Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody ever flown a Gyrocopter?

Started by Mike_e, November 28, 2017, 04:02:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_e

OK, I know they aren't 'real' planes but look like they'd be a blast.

No, I'm not thinking of building one in my garage and seeing if I can get airborne before I run out of street but what I've seen about stability in wind and no-power safety make them see attractive in a go cart/dirtbike kind of a way.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

theFlyingHog

Hm, I always thought "gyrocopter" was one of the ancestors of the helicopter and was more mythical than real

Mike_e

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 28, 2017, 06:56:34 pm
Hm, I always thought "gyrocopter" was one of the ancestors of the helicopter and was more mythical than real

:)

Sooiepride

I've thought about the same thing.  Being able to take off from my pasture is very appealing.

I bet you could put one down in a very small area if you had issues.  Also, it looks to me like they are flying in autorotate mode the entire time, seems like an emergency landing wouldn't be all that difficult.  Could be wrong though, definitely not an expert.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

theFlyingHog

That looks pretty sweet. I don't see myself having the balls to get one but it would be fun

Sooiepride

God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

Mike_e

That would be a homemade one.  Sounds like catastrophic failure of the rotor assembly otherwise it wouldn't have hit hard enough to rupture the fuel tank.

That or pilot error and they managed to fly it into the ground.

Warbirdhog

No, but ever I did it would be one of these. Ron was one of my instructors in A&P school years ago. One of these holds several gyrocopter records. Check out the altitude record by Andy Keech in the articles link.

http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/index.html