  I just can't see Auburn being "whupped" two weeks in a row at home.  They have the Gators at home and a win would reverse the smell of the total humiliation they faced from us.  This is the team that until Saturday had only lost one SEC game in the last, what, 22.

Auburn will beat Florida, and the GameDay guys will say Auburn was just looking past us.  Bank it.

You guys who are so worried about the team folding up, what are you thinking about?  Nutt's teams have lost precisely one game to an opponent that finished with a losing record, and that was Jay Cutler and Vanderbilt last season. 
[CENSORED]!

SPAL

we better be rooting for Florida, because if u think we wont slip up and lose to UT and LSU you are blind or crazy or both.  We also  better hope UT beats LSU....We aren't a great football team. Remember, this is the same Arkansas team that should have lost to Vandy and bama, to say we are headed for Atlanta right now is asinine with Mr inconsistent at the helm.

HogNuttz

Quote from: missippihog on October 10, 2006, 10:20:05 am
With the way AU played against LSU and the way FL played against LSU, I don't see AU beating FL. I know this doesn't always matter but it is the only measure we have right now.

I think LSU's play contributed more to the score differential than Florida's play did.  If LSU played that way against Auburn, they would have been smashed as well.

hog caller

go Gators but lets take our season one game at a time . we haven't put two good ones together yet. whats your predictions for the score this week?

FavreHog

I will cheering Florida on.  I would rather play with nothing to loose than deal with the nerves of not being able to loose a game.  It doesn't matter HDN has ice water running through his veins.  LOL.  I bet he has a full thumb nail now.  A Florida win is in the books.  We will put the dreams of a Gator National Championship to rest.  Woo Pig!!

Shazbot

So what he didn't put the word PLAY at the end....everyone with half a brain knew what he meant

Shazbot

October 10, 2006, 06:06:24 pm #46 Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 06:12:09 pm by Shazbot
 :)

TeamTaylor

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2006, 08:46:08 am

Not really because if Aub wins out and we lose 2, Aub wins the west.  We have a one game lead, and the tie breaker.

What's the difference? If we lose two games and Auburn wins out then that would mean we blew a ???? lead? Yes that's right, two. We have to lose at least twice to not go to Atlanta, so yes we have a two game lead for all intensive purposes.

WoooPigSooie

I'll take LSU and AU both with 2 loses.  Rankings and the SOS will work itself out.

Go gators..wth?  -1 for me..
"The Heisman is supposed to define college football's most outstanding football player.

I saw him here Saturday night. Darren McFadden."

TheMediocreEra

The SEC west... outright???  Maybe next year...   ;)

p.s. GO GATORS!!!!

9-3-06