Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remind me again about Gus' QB development

Started by SquidBilly, December 02, 2017, 05:55:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

DeltaHog66

I mean we really can't say a whole lot about stidham, our qb's didn't exactly set the world on fire.

fullfan

SooieGeneris

Gus has had problems in that area in the Auburn years at times. However, He did take a guy like Chris Todd and a guy who transferred from UGA as a DB and won a lot of games with them at QB.

Todd would never be confused with Aaron Rodgers or the like. Marshall got them all the way to the NCG.

Stidham's line and backs are not doing him any favors in blitz pickup either. And Auburn's receivers are not all that.

With this game out of reach at 28-7 UGA, he may very well be headed this way though.

I hope we get a really good QB coach if so.

Still better than what we've had the last 6 years..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

azhog10

Issue with Gus is he's not gonna get the same recruits at Auburn. His recruits here will be lesser athletes than what he has now. If he can't do it there how can he here?

Pig in the Pokey

Norvell's offense is SO much better than this crappola! All those 5*s and he scores SEVEN POINTS!!

Norvell's team scores 7 points per minute damn near.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DocHogliday

I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play for Blood," remember?

SquidBilly

Please, please, please let it be true that he already signed his extension with Auburn.

azhog10

I am gonna be pissed if it's Morris. Norvell's offense is legit. Obviously we struggle fielding a defense as it is, so why start? Put up points and when we have a once in a decade defense we get our one shot at the Playoff.

jgcat4

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 02, 2017, 06:06:24 pm
Norvell's offense is SO much better than this crappola! All those 5*s and he scores SEVEN POINTS!!

This^^^^^^^^*^*^*
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Cambridge Hog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 02, 2017, 06:06:24 pm

Im guessing Memphis would score a little less vs Georgia.....

I'd be happy with either coach, btw

yraciv

Come on Stidham is the 20th ranked QB in ESPN QB ratings coming into the game.  Since the LSU game  he has shown great progression and put up big number including knocking off two number one teams. UGA came to play and Bama beat up some of Auburn's players last week.  Not  his best game, but I love how people are rushing to judgement after watching this game. Most of us have seen Gus coach for 10+ years, and people are really basing judgement on a SEC Championship game?

Chief Mac

The next QB Gus develops, will be the first
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

SooieGeneris

I think we will know something no later than tomorrow.

Even if Gus had been leaning toward staying there or had pretty much decided to do so, the nuclear reaction from this loss may push him to take our offer.

Those who say Norvell can't field a decent defense are overlooking the fact that until Steele came in, Gus' defenses weren't exactly the '85 Chicago Bears.

He had to go through 3-4 DCs to find the right one.

I would prefer Norvell due to Gus' baggage here and reports that Steele and most of his defensive staff is unlikely to come here.

If he could get Chavis or Shannon or somebody like that, that would be good, but he is unlikely to get the defensive talent that he has at Auburn here.

We will have to wait and see I guess.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Ironhawg

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 02, 2017, 06:08:15 pm
Please, please, please let it be true that he already signed his extension with Auburn.

Honestly the meltdown Auburn fans would suffer if they found out after this game he had signed a big fat extension would be epic and so much fun to watch.

clutch

Quote from: yraciv on December 02, 2017, 06:14:11 pm
Come on Stidham is the 20th ranked QB in ESPN QB ratings coming into the game.  Since the LSU game  he has shown great progression and put up big number including knocking off two number one teams. UGA came to play and Bama beat up some of Auburn's players last week.  Not  his best game, but I love how people are rushing to judgement after watching this game. Most of us have seen Gus coach for 10+ years, and people are really basing judgement on a SEC Championship game?

I don't base my judgement of his QB development off of this game. I don't give him credit, or blame, for Stidham. He looks basically exactly like he did at Baylor. I base my judgement of Gus's QB development off of the fact that he's never had a successful QB that he brought in as a Freshman. All his successes have been transfers.

I know Marshall wasn't a QB at Georgia, but he also didn't play like a QB at Auburn. He was just an elite athlete that had the ball in his hands every play. Opened stuff up for him. He never did much in the passing game that came from passing ability. Everything he did in the passing game was opened up because they thought he was going to take off running on them.

elksnort

Quote from: Bret Squealema on December 02, 2017, 05:55:42 pm
Stidham looks like hot garbage.
yeah let's base it off of one game. His two best running backs are hurt. What a [CENSORED] dumbass post

Piggfoot

The Auburn team is a running team hey don't depend on Stidham. Johnson is hurt
They beat Alabama. But caught the Baama flu like most  teams
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Wooderson

Quote from: azhog10 on December 02, 2017, 06:05:58 pm
Issue with Gus is he's not gonna get the same recruits at Auburn. His recruits here will be lesser athletes than what he has now. If he can't do it there how can he here?

Listen here bub.  If I have to spell this out to the ignorant one more time I'm going to lose it.  Auburn has ALWAYS had better recruits than us by the rankings, yet ARKANSAS before Gus was at Auburn was 10-10-1 against them.  Do you not understand that with the right coach our top 25 class can beat their top 15 class.  That's a damn fact.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: elksnort on December 02, 2017, 06:28:49 pm
yeah let's base it off of one game. His two best running backs are hurt. What a [CENSORED] dumbass post
Yep, and the guy has played great all year long. Beat #1 Bama, beat #1 UGA, and lose a game and not play well and people want to nail him to the cross. So stupid.

azhog10

Quote from: Wooderson on December 02, 2017, 06:31:22 pm
Listen here bub.  If I have to spell this out to the ignorant one more time I'm going to lose it.  Auburn has ALWAYS had better recruits than us by the rankings, yet ARKANSAS before Gus was at Auburn was 10-10-1 against them.  Do you not understand that with the right coach our top 25 class can beat their top 15 class.  That's a damn fact.
If only beating Auburn was all that mattered. If I have to spell that out to your ignorant self.

Chief Mac

Quote from: elksnort on December 02, 2017, 06:28:49 pm

Actually, there is more than one game available to provide basis for the OP, even if that wasn't the intent

2013: Nick Marshall
2014: Jeremy Johnson
2015: Sean White
2016:  Sean White
2017: Jarrett Stidham

2013 and 2017 were Auburn's most successful years under Gus which coincided with having a transfer as his starter. 2014-2016, both players were recruited out of high school and "developed" under Gus.  Those years their offense struggled due to poor QB play
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Wooderson

Quote from: azhog10 on December 02, 2017, 06:33:55 pm
If only beating Auburn was all that mattered. If I have to spell that out to your ignorant self.

If we beat Auburn we are probably an 8-10 win team.  What are you expecting at Arkansas?  Alabama performance?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

elksnort

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 02, 2017, 06:43:45 pm
Actually, there is more than one game available to provide basis for the OP, even if that wasn't the intent

2013: Nick Marshall
2014: Jeremy Johnson
2015: Sean White
2016:  Sean White
2017: Jarrett Stidham

2013 and 2017 were Auburn's most successful years under Gus which coincided with having a transfer as his starter. 2014-2016, both players were recruited out of high school and "developed" under Gus.  Those years their offense struggled due to poor QB play

their two top running backs or either hurt or not playing that's what it's based on the can't run the ball then they shut him down

Chief Mac

Quote from: elksnort on December 02, 2017, 06:45:48 pm
their two top running backs or either hurt or not playing that's what it's based on the can't run the ball then they shut him down

Did you read a thing you quoted on my post? I'm not knocking Stidham's play in this game or the season

HogNTX

Quote from: azhog10 on December 02, 2017, 06:05:58 pm

Then why even have a football team... we can never get good enough players.

jesterzzn

elksnort

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 02, 2017, 06:47:54 pm
Did you read a thing you quoted on my post? I'm not knocking Stidham's play in this game or the season
I've heard the concept or idea that Gus can't develop a quarterback it's not new. I was addressing the original post. The dude just trying to stir up a bunch of darn. Auburn lost because they're two running backs were lame. That's all I'm addressing.

Chief Mac

Quote from: elksnort on December 02, 2017, 07:02:06 pm
I've heard the concept or idea that Gus can't develop a quarterback it's not new. I was addressing the original post. The dude just trying to stir up a bunch of darn. Auburn lost because they're two running backs were lame. That's all I'm addressing.

Maybe so, but Gus has yet to develop a QB.  His success has been predicated on QBs that others developed.  QB developing is kinda something an offensive guru should be able to do

Donny2665

Quote from: yraciv on December 02, 2017, 06:14:11 pm

The haters are ways gonna hate! They are going to be mad once Gus is named HC! They can't rationalize anything beyond their own agenda!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Chief Mac

Quote from: Donny2665 on December 02, 2017, 07:22:31 pm
The haters are ways gonna hate! They are going to be mad once Gus is named HC! They can't rationalize anything beyond their own agenda!

sycophants can't rationalize beyond their undying adoration and can't comprehend facts

Pudgepork

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 02, 2017, 07:05:01 pm
Maybe so, but Gus has yet to develop a QB.  His success has been predicated on QBs that others developed.  QB developing is kinda something an offensive guru should be able to do

You know really, the same could be said about Sumlin. 

Chief Mac

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 02, 2017, 07:29:24 pm
You know really, the same could be said about Sumlin. 

Maybe, but we're not talking about Sumlin nor is he a candidate to coach the Hogs

Hawg Life

Quote from: DeltaHog66 on December 02, 2017, 06:02:06 pm
I mean we really can't say a whole lot about stidham, our qb's didn't exactly set the world on fire.

This is not about us, it's about him.

elksnort

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 02, 2017, 07:05:01 pm
well Chris, if you can't develop one you go get one. Frankly I don't give a damn he's not our coach.

Chief Mac

Quote from: elksnort on December 02, 2017, 07:32:10 pm
well Chris, if you can't develop one you go get one. Frankly I don't give a damn he's not our coach.

And hopefully won't be

Roadrunner

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.