Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emmit Gooden

Started by bigpigpimpin, December 25, 2017, 06:19:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 04, 2018, 01:17:27 pm
I'm not Ricepig (!) and just guessing:

Gooden is allowed to sign because the staff knows they can't take a full class anyway. He is an "oversign" just in case he might make it. He has 1-2 classes to retake before he can be eligible in the SEC. If he completes that (ala Jeremy Patton) he'll be at UA next year. If not, he'll be released late summer to go to a non-P5 school.

Makes a lot of sense. SEC Country says Morris plans to keep 1 scholarship open for a grad transfer, or late signee. Of course, most of us want to know how he'll sign 16 and keep 1 spot open and fit the 85.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2018, 03:11:50 pm
Makes a lot of sense. SEC Country says Morris plans to keep 1 scholarship open for a grad transfer, or late signee. Of course, most of us want to know how he'll sign 16 and keep 1 spot open and fit the 85.

So is the latest that CM will make room to generate 17 scholies in 2018? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

navyhog24

I'd be fine with signing a full class and just getting rid of a lot of dead weight and non contributors.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 04, 2018, 03:18:50 pm
So is the latest that CM will make room to generate 17 scholies in 2018? 

I've heard 8 more in February, so that would put it at 16, I believe.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2018, 04:22:20 pm
I've heard 8 more in February, so that would put it at 16, I believe.

Thanks.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

King Kong

Dwayne Wallace who visited under Bielema's watch is a grad option atleast one current staffer is following.

Started one season at Cal

RaisinHog

Tweeted good talking too coach chavis with a hog head ..

HardingHog

colbs

I wonder if he has a committable offer from this staff now?

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on January 08, 2018, 07:30:17 pm
I wonder if he has a committable offer from this staff now?

Depends on the numbers, from what I hear.

Kevin

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2018, 07:32:01 pm
Depends on the numbers, from what I hear.

need to find more numbers
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HOGINTENNESSEE

AugustaHog

Yep a little more acceptable for a new staff to trim some fat. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 09, 2018, 12:11:13 am
Yep a little more acceptable for a new staff to trim some fat. 

I know that I, for one, would not want to over sign and have to pick and chose by start of Spring ball who to cull. I just don't believe it will help if you son't know what you have already on campus to recruit someone and have to try to discern who goes and who comes in. You cannot build relationships with HS coaches by chain yanking on your team...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Kevin

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 09, 2018, 04:31:18 am
I know that I, for one, would not want to over sign and have to pick and chose by start of Spring ball who to cull. I just don't believe it will help if you son't know what you have already on campus to recruit someone and have to try to discern who goes and who comes in. You cannot build relationships with HS coaches by chain yanking on your team...

You don't think saban would do that.

This is not recreational football. To succeed a coach has to be ruthless. 

Time to find some more slots
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

navyhog24

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 09, 2018, 04:31:18 am

If you can't find any dead weight from a 4-8 team, something is wrong.

ricepig

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 09, 2018, 08:55:12 am
Finding dead weight isn't the problem, having them transfer is.

jm

It will be easy after spring practice but he doesn't have that luxury. He has to make those decisions without actually seeing these guys play in person. In many ways it has to be more difficult than recruiting kids out of high school.

SooieGeneris

In a new article, it sounds like he really wants to come here! Written today or last night, so it's not old. He talks about his academic situation, says he is taking an online art course, all he needs for admittance to an SEC school..

As a AR D-G subscriber, it's free for me, but not sure if it's kosher to post since it may be considered a "pay site."
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

imtad16

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 09, 2018, 01:28:45 pm
In a new article, it sounds like he really wants to come here! Written today or last night, so it's not old. He talks about his academic situation, says he is taking an online art course, all he needs for admittance to an SEC school..

As a AR D-G subscriber, it's free for me, but not sure if it's kosher to post since it may be considered a "pay site."

I love this kids desire to play for the hogs. He has some good offers, but in the article he says point blank all the work he is doing right now is towards playing for Arkansas. These are the guys you love to get behind once they're on the field.

He was a little wishie washie at one time but seems like he has been pretty focused on being a hog since he committed to us in June. He is supposed to have a pretty good friendship with Sosa right?

hawgwash

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 09, 2018, 01:28:45 pm

Online art class HAS to be a lot easier than the calculus (or whatever it is) class that always seems to get in the way of a juco going to an SEC school.

imtad16

Quote from: hawgwash on January 09, 2018, 02:46:15 pm
Online art class HAS to be a lot easier than the calculus (or whatever it is) class that always seems to get in the way of a juco going to an SEC school.

Yeah for sure. College Algebra gives tons of college students fits.

AugustaHog

Quote from: jm on January 09, 2018, 01:04:46 pm
It will be easy after spring practice but he doesn't have that luxury. He has to make those decisions without actually seeing these guys play in person. In many ways it has to be more difficult than recruiting kids out of high school.
CCM will have some very honest input from the holdovers in Scott and Lunney.  He will have to lean on those guys and their experiences with these kids.  I don't like the idea of moving on from a kid, but it is the nature of the game.  There are players on the team that aren't helping this team to get better.  Whether that is due to lack of ability, work ethic, etc., there is room to improve on this roster.  If he can do so, it sucks, but it has to be done.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Kevin on January 09, 2018, 05:45:37 am

IDK if he would or not, but I don't remember him doing it at LSU or Bama. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater if you haven't seen the baby yet... What you're suggesting is that the new coach assume he's going to have 10 guys that he wants to cull before he even has a chance to see them. Not only that, but you're asking him to go into a room where he just told the guys "You're going to graduate. We'll see to that.", and start sending guys packing... I don't think any of you would do that without hesitation. If you would then you're dumber than I thought.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

kp72204

Quote from: imtad16 on January 09, 2018, 02:47:47 pm

Yeah for sure. College Algebra gives tons of college students fits.
It's giving me fits right now. I guess thats to be expected after 20 years off

Cambridge Hog

We found some: coach BB and his staff......glitch.fixed.

FraggleHog

With Mincey de-committing... is that a sign that Gooden will sign with the Hogs?
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Dwight_K_Shrute

If grades or course work are an issue I hear Dontae Jones has opened a tutoring business.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

WOOPIGDOOIE

I don't know. They don't play same position, maybe they didn't have enough scholarships to sign all the D linemen that were offered 

Hog33

If grades or course work are an issue I hear Dontae Jones has opened a tutoring business.         

OMG just spit up laughing. My sister called him the good Doctor

ricepig

Just got a Florida offer.

FraggleHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 04:12:38 pm
Just got a Florida offer.

Per RD, Gooden  was quoted saying he wants to be at Arkansas and play for Chavis. So as long as they can work out the scholarship situation, looks like he'll be a Hog.

SemperHawg

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 11, 2018, 04:27:57 pm
Per RD, Gooden  was quoted saying he wants to be at Arkansas and play for Chavis. So as long as they can work out the scholarship situation, looks like he'll be a Hog.
I sure would like for us to work out that scholarship situation sooner rather than later. 

FraggleHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 11, 2018, 04:38:59 pm
I sure would like for us to work out that scholarship situation sooner rather than later.

Me too. Gooden appears to be a game changer and really wants to be at Arkansas. That D-Line should be salty!

BenDial

Quote from: Kevin on January 09, 2018, 05:45:37 am

Yes, Saban would do it. But how he recruits is different than how Morris is recruiting- at least for the time being. Morris is relying on relationships with coaches to build pipelines and get in living rooms. If you start forcing these coaches' players to transfer down or sit out a year, then that strategy's and Morris's greatest strength, won't last long.

SooieGeneris

To those who say not even Saban would cull a kid, Darius Philon says: "Hey!" His offer at 'Bama was pulled right before he wanted to sign it.

He was sitting at the table with a 'Bama cap on, and not one from J-Mart like Bohannon's AR hat, then got a call.. "hey kid, how about paying your own way the first year?" or something to that effect.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hogindasticks

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 11, 2018, 07:06:21 pm
To those who say not even Saban would cull a kid, Darius Philon says: "Hey!" His offer at 'Bama was pulled right before he wanted to sign it.

He was sitting at the table with a 'Bama cap on, and not one from J-Mart like Bohannon's AR hat, then got a call.. "hey kid, how about paying your own way the first year?" or something to that effect.

I could see Bama trying to sabotage other recruiting to keep them from signing......In fact I think they may have some offers out there doing that now.

Kevin

Wanted him to come in January   Saban did it to a rb out of ga also

King Kong

Just my opinion, I don't want to think about how potentially bad our Dline might be without this kid

FraggleHog

Quote from: King Kong on January 11, 2018, 07:37:20 pm
Just my opinion, I don't want to think about how potentially bad our Dline might be without this kid

Asinine Post. Sosa, Capps, Guidry, TJ Smith, Michael Taylor, Armon Watts. Nick Fulwider. All SEC caliber D linemen.

King Kong

January 11, 2018, 08:23:38 pm #91 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:38:40 pm by King Kong
Quote from: FraggleHog on January 11, 2018, 08:02:20 pm
Asinine Post. Sosa, Capps, Guidry, TJ Smith, Michael Taylor, Armon Watts. Nick Fulwider. All SEC caliber D linemen.

My post is Asinine? And you are calling Armon Watts and his 7 career tackles zero for loss in 3 seasons after a RS year an SEC caliber player.

Michael Taylor didn't record a single statistic last year (2nd year in the program)Nick Fulwider hasn't played a down yet has a nice offer list. But not a lot of SEC schools (2 others Vandy and Miss St).  Sosa and Capps were good. Guidry was impressive in limits playing time. TJ Smith was okay at best.

To be good on the Dline you need atleast 6 guys that can play. I count 3

Another un-fun fact the players above listed as SEC Caliber above have combined 9 sacks in a combined 11 SEC seasons. Agim has 5 of those

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on January 11, 2018, 08:23:38 pm

Another un-fun fact the players above listed as SEC Caliber above have combined 9 sacks in a combined 11 SEC seasons. Agim has 5 of those

Thanks for ruining my day

azhog10

Then Caldwell swooped in and picked him up.....Man I'm glad to have Caldwell back.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: King Kong on January 11, 2018, 08:23:38 pm
My post is Asinine? And you are calling Armon Watts and his 7 career tackles zero for loss in 3 seasons after a RS year an SEC caliber player.

Michael Taylor didn't record a single statistic last year (2nd year in the program)Nick Fulwider hasn't played a down yet has a nice offer list. But not a lot of SEC schools (2 others Vandy and Miss St).  Sosa and Capps were good. Guidry was impressive in limits playing time. TJ Smith was okay at best.

To be good on the Dline you need atleast 6 guys that can play. I count 3

It's amazing so few fans understand what it means to be a truly dominant SEC lineman.  And how few of them there are.

jackflash

I don't  the Hogs can turn down a defensive lineman of that size so  hard for us to get

Oklahawg

Rarest skill in the recruiting game is "ready to go" DT, followed closely by "ready to go" cover corner (the latter being my opinion).

In the history of SEC football at UA, the scarcest positions when it comes to quality: DT, CB, LB. Maybe LB comes first, but I think they are easier to find.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

FraggleHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 12, 2018, 01:43:05 pm
It's amazing so few fans understand what it means to be a truly dominant SEC lineman.  And how few of them there are.

I didn't say anything about them being "truly dominant". King Kong said they would be a "truly bad" D Line unit if Gooden doesn't come and I said that was ridiculous. Just because some of the players that I listed haven't produced doesn't mean they aren't SEC caliber. Bad coaching also had a lot to do with the poor on field product due to the linemen. Also, the 3-4 experiment caused issues as well. I guarantee you that Caldwell will get the D Line unit right and you will see increased production.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: azhog10 on January 12, 2018, 01:31:36 pm
Then Caldwell swooped in and picked him up.....Man I'm glad to have Caldwell back.

Caldwell has an eye for talent and a good recruiter.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 12, 2018, 09:32:40 pm
Caldwell has an eye for talent and a good recruiter.

That's right. Trey Flowers had two other offers from FBS schools I think it was. Wise was his also, he wasn't that highly recruited either. Just to name two.