Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' Place in the SEC

Started by WarEagle, October 03, 2006, 02:16:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WarEagle

Hey guys,
My first post.  I'm an Auburn guy who just stopped by to check things out before the game this weekend. 

This is not intended as a flame, just me being curious: How much do y'all identify w/ the SEC?  Obviously you are relative newcomers and geographically a bit removed from most of the SEC teams.  I noticed that a lot of your comments seem centered on things in Texas and Missouri, so I was wondering if y'all are really into the SEC thing or what.

Thanks, and let's hope for a clean, well-called and injury-free game this weekend.  War Eagle!!
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

311Hog

Sure we identify more with SW/Middle states, but we like football we are rabid about it.  I think it is correct though that boarder/intra state wars bear the most fervor.

TXrazorback

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 02:16:55 pm
Hey guys,
My first post.  I'm an Auburn guy who just stopped by to check things out before the game this weekend. 

This is not intended as a flame, just me being curious: How much do y'all identify w/ the SEC?  Obviously you are relative newcomers and geographically a bit removed from most of the SEC teams.  I noticed that a lot of your comments seem centered on things in Texas and Missouri, so I was wondering if y'all are really into the SEC thing or what.

Thanks, and let's hope for a clean, well-called and injury-free game this weekend.  War Eagle!!

Are you really into being a "war eagle"?  I noticed that a lot of your comments seem centered on things like Elephants and Tigers.

;)
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

Hawg_Heaven

The SEC is the best conference. That is why we are there. We are crazy about Football and want to be the best. Unfortunately, we haven't been that great as of late.

We do still like to play Texas.

Hawgasaurus

Apparently our place in the SEC is just barely a notch above Vandy... sad...
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: Hawgasaurus on October 03, 2006, 02:20:29 pm

Come on now! We are just lil ole Arkansas. Everyone knows that we can't get top notch recruits to come here because of that.

ToddW

The one thing I like about the SEC, is how many of our teams our dominant.  Look at all the good football programs we have here, and each year one several teams in our conference our going for the NC.  That right there says a lot in itself.  I grew up watching the SWC, but there are several teams i can't stand in the SEC even more than my distain for Texas A&M.  BAMA being one of those.

Go HOGS!
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

Hawgasaurus

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on October 03, 2006, 02:21:59 pm
Quote from: Hawgasaurus on October 03, 2006, 02:20:29 pm

Come on now! We are just lil ole Arkansas. Everyone knows that we can't get top notch recruits to come here because of that.

It's not the location that is hurting lil' ol' Arkansas...

Look to the Hypnotoad for the answer...

<---------------
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

hogsNbeer

Hey guys,

War Eagle....Welcome to the board.......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I...... SEC is the toughest conference in the land....... Only conference I want to be in.....

You must be proud of the Tigers..... Ya'll have a great football team......  Goodluck, and I too want a clean and injury free game.....

HogISH™

welcome war eagle, looking for a good game this weekend.

sec is the only place to be!

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

HogHillbilly

My post on here got deleted...................Hmmmmm
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

King-Tusk

We do belong in the SEC, we've just forgotten how to show it.   Good luck to your team this weekend and, of course, to ours.

Go Hogs(maybe AU will shoot themselves in the foot like Bama and Vandy)
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

Idahog

Quote from: hogsNbeer on October 03, 2006, 02:23:57 pm
Hey guys,

War Eagle....Welcome to the board.......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I......

Strange, I've never seen anyone make that comment on here, but I've been wrong enough in the past.

I'm glad UA is in the SEC, while people who have been in the SEC might look at AR as a young interloper on terf they are geographically isolated from, Arkansas has always been viewed as a part of the Southeast (at least thats what I was taught in school up in the Northwest) it only seems natural to be a part of the Southeastern Conference.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

stan the man

War Eagle, thanks to our stupidity you have the coach that we had a chance to get but as in most cases, we don't make very many right choices.  I wonder where  we would be today if we had chosen Tubervbille.     

WarEagle

Hey guys,

War Eagle....Welcome to the board.......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I...... SEC is the toughest conference in the land....... Only conference I want to be in.....

You must be proud of the Tigers..... Ya'll have a great football team......  Goodluck, and I too want a clean and injury free game.....

Thanks.  Yeah, I am proud of my Tigers this year.  I don't think we are as good as in 2004, but maybe the ball will bounce our way this year.  We certainly can't take any game for granted (was at the AU-SC game, and sweating in the upper deck despite the rain and wind) and need to be on top of our game.  Y'all had our number for a while there (1998-2002).  

So who do y'all consider your biggest rival?  I know the SEC tried to make y'all and LSU a rivalry w/ that golden boot thing.  Do y'all get particularly up for any of the SEC games more than others?  For Auburn, we want to beat Bama first, w/ Georgia and recently LSU as our next two biggest rivals.  I know y'all have played Texas lately (and I've been rooting for y'all big time) and used to play them a lot.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

jackwalker

Our biggest rival is still Texas.  Even though we don't play them with any regularity anymore.  There is not a team around that fans get up and root against more than Texas.

As for the SEC, yeah our official rivals are SC and LSU. But really it seems (to me anyway) that Alabama is the one SEC game that the fans go the craziest over.  Maybe it's because LSU has been so good lately, and we haven't...I dunno...
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

Arazorbackguy1

I think Auburn is just a bit overrated.  I mean you guys really haven't played anyone other than LSU, yet.  USC scored quite a bit and their offense is quite anemic.  Yeah, you guys took MSU behind the woodshed, but what team hasn't this year, other than that 1-AA team they played?  I feel that Arkansas will win this weekend, 35-17 behind the outstanding running of Felix and DMAC.  Yeah, Kenny Irons is good, but our cover corners are going to step up big time and force AU to run, run, run.  Fortunately for us, our defense looked pretty good against Darby and 'Bama last game.

Yes, AU's defense is incredibly fast, so look for a lot of misdirection runs and Play-action fakes to help keep them honest.  You are right about one thing....   HDN has had TT's number in the past and it looks to get back on track with that this year.  Mitch will come out firing and will keep the crowd out of it for most of the game.  Being down 35-0 in the fourth quarter, AU will try to mount a comeback, but 17 is all they will fair.  So much for an undefeated season for the Tigers...  but hey, I think you guys can beat Alabama   HAHA :) :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

GO HOGS!!!   Let's Fred Talley the Tigers again!!!
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

geoffhog

There is no one Sec team everyone consideres the team they want to beat. For some its Tennessee, others LSU, etc. The team I love to beat the most is Bama. So I guess we have something in common.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

311Hog

Yeah for me i cant choose, its a toss up between Bama, LSU, and the other burnt orange T team that we shall not mention.

Arazorbackguy1

It's kinda like that ole saying "What kind of snake is the best snake?   A dead one"   That's how I like my SEC opponents after we play them :)  They are all Rivals!!!
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

HogbyBirth

I think you answered your own question.  We have been in the SEC for just over 12 or so years.  My memory fails me on the exact year we started playing football in the league.  Most of us still have many memories of playing in the SWC and especially Texas.  Comments on this board will vary accordingly. 

Make no mistake.  There's not a poster here that doesn't want to reach the level and tradition of a Bama or Georgia in the conference.  We are happy to be here and happy to play such storied programs.  We have our own history and much of it is very good.  Recent years have not been kind to us fans but we do embrace the SEC with as much passion as you "Old Timers".

yraciv

Hey guys,

I doubt that! I'm going to put it to a poll.

PennHOG

Maybe we haven't been real competitive in football in the SEC but we have in other sports.  I seem to recall that one of the big motivations for moving to the SEC was because our basketball team who was dominating the country was playing cream puffs like rice and TCU.

In the 90s we had some classic battles with LSU and Kentucky.  One of these days we'll get back on top in football.  I really believe that.

Don't forget the Razorbacks domination in track & field.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

MrsPiggy

Here's a question: does anyone in the SEC see Arkansas as a rival?  We still consider Texas a rival but I guarantee Texas barely thinks about us anymore

hydrophonic

Welcome!

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 02:16:55 pmThanks, and let's hope for a clean, well-called and injury-free game this weekend.  War Eagle!!

We've been around the SEC long enough that we don't expect that.  Unlike the old SWC though, the bad calls seem to cut both ways most of the time.  I'm hoping we don't get the same officiating crew that did the Ole Miss/UGA game.  They were awful.

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 02:34:40 pmDo y'all get particularly up for any of the SEC games more than others?

I think most Hog fans like to beat Tennessee.  It's a natural transition; orange, obnoxious, over the top fans.  We tend to be like any other fan base though, who ever is on top is who we want to beat the most.  This year, that means YOU!
"The future sucks." "Change it."

jackwalker

Quote from: MrsPiggy on October 03, 2006, 03:01:35 pm
Here's a question: does anyone in the SEC see Arkansas as a rival?  We still consider Texas a rival but I guarantee Texas barely thinks about us anymore

Vanderbilt?
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

Rasta Hogmon

Hey guys,

Last time I checked we border Tennessee, Louisiana and Mississippi...in those states you will find...vols, Lsu, Ole Miss, Miss State and Vandy...include the HOGS and that is 6 of the 12 schools in SEC...Oh yes we are in the SEC and have at least an even record against your War Eagles, plainsman, tigers or who ever...Advantages to being in the Big 3 plus 9 would be a much easier schedule, a few teams closer, a few farther, a better winning record, fewer fans so traffic would be lighter, colder games on the road, more bowl games, and have to answer dumb questions like why are you in the big 12 since geographly you are in the South close to Mississippi, Tennessee and Louisiana....  

HogFaninGA

Back in the 50'-60's Arkansas had a pretty heated rivalry with Ole Miss. until they stopped playing them for some reasons.  If AR and Ole Miss. can ever get competitive again, I would like to see this rivarly start up again (at least more than it is today).

HogbyBirth

Quote from: Rasta Hogmon on October 03, 2006, 03:11:07 pm
Hey guys,

Last time I checked we border Tennessee, Louisiana and Mississippi...in those states you will find...vols, Lsu, Ole Miss, Miss State and Vandy...include the HOGS and that is 6 of the 12 schools in SEC...Oh yes we are in the SEC and have at least an even record against your War Eagles, plainsman, tigers or who ever...Advantages to being in the Big 3 plus 9 would be a much easier schedule, a few teams closer, a few farther, a better winning record, fewer fans so traffic would be lighter, colder games on the road, more bowl games, and have to answer dumb questions like why are you in the big 12 since geographly you are in the South close to Mississippi, Tennessee and Louisiana....  

Great Answer!

HogFaninGA

Hey guys,

This is a unique situation here.  I actually agree with Rasta on this one.  Good post.

Rasta Hogmon

Quote from: HogFaninGA on October 03, 2006, 03:13:14 pm
Hey guys,

This is a unique situation here.  I actually agree with Rasta on this one.  Good post.
I am not a hugger....I am not a hater...I am da Rasta Mon..da Rasta reasons with all sides....The only team he loves more than da Hogs is De Reggae Boyz.....real football....I stand for truth, justice and the American Way....Irie, Mon

kitshicker

Quote from: jackwalker on October 03, 2006, 03:08:47 pm

Vanderbilt?
NOOOOOOOOOooooo!!

hiphiphoorayhog

To me it is weird when the talk about series with the sec teams because they are like 14 gmes long. Those aren't series. It will take us a long time to have a true rival. Not a made up one like the Golden boot with LSU.

TennesseeRaz

Tennessee, but that's probably because I live in TN now.  Will be making my first trip to Auburn this weekend.

hogsanity

The bigger question is WHAT DOES THE REST OF THE SEC SEE AS OUR PLACE IN THEIR LEAGUE?

I mean, we know that for some freaking reason, most Hog fans seem like they would take a win over Texas before they would take one over Auburn, so obviously, many fans do not even want to be in this league. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

snortyann

War Eagle, Welcome.

I want a well-called, injury-free game too.

Hog fans have alot of fond and exciting memories of past SWC games. There's so much history and stories tied up with the old conference.

Alot of those teams are in the Big 12 now and I guess some of us would like to visit those rivalries again by changing conferences. I would guess most of those fans are of the older group that favor nostalgia.

I prefer the SEC uber alles and hope the UofA can build a football program with the right coach and staff to take us to the top of the SEC. I think you have to experience the lows before you can appreciate the highs. That's the most pleasant thing I can think to say here about our teams current situation. We kinda low to medi now. But you never know when the beginning of the highs will start. When things will start to click. I know Auburn has been there too. Maybe the next game it will.

Change happens. Expect the unexpected when the hogs play. Because our players are the best!

GO HOGS GO! BEAT AUBURN! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

sage_dragoon

I think Tennesee would be a great Rival if we were to be able to play them regularly(probably has to do with the orange).  I think LSU is a good rivalry as well. But ultimately, the game everyone goes bonkers over is when we play Texas.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

hogsanity

Quote from: sage_dragoon on October 03, 2006, 03:33:49 pm
I think Tennesee would be a great Rival if we were to be able to play them regularly(probably has to do with the orange).  I think LSU is a good rivalry as well. But ultimately, the game everyone goes bonkers over is when we play Texas.

Maybe I am wrong, would not be the first time, but I thought a rivalry was when both teams hated each other, and when winning that game was bigger than anything else during the season.  Like Tn/Bama. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogeye_Pierce

......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I......

I take issue with your MOST statement there. I think there is a SMALL vocal MINORITY that would like to see us in the Big XII. MOST of us would just like to see us get on a consistent competitive footing with the upper-tier in the SEC. We BELONG in the SEC, the greatest overall ATHLETIC conference in the country.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

Deuce Pigelow

I have a stupid question...If you are the Auburn Tigers, where does the Eagle come in??

WarEagle

Hey guys,

Didn't mean to offend you w/ my "dumb" question, but I think the facts (and the multiple responses from Arkansas fans w/ a variety of opinions) back me up.

Fayetteville is a long way from every other SEC school. Arkansas's closest geographic rival is Ole Miss, which is 402 miles away. Of course, 402 miles away seems downright neighborly when compared to the 1,040 miles that separate Arkansas from Florida. In the SEC where the fiercest rivals are often the closest of geographic foes, Fayetteville is a displaced and enigmatic distant cousin, the Puerto Rico of the SEC. A distinctly foreign place with its own rules, rhythms and way of life.  http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9684756

Our team is the Tigers.  Our battle cry is "War Eagle."  And even though you did own us for a few years (1998-2002), you certainly don't have an even record against us.  We lead the series 9-5-1.

Hog Fan 51

Yea, but lately I have developed a distaste for Tigers(both kinds), and volunteers, but it does not quite equal that of the longhorns. I think hog fans don't like Tennessee, because we have a born hatred of Orange
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

kitshicker

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on October 03, 2006, 03:37:48 pm
......  Yes, most on here would rather us be in the Big 12, but not I......

I take issue with your MOST statement there. I think there is a SMALL vocal MINORITY that would like to see us in the Big XII. MOST of us would just like to see us get on a consistent competitive footing with the upper-tier in the SEC. We BELONG in the SEC, the greatest overall ATHLETIC conference in the country.
Agreed, I would rather us rise to the level of the upper echelon (sp?) of the SEC.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 03:40:58 pm
Hey guys,

Didn't mean to offend you w/ my "dumb" question, but I think the facts (and the multiple responses from Arkansas fans w/ a variety of opinions) back me up.

Fayetteville is a long way from every other SEC school. Arkansas's closest geographic rival is Ole Miss, which is 402 miles away. Of course, 402 miles away seems downright neighborly when compared to the 1,040 miles that separate Arkansas from Florida. In the SEC where the fiercest rivals are often the closest of geographic foes, Fayetteville is a displaced and enigmatic distant cousin, the Puerto Rico of the SEC. A distinctly foreign place with its own rules, rhythms and way of life.  http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9684756

Our team is the Tigers.  Our battle cry is "War Eagle."  And even though you did own us for a few years (1998-2002), you certainly don't have an even record against us.  We lead the series 9-5-1.

The Hogs are to the SEC just what the Hogs were to the SWC:  The distant stepchild.  We were the only non-texas team in the SWC and we are the furthest away in the SEC. 

WarEagle

Quote from: Deuce Pigelow on October 03, 2006, 03:40:18 pm
I have a stupid question...If you are the Auburn Tigers, where does the Eagle come in??

Our team is the Tigers, which comes from a poem.  War Eagle is our battle cry (kinda like y'all w/ Wooo Pig, Sooie).  We got that from an actual eagle at the first football game we ever played (against Georgia in 1892).

Here's a more detailed explanation:

http://www.coloradotigers.com/concourse/traditions_mascots.htm

texhog

Quote from: WarEagle on October 03, 2006, 03:40:58 pm
Hey guys,

Arkansas is would be geographically on the "fringe" even if it were part of the Big 12.  Although Fayetteville is closer to Big 12 schools, and farther from SEC schools, unlike many states, Arkansas enjoys the fan base from the entire state.  So as soon as you cross the Miss river, you are in Hog country.  So, from that aspect, our Eastern Ark fan base is much closer to SEC schools than Big 12 schools.

sooie dog

Quote from: hiphiphoorayhog on October 03, 2006, 03:24:40 pm
To me it is weird when the talk about series with the sec teams because they are like 14 gmes long. Those aren't series. It will take us a long time to have a true rival. Not a made up one like the Golden boot with LSU.

Funny that you mention LSU.  Do you have any idea how many times we have played them?  We have played Ole Miss over 50 times and you can say that about LSU after this season also.

Razorback8

I like being in the SEC.  It is the best conference.  But it doesn't feel like home.  In the Big 12 we would be so much closer to Mizzou, K St, Kansas, OSU, and Oklahoma.  Heck, you can get to Univ of Texas and Iowa in less than 8 hours.  In the SEC no one is that close and only TN, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss St are within 8 hours.

However, I love NOT playing the old SWC teams.  Baylor, T Tech, Texas, and the Aggies.  They just don't do anything for anymore.  Distance is a factor.

sage_dragoon

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2006, 03:35:52 pm
Maybe I am wrong, would not be the first time, but I thought a rivalry was when both teams hated each other, and when winning that game was bigger than anything else during the season.  Like Tn/Bama. 

If that is the case, then we don't have a rival. I will say that, to me, LSU is the team I want to beat the most each year.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

kitshicker

Quote from: sage_dragoon on October 03, 2006, 04:05:09 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2006, 03:35:52 pm

If that is the case, then we don't have a rival. I will say that, to me, LSU is the team I want to beat the most each year.
Me too, but that's probably because down here in sw Arkansas, there are quite a few LSU fans.