Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fulmer new Tennessee AD

Started by BorderPatrol, December 01, 2017, 01:53:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BorderPatrol

Razorbackers

That is one amazing long con by Fulmer. Wow.

Dropkick

HF#1

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 01, 2017, 01:55:52 pm
That is one amazing long con by Fulmer. Wow.

House of Cards type stuff without the murder.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

AirWarren

100%Razorback

NoogaHog

Yep, sabotaged Currie's coaching search to get the job. "House of Cards" style.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

PorkSoda

Quote from: BorderPatrol on December 01, 2017, 01:53:12 pm
Per Finebaum.

bp
that's like us hiring nutt as AD.  okay maybe not that bad.

that's too funny.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bigdogbitting

per espn and Finebaum, not interum, real AD.

98hogs

Razorbackers

Quote from: HF#1 on December 01, 2017, 01:56:21 pm

*Fulmer turns to camera*

*very Frank Underwood voice*

Whatever will become of the new opening at Tennessee for athletic director? A skeptical man would look at the events in this coaching search and think that maybe, juuuuuust maybe there's been some collusion between other universities and an interested third party to ensure that the now departed John Currie was unable to have success in his search. I'll admit, his aggressive final hail mary to hire that Penzancian clown in Pullman threw me off guard. Ergo I was forced to play a more aggressive hand earlier than I had planned. Showing your cards too early is not a wise move in poker, unless of course you know you can win the hand. My play got Currie out, and while some folks round these parts might figure out how many cards I actually had up my sleeve eventually, it will be too late. I'm expecting a phone call about the open position at Tennessee any minute now.

*phone rings*

Now who could that be?

thebignasty

"CHAOS IS A LADDER FELLAS. PASS THE GRAVY."

-Phil Fulmer, probably

Boarcephus

Quote from: NoogaHog on December 01, 2017, 01:58:05 pm

Saw that.  Didn't he sabotage Johnny Majors or someone to get the HC job several years ago???
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Razorbackers

Quote from: thebignasty on December 01, 2017, 02:02:40 pm
"CHAOS IS A LADDER FELLAS. PASS THE GRAVY."

-Phil Fulmer, probably

kayosh ish a laddah, shasna

razorcash2

phadedhawg

Tennessee has been paying for the sin of firing Fat Phil for a long time.  I guess they hope this will lift the curse.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 01, 2017, 02:07:17 pm
Saw that.  Didn't he sabotage Johnny Majors or someone to get the HC job several years ago???

Seems he did.

From wiki:
At Tennessee, Majors achieved success in the 1980s and early 1990s winning three SEC championships (in 1985, 1989, and 1990), but falling short of a national title. In 1989, the Majors-led Vols followed a 5–6 season with an 11–1 season, the largest turnaround in college football that year.

The University forced Majors to resign as Tennessee's football coach during the closing weeks of the 1992 football season. The Vols racked up a 3–0 record under interim coach Phillip Fulmer, a longtime Majors assistant, who steered the team while Majors was recovering from heart surgery. After the Vols went 2–3 following Majors' return, he suddenly was asked to resign during the week leading up to Tennessee's game at Memphis State. A Knoxville News Sentinel story reported that while Majors was recuperating from heart surgery, Fulmer allegedly exchanged 26 telephone calls with Tennessee Athletics Board member Bill Johnson, who had played with Majors in the mid-1950s at Tennessee. A strong contingent within the Tennessee fan base believes that it was behind-the-scenes maneuvering on the part of Fulmer, Johnson, athletics director Doug Dickey, and university president Joe Johnson that pushed Majors out. Other fans believe that Majors created his own problems in the summer of 1992 by, among other things, complaining about his current contract during a preseason publicity tour across the state. Many speculate it was likely a combination of all circumstances.[2]
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hawgon

How do you know for sure?

Boarcephus

Quote from: HenduHog on December 01, 2017, 02:12:24 pm
Seems he did.

From wiki:
At Tennessee, Majors achieved success in the 1980s and early 1990s winning three SEC championships (in 1985, 1989, and 1990), but falling short of a national title. In 1989, the Majors-led Vols followed a 5–6 season with an 11–1 season, the largest turnaround in college football that year.

The University forced Majors to resign as Tennessee's football coach during the closing weeks of the 1992 football season. The Vols racked up a 3–0 record under interim coach Phillip Fulmer, a longtime Majors assistant, who steered the team while Majors was recovering from heart surgery. After the Vols went 2–3 following Majors' return, he suddenly was asked to resign during the week leading up to Tennessee's game at Memphis State. A Knoxville News Sentinel story reported that while Majors was recuperating from heart surgery, Fulmer allegedly exchanged 26 telephone calls with Tennessee Athletics Board member Bill Johnson, who had played with Majors in the mid-1950s at Tennessee. A strong contingent within the Tennessee fan base believes that it was behind-the-scenes maneuvering on the part of Fulmer, Johnson, athletics director Doug Dickey, and university president Joe Johnson that pushed Majors out. Other fans believe that Majors created his own problems in the summer of 1992 by, among other things, complaining about his current contract during a preseason publicity tour across the state. Many speculate it was likely a combination of all circumstances.[2]

Thanks!  That's what I remembered.  Majors was in the hospital and Fulmer was screwing him.  Nice guy.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: bigdogbitting on December 01, 2017, 01:59:31 pm
per espn and Finebaum, not interum, real AD.

But per Knoxville TV, interim.  To paraphrase someone near and dear to HV, news comes at you so fast it messes you up.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Former UT head coach Phillip Fulmer will be named the University of Tennessee interim athletic director, a source close to the athletics department told WATE.

zuko

Sounds like Tennessee likes backstabbers and he probably is the one that spread the "fake news" about Schiano.

Bogghawg

The day is young....
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

NoogaHog

Fulmer's playing Chess, boys. Currie was playing Checkers
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

redneckfriend

What the hell else were they going to do- they needed to get all the camels under the tent so they can get through this coaching search.

John Futrall

EastexHawg

Quote from: NoogaHog on December 01, 2017, 01:58:05 pm

Not surprising considering he stabbed Johnny Majors in the back to get the head coaching job.

longpig

There's the Broyle's Award and there's the Fulmer Cup.  Tenner's going for landfill fire status.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hog Spread

Quote from: 98hogs on December 01, 2017, 02:01:34 pm
That's a good hire for Tenner

Agreed.  I am afraid the curse will be lifted...

ur

hawgdavis

Quote from: 98hogs on December 01, 2017, 02:01:34 pm
That's a good hire for Tenner

I think so as. He should stabilize that program pretty quick.

Calling All Hogs

Time to dust off the Fat Phil jokes!

Billy Bats

Good hire.  We should hire our National Champ ex-coach as well. 

BassinHawg

Peyton Manning, Come On Down! You are the next Head Coach at Tennessee.

Stranger Things......Have Happened.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Trey1981

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 01, 2017, 02:02:21 pm
*Fulmer turns to camera*

*very Frank Underwood voice*

Whatever will become of the new opening at Tennessee for athletic director? A skeptical man would look at the events in this coaching search and think that maybe, juuuuuust maybe there's been some collusion between other universities and an interested third party to ensure that the now departed John Currie was unable to have success in his search. I'll admit, his aggressive final hail mary to hire that Penzancian clown in Pullman threw me off guard. Ergo I was forced to play a more aggressive hand earlier than I had planned. Showing your cards too early is not a wise move in poker, unless of course you know you can win the hand. My play got Currie out, and while some folks round these parts might figure out how many cards I actually had up my sleeve eventually, it will be too late. I'm expecting a phone call about the open position at Tennessee any minute now.

*phone rings*

Now who could that be?

Well done sir.  Very, very good.

navyhog24

ur

Tenn went 9-4 in 2016 and 2017. Their search is a dumpster fire and Jones was an idiot but they can turn it around quickly. Tee Martin will be the next HC

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 01, 2017, 03:07:44 pm
Not surprising considering he stabbed Johnny Majors in the back to get the head coaching job.

They're discussing that very fact on Finebaum now. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 01, 2017, 02:07:17 pm
yeah, if several equals 25

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 01, 2017, 04:53:45 pm
yeah, if several equals 25

PP

I'd say 25 could equate to several.  He did it to Majors and now Currie.  Definitely not someone you could toss your keys to and tell him to watch your house when you go on vacation. 

Pulled(PP)pork

:(
Quote from: Boarcephus on December 01, 2017, 05:03:03 pm
I'd say 25 could equate to several.  He did it to Majors and now Currie.  Definitely not someone you could toss your keys to and tell him to watch your house when you go on vacation.
or to feed your dog

PP

Vantage 8 dude

The palace intrigue over at Tennessee makes the Bolshevik's brutal disposal of Czar Nicholas and his family back during the Russian Revolution look like a Sunday social. Many heads have rolled over this fiasco.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 01, 2017, 05:17:43 pm
The palace intrigue over at Tennessee makes the Bolshevik's brutal disposal of Czar Nicholas and his family back during the Russian Revolution look like a Sunday social. Many heads have rolled over this fiasco.

Interesting you should say that because just now on Finebaum they're calling it the "Volshevik Revolution" in Knoxville.