Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Houston Breakdown

Started by BRHogfan, November 28, 2017, 01:16:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BRHogfan

Last Season's game against Houston came right in the middle of an 8-game winning streak that followed a road loss to Minnesota.  Arkansas was favored by 5.5 points in Fayetteville, and covered the spread winning 84-72.

Houston's starters outscored the Razorback starters 58-50, but the bench play went the other way as Dusty Hannahs moved to the bench to allow Barford to start and outscored the other bench 17-14 on his own.  Devin Davis averaged a little over 8 ppg, last season, but only played 3 minutes due to an injury.  He's back this year averaging 11.2 ppg in his senior campaign.  He's 3rd on the team behind fellow seniors Wes Vanbeck and Rob Gray.  Vanbeck was the loan bright spot off the bench last year in Fayetteville with 10 points, and Gray led all scorers with 22. 

Arkansas won the game in nearly every statistic but one.  Houston only turned the ball over 9 times to 13 for the Hogs.  9 would be a season low if they repeated the same TO rate this weekend, and their 12 per game this season is also lower than any opponent has had against the Hogs this season.

McNeese (3-3) W 81-53 (best player Rob Gray did not play due to a 1-game suspension for playing in a church league rec game)
Drexel (2-4) L 84-80
Liberty (5-2) W 68-66
Wake Forest (2-4) 1 loss to Liberty W 78-73
Incarnate Word (3-2) W 97-58

All 5 of those teams have Houston as their best opponents.  In the Drexel Loss, Rob Gray was 13-21 and 5-8, but the rest of the team was 18-51 and 2-18.  I expect that you will see a steady does of Jaylen Barford covering Gray all night.

While Houston is at home for this game, they are actually playing their home games at Texas Southern while work is underway on their home court, Hofheinz Pavilion.  The "Health and Physical Education Arena" will host the game this Saturday. 

gmarv

johnfanman

Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

BrooklynRoss

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

ATLHog

Quote from: BRHogfan on November 28, 2017, 01:16:04 pm
Last Season's game against Houston came right in the middle of an 8-game winning streak that followed a road loss to Minnesota.  Arkansas was favored by 5.5 points in Fayetteville, and covered the spread winning 84-72.

Houston's starters outscored the Razorback starters 58-50, but the bench play went the other way as Dusty Hannahs moved to the bench to allow Barford to start and outscored the other bench 17-14 on his own.  Devin Davis averaged a little over 8 ppg, last season, but only played 3 minutes due to an injury.  He's back this year averaging 11.2 ppg in his senior campaign.  He's 3rd on the team behind fellow seniors Wes Vanbeck and Rob Gray.  Vanbeck was the loan bright spot off the bench last year in Fayetteville with 10 points, and Gray led all scorers with 22. 

Arkansas won the game in nearly every statistic but one.  Houston only turned the ball over 9 times to 13 for the Hogs.  9 would be a season low if they repeated the same TO rate this weekend, and their 12 per game this season is also lower than any opponent has had against the Hogs this season.

McNeese (3-3) W 81-53 (best player Rob Gray did not play due to a 1-game suspension for playing in a church league rec game)
Drexel (2-4) L 84-80
Liberty (5-2) W 68-66
Wake Forest (2-4) 1 loss to Liberty W 78-73
Incarnate Word (3-2) W 97-58

All 5 of those teams have Houston as their best opponents.  In the Drexel Loss, Rob Gray was 13-21 and 5-8, but the rest of the team was 18-51 and 2-18.  I expect that you will see a steady does of Jaylen Barford covering Gray all night.

While Houston is at home for this game, they are actually playing their home games at Texas Southern while work is underway on their home court, Hofheinz Pavilion.  The "Health and Physical Education Arena" will host the game this Saturday. 

+1
(welcome back Karma)

Rawker

If one employs the practice of comparing Ws and Ls, which is virtually useless in CBB, then Houston is not stacking up well.  However, this is a road game, so anything can happen, but the Hogs are a WAY better team with much better tests behind them so far. 

BRHogfan

Quote from: Rawker on November 29, 2017, 01:10:59 pm
If one employs the practice of comparing Ws and Ls, which is virtually useless in CBB, then Houston is not stacking up well.  However, this is a road game, so anything can happen, but the Hogs are a WAY better team with much better tests behind them so far. 

The over win-loss record for Mike Anderson away from Bud Walton is 35-60 for 37%.  It started 8 for 33 and 20%, but he has gone 27-27 in the mean time even including a woeful 3-12 road record during the 16-16 for 2016 season. 

If you take true road games, his percentages get worse in every season but the first one.  Still, I understand your trepidation in believing in these Hogs in true road games, but I think Mike's road woes were largely due to talent gap, which has certainly decreased in the intervening 4 years. 

hawgfan4life

Unless Arkansas shoots woeful and Houston shoots out of their minds, AR is a horrible matchup for the Cougars.  We have length to give Houston problems and athletic guards to counter their guard heavy team.  Arkansas has a heavy advantage with depth.  Play a solid game and we should win.  Houston has to be lights out scoring to beat us.  It happens in basketball sometimes.  Should be an exciting game.

WorfHog

Gafford is going to go off this game Mark it DOWN!

forrest city joe

What time is the game today? and is it on TV? thanks in advance.

GoPigs69

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 02, 2017, 01:45:09 pm
What time is the game today? and is it on TV? thanks in advance.

Google is your friend.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: GoPigs69 on December 02, 2017, 02:38:06 pm
Google is your friend.

So you don't know right?  If you do not know don't answer. 😡

mhuff

Joe, the game starts at 6:30. I am going to watch it at Buffalo Wild Wings. You can look at the threads and find several ways to get it on TV. As one of the threads says ," CBSis not the regular CBS station.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Lord Voldepork on December 02, 2017, 03:30:41 pm
Game is on CBS-S.  I get it on U-verse (Channel 1643) and its on DIRECTV (221)  but not all carriers have that channel so you'll have to check your provider.  No idea about streaming, but it might be on the CBS app.
Thank you.

forrest city joe

GoPigs69

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 02, 2017, 02:59:19 pm
So you don't know right?  If you do not know don't answer. 😡

Of course I know - plus I have apps, google or several other places I could have looked all in the time of posting the question on a message board. It's called efficiency. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 29, 2017, 04:30:43 pm
Unless Arkansas shoots woeful and Houston shoots out of their minds, AR is a horrible matchup for the Cougars.  We have length to give Houston problems and athletic guards to counter their guard heavy team.  Arkansas has a heavy advantage with depth.  Play a solid game and we should win.  Houston has to be lights out scoring to beat us.  It happens in basketball sometimes.  Should be an exciting game.

You called that play brother!