Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

can we realistically beat Auburn?

Started by hogken, September 26, 2006, 01:33:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogken

i know now when focused , we can stop the run! but will we always sacrifice the pass play in doing so? can we be balanced on Defense? I think alot of times we pressure or blitz too much. we come heavy on 3rd down and we dont get to the QB nor do we stop the completed pass. I would rather have more coverage on 3rd down after blitzing 1st and 2nd downs. any thoughts?
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

jamie72921

Bless your heart

Hawgasaurus

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

dirthog

"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

hogken

one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

razorbackfan4life

Nope, we could realistically beat them if Mitch throws a near perfect game and D-Mac goes for 150+.  Our defense would have to hold them to 300 or less yards.

Hoggimistic

Is Auburn better than us on paper?  Should they win.....?

Well, the answer is yes.  However, we're talking about kids here......and with kids, you never know what you're going to get.

That's why I love college football.  Upsets happen every week.

I understand some people being pessimistic, but what's the fun in that?

I'm going at it like we have a shot to win......because we do. 

JDHogg

Quote from: hogken on September 26, 2006, 01:33:33 pm
i know now when focused , we can stop the run! but will we always sacrifice the pass play in doing so? can we be balanced on Defense? I think alot of times we pressure or blitz too much. we come heavy on 3rd down and we dont get to the QB nor do we stop the completed pass. I would rather have more coverage on 3rd down after blitzing 1st and 2nd downs. any thoughts?

What drove me crazy on about three plays was that we sent our best cover guys either out to rest or on the blitz on third and long and blitzed leaving 2nd and 3rd teamers to go man on man with that &*%#81.  They converted almost every time. 

You have to believe you COULD win, otherwise why do you turn on the TV or radio?
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

DoubleJ

krack1925

No we shouldn't, I didn't think we had a shot a texas a few years ago either... so what do i know...

LCABrandon

this is when i hate being an optimist...  

SPAL

hogken

i agree.....very unpredictable...i mean who in their right mind would ever think a kicker could or even would miss 4 kicks? WOW! Hogs-24 War Eagles-17

dotnet

Arkansas can realistically win any game.  I think we had a much better shot against USC than we do Auburn.

SPAL

Quote from: hogken on September 26, 2006, 01:43:13 pm
i agree.....very unpredictable...i mean who in their right mind would ever think a kicker could or even would miss 4 kicks? WOW! Hogs-24 War Eagles-17 War Eagles 54 Hogs 16

Fixed that for ya

brooks74

My head says no, my heart says there is always a chance.  The only way we win is to get multiple turnovers that turn into points and we catch Auburn as a trap game.

GrizzledHogFan

Can we?  Yes.  We also could've beaten USC twice.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

mayorhog

I say   NO

and lets not talk about the kicker,   heard he tried to commit suicide by hanging and failed.......

He couldnt kick the chair out from under him.

thats funny i dont care who you are.....
but probably get in trouble for it..  sorry mod people  could help it

hawgfan_18

personally i don't think we will come close to beating auburn so realistically i don't believe we can beat them. they're just too good.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hogken on September 26, 2006, 01:37:27 pm
thats what many said about Bama!

We basically did get beat by Bama....Except on the scoreboard..... When the opponent misses that many FGs, and they lose-- well that doesn't really mean that we "beat" them....Means more like we dodged a bullet and Bama did what they had to do to lose.......... From my vantage, We were beaten....

Realistically, we have zero chance in winning at Auburn short of an Auburn meltdown......or the Tigers forget where their stadium is.... That's sad to say.......

dotnet

Quote from: mayorhog on September 26, 2006, 01:47:28 pm
I say   NO

and lets not talk about the kicker,   heard he tried to commit suicide by hanging and failed.......

but probably get in trouble for it..  sorry mod people  could help it

I'll vote for that not being funny

DoubleJ

I say   NO

and lets not talk about the kicker,   heard he tried to commit suicide by hanging and failed.......

but probably get in trouble for it..  sorry mod people  could help it
I think it's funny, but my buddy made a similar post and it got sent to the trash...Some people take things too seriously.

DoubleJ

Quote from: hogsNbeer on September 26, 2006, 01:50:30 pm

We basically did get beat by Bama....Except on the scoreboard..... When the opponent misses that many FGs, and they lose-- well that doesn't really mean that we "beat" them....Means more like we dodged a bullet and Bama did what they had to do to lose.......... From my vantage, We were beaten....

Realistically, we have zero chance in winning at Auburn short of an Auburn meltdown......or the Tigers forget where their stadium is.... That's sad to say.......
Does this mean that we beat LSU last year???

claycohog

TCBNAFLASH

I was listening to Lou on ESPN earlier and he said that Auburn will have trouble against S Carolina b/c they don't have good recievers and you can play man-to-man against them while you try to stop the run. Sounds like a team that the razorhogs can beat if you think Holtz knows what he is talkin bout  :razorback:

piggly wiggly

wwwhogfan

Let's see.....Auburn is quite likely better than USC this season.....do the math.

Hogeye_Pierce

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

Hoggimistic

Except on the scoreboard......?

That's officially the dumbest thing I've ever heard. 

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: TCBNAFLASH on September 26, 2006, 01:54:56 pm
I was listening to Lou on ESPN earlier and he said that Auburn will have trouble against S Carolina b/c they don't have good recievers and you can play man-to-man against them while you try to stop the run. Sounds like a team that the razorhogs can beat if you think Holtz knows what he is talkin bout  :razorback:

I believe Lou ALSO picked us to upset USC.
Methinks he is a homer for his former teams.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Hoggimistic on September 26, 2006, 02:06:03 pm

good for you... makes perfect sense to me....

Roadrunner

alabama is not ranked #2 in the nation and barely beat vandy and hawaii.
the only way we win is if someone kidnaps auburn or gives the team a stomach virus.
there isn't a comparison between the two teams
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Hoggimistic

Quote from: hogsNbeer on September 26, 2006, 02:08:41 pm

Which also makes perfect sense...if you think about it.

By the way, we should all rejoice.....

We won all our games last year....except on the scoreboard.

Roadrunner

Quote from: TCBNAFLASH on September 26, 2006, 01:54:56 pm

holtz is an idiot.
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

DoubleJ

How does that make sense?  The object of the game is to score more points.  We did that, therefore, we beat Bama.  Missed FGs are a part of the game.  "When the opponent misses that many FGs, and they lose-- well that doesn't really mean that we "beat" them."  Yes it does!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggimistic on September 26, 2006, 02:10:11 pm

Which also makes perfect sense...if you think about it.

By the way, we should all rejoice.....

We won all our games last year....except on the scoreboard.

When it comes right down to it, the final score is the ONLY thing that matters. Period.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LRPig

hogsNbeer

Quote from: DoubleJ on September 26, 2006, 02:12:39 pm

How does that make sense?  The object of the game is to score more points.  We did that, therefore, we beat Bama.  Missed FGs are a part of the game.  "When the opponent misses that many FGs, and they lose-- well that doesn't really mean that we "beat" them."  Yes it does!!!

Do you play pool?  Play 8 ball....... Break, run the table, scratch on the 8 ball.......   Did your opponent win?   Yes he won, but he didnt' really beat you.....He never shot....  You just LOST the game?   Same way I'm thinking on the football game.....

No shitte FGs are apart of the game.....  Didnt' say they weren't..........  It just doesn't make sense to me to be all giddy after we beat an AVG Bama(at best) team because they MISSED 3 FGs....and won in the same fashion against VANDY.......   Doesn't seem like we beat them, but they just LOST the game for themselves..... That's all......

woodhog14

DriveByHogger

I say   NO

and lets not talk about the kicker,   heard he tried to commit suicide by hanging and failed.......

but probably get in trouble for it..  sorry mod people  could help it

Just as funny now as it was after the '86 Texas game.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

cityhog

On paper? No. 

In the crazy world of college football where a kicker misses chip shot field goals and a PAT in overtime?  YES.

idochog

Since Auburns kicker is gonna be kicking alot of extra points and not FGs, I would say no.
I love Jesus!

Hog Belly

Yes. Anything can happen. I've seen weirder things happen. Probability is that we will not.

hogfan65

Yes, Auburn is good but, any team on any given day can be beat... :)

darkhogfan

Then would it qualify as a moral loss?
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

DeltaBoy

Yes because this is College Football! Teams have off days as the Sooner's did last year against TCU. The players are still college kids their minds wander and they screw up.  It is possible just not probable.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kitshicker

If we played them 100 times, they would probably beat us 99/100.....maybe this is our time....By the way, what movie is that from, I can't remember.

DoubleJ

Quote from: hogsNbeer on September 26, 2006, 02:20:23 pm
Quote from: DoubleJ on September 26, 2006, 02:12:39 pm

Do you play pool?  Play 8 ball....... Break, run the table, scratch on the 8 ball.......   Did your opponent win?   Yes he won, but he didnt' really beat you.....He never shot....  You just LOST the game?   Same way I'm thinking on the football game.....

No shitte FGs are apart of the game.....  Didnt' say they weren't..........  It just doesn't make sense to me to be all giddy after we beat an AVG Bama(at best) team because they MISSED 3 FGs....and won in the same fashion against VANDY.......   Doesn't seem like we beat them, but they just LOST the game for themselves..... That's all......
You don't have to be all giddy, but you can accept the fact that we beat Bama.  If a team loses, then they got beat regardless of what led to the final score.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: kitshicker on September 26, 2006, 02:46:29 pm
If we played them 100 times, they would probably beat us 99/100.....maybe this is our time....By the way, what movie is that from, I can't remember.

I think it was this one. Only I think it was 9 out of 10.

kitshicker

thanks!! that was bugging the crap out of me