Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports pet peeves...

Started by Ugly Uncle, December 28, 2017, 06:45:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Fans at a baseball game that get homerun-excited every time there is a fly ball.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Jimbob111

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 28, 2017, 06:45:59 pm
Let's hear yours.

Mine, a woman calling a college football game (ugh, this VT vs. OSUlite game)

I thought a lot about this and it's not that it's a woman for me, it's that it's Beth Mowins calling games. For some reason, it's the sound of her voice that gets me, regardless of her knowledge of the game.

My sports pet peeve would be LaVar Ball. I can't stand that guy, can't listen to him speak. Sure, his son MAY some day be a great NBA player but he really isn't yet.

It's part of why I can't stand Dez Bryant or Odell Beckham, jr. Do something first. Maybe it's because I watched Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison and Calvin Johnson go out and play at an outstanding level and be humble. My late father-in-law used to say "if you can walk the walk, you don't need to talk the talk".

So I guess that's my sports pet peeve, prima donnas who haven't earned it demanding for fans to acknowledge that they have.

Great thread, btw.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

jb11

So many good ones.  How about:

"He has an ankle" or "He has a knee" when referring to an injury.

Or "He has a contusion". Just say he has a bruise.

conwaycarl

Mine is the term physicality, seems to be the term of the year and every announcer has to use it.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hawgphish on December 29, 2017, 07:48:45 am
Players who run 20 yards upfield and do a celebration dance when they make a tackle for no gain and they are down 3 toichdowns.
Bingo!!!  Drives me nuts.  All about them instead of the team. 

hogsanity

Players making the "throw a flag " motion

replay in a college game of a play where the player gains a 1st down by 5 yards an they replay it so they can mark it back a half yard but it is still a 1st down

football games that take 4 hrs+

people complaining about the announcers. Just mute it and do the pbp yourself, you probably think you would be great at it anyway.

ineligible linemen downfield

prairie dog offense

fouling at the end of basketball games

thats just a few
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

December 29, 2017, 09:45:26 am #106 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:37:51 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: clew on December 29, 2017, 09:10:41 am
aTm man cheerleaders

That's why they call them Yell leaders. If they called them cheer leaders someone might sue them for not allowing women. Maybe that's why they wear those plain white uni's. No woman would be caught dead in those things. Actually on second though I don't believe they are "men".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jimbob111

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 29, 2017, 09:28:44 am
Bingo!!!  Drives me nuts.  All about them instead of the team. 

Exactly! I've never understood how you can celebrate with such extravagance when you're getting clobbered. Celebrate a good play? Sure. High five, bump (or pump?) fists and go back to playing.

A victory dance complete with choreography, down 3 scores with 4 minutes left, grates on my nerves something awful.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

jb11

TV timeout after a score and then another one after the kickoff which a lot of the time is a touchback.

oldman1015

Running backs like Alex Collins who just hand the ball to the ref.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

CPO Hog

PygmalionEffect2

Changing the rule on stopping the clock when running out of bounds in order to shorten the games but then just adding more commercials so the games are still the same length, just with more commercials and less football.

Players thanking some made up deity for allowing them to win the game over the players on the other team for reasons not entirely obvious to the viewer, but evidently the players on the losing team did deserve to be punished with a loss by said deity.

It always leaves me wondering what the losing team did to displease their maker.  But they never tell us.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on December 29, 2017, 10:17:33 am

Players thanking some made up deity for allowing them to win the game over the players on the other team for reasons not entirely obvious to the viewer, but evidently the players on the losing team did deserve to be punished with a loss by said deity.

It always leaves me wondering what the losing team did to displease their maker.  But they never tell us.

That is a good one. WHY would any God want one team to win over the other or one player to out perform others.................with a few exceptions of course.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JethroB.

Quote from: Hawgphish on December 29, 2017, 07:48:45 am
Players who run 20 yards upfield and do a celebration dance when they make a tackle for no gain and they are down 3 toichdowns.

A DB celebrating an incomplete pass they had nothing to do with. Like they are accomplished something by being in the vicinity of the QB making a bad throw.

mevskithog

The phrase "pin their ears back".

hogsanity

Quote from: oldman1015 on December 29, 2017, 09:57:37 am
Running backs like Alex Collins who just hand the ball to the ref.

why is that a problem?

Changing the rule on stopping the clock when running out of bounds in order to shorten the games

I wish they'd start the clock on the ready for play after an incomplete pass.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

island hog

I HATE the way, on TV coverage of football or baseball games, whenever there is a pop fly or long / incompleted - contested pass play the TV crew turns up the microphones to make the crowd seem louder and more contentious.  It's as though the crowd gets ten times louder with every pass play or fly to center... it's just a way for the TV coverage to make the play or game seem more exciting, when in reality it makes me want to turn the sound off.  Absolutely hate it. 

pigture perfect

My mother in law. She talks continuously and louder than I can turn up the TV.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hogarusa

Mob mentality. Really annoys me to hear home crowd boooo at every call or
no call against them in games. Ultimately i get it and know that it will last until the end of time but still annoyed
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 29, 2017, 11:03:51 am

Three word you might want to try. Noice Reducing Headphones.

tbhogfan

1) Showboating
2) Running mouth after good play

And get off my yard!  :)
Go Hogs!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 28, 2017, 07:02:50 pm
If it weren't for her obvious attempt to sound like a man, Beth Mowins is pretty good compared to a lot of the part-timers calling games during bowl season. She's gotten better as an announcer.
Unfortunately for me it's just her voice. Is it unfair to judge her strictly based on that-perhaps. I will say that I think she's just as good, if not better, than some others who are calling games. However, listening to her comment and make the calls is like listening to a cat screaming after its tail has been stepped on or the scrapping of fingernails on a chalk board. Anytime she's on a broadcast I do the best thing I can which is turn the sound completely down and watch the game that way.

Hardcore Hoggy

transgenders playing women's sports

How long before Kentucky has a team full of 6'5" 240 lb "transgenders" dominating college women's basketball?

d3maybe

The refs blowing the whistle every 13.6 seconds on the floor. Its ruining the game.

The targeting rules. If its not a vicious decleater that could cause injury then keep the flag in your pocket for frick sake. And you should get two chances like unsportsman like penalties before being tossed.

The ME ME ME glory hounds and attention whores.

Snowflakes.... oh wait...was this sports only?

Science Fiction Greg

Football referees explaining things verbally instead of making a quick hand signal, placing the ball and starting the clock.  GTFO with your soliloquy.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hardcore Hoggy

Related to officials.

It absolutely pisses me off when you are watching a game and a play happens RIGHT in front of an official, and that official let's the play go on and then all of the sudden there is a flag/whistle from 50 yards away by an official who not even in position to SEE the play calling a foul.

Happened the other night at my daughter's basketball game , she wasn't even involved in that particular play, and I just came out of my seat. I'm so sick of that darn. Just watch your own area .

Leadbelly

So called "sports journalists" who really just have no clue! Just their Whiney ass opinions. Eric Bolin on the SEC Country App for example. Not a good writer/reporter, just a Whiney ass little kid who thinks his opinions really matter. Batesvilles own Cody McClure is another fine example of the "flood" of sports journalists who are just plain bad!
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

KlubhouseKonnected

AhhhhhhWooooo Pig Soooie

Extra pet peeves (pets peeved?) for

Yip-yip-AhhWhoooo Pig Sooooie

or any variation thereof. Seriously, I will draft a bill that makes it absolutely legal to punch the groin of any person who does the above if you guys can collect enough signature pledges to get it on the ballot.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hog in Iowa

I hate it when the Hog game is coming on, at say 3:00pm, and the preceding game has 2 minutes to go at 2:45, and with all the time outs, commercials, etc., the game has to start on another channel at 3:00 because 2 minutes of game time took more that 15 minutes to play.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 29, 2017, 11:03:51 am

Ha Ha.  LOL.
Retired Radio Host

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Shorttimer on December 29, 2017, 08:54:43 am

It's very similar to when an announcer says "head job", as in "Smith has been a coordinator for so long I think it's about time for him to get a head job somewhere."

Reminds me of this KU student paper headline when Mangino was hired:

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 29, 2017, 12:56:21 pm

Reminds me of this KU student paper headline when Mangino was hired:

😂😂😂😂😂

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 07:08:13 am
My biggest pet peeve is soccer.

Soccer is awesome.  Unfortunately, we're exposed to a lot of subpar soccer by virtue of living in the US.  But when it is played on the highest level, it is great to watch.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on December 29, 2017, 12:26:34 pm
Related to officials.

It absolutely pisses me off when you are watching a game and a play happens RIGHT in front of an official, and that official let's the play go on and then all of the sudden there is a flag/whistle from 50 yards away by an official who not even in position to SEE the play calling a foul.

Happened the other night at my daughter's basketball game , she wasn't even involved in that particular play, and I just came out of my seat. I'm so sick of that darn. Just watch your own area .

People whining about officials when they have never done the job themselves.

I kid I kid

d3maybe

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 29, 2017, 12:46:24 pm
AhhhhhhWooooo Pig Soooie

Extra pet peeves (pets peeved?) for

Yip-yip-AhhWhoooo Pig Sooooie

or any variation thereof. Seriously, I will draft a bill that makes it absolutely legal to punch the groin of any person who does the above if you guys can collect enough signature pledges to get it on the ballot.

I'll vote...

Hogarusa

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on December 29, 2017, 12:13:06 pm
transgenders playing women's sports

How long before Kentucky has a team full of 6'5" 240 lb "transgenders" dominating college women's basketball?

Are you expecting Coach Cal to be the women's head coach or do you expect Kentucky to lead the nation in transgender recruiting?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 28, 2017, 11:14:01 pm
One of the great lines of the year came after ESPN pulled Robert Lee from a broadcast because of his name.  Some genius observed how wonderful it would be if there had been a Confederate general named Stephen A. Smith.

No, it was Joe Buck

KlubhouseKonnected

tennesseehogwild

Replays! Way too many replays!

hogsanity

oldman1015

Quote from: JethroB. on December 29, 2017, 10:22:36 am
A DB celebrating an incomplete pass they had nothing to do with. Like they are accomplished something by being in the vicinity of the QB making a bad throw.
Amen

HoggyCat

"First down depending on the spot"

Well... duh.  It always depends on the spot.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on December 29, 2017, 12:26:34 pm
Related to officials.

As a HS football official, we call that 'fishing in someone else's pond'

oldman1015

Quote from: hogsanity on December 29, 2017, 10:34:55 am
why is that a problem?

I wish they'd start the clock on the ready for play after an incomplete pass.
Sarcasm. It's great seeing someone not throw the ball on the ground at the feet of the officials or doing that all you can eat crap after a 5 yard gain.

d3maybe

"A DB celebrating an incomplete pass they had nothing to do with. Like they are accomplished something by being in the vicinity of the QB making a bad throw."

...or flexing after dunking the ball when you are down 20....

DukeOfPork

Ha!  Totally agree. 

I know that a lot of people view that as some sort of a humble gesture, but it could not possibly be more arrogant.

"I'm thanking God because He made the difference in this game.  He subjected those other guys to a gut wrenching loss because He wanted to make sure that I won."

tennesseehogwild

One more: Watching a QB on a team out of timeouts, going through all his checks and cadences while in hurry up with time running. Basically wasting 10-15 seconds each time.

hogsanity

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on December 29, 2017, 01:14:50 pm

As a HS football official, we call that 'fishing in someone else's pond'

There is enough to watch in your own most of the time.

Science Fiction Greg

In the 80s, to get the score of the game, you had to wait for the announcer to say it or wait for a commercial break or between scores or see the scoreboard in the background, something like that.  Sometime in the mid 90s (?) we made a deal with these broadcasters, or so it seemed.  We will give you a tiny slice of our view of the game if you will keep the score up there the whole time.  We accepted.  Everyone was happy.

BUT

Sometime in the last 10 years or so, broadcasters have decided to just randomly remove the score display.  Almost every time there's a replay and then just randomly at other times for no real reason.  It is infuriating.  We had a deal!

I can't count the number of times I switch to a game, or walk back into the living room to glance at the game to get a score, and it RANDOMLY IS NOT THERE FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON.

Dangit we had a deal.  Keep the *)@(#$ score on the screen.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: d3maybe on December 29, 2017, 01:16:11 pm
"A DB celebrating an incomplete pass they had nothing to do with. Like they are accomplished something by being in the vicinity of the QB making a bad throw."

...or flexing after dunking the ball when you are down 20....

LOL this post made me think of Batman Carroll almost immediately. I hated that darn.