Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' Place in the SEC

Started by WarEagle, October 03, 2006, 02:16:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgette

October 03, 2006, 04:08:10 pm #50 Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:12:26 pm by hawgette
Ole Miss is only 6 hours away.  Believe me I know.  I used to drive to Fayetteville all the time in college from Ole Miss.  Thats the closest we get though.

I love being in the SEC.  I hate that we dont have a true "rival" but that comes in time.  When we are good and can hang with the the top tier programs.

My question why isnt South Carolina ever asked this?  We joined at the same time and have actually had a better football program then them. 

Rasta Hogmon

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 03:40:58 pm
Quote from: Rasta Hogmon on October 03, 2006, 03:11:07 pm
Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 02:16:55 pm
Hey guys,
My first post.  I'm an Auburn guy who just stopped by to check things out before the game this weekend. 

This is not intended as a flame, just me being curious: How much do y'all identify w/ the SEC?  Obviously you are relative newcomers and geographically a bit removed from most of the SEC teams.  I noticed that a lot of your comments seem centered on things in Texas and Missouri, so I was wondering if y'all are really into the SEC thing or what.

Thanks, and let's hope for a clean, well-called and injury-free game this weekend.  War Eagle!!
Last time I checked we border Tennessee, Louisiana and Mississippi...in those states you will find...vols, Lsu, Ole Miss, Miss State and Vandy...include the HOGS and that is 6 of the 12 schools in SEC...Oh yes we are in the SEC and have at least an even record against your War Eagles, plainsman, tigers or who ever...Advantages to being in the Big 3 plus 9 would be a much easier schedule, a few teams closer, a few farther, a better winning record, fewer fans so traffic would be lighter, colder games on the road, more bowl games, and have to answer dumb questions like why are you in the big 12 since geographly you are in the South close to Mississippi, Tennessee and Louisiana....  

Didn't mean to offend you w/ my "dumb" question, but I think the facts (and the multiple responses from Arkansas fans w/ a variety of opinions) back me up.

Fayetteville is a long way from every other SEC school. Arkansas's closest geographic rival is Ole Miss, which is 402 miles away. Of course, 402 miles away seems downright neighborly when compared to the 1,040 miles that separate Arkansas from Florida. In the SEC where the fiercest rivals are often the closest of geographic foes, Fayetteville is a displaced and enigmatic distant cousin, the Puerto Rico of the SEC. A distinctly foreign place with its own rules, rhythms and way of life.  http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9684756

Our team is the Tigers.  Our battle cry is "War Eagle."  And even though you did own us for a few years (1998-2002), you certainly don't have an even record against us.  We lead the series 9-5-1.

My apoligies about the dumb question...Bad choice of words...What does distance have to do with any thing...Most of our fans make enough money to fly to the games...Do you drive from Athens to LSU or Florida to Ole Miss..Or Tennessee to LSU...We don't have to fly out of the state next door to go places here either..I sure would not be wild about going to Colorado for a november game..Or how bout Lincoln....the rest of the games in the big 12 are in high school stadiums in Texas...My idea of a road game is wheels up and give me a cocktail...Like another person said we have a very large fan base in East Arkansas where Ole Miss, State and Vandy can be day trips..I don't mean to sound mean but last time i checked you are a War Tiger and I am a HOG and if you didn't notice it's game week...we will be nice next week...did you ever think about the ACC for Auburn since all your trips are long drives any way..

hogsanity

Quote from: sage_dragoon on October 03, 2006, 04:05:09 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2006, 03:35:52 pm
Maybe I am wrong, would not be the first time, but I thought a rivalry was when both teams hated each other, and when winning that game was bigger than anything else during the season.  Like Tn/Bama. 

If that is the case, then we don't have a rival. I will say that, to me, LSU is the team I want to beat the most each year.

No, a person or team can have a rival, one who they get more out of besting than vice versa.  A Rivalry is when both teams feel that way.  So, we have rivalsd, but we have no rivalries.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MrsPiggy

I think if Arkansas can ever find a rival in the SEC it will eventually replace Texas

I mean come on folks. Texas leads the series what 55-21 games?  Most lopsided rivalry ever

I'm tired of Texas.  I hate that the most storied game in Razorback lore is one we LOST

I'd like to see us develop real rivalries within the SEC.  Ones where both sides care about the game

311Hog

Quote from: MrsPiggy on October 03, 2006, 04:10:32 pm
I think if Arkansas can ever find a rival in the SEC it will eventually replace Texas

I mean come on folks. Texas leads the series what 55-21 games?  Most lopsided rivalry ever

I'm tired of Texas.  I hate that the most storied game in Razorback lore is one we LOST

I'd like to see us develop real rivalries within the SEC.  Ones where both sides care about the game

The only way Texas rivalry goes away is after all the old people who remember it from back in the day die.

hogfan4life56

Quote from: hogsNbeer on October 03, 2006, 02:23:57 pm
Hey guys,
My first post.  I'm an Auburn guy who just stopped by to check things out before the game this weekend. 

This is not intended as a flame, just me being curious: How much do y'all identify w/ the SEC?  Obviously you are relative newcomers and geographically a bit removed from most of the SEC teams.  I noticed that a lot of your comments seem centered on things in Texas and Missouri, so I was wondering if y'all are really into the SEC thing or what.

Thanks, and let's hope for a clean, well-called and injury-free game this weekend.  War Eagle!!

War Eagle....Welcome to the board.......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I...... SEC is the toughest conference in the land....... Only conference I want to be in.....

You must be proud of the Tigers..... Ya'll have a great football team......  Goodluck, and I too want a clean and injury free game.....

how do you say most people would like to be in the big 12?   i love the SEC, it's the best conference and i'm happy we're in it.

Biggus Piggus

I noticed that a lot of your comments seem centered on things in Texas and Missouri, so I was wondering if y'all are really into the SEC thing or what.

Missouri?  Where do you get that?  We don't think about Missouri very often, unless we're comparing meth labs.  Texas is where we get a lot of recruits, more than any of the traditional SEC states.
[CENSORED]!

PAHog

I think before long, Bama will get that way, but it will still be 2nd to Bama/Auburn in their eyes.  There have been some tough losses.  If we played TN every year, I could see that becoming a rivalry.  It would be nice if we could become competitive enough to make LSU a rivalry.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on October 03, 2006, 03:37:48 pm
......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I......

I take issue with your MOST statement there. I think there is a SMALL vocal MINORITY that would like to see us in the Big XII. MOST of us would just like to see us get on a consistent competitive footing with the upper-tier in the SEC. We BELONG in the SEC, the greatest overall ATHLETIC conference in the country.

Most, many, who cares how I worded it......geez...   All, I'm saying there are fans that would like us to be in the Big 12.......  and I, for one, thank the almighty for where we are...

hogsanity

Quote from: PAHog on October 03, 2006, 04:13:52 pm

I think before long, Bama will get that way, but it will still be 2nd to Bama/Auburn in their eyes.  There have been some tough losses.  If we played TN every year, I could see that becoming a rivalry.  It would be nice if we could become competitive enough to make LSU a rivalry.

If it were Bama, we would rank at best third on thier list behind Aub and Tn. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

kitshicker

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2006, 04:16:28 pm

I don't know, We've beaten them 3 times in the last 4 years....They're probably tired of being beaten by Lil' Ole' Arkansas.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas may never have a serious rival in the SEC.  Closest may be Ole Miss.  We've played 52 times and have a 28-23-1 record against them.  That's our largest number of games against an SEC opponent and one of the most balanced.  The Hogs have played LSU 51 times but gone only 17-32-2.
[CENSORED]!

311Hog

Quote from: kitshicker on October 03, 2006, 04:21:22 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2006, 04:16:28 pm

I don't know, We've beaten them 3 times in the last 4 years....They're probably tired of being beaten by Lil' Ole' Arkansas.

I dunno i agree on the Aub/Tn because Aub is a no brainer and TN well those ppl are arrogant as all hell, we are more apologetic about winning.

WarEagle

Quote from: hawgette on October 03, 2006, 04:08:10 pm
Ole Miss is only 6 hours away.  Believe me I know.  I used to drive to Fayetteville all the time in college from Ole Miss.  Thats the closest we get though.

I love being in the SEC.  I hate that we dont have a true "rival" but that comes in time.  When we are good and can hang with the the top tier programs.

My question why isnt South Carolina ever asked this?  We joined at the same time and have actually had a better football program then them. 

Actually, I think SC does get that question sometimes.  As you noted the schools joined at the same time, and their biggest rival is Clemson, an ACC school.

And the Hogs have definitely brought more to the table since joining up than S. Carolina has.  Y'all have made it to the SEC Championship game twice, and as noted by someone else, had an excellent basketball program in the 90's.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

311Hog

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 04:24:17 pm
Quote from: hawgette on October 03, 2006, 04:08:10 pm

Actually, I think SC does get that question sometimes.  As you noted the schools joined at the same time, and their biggest rival is Clemson, an ACC school.

And the Hogs have definitely brought more to the table since joining up than S. Carolina has.  Y'all have made it to the SEC Championship game twice, and as noted by someone else, had an excellent basketball program in the 90's.

So funny how everyone forgets Track.  The red headed step child of college athletics

WilsonHog

Our place in the SEC is right around sixth or seventh. Whatever 3 to 4 SEC wins a year will get you.

jabohog

Hey guys,

My particular opinion is we hate Mississippi. We have history with them. I personally despise Tennessee. Alabama is becoming one of our rivals I think, because we are in about the same shape and have been for several years. Old guys like me like to kick Texas' ass. That's why I hate Tennessee, because they wouldn't be a Texas if it weren't for Tennessee.
I have a dear friend who is an Auburn alum. He e-mailed me today and predicted a 27-21 Auburn victory. I told him that if our defense held Auburn to 27, and our offense scored 21, Nutt would proclaim a morale victory. He's big on morale victories.

Tusks

I think in football the Hogs are in the SEC to take their check and go home. 

Have Arkansas win a couple of SEC titles and the rivals will take care of themselves.  Some hog fans don't realize that the Razorbacks have played LSU and Ole Miss more than some founding member of the SEC have played each other.  I think Georgia and LSU have played less than Arkansas and LSU for example.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sage_dragoon

Even Ole Miss would say Miss State is their rival. No other SEC school would consider UA their rival.
OM=MSU
MSU=OM
LSU=UF
UF=GA
GA=UF
TN=BAMA
AU=BAMA
BAMA=AU
VANDY=TN
UK=Louiville?
SC=Clemson
UA=?

That's why I'm left with only LSU(if we only consider teams we play on a yearly basis), since we will probably never get a 10 year contract going with Texas.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on October 03, 2006, 03:37:48 pm
......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I......

I take issue with your MOST statement there. I think there is a SMALL vocal MINORITY that would like to see us in the Big XII. MOST of us would just like to see us get on a consistent competitive footing with the upper-tier in the SEC. We BELONG in the SEC, the greatest overall ATHLETIC conference in the country.

We belong in the SEC.  Good one.  Share why we belong grasshopper.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 03, 2006, 04:22:43 pm
Arkansas may never have a serious rival in the SEC.  Closest may be Ole Miss.  We've played 52 times and have a 28-23-1 record against them.  That's our largest number of games against an SEC opponent and one of the most balanced.  The Hogs have played LSU 51 times but gone only 17-32-2.

Funny you should say that, because to those of us old enough to remember, YES Texas WAS OUR big rival in the SWC but we were NEVER THEIR big rival (except for a few years in the '60's). We ranked third in their book behind OU and aTm. Really not much change in that aspect of it when you take an honest look at it.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

pork-e-pine

what is going on with those alabama schools not being able to pick a mascot.  its not that hard really.  just pick one and stick with it.

Woo pig sooie is about pigs and our mascot is a pig. 

War eagle is about birds and your mascot is...a tiger? or water or and elephant or something frightening im sure.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

counsellorhog

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 03:48:02 pm
Quote from: Deuce Pigelow on October 03, 2006, 03:40:18 pm
I have a stupid question...If you are the Auburn Tigers, where does the Eagle come in??

Our team is the Tigers, which comes from a poem.  War Eagle is our battle cry (kinda like y'all w/ Wooo Pig, Sooie).  We got that from an actual eagle at the first football game we ever played (against Georgia in 1892).

Here's a more detailed explanation:

http://www.coloradotigers.com/concourse/traditions_mascots.htm

A razorback is a pig; a tiger is not a bird.  I still don't get it.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on October 03, 2006, 04:45:56 pm
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 03, 2006, 04:22:43 pm

Funny you should say that, because to those of us old enough to remember, YES Texas WAS OUR big rival in the SWC but we were NEVER THEIR big rival (except for a few years in the '60's). We ranked third in their book behind OU and aTm. Really not much change in that aspect of it when you take an honest look at it.

Yet to you we BELONG in the SEC.  Little lesson for you Jr.

The SWC was formed in 1915 - we seceeded in 92.  You freely admit we never were UT's rival?  Do you ever wonder why and if so, do you wonder why we have no natural rival in the so called greatest conf on earth?  77 years with UT and still could not pull of a rivalry according to you.  Beauty.

kitshicker

Quote from: pork-e-pine on October 03, 2006, 04:47:01 pm
what is going on with those alabama schools not being able to pick a mascot.  its not that hard really.  just pick one and stick with it.

Woo pig sooie is about pigs and our mascot is a pig. 

War eagle is about birds and your mascot is...a tiger? or water or and elephant or something frightening im sure.
Funny you mentioned that...My wife was asking me about Bama and their "roll tide" and the elephant.....she said they should just combine the two and have a water buffalo as their mascot.

pork-e-pine

well, aparently she is smarter than everyone in alabama.

Good things about water buffalo. it would be unique mascott and more fearsome than water
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

jabohog

The big thing is to have a rival, you have to be competitive. We haven't been. As another poster said, challenge for some titles and the rivalries will follow. That's why we hated texas so bad in the SWC, they won all the time.

razorhog29

I love the sec but the best the hogs have ever done here is play spoiler. right now we r at leasr 3rd best in the sec west  but if nutt stays we will more than likely move to 4th in the west next year because that John Parker Wilson  at bama is just going to get better. If nut goes then skies the limit Go Hogs beat the war eagle or tiger what ever u ya'll are. By the way why the 2 mascotts?

twistitup

Hey guys,

Just curious...are you guys ready to get Mitch Slapped?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

Our Rivals are Old Piss and LSU it got so bad back in the late 1950's and early 60's they discontinued the series.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IronHog

Dear War Eagle

You just go on and take your fancy ex-Hermitage/Arkansas State coach, and your national exposure, and your fancy SEC quality O and D lines and hand us our rear this weekend.

OHHHHHHHHH but just wait till next year!  Wait till Houston Dale Nutt outrecruits Tulsa for some real SEC talent.  The Waltons and Tysons built us some real nice buildings.  Remember Frank Broyles won 22 straight and we barely lost to Texas in the biggest game in College football history!

FEAR US WAR EAGLE! FEAR US!

(next year)
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Brer Hog

As we become more competitive in the SEC, with a competent coach, we will all realize that everybody in the SEC hates everybody because due to the level of competition there are very few gimmies.  Any other team can hand you your head on a any given day.  This is what Dale has never comprehended, there are no patsies in the SEC, and that is why his compassionate brand of football results in so many losses.  He plays not to lose, but this thread is not about Dale.   

I attended an SEC school in the early 80s and every team was hated.  They were hated because we warred over recruits, over yardage, over officiating, and over who through the best post-game parties.  A few years later, I transferred to Arkansas and noticed that Arkansas got up for Beat Texas Week and ocassionally A&M, if they were having a banner year, but most of the time the other teams we played were not a big deal because we expected to beat them, and usually did. Texas was and still is our biggest rivalry, but Arkansas must soon learn that they'd better bring a lunch to every game in the SEC.  I'm not saying we should forget Texas, rather I'd welcome a home and home series every year to solidify our recruiting, but we had better transfer some of that hatred to the balance of the SEC.  Its going to take that to improve our lot. 

Brer Hog

SwinerBock

Face it.  Arkansas State is our rival.  They are the only school that would actually give two farts about playing us.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: IronHog on October 03, 2006, 08:31:21 pm
Dear War Eagle

You just go on and take your fancy ex-Hermitage/Arkansas State coach, and your national exposure, and your fancy SEC quality O and D lines and hand us our rear this weekend.

OHHHHHHHHH but just wait till next year!  Wait till Houston Dale Nutt outrecruits Tulsa for some real SEC talent.  The Waltons and Tysons built us some real nice buildings.  Remember Frank Broyles won 22 straight and we barely lost to Texas in the biggest game in College football history!

FEAR US WAR EAGLE! FEAR US!

(next year)

That is the funniest stuff I've read on here YET!!!  BRAVO!!!
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Idahog

So I'm wondering if the original poster would like to tell us where Auburn's place in the SEC is.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

hogs25

Quote from: Idahog on October 07, 2006, 03:31:14 pm
So I'm wondering if the original poster would like to tell us where Auburn's place in the SEC is.

Exactly, I had to go thru all the b just to get to this.  I wonder how he feels about the Hogs now?

hydrophonic

His question was about tradition.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

DeltaBoy

Well one Tiger fan din't respect us

"I think many of you are giving Arkansas too much credit. I know the history between AU and Arkansas, but who cares because it won't repeat itself this year. Auburn is right in the thick of a national championship chase and our guys know it. The coaches will not allow a screw up. Auburn takes this one pretty easily."   from AUNation Forums.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HarrisonHog

Arkansas has more in common with the states of the southeast than the original poster may realize.  We sent over 60,000 men to serve in the Confederate forces during the War Between the States,  I believe that is the third highest of any southern state.................

Arkansas blood has been spilled to defend Alabama..............

Brer Hog

WE IDENTIFY!! 

Woo Pig Sooie

Brer Hog