Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TROJANS ANNOUNCE CHANGE IN MEN'S BASKETBALL

Started by Seminole Indian, March 09, 2018, 01:06:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

LITTLE ROCK – Little Rock head men's basketball coach Wes Flanigan has been relieved of his duties, announced by Director of Athletics Chasse Conque.

"I am appreciative to coach Flanigan for his service to the university and our basketball program," Conque said. "At the conclusion of each season I evaluate each of our programs. Based on where we stand today, we felt our men's basketball program needed a change in leadership."

"Over the past three years, we have invested a great deal of resources to fund our basketball programs, ranking at the top of the Sun Belt Conference, with the goal of competing for championships," Conque continued. "That commitment, along with a strong university in a thriving metropolitan community, will make this a very attractive position as we work through a national search to find a top-notch coach to lead the Little Rock Trojans."

Flanigan was named the program's 22nd head coach on March 31, 2016 and posted a 22-42 record in his two seasons at the helm of the Trojans. Flanigan's 2016-17 team finished the season with a 15-17 overall record, including a 6-12 Sun Belt Conference mark, while this season's team went 7-25 and 4-14 in league play.

A nationwide search for Little Rock's next head basketball coach will begin immediately.

http://lrtrojans.com/news/2018/3/9/trojans-announce-changes-in-mens-basketball.aspx
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

the man never stood a chance of succeeding at Condom U.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

DeltaBoy

He could not recruit as good as Beard did.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

They had a lot of injuries this year and he permanently suspended one of his top scorers but they were just abysmal.
I hate it - I thought Flanigan would do well.

Hope for UALR's sake there's no hard feelings from the high school coaches in Central Arkansas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hoglady on March 20, 2018, 07:34:31 pm
They had a lot of injuries this year and he permanently suspended one of his top scorers but they were just abysmal.
I hate it - I thought Flanigan would do well.

Hope for UALR's sake there's no hard feelings from the high school coaches in Central Arkansas.

No love from Parkview I'm sure.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hoglady

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 20, 2018, 08:54:06 pm
No love from Parkview I’m sure.

I know it.
I thought with Flanigan's history and connections in the area that Wes would just be a great fit at UALR. The set up was great with Beard having a fantastic season prior to leaving.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FineAsSwine

March 21, 2018, 08:16:16 am #6 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:55:58 am by FineAsSwine
Quote from: hoglady on March 20, 2018, 09:21:11 pm
I know it.
I thought with Flanigan's history and connections in the area that Wes would just be a great fit at UALR. The set up was great with Beard having a fantastic season prior to leaving.

I thought he would be a great recruiter and cleanup on the kids that Arkansas didn't want or have room for instate. However, the losses plus the poor attendance forced a move by LR.
Hogs up! Covid down!

BLS50

Was very hopeful when Coach Flanigan hired after Coach Beard departed, that UALR would be able to build on the success of a great year.  Not sure if two years (three, if you count the year he was an assistant with Coach Beard) was enough time.  Lots of factors go into a coaching decision, and that's part of the job of the AD and UALR Leadership. A previous post indicated Flanigan could not recruit as good as Beard.  That may or may not be true.  Have no doubt Beard is a good Coach, based on his past and present accomplishments.  For sure, a passionate Coach.  I think the year he was at UALR was a good match.  Talent left from Coach Shields plus the new kids they brought in.  Some good fortune with the inherited talent, and a good coaching job from Coach Beard and his staff, gave Little Rock a great season.  If the info I looked at is accurate, four of the regular starters during that great season were in place when Coach Beard arrived - Roger Woods, Marius Hill, Kenny Osse and Josh Hagins.  Add to that the three others who started at various times - Liz Shoshi, Jermaine Ruttley, and Marcus Johnson, Jr.....and you have mixture of seasoned returning starters and some good new recruits. Beard was hired 8 April 2015, and there were 7 hold overs from the previous year.  Bottom line, I think Coach Beard and his staff (including Flanigan) did an amazing job and enjoyed watching the Trojans have a magical season. Beard departed in March 2016 and Flanigan hired.  I liked Flanigan as a Coach and wish him well.  Hopefully, the new UALR Coach will be able to build a sustained winning program.