Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else excited watching...

Started by ChopSooie, January 01, 2018, 05:41:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChopSooie

The offenses the last couple of days and thinking how our players would fit.

I know the offense isn't exactly the same, but the motions, spreads, and RPO's have me wondering.

The offense seems to be a little of a talent equalizer.

Bkhardicars

I think you're right about the RPO being an equalizer. Oklahoma is an exciting offense.

cardinalandwhite

Watching Cole Kelley fun this offense next year should be fun!

"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Hogindasticks

I honestly think that the recruits the CBB had recruited will love the new offense and I think we have a ton of untapped talent and speed that we have not seen enough of.  With the addition of the new recruits, I am pretty excited....the kids are going to be, I guarantee you that.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on January 01, 2018, 06:11:13 pm
why would bert's qb be plugged in to start? QB competition will ensue.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hogindasticks

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 03, 2018, 10:30:40 pm
I think Daulton or Ty have a serious shot at winning the starting job in this offense

HogNTX

I'd say Cole could be very successful in this offense. He has a big enough arm to make the quick throws necessary and stretch the field. He's a bruising runner not a juke machine but he'd be much more than serviceable. Not saying he wins the job but he isn't automatically disqualified like it seems many people think.

RowNorseRow

1. Because he has the most experience of the QBs on the roster.

2. He fits CCM's system to a T. Single reads, Quick throws to the outside, and a BIG arm to take deep shots down the field.

3. He's a high energy guy, which CCM has said is exactly what he wants out of his QB.

4. He's 6'7, 270lbs and got his nickname "Steamboat" for a reason. He's mobile, just not that fast.

I don't care who recruited him, he's still a player to be excited about who played last year as a freshman with the worst Oline in the country. We knew it wasn't going to be pretty, but he battled through the season, and had a couple of decent come back wins. Connor Noland might or might not be great for the Hogs, we just simply don't know yet. Still yet, he doesn't have the intangibles that CK has. As of right now it's Cole's job to lose.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 03, 2018, 10:35:24 pm
I think Daulton or Ty have a serious shot at winning the starting job in this offense

I think your right, and i don't think for a second Cole has a chance....too slow.  When Jerry JR gets here, hang it up.

hawg1221

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 03, 2018, 10:26:00 pm
I honestly think that the recruits the CBB had recruited will love the new offense and I think we have a ton of untapped talent and speed that we have not seen enough of.  With the addition of the new recruits, I am pretty excited....the kids are going to be, I guarantee you that.

I agree. I think if the players can get the mental side of the plays down, you might be surprised at how good they can be in year #1. Now I'm not saying they'll be competing for the title, but for the first year of a new offense, they may look better than the normal fan would expect.

Hogindasticks

I think with the personnel that we have fits CM's offense better than CBB's.  It will show since we now have a coordinator that doesn't like to dance the same way every 4 downs.

870rzrback

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 03, 2018, 10:45:18 pm
I think your right, and i don't think for a second Cole has a chance....too slow.  When Jerry JR gets here, hang it up.
I don't think for a second Ty has a chance. Think he will transfer unless he just loves being in Fayetteville. Cole for sure has the best chance. Yeah he's slow but CCMs offense doesn't need a running QB.

VirginiaHog

Quote from: 870rzrback on January 03, 2018, 10:53:35 pm
I don't think for a second Ty has a chance. Think he will transfer unless he just loves being in Fayetteville. Cole for sure has the best chance. Yeah he's slow but CCMs offense doesn't need a running QB.
I see this as Coles to lose. Perfect for CCMs offense.

hawg1221

Just a few guys that interest me in this offense is Chase Hayden, TJ Hammonds, Jordan Jones, and CJ O'Grady. They all have speed and CJ has good hands.

Quickdraw

Quote from: VirginiaHog on January 03, 2018, 10:55:23 pm
I see this as Coles to lose. Perfect for CCMs offense.

Coach CM preaches speed, speed, speed. If you don't have speed your chasing it and he doesn't like chasing speed. Cole Kelly will compete but won't win out. He is too slow!!!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Quickdraw on January 03, 2018, 11:11:16 pm
Coach CM preaches speed, speed, speed. If you don't have speed your chasing it and he doesn't like chasing speed. Cole Kelly will compete but won't win out. He is too slow!!!

I think Cole wins the job. 

The SMU QB wasn't/isn't a speed guy. 

Retired Radio Host

Quickdraw

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 03, 2018, 11:13:46 pm

If he does I won't be disappointed. I do think he plays the guy who can grasp the offense and can think on his feet.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Quickdraw on January 03, 2018, 11:11:16 pm
agreed. it could be Daulton Hyatt or Noland's job. Kelley having 4 games of experience in a totally different offense means nothing.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hawgphat

I have no way of predicting how either the new offense or the new defense will materialize this next fall.  CCM appears to have a very different approach and schematic attitude than did Bielema.  I don't know how adaptive the current roster can be to the preferred form and function of CCM and his new staff.  I have no realistic preconceptions or expectations.  The football program will be starting from ground zero, - - with an entirely new - and different looking - slate and prioritized aims and methodology.

IMHO, it will effectively be a crap shoot.  Keep in mind that the comprehensively-overhauled schemes - both offensively and defensively -  will still be obliged to face the same SEC programs in direct competition next fall who are NOT starting from ground zero, and who already operate like well-oiled machinery.

We will be at a distinct disadvantage right out of the starting gate.  Entertaining unrealistic expectations could produce devastating disenchantment with the new program.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on January 01, 2018, 06:11:13 pm

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 03, 2018, 10:33:27 pm
I don't see it happenin.

I believe that Cole Kelly has a better shot than anyone else, and I can't explain why. I just feel it, but I sincerely hope you guys don't get so argumentative that you're calling people discussing the attributes of Cole Kelly a dumbass by the time of the spring game... Especially if he gets the job by then...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawg1221

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 03, 2018, 11:24:00 pm
agreed. it could be Daulton Hyatt or Noland's job. Kelley having 4 games of experience in a totally different offense means nothing.

That's a very good point.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hawgphat on January 03, 2018, 11:27:02 pm
I have no way of predicting how either the new offense or the new defense will materialize this next fall.  CCM appears to have a very different approach and schematic attitude than did Bielema.  I don't know how adaptive the current roster can be to the preferred form and function of CCM and his new staff.  I have no realistic preconceptions or expectations.  The football program will be starting from ground zero, - - with an entirely new - and different looking - slate and prioritized aims and methodology.

IMHO, it will effectively be a crap shoot.  Keep in mind that the comprehensively-overhauled schemes - both offensively and defensively -  will still be obliged to face the same SEC programs in direct competition next fall who are NOT starting from ground zero, and who already operate like well-oiled machinery.

We will be at a distinct disadvantage right out of the starting gate.  Entertaining unrealistic expectations could produce devastating disenchantment with the new program.

Don't worry it's coming for about 20% either way...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 03, 2018, 11:24:00 pm

He may not win the job, but four games experience in any offense still is a big boost.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 03, 2018, 10:35:24 pm

Cole just has so much confidence and I think he'll win the job and do well. But it all depends on who learns the new system the best. Didn't Cole run a similar system in HS?

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Pork Ranger on January 04, 2018, 06:35:10 am
Cole just has so much confidence and I think he'll win the job and do well. But it all depends on who learns the new system the best. Didn't Cole run a similar system in HS?
All 4 QBs ran the spread in HS

oldhawg

Quote from: Hawgphat on January 03, 2018, 11:27:02 pm

-  will still be obliged to face the same SEC programs in direct competition next fall who are NOT starting from ground zero, and who already operate like well-oiled machinery.

Coaching changes at two SEC opponents (Texas A&M and Mississippi State) will mitigate that somewhat. 

Four OOC wins (I don't take the Colorado State game for granted, but I do think it will be a "W"), two or three conference victories, early prediction puts the Razorbacks in a minor bowl game, but more importantly headed in the right direction.

Athog

Quote from: 870rzrback on January 03, 2018, 10:53:35 pm

True!

Tim Harris

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 03, 2018, 10:59:46 pm
Just a few guys that interest me in this offense is Chase Hayden, TJ Hammonds, Jordan Jones, and CJ O'Grady. They all have speed and CJ has good hands.

I would add Brandon Martin to that list. 

Tim Harris

I would assume that if a depth chart was released today Cole would be sitting number 1.  He is the only QB with any real experience.  That being said a new coaching staff means most every position will be up for grabs this spring.

bkjbearcat

It was interesting seeing Auburn look slow compared to UCF. UCF seemed faster on both sides of the ball. With a bunch of 2's and 3's faster then Auburns 4's and 5's. Don't tell me this conference can't be had. BB seemed like he didn't believe in speed. CM speed is the name of the game. Should be interesting to see who we can recruit in the following years. 
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 03, 2018, 11:13:46 pm

Cole is way too inaccurate with the deep ball and even the intermediate balls.  IMO. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jgphillips3

Ty is probably a good kid and might be a decent QB but it's going to be either Cole or Daulton that start next year and you have to give the early nod to Cole at least until we can see them in Spring.  There is no skill set where Ty has any obvious advantage over those two and they have more years left to play.  Also, I can't see any way a true freshman will come in and play right away unless they just go all Matt Jones, freak level display.

Porkys Revenge

I wouldn't be too quick to write off Storey. He held offers from Bama, Auburn and Louisville. Kelley had no other SEC offers and we all know that Bert played favorites. The Clary fiasco is proof of that.

Should be an exciting spring - One where the coach doesn't name the starter on the 3rd day of practice. Can't wait!

hawgmasta

Quote from: Bkhardicars on January 01, 2018, 06:02:19 pm
I think you're right about the RPO being an equalizer. Oklahoma is an exciting offense.

I believe the announcers said OU had the 52nd ranked defense; and still took Georgia to the wire. A great defense is necessary usually but at a place like Arkansas, where it's always been hard to recruit a strong D; I think focusing on a dynamic offense was what the powers that be were thinking.

hogsanity

Do the hogs have the same type of athletes as OU or GA? Do they have backs like they have? can the OL block like they can? IF not, then why would I be excited watching something the Hogs can't do at the same level?

Sure, the Hogs can run the same type of plays, but do you really think they will be as successful with slower backs, poorer blocking and slower receivers?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PharmacistHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 03, 2018, 11:28:17 pm
I believe that Cole Kelly has a better shot than anyone else, and I can't explain why. I just feel it, but I sincerely hope you guys don't get so argumentative that you're calling people discussing the attributes of Cole Kelly a dumbass by the time of the spring game... Especially if he gets the job by then...

Rest easy. That won't happen but once if it happens. Its a new day and we are done with bashing players.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgmasta on January 04, 2018, 08:08:55 am
I believe the announcers said OU had the 52nd ranked defense; and still took Georgia to the wire. A great defense is necessary usually but at a place like Arkansas, where it's always been hard to recruit a strong D; I think focusing on a dynamic offense was what the powers that be were thinking.

at some point you still have to stop the other team. That is what GA did the entire 2nd half and what OU could not do to protect a 17 pt lead, and is why they are done.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SemperHawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 04, 2018, 07:36:13 am
I would add Brandon Martin to that list. 
As well as LaMichael Pettway, people forget Bama also wanted this dude and he is plenty fast.  I am interested to see what the fresh start and getting out of Bret's #UnCommon doghouse does for him.

jm

If the D isn't any better than it has been the last couple of years we will all be just as frustrated as everyone was last November. Morris the HERO can become Morris the BUM very quickly if he can't find some defense.

hogsanity

Quote from: jm on January 04, 2018, 09:24:18 am
If the D isn't any better than it has been the last couple of years we will all be just as frustrated as everyone was last November. Morris the HERO can become Morris the BUM very quickly if he can't find some defense.

Some will, but the offense above all people won't be. I still say they will be happy as can be, for at least a couple seasons, if the Hogs go 7-5 or 6-6 but score 35+ many times and throw a bunch and run some zone read stuff because they see "good" teams run that stuff and think it is the cure for all ills.

Atlhogfan1

Not excited.  Hope it works.  But not excited to watch it.  I enjoy watching qb's do their pre snap reads and oline work out their blocking assignments.  Not stand around and wait for the coach to tell them what to do from the sidelines before every play after they have looked at the defense.  I enjoy watching Chubb and Michel run through holes and break tackles.  Not bubble screen, bubble screen, bubble screen, zone read, bubble screen, zone read, RPO olineman downfield ignored, wr's blocking downfield before ball thrown beyond line of scrimmage, bubble screen.  I like watching the matchups of oline vs dline not one on one or two on two on the outside away from everyone else.  I enjoy seeing a defensive front take over a game.  DBs allowed to make plays downfield.  But its what football wants now so no choice. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

nwahogfan1

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 04, 2018, 11:24:35 am
Why Cole?

I was just messing around, but if he can clean up his fundamentals a bit, he could be incredible. Dude has a monster of an arm and CCM and some of our receivers could do real damage with him if he's playing well. That said, I have no idea showing win the QB competition this spring, but I have a feeling we leave the Spring with a promising prospect at QB
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Cinco de Hogo

Who ever wins the QB job will be the one that can think and react fast on their feet.  Think of why Drew Morgan was successful, he wasn't the fastest but it seemed he alway knew where to be and what the defensive player was going to do.  I think he was planning his move before and during catching the ball and then so many times we saw him juke a better athlete right out of his Jock strap.   Thats the ability a great spread QB has to have and players like Baker Mayfield has IT.

Al Boarland

I bet we don't see anyone talking negatively about "prairie dogging" until we have a few losses.

hogsanity

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 04, 2018, 12:25:05 pm
I bet we don't see anyone talking negatively about "prairie dogging" until we have a few losses.

I will be, I hate that stuff so much. Call the dang play go to the line and run it. What is funny is how people think that because a team does not huddle they are running some sort of fast offense. How many times do you see a team get to the line with 35 seconds left on the play clock, but still not snap it until under15 or even 10 because they stand there looking at the side line to see what stupid poster the GA holds up. Will it be " spiderman, Saturn, grapes, and Spongebob "? Or may " a jet, Thomas the Tank Engine, Bugs Bunny, and an orange "?

31to6

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 03, 2018, 11:28:17 pm
In spite of all the struggles it was clear that the team supported him. People think that a team will always get behind the "most talented" QB but sometimes a guy has every tool in the box but leadership.

I'm sure there will be a competition at every position, but I think those writing off Cole are just as mistaken as those penciling him in.

We just don't know how he will do in CCM's offense just like we don't know if, for example, Ty will suddenly prosper in a system that puts him the gun behind a more mobile OL instead of trying to operate under center, which he clearly struggled with.