Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 1964 Hogs should tell Bama to shut the hell up

Started by snoot hoggy hog, January 03, 2018, 03:16:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

goodguytex

Quote from: AP85 on January 03, 2018, 09:24:59 pm
1964. Who cares anymore....really??
Hog fans who actually think and believe we did earn a NC that year, with the grantland rice trophy in our trophy case to prove it?

holeinthewall

UCF game with Georgia Tech was the game that was cancelled.

Hogsolo

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 03, 2018, 03:21:58 pm
UCF has a legit case. They went undefeated, beat a few Top 25 teams this year, and beat the team that beat both teams in the National championship. Sounds like a national championship to me.

It was a shame they didn't get a shot at the playoffs with their record.  Special season in Orlando.

rzrbackrob

If you're trying to determine a national championship for division 1 football (FBS), and only teams in P5 conferences are actually eligible, then name it the P5 championship.

If nearly half the teams that play in division 1 college football (FBS) do not in reality have a legitimate shot at a championship, the system is illegitimate.

I'm sure that much like Bama, UCF can find some obscure organization or person to award them the championship this year.

Until every team starts out the year, and goes undefeated, has a chance to win the championship, the championship will remain a mythical national championship.
Good is the enemy of great

010HogFan

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 03, 2018, 04:54:20 pm
People didn't think they were going to beat Auburn until they beat them.

Completely different scenario playing a depressed Auburn team in the Peach Bowl and playing a Nick Saban coached Alabama team in the 4 team playoff. They would get donkey stomped.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rzrbackrob on January 04, 2018, 06:46:22 am
If you're trying to determine a national championship for division 1 football (FBS), and only teams in P5 conferences are actually eligible, then name it the P5 championship.

If nearly half the teams that play in division 1 college football (FBS) do not in reality have a legitimate shot at a championship, the system is illegitimate.

I'm sure that much like Bama, UCF can find some obscure organization or person to award them the championship this year.

Until every team starts out the year, and goes undefeated, has a chance to win the championship, the championship will remain a mythical national championship.
good point.  they should have a 4 team P5 playoff and a 4 team G5 Play off and then the two champs can play eachother for the FBS championship.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

seasonhog

Quote from: AP85 on January 03, 2018, 09:24:59 pm
1964. Who cares anymore....really??
Quote from: goodguytex on January 04, 2018, 03:01:47 am

Hog fans who actually think and believe we did earn a NC that year, with the grantland rice trophy in our trophy case to prove it?

The national media has never giving AR any credit......and nothing has changed.....

IF we would not have won our " 94" ...BB...NC on the floor....the media would never voting us as NC.

Swine-as-wine

since when, is beating Awdurn, a requirement for winning the national title?

HogShat

Quote from: HoopS on January 03, 2018, 06:27:12 pm
So you mean to tell me that if the Hogs were sitting in Bama or Georgia's spot right now, some of you would feel we were truly playing for second place because UCF went undefeated so therefore they're the champs?

Be honest.

Ok I see this and raise you one. If the Hogs were sitting in UCF's position how would you feel about it? If Bama wins, and I think they will, I think UCF has a legit gripe.

Smalltownhog95

Very simple solution to this. 8 team playoff. 5 conference champions with 3 wildcards. Ucf could have got in and proved whether or not they're champs.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

racinghog

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on January 04, 2018, 04:30:47 pm
Very simple solution to this. 8 team playoff. 5 conference champions with 3 wildcards. Ucf could have got in and proved whether or not they're champs.
So you would put a team in with 3 maybe 4 losses that upset some one in a conference championship game? And by the way they wouldn't have made it in this year either, they weren't in the top 8.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 03, 2018, 04:29:09 pm
The transitive property does not apply in sports.  If A>B and B>C then A>C.  This is what they are saying.  Applies in the math classroom, not in sports.
Yes, it does apply. Bruce Jenner had a transitive property, right?

racinghog

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Im ok with it, great marketing and probably will create some buzz with recruits.  Probably make some money on memorabilia too.  Additionally, they wanted to be in a P5, they were interested in the big 12 when they were looking.  Lots of cases of teams with weak schedules winning it, Ohio St. and maybe Bama this year are decent examples.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on January 04, 2018, 04:27:18 pm
since when, is beating Awdurn, a requirement for winning the national title?

Evidently you need to lose to Auburn to have a chance to win the championship.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HoopS on January 03, 2018, 06:27:12 pm
So you mean to tell me that if the Hogs were sitting in Bama or Georgia's spot right now, some of you would feel we were truly playing for second place because UCF went undefeated so therefore they're the champs?

Be honest.

No... We just wouldn't give a damn. Let them claim what they want. Maybe it will spark a truer play-off...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

AirWarren

mykidsdad

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 03, 2018, 05:22:20 pm
They are undefeated and won every game they had an opportunity to win. If people don't like them claiming they are national champs, make a playoff system that would include an undefeated team from a mid major.

You are correct. I hereby declare UCF as national champions of the mid-major schools. Well done. They were able to beat what 1 power 5 five that had already lost to 3 other teams. Impressive.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 03, 2018, 05:49:55 pm
Auburn also lost to a mediocre LSU team.

And LSU lost to Troy, therefore Troy is better than UCF

That's why the A beat B, B beat C, therefore A is greater than C analogy doesn't work (I know that wasn't your point)

Too bad their Ga Tech game wasn't made up.  They aren't top 25 but that was likely a loss

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 03, 2018, 04:02:30 pm
They beat the team that beat both the teams playing in the title game and they are undefeated. In this flawed system they deserve a title claim as much as anyone.

Wrong. the diffference between now and 1964 is that we now have a RECOGNIZED NCAA Division 1 Football Champion , not like in years past where various organizations named their own champions.

Would be like if Alabama came around and said "you know WE beat Arkansas in mens basketball in the 93/94 season, therefor WE won the national championship that year"

no sorry, there is a recognized system for naming that champion and you didn't win.

Sorry, either Bama or Georgia will be the football national champion for last season.

No sense getting made at other teams making claims though, just laugh .

RebelliousHog

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 04, 2018, 03:49:47 am
UCF game with Georgia Tech was the game that was cancelled.

Thu, Aug 31 vs FIU W61-17 1-0 (0-0)

Fri, Sept 8   vs Memphis Canceled

Sat, Sept 16 vs Georgia Tech Canceled

Sat, Sept 23 @ Maryland W38-10 2-0 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 30 vs Maine Canceled

And my bad. UMemph game was rescheduled and they did win.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

HoopS

Quote from: HogShat on January 04, 2018, 04:27:54 pm
Ok I see this and raise you one. If the Hogs were sitting in UCF's position how would you feel about it? If Bama wins, and I think they will, I think UCF has a legit gripe.
I am sure I'd hope we'd get some kind of credit and I'd be openly challenging the winner, but deep inside I'd know we simply played a softer schedule. It's precisely why our basketball team upgraded their schedule - our conference wasn't considered strong enough so we had to bolster our SOS out of conference.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 03, 2018, 05:29:31 pm
If you own the town record for homeruns hit in a season against organized high level competition, do you worry about the little kid that says he hit it further out of the same park in a pick-up game one day?

Most rational people wouldn't give it a second thought, let alone giving it any credence by recognizing it as something that is legitimately worth being concerned about.

Story of my life, pal.  :'(
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

IronHog

Quote from: goodguytex on January 04, 2018, 02:58:42 am
Yes they did. And UCF beat everyone they played, including a team that beat 2 teams playing for the NC. I don't think they have a right to claim NC. But I can understand their reasoning.

Let LSU beat on them then let them go play Bama and Ga

It's the grind that's tough
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.