Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SUGAR BEARS DOWN CLEMSON IN BATTLE OF TOP DEFENSES

Started by Seminole Indian, December 20, 2017, 08:52:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

MIAMI, Fla. — In a battle of the nation's No. 2 and 4 scoring defenses, 4 was greater than 2 on Wednesday.

Central Arkansas limited Clemson to just 32 percent shooting and never trailed as the Sugar Bears defeated the Tigers 53-47 on the opening day of the FIU Holiday Classic.

The Sugar Bears (6-4) – who entered ranked 4th nationally in scoring defense at 51.2 points per game allowed – jumped on the Tigers (2nd at 49.7 per game) immediately with the game's first seven points and would lead for nearly 37 minutes as they scored their first-ever victory over an ACC opponent.

Clemson (9-3), which game in limiting opponents to just 31.4 percent shooting for the season, surrendered 20 first-quarter points to the Sugar Bears, who shot 64.3 percent in the period en route to 43.5 percent (20 of 46) for the game.

Despite scoring only four points in the second quarter and going the entire half without a free throw attempt, the Sugar Bears held a slim 24-22 advantage at the half; but kept the Tigers at bay by going 10 of 13 at the line in the 2nd half and committing just two turnovers over the final 20 minutes while forcing 5 – outscoring Clemson 8-0 off turnovers over the final two quarters.

Central Arkansas built its largest lead of the game in the fourth quarter, going up by 11 midway through the final period, but Clemson had one last surge – going on a 10-2 run to cut the Sugar Bear lead to three in the final minute. With 28 seconds to play, Kamry Orr knocked down a pair of free throws to push the lead back to five, then the Sugar Bears were able to force a Tiger turnover on the other end, with Orr hitting one of two free throws with 22 seconds left for the game's final point.

Clemson's Danielle Edwards misfired on a 3-point attempt with 17 seconds left, and Taylor Baudoin tracked down the rebound and the Sugar Bears ran out the clock to deal the Tigers just their third defeat of the season and end their winning streak at five.

Baudoin led the way for the Sugar Bears with 17 points on 8-of-9 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds for her first double-double of the season and 7th of her Central Arkansas career. Orr added 13 points and a season-high 8 rebounds while also recording 3 assists and a pair of steals. Angel Williams knocked down a pair of 3-pointers en route to 10 points, equaling her career high. Kierra Jordan added 6 points, 4 rebounds, a team-high 4 assists and a pair of steals. Taylor Sells was one off her career high with 6 rebounds while also scoring 4 points.

The win is the first for Central Arkansas in five tries against teams from the ACC, and the program's fourth over a Power 5 conference opponent since 2011, with wins over Alabama and Indiana in 2011 and Ole Miss in 2013.

The Sugar Bears will go for the Classic championship on Thursday at 11:00am central when they meet North Dakota State, which defeated FIU 71-68 in Wednesday's opener.

Following Thursday's championship game, the Sugar Bears will resume play on the 28th when they begin their chase for a repeat Southland Conference title at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi before returning to the Farris Center on the 31st against Southeastern Louisiana.

NOTES
• The Sugar Bears won for the third consecutive time in the state of Florida, having defeated Campbell and South Carolina State at North Florida in 2015
• Over the last three seasons, the Sugar Bears are 5-0 in pre-holiday tournaments, having also defeated Liberty and Houston last season at UTSA
• Baudoin has scored in double figures in 9 straight games (just missing with 9 in the season opener against Hendrix) and is averaging 14.8 points and 7.8 rebounds against Power 5 opponents this season (No. 3 Baylor, No. 12 Tennessee, No. 21 Texas A&M and Clemson)
• The win was the first away from the Farris Center this season for the Sugar Bears, who improve to 6-1 in regular season neutral-site games under head coach Sandra Rushing
• The 47 points allowed marked the 5th time this season the Sugar Bears have allowed fewer than 50 points
• The victory was the Sugar Bears' first of the season by fewer than 23 points
• The Sugar Bears improve to 6-0 on the season when leading at the half
• It was the 7th time in 10 games this season the Sugar Bears have outrebounded their opponent, getting 33 to Clemson's 30, putting them at +84 against non-Top 25 teams this season

QUOTES
Senior forward Taylor Baudoin

"(Since the loss at South Alabama on Saturday) Coach Rushing was really focusing on our effort and coming out and throwing the first punch and trying to keep (Clemson) down. I feel like that's what we did – they never got a chance to get on top, and our defense did that."

"Obviously, after South Alabama, Coach Rushing wanted to come in and really get our attention and that's exactly what she did. She's wanting to make practices harder than the games, so that in games like this we finish and step up to the challenge. I feel like we responded pretty well."

"There were a few tough calls late in the game, but having played for Coach Rushing for a couple of years, I was able to respond and not get down. I missed a blackout at the end, and there was a foul that I had, but Coach has made us mentally tough enough, and I had the experience to be able to bounce back and finish out the game and not focus on those mistakes."

"They had a little size on us, but we started out very aggressive. In the second quarter we were not as aggressive, but in the third and fourth quarters I felt like we really responded and attacked them."

"All week long we talked about how their No. 5 and 10 really get into you defensively, and Coach Long has done a really good job with our guards on having them protect the ball. I felt like it really showed, particularly in the 2nd half."

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2017/12/20/womens-basketball-sugar-bears-down-clemson-in-battle-of-top-defenses.aspx
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne