Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broadcast Announcers

Started by WedgeBuster, January 02, 2018, 11:24:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WedgeBuster

Recent posts on HV have identified announcers that are borderline un-listenable (Beth Mowins calling football, Doris Burke calling basketball games, and Bill Walton in an altered state calling basketball games), so it begs the question: what announcers do you enjoy listening to?

Although he mostly does Big 12 games, I think Gus Johnson is the most enjoyable college football announcer, and Chris Collinsworth is the best pro announcer (haven't listened to him much this year as I refuse to watch the NFL). I also enjoyed listening to Bobby Knight call college basketball games.

Some people might disagree with this, but I did not enjoy listening to Gary Danielson and Verne Lundquist. I think Gary is better with Nessler as Verne had lost his touch with age.

This is not limited to just football announcers, so in a rare positive post, who do y'all think are the best broadcasters to listen to?

davril98

Collinsworth drives me nuts.  I think Gruden is the most entertaining Pro announcer.  Aikman and Buck make a pretty good tandem.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WedgeBuster on January 02, 2018, 11:24:13 am
Recent posts on HV have identified announcers that are borderline un-listenable (Beth Mowins calling football, Doris Burke calling basketball games, and Bill Walton in an altered state calling basketball games), so it begs the question: what announcers do you enjoy listening to?

Although he mostly does Big 12 games, I think Gus Johnson is the most enjoyable college football announcer, and Chris Collinsworth is the best pro announcer (haven't listened to him much this year as I refuse to watch the NFL). I also enjoyed listening to Bobby Knight call college basketball games.

Some people might disagree with this, but I did not enjoy listening to Gary Danielson and Verne Lundquist. I think Gary is better with Nessler as Verne had lost his touch with age.

This is not limited to just football announcers, so in a rare positive post, who do y'all think are the best broadcasters to listen to?

Bill Walton is in altered state before he ever gets to the arena to do the broadcast.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WedgeBuster

Quote from: davril98 on January 02, 2018, 11:28:57 am
Collinsworth drives me nuts.  I think Gruden is the most entertaining Pro announcer.  Aikman and Buck make a pretty good tandem.

Gruden is a good choice as far as entertaining goes.  Hope the rumors he goes to the Raiders is true. Aikman and Buck are good too, just hate how big of a homer Aikman is when calling Cowboys games.

WedgeBuster

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:29:53 am
Bill Walton is in altered state before he ever gets to the arena to do the broadcast.

I wish Dick Vitale would take some of the stuff Walton takes so he can melo out before calling a game. I can't stand Dickie V, he is just talking head who couldn't cut it as a coach and makes a living off fake energy and hot takes.

texhog

Actually I think Romo does a very good job.  Lot of insight into the game.

WedgeBuster

Quote from: texhog on January 02, 2018, 11:35:48 am
Actually I think Romo does a very good job.  Lot of insight into the game.

Agreed. I don't why it's so hard for ESPN and other sports networks to understand we just don't want female announcers on men's football and basketball. It's not a gender thing, it just is a perspective thing.

Hogfan46

I like Tessitore and Blackledge for college and Nantz and Romo for NFL.

hawgdavis

Don't know his name but the guy on fox that calls college football games is incredible. When he calls a big play he is second to none.

hawgdavis

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 02, 2018, 11:41:27 am

Agree

Quote from: WedgeBuster on January 02, 2018, 11:38:52 am
Agreed. I don't why it's so hard for ESPN and other sports networks to understand we just don't want female announcers on men's football and basketball. It's not a gender thing, it just is a perspective thing.

You don't want the perspective of their gender.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 02, 2018, 11:41:27 am

BOOM!  Love Blackledge and Romo.

I like Aikman and Collinsworth as close 2nd's for NFL.

Hate listening to Herbstriet and Gruden.  Gruden offers too much but rah-rah type commentary, and well, I just don't like Herbstriet.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogsanity

Are we talking PBP or color commentator? Walton does not call the game, he adds commentary. Neither are Collinsworth, Gruden or Aikman or Danielson.

I want a PBP person that lets me know what is happening if I can't see it for some reason. Maybe I have the game on while I am doing some work or am watching two games at once, and I want to know what is happening. I want a color analyst that can tell me WHY something happened.

It's not a gender thing, it just is a perspective thing.

Keep telling yourself that. Mowins and Burke are better than several of the male pbp guys ESPN uses. They had some guys doing bowl games I had never heard before, and hope to never hear again.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WedgeBuster

Quote from: Karma on January 02, 2018, 11:44:53 am
You don't want the perspective of their gender.

What are you talking about?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WedgeBuster on January 02, 2018, 11:32:57 am
I wish Dick Vitale would take some of the stuff Walton takes so he can melo out before calling a game. I can't stand Dickie V, he is just talking head who couldn't cut it as a coach and makes a living off fake energy and hot takes.

Agree 100%.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Torqued pork

I like Blackledge, but am still trying to aquire a taste for Tessitore. He can be pretty loud and a bit of a motor-mouth sometimes.

lumphog

010HogFan

Quote from: hawgdavis on January 02, 2018, 11:42:29 am
Don't know his name but the guy on fox that calls college football games is incredible. When he calls a big play he is second to none.

Gus Johnson. Best in the business. It's a shame he doesn't do the big games or the NCAA tournament any more. Some people don't care for the screaming, but I think he is great.

jswineberiaskirk

Blackledge and Collinsworth on football analysis. Joe Buck and Nessler for pbp. I would still rather listen to Joe's dad call a Cardinals game on radio than anything. When he died I stopped listening to the Cards on radio.

cardinalandwhite

I think Andre Ware is an underrated announcer too, but I have to agree that Gus Johnson is the guy I enjoy listening to most of all.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

ballz2thewall

all of them are fine with me.
The rest of the frog.

bob slydell

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on January 02, 2018, 12:24:57 pm
I think Andre Ware is an underrated announcer too, but I have to agree that Gus Johnson is the guy I enjoy listening to most of all.

I like both of those guys.  I also like Ed Cunningham and Desmond Howard when he does actual games.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 02, 2018, 12:07:00 pm
Gus Johnson. Best in the business. It's a shame he doesn't do the big games or the NCAA tournament any more. Some people don't care for the screaming, but I think he is great.

I can do without his screaming on a 1 yard run.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Kneph13

anyone except Raycom announcers.
There is no Political Correctness in war

HogPokerPlayer

Doris Burke is very well respected and knowledgeable. She does a good job.  Not sure who this 'we' is.

For football, Gus and Romo are both really good I think.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogPokerPlayer on January 02, 2018, 01:04:32 pm
Doris Burke is very well respected and knowledgeable. She does a good job.  Not sure who this 'we' is.

For football, Gus and Romo are both really good I think.

The "we" are the same people that long for it to still be 58, the only question is whether that is 1858 or 1958?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

I like Gus Johnson a lot as well.

let me see if I can compile a list of others that I think are good, both PBP and color.

Joe Klatt
Brent Musberger
Blackledge
Brian Griese
Al Michaels
Mike tirico
Jim Nantz

Im sure I am missing a couple as well.

TeufelHog

I'm just tired of 2 or 3 of them yelling during big plays. 

John Futrall

I  like Fowler for college PBP, along with Brad Nessler.  For the pros, it's Nantz and Michaels.

Color, I actually do like Herbstreit.  Danielson used to be good, but he seems to have slowed down.  For the pros, Collinsworth and Gruden are tops

Porkette

I think Doris Burke and Beth Mowins are good commentators. They are both on top of things, articulate, and fair, and those are the most important qualities. It's fine to not like the sound of someone's voice (or their gender), but that isn't the same thing as being a bad commentator.
GO HOGS GO!

go hogues

Greg McIlroy is slowly rising as a great color guy as well. That guy has a plan and is working it.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

010HogFan

Quote from: BigSexyHog on January 02, 2018, 12:55:02 pm

I hear that all the time, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Seems like he only yells when it's a big play or a big moment from the times I've watched his games.

WedgeBuster

Quote from: BigSexyHog on January 02, 2018, 12:55:02 pm

This is a tremendous line.

Also, Manny Watkins did a great job announcing Arkansas basketball game earlier in the year.  I still don't believe Manny could ever dunk a basketball, but I do think he might have a future in calling games. He looks to me to be more of a radio guy then a TV guy.

HillBillyHogfan

I like Nessler and Gary Danielson. A lot of people dislike Danielson, but I like his takes.

Also, when those dudes are calling it you know you are watching a kick-a game.

I enjoy Sean MCDonough as well
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Dr. Starcs

Tessitore and Blackledge are my favorite.
Also like Wischusen and Huard.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Porkette on January 02, 2018, 02:09:28 pm
I think Doris Burke and Beth Mowins are good commentators. They are both on top of things, articulate, and fair, and those are the most important qualities. It's fine to not like the sound of someone's voice (or their gender), but that isn't the same thing as being a bad commentator.
I think they both do a great job, just can't hardly stomach listening to them.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 02, 2018, 02:25:17 pm
I hear that all the time, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Seems like he only yells when it's a big play or a big moment from the times I've watched his games.
I agree with him, a 12 yard gain on 2nd and 6 will make you run back in the room when he is on.

Southarkansashog

I've always been a nessler fan. But anyone but Dickie V will work

Großer Kriegschwein

Beth Mowins sounds like Darryl Hannah swallowed one of those throat voice emitter thingies.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsevenseven

Quote from: Southarkansashog on January 02, 2018, 06:06:59 pm
I've always been a nessler fan. But anyone but Dickie V will work
I can't stand to listen to Bill Raftery or Billy Packer either.

Danny J

Brad, Brock, Gus and Todd are the 4 best pbp/color men in sports IMHO.

oldfart

NMMIHog

Nessler and Nantz. My all time favorite was the MNF alternative, Jack Buck and Hank Stram on radio. Could not stand to listen to Cossell do anything but boxing. 

LRRandy

I always liked Musberger when he did games. Joel Klatt is very good. I like Gus Johnson. Herbstriet is good also.
This is fun, isn't it.

Foots

I miss Ron Franklin. I'd pair him with Blackledge. That'd be a great crew.

Hogarusa

It's not a gender thing, it just is a perspective thing.

Riiiigggggghhhhtttt, sure thats it. Good grief.

I dont have hatred of announcers like hogville does. Far more better than bad. With all the complaints about announcers and refs, how do some of you even enjoy sports?

Romo, Gus, Moose, Jessica Mendoza, Aikman, Buck, Doris, JVG, Walton, Costas, Michaels, Gruden, Nantz, Tirico, Breen, McDonough, Shulman, Herbstreit/Fowler, and Mike Emrick are all really good at their jobs
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Uncle Remus

Beth Mowins is the worst.  That is only because Verne Lundquist gave it up finally.  He had gotten bad the last couple of years.  He couldn't keep up with who was playing for 4 quarters.  Good for her that she was able to break through the glass ceiling...but just do it on our broadcasts.  I do not enjoy her calls and definitely turn her down and turn on the radio when she is calling the game. 

Uncle Remus

Oh yeah, I do enjoy Chris Fowler, Joe Tessatore, Joe Buck, and Brad Nessler.  Sometimes I really enjoy Gus Johnson....sometimes he is a little too much like the Dick Vitale of football.  There is such a thing as too over the top.  He was the best Madden Football announcer though.  His style fit the video game genre.

Think about how impossible a job being an announcer is. Even those that are at the top of their field are largely disliked by this board.