Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 1964 Hogs should tell Bama to shut the hell up

Started by snoot hoggy hog, January 03, 2018, 03:16:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

racinghog

they are jealous that some else is trying to copy them!

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: racinghog on January 03, 2018, 03:17:54 pm
they are jealous that some else is trying to copy them!

UCF has a legit case. They went undefeated, beat a few Top 25 teams this year, and beat the team that beat both teams in the National championship. Sounds like a national championship to me.

sowmonella

I'm fine with it as long as they don't mess with our 5 National Championships.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

TexasRazorback

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 03, 2018, 03:16:03 pm
Bama fans are mad because UCF is claiming a national championship using..........Bammer Logic.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/1/3/16842584/ucf-national-championship-claim?__twitter_impression=true

Bama fans have nothing to complain about. They claimed the 1941 national title with a 9-2 record and finished 20th in the AP. In college sports these days you can claim any title you want, just look at Okie Light. they claimed the 1945 title this year even though Army won the title and received 116 out of 116 votes in the AP that year

hogsanity

The 64 team should just enjoy being alive at 70+ like all of the living ones are.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 03, 2018, 03:21:58 pm
UCF has a legit case. They went undefeated, beat a few Top 25 teams this year, and beat the team that beat both teams in the National championship. Sounds like a national championship to me.
they ARE the real champs. everybody else lost.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Lao Tsuie

let the 64 bama and arkansas players decide it on the field...

Who can got this done?

HogFansReunited

Quote from: HoopS on January 03, 2018, 03:51:18 pm
lol no

They beat the team that beat both the teams playing in the title game and they are undefeated. In this flawed system they deserve a title claim as much as anyone.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hoggusamoungus

As the committee pointed out, their strength of schedule was a negative.  In September, Mississippi State went 1-2 in a three game stretch of LSU at home then on the road at Georgia and Auburn.  I don't think UCF would have come though that same schedule without a loss or two.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Lao Tsuie on January 03, 2018, 03:55:15 pm
let the 64 bama and arkansas players decide it on the field...

Who can got this done?

Jerry.  Could play it at his stadium and call it the Nursing Home Bowl.

HoopS

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 03, 2018, 04:02:30 pm
They beat the team that beat both the teams playing in the title game and they are undefeated. In this flawed system they deserve a title claim as much as anyone.
nice season. Their sos is way too weak to be considered national champs though.

rljjr

Quote from: sowmonella on January 03, 2018, 03:26:18 pm
I'm fine with it as long as they don't mess with our 5 National Championships.

EXACTLY!!!

hog of steele

I am accepting this. In my head, Bama and GA are playing for runner up. Well done UCF

jkstock04

A few?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: HogFansReunited on January 03, 2018, 04:02:30 pm

The transitive property does not apply in sports.  If A>B and B>C then A>C.  This is what they are saying.  Applies in the math classroom, not in sports.

010HogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 03, 2018, 03:47:28 pm
they ARE the real champs. everybody else lost.

You think they could line up and beat Alabama in the college football playoff? I don't.

jkstock04

The only real team they played in the regular season was Memphis. If they are serious about being a contender they need to schedule high end non conference opponents, that's the only way they will get a shot. That and continue to dominate their conference.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: HoopS on January 03, 2018, 04:14:51 pm
nice season. Their sos is way too weak to be considered national champs though.

So what their schedule is weak? Ohio State made several national championship appearances with their joke of a schedule.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

rljjr

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 03, 2018, 04:44:45 pm
The only real team they played in the regular season was Memphis. If they are serious about being a contender they need to schedule high end non conference opponents, that's the only way they will get a shot. That and continue to dominate their conference.

I agree, but I think UCF has as much upside as any program in America in term of a huge undergraduate population (who will become big money donors over time), a large TV market, a talent-rich area, and the recent decline of Florida and FSU. The problem UCF has to conquer is being a stepping stone school. The didn't make an upgrade with their coach this time, and that will hurt.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 03, 2018, 04:37:02 pm
You think they could line up and beat Alabama in the college football playoff? I don't.
People didn't think they were going to beat Auburn until they beat them.

jimmur74

Theyhave ZERO case!! They would lose 3-4 in a power 5 conference

jimmur74

No way in H E double hockey stick

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 03, 2018, 04:37:02 pm

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 03, 2018, 04:29:09 pm
The transitive property does not apply in sports.  If A>B and B>C then A>C.  This is what they are saying.  Applies in the math classroom, not in sports.

They are undefeated and won every game they had an opportunity to win. If people don't like them claiming they are national champs, make a playoff system that would include an undefeated team from a mid major.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: jimmur74 on January 03, 2018, 05:08:55 pm
Theyhave ZERO case!! They would lose 3-4 in a power 5 conference

They did what they had to do......win

Member #3568

MuskogeeHogFan

Bama fans are mad because UCF is claiming a national championship using..........Bammer Logic.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/1/3/16842584/ucf-national-championship-claim?__twitter_impression=true

If you own the town record for homeruns hit in a season against organized high level competition, do you worry about the little kid that says he hit it further out of the same park in a pick-up game one day?

Most rational people wouldn't give it a second thought, let alone giving it any credence by recognizing it as something that is legitimately worth being concerned about.
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

UCF can claim whatever they want... it has absolutely no legitimacy.  The difference in the past was that multiple organizations muddied the water by awarding championship titles.  This is simply a cheap, theatrical marketing play awarding themselves a championship.  There isn't likely to be any organization outside of Orlando that recognizes this as a legitimate claim. 

Our 64 championship wasn't something cooked up by the athletic department.  It was one of several groups in that era that actually did award us a championship.  Bama has their claim because another legitimate source awarded them one before they lost their bowl. 

Otherwise, I hereby claim the undisputed heavyweight boxing heavyweight in the world... I have never lost a single fight.  I have also never won one either, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I have zero defeats. 
Poker Porker

RebelliousHog

And they had an early game will h Memphis cancelled. 2nd game of the year. Odds are they might have lost that game. I agree that they (UCF) played a weak schedule. Records of the team's they played was 74-72, with 7 teams at .500 or less.  A decent team, and they are, with a month to get ready, could beat a better  team given the right circumstances ( see Ar. in 78).
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

goodguytex

Yes they do. Auburn,who ucf beat, defeated both bama and Georgia. Lost to Georgia once too. But especially if bama wins the NC, ucf has a very good point to make.

majestic

Quote from: The Kig on January 03, 2018, 05:33:04 pm
Otherwise, I hereby claim the undisputed heavyweight boxing heavyweight in the world... I have never lost a single fight.  I have also never won one either, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I have zero defeats. 
I don't think they have a legit claim, just based on the fact that they aren't in the tournament. But your analogy fails since they did actually fight. And they won every fight they were in.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: goodguytex on January 03, 2018, 05:42:11 pm
Yes they do. Auburn,who ucf beat, defeated both bama and Georgia. Lost to Georgia once too. But especially if bama wins the NC, ucf has a very good point to make.

Auburn also lost to a mediocre LSU team.

hogfooey

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 03, 2018, 04:09:19 pm
Jerry.  Could play it at his stadium and call it the Nursing Home Bowl.
Jerryatric Bowl
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

HoopS

So you mean to tell me that if the Hogs were sitting in Bama or Georgia's spot right now, some of you would feel we were truly playing for second place because UCF went undefeated so therefore they're the champs?

Be honest.

Justagp

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 03, 2018, 05:49:55 pm
Good point - and they also lost to Clemson who Alabama beat soundly.

popcornhog

In 1964, champions were determined based on the regular season. Bama has claimed some absurd titles, but the 64 title was legit — as was ours. Split titles were possible back then.

Based on 1965-2013 rules, Arkansas would've been the undisputed champion in 64.

In 2018 they're determined based on the playoff.
WPS

hog of steele

Quote from: popcornhog on January 03, 2018, 06:40:17 pm
In 1964, champions were determined based on the regular season. Bama has claimed some absurd titles, but the 64 title was legit — as was ours. Split titles were possible back then.

Meh.

pigbacon

Quote from: popcornhog on January 03, 2018, 06:40:17 pm

I think Forbes should be invited to settle the '64 NC- award it to the team whose players have the greatest combined personal net worth.

okrazorback

Memphis  ha

26.2Hog

Quote from: pigbacon on January 03, 2018, 07:52:59 pm
I think Forbes should be invited to settle the '64 NC- award it to the team whose players have the greatest combined personal net worth.

A capital idea!

hawg1221

I have no problem with them claiming it. I'm pretty confident they wouldn't win it if they were in a power 5 conference, but that's not the point. No one can prove that as a fact, so you can't deny them based on what they've accomplished.

HoopS

Quote from: HoopS on January 03, 2018, 06:27:12 pm
So you mean to tell me that if the Hogs were sitting in Bama or Georgia's spot right now, some of you would feel we were truly playing for second place because UCF went undefeated so therefore they're the champs?

Be honest.
I figured a few would have already answered. Perhaps you missed my post.

If the Hogs had just won the SEC title and beat #1 Clemson (killed them) or #2 OU (epic OT battle), would you be OK admitting that while the SEC season was a grind, and we stepped out in the OOC beating a strong squad, won the West then the SECCG, and beating #1 or #2, dadgummit, UCF beat an Auburn Team who didn't want to be there and went undefeated against a weak schedule so truly that is the team most deserving of this title? Granted we still have another game to win against an SEC monster, still, I mean UCF had to beat Memphis twice so crap, they earned it over us.

Once again. Be honest.

PorkSoda

how can you win a national championship if you aren't playing in a NCG?

whoo whoo, UCF went undefeated in a G5  conference.  good for them.  rank them in the top 5.

yippee.

NC? no
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawg1221

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 03, 2018, 08:45:02 pm
how can you win a national championship if you aren't playing in a NCG?

whoo whoo, UCF went undefeated in a G5  conference.  good for them.  rank them in the top 5.

yippee.

NC? no

Winning it and claiming it are 2 different stories.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 03, 2018, 08:50:09 pm
Winning it and claiming it are 2 different stories.
I can claim to win the lottery.  that doesn't mean I can now afford a Ferrari
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawg1221

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 03, 2018, 08:51:52 pm
I can claim to win the lottery.  that doesn't mean I can now afford a Ferrari

The only problem with that is the lottery is concrete and a national championship would be referred to as abstract.

The Kig

Quote from: majestic on January 03, 2018, 05:47:23 pm
I don't think they have a legit claim, just based on the fact that they aren't in the tournament. But your analogy fails since they did actually fight. And they won every fight they were in.

No... Analogy works.  I have fought and won (never lost), just not in a bout that actually counts, which was sort-of the point.
Poker Porker

RollHogTide

As a Bama fan - I believe that UCF deserved to be in the playoffs over BOTH Bama and OSU.  Would they have won the NC?  I doubt it - but, there's no way of knowing.  I know that transitive properties don't apply to sports, but from what I could tell in their game with Auburn - they deserved it.

I equate them to Boise State under Chris Peterson - great records, could beat anyone on any given day - but, unfortunately for them, they aren't a member of a P5 conference and therefore don't receive the same consideration for their accomplishments.  If they want to hang a banner, pay their coaches, have a parade - then more power to them, they handled their business and should be very proud.

AirWarren

goodguytex

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 03, 2018, 05:49:55 pm
Yes they did. And UCF beat everyone they played, including a team that beat 2 teams playing for the NC. I don't think they have a right to claim NC. But I can understand their reasoning.