Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Awakening

Started by zuko, November 25, 2017, 10:07:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zuko

Always happens. Get all hyped up clobbering the teams that hope they can compete in B Ball and  then when they play a quality team, it hits em like a ton. Notice how quiet the team is and now keeping a low profile. I believe that Mike Anderson is what in his seventh year where most coaches would have seen the door by now must know that he can't keep talking a good record and has  to play the games. It doesn't do a  team any good to play "setups" to embellish the record but it does put money in the other schools pocket. All it does for the Razorbacks is make  them think they are better than what they really are. If you want to play with the big dogs, you can't pee like a puppy.

BannerMountainMan

What are you talking about? You make no sense. Who said this team is elite? Nobody. This team is good and can get a whole lot better
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

razorbackchamps94

Gafford needs to stay on floor a lot more and will be fine . UNc is better this year then they was last year.

MikePiazza

It sucked losing to UNC, but if they bounce back and win tomorrow, it honestly doesn't matter. UNC is about the best quality loss you can have on your tourney resume.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Potosihog

Quote from: zuko on November 25, 2017, 10:07:48 pm
Always happens. Get all hyped up clobbering the teams that hope they can compete in B Ball and  then when they play a quality team, it hits em like a ton. Notice how quiet the team is and now keeping a low profile. I believe that Mike Anderson is what in his seventh year where most coaches would have seen the door by now must know that he can't keep talking a good record and has  to play the games. It doesn't do a  team any good to play "setups" to embellish the record but it does put money in the other schools pocket. All it does for the Razorbacks is make  them think they are better than what they really are. If you want to play with the big dogs, you can't pee like a puppy.

Beat Oklahoma on a neutral floor.  Lost  to defending national champion and perrinial power house North Carolina.

Yep, this team is a fraud. Fire Mike SMH

Just go away

oldbooniehog

Who said Arkansas was elite?

Here''s a thread proclaiming Hogs in Top 6 teams in the country.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=648590.0

HogFoo

what in the hell are you talking about?  Seriously, wth are you talking about?  The Hogs have played the toughest schedule they've ever played and beat everyone but UNC! So again, wth are you talking about?  This was an early game to gauge where we are compared to the elite teams.  We will not see another team with the type talent UNC has except for UK.  It would not surprise me if they blew threw the SEC destroying everyone.  And the SEC is really good this year!  It still wouldnt surprise me if we went 14-2 or so.  Yeah, this team looked a little timid facing UNC.  They came out pretty good, and shots didnt fall, macan i think was trying too hard because he wanted to win this game so bad and it altered his shot. If he could have just relaxed, his shot would have started calling.  Then Macon got hurt.  Definitely could have used him when we had it down to 6pts.  Gafford looked like it took him a minute to adjust but he did. it took CJ a minute to catch fire, but he finally got a few shots.  Anyways. Yeah, we need to work on not getting nervous when we face a team with talent like UNC, but good thing that may be only 5 teams in America that has that kind of talent.

Still, it is pretty idiotic to make a comment like this. Geez.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

hawgball40

another low iq individual has spilled over from mmqb. mike anderson is a winner, we who watch basketball are pretty excited with where he is taking our bball program. it may take a while and he's certainly not perfect, but in light of the recent scandals, we are all especially appreciative of him building it the right way. This is his best team to date at Arkansas, and they haven't even scratched the surface of their potential. Keep calm and call those hogs brother :razorback:

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 25, 2017, 10:38:43 pm
Who said Arkansas was elite?

Here''s a thread proclaiming Hogs in Top 6 teams in the country.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=648590.0

Ha ha...most everyone in that thread were pretty level headed. The OP made some big statements but it doesn't really reflect the majority.

Try again.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hobhog

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 25, 2017, 10:43:02 pm
another low iq individual has spilled over from mmqb. mike anderson is a winner, we who watch basketball are pretty excited with where he is taking our bball program. it may take a while and he's certainly not perfect, but in light of the recent scandals, we are all especially appreciative of him building it the right way. This is his best team to date at Arkansas, and they haven't even scratched the surface of their potential. Keep calm and call those hogs brother :razorback:

Year 7. Don't get so defensive. Mike dances every year from here on out or he gets fired. That's fair. With this team year 8 should be no brainier.

oldbooniehog

I do not agree totally with the OP.

Question was asked who ever said Hogs were elite?

There is a thread on this board proclaiming there are not 5 teams better than the Hogs.

If you say Hogs are Top 6 or Top 5 in the nation, that is claiming elite status

What I DO agree with is idea lots of Hog fans need to tap the brakes a bit.

Anyone else remember all the "Hogs Are BACK!" excitement when the John Pelphrey Hogs beat 2 Top 10 teams in a week?

How long did that last again?

Hogs have beaten exactly zero ranked teams so far this year. Won zero conference games. Got hammered by 19 by North Carolina.

I hope they are good this season. Waaay too early to tell.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hobhog on November 25, 2017, 10:48:12 pm
Year 7. Don't get so defensive. Mike dances every year from here on out or he gets fired. That's fair. With this team year 8 should be no brainier.
Why did you just start posting all of a sudden?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

popcornhog

OU and Bucknell are both quality teams that we handled well enough.

Hopefully UNC was a good learning experience, but I expect this team to be a top 20 or so quality team by year's end. We aren't elite, but we're good and have not hit our ceiling.
WPS

hawgball40

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 25, 2017, 10:53:03 pm

There is a thread on this board proclaiming there are not 5 teams better than the Hogs.

Anyone else remember all the "Hogs Are BACK!" excitement when the John Pelphrey Hogs beat 2 Top 10 teams in a week?

Hogs have beaten exactly zero ranked teams so far this year. Won zero conference games. Got hammered by 19 by North Carolina.

Except the day before we lost to north carolina we scored 93 points on Lon Kruger and a fringe top 25 Oklahoma(who had more votes than us in the polls). Our lack of depth and fatigue really put our UNC loss into perspective. And to their credit, they are obviously one of the better teams in the country as well. IMO, hogs have nothing to be ashamed of and anyone calling for Anderson's job at this point is pretty dumb.

hawgball40

Quote from: hobhog on November 25, 2017, 10:48:12 pm
the only one being defensive here is you, in defense of the OP's moronic point of view.

Southpointhog

Is this guy serious!!??!?

HognitiveDissonance

I think the concensus is that this Arkansas team is a good, solid team.
I personally think as long as Macon and Barford stay healthy, they can be competitive with anybody.
No one said they are a national title contending elite team.

Which is a good thing, because the UNC loss shows what a gap exists between the Hogs and an elite team. We're not there.

razorback1829

"Shut the h*ll up" *in my Stephan A Smith voice*

hawgdavis

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on November 25, 2017, 10:26:59 pm
Gafford needs to stay on floor a lot more and will be fine . UNc is better this year then they was last year.

We were also playing on dead legs. We had a much more demanding game than they did. I think by tournament time we will be able to go toe to toe with them.

niels_boar

So, there are only 10 "quality" teams in the nation. We've played 5 games.  One opponent is no worse than top-150 if they ever get healthy (and we played them healthy), two others are solid top-100 teams that we dismantled, one is a solid top-40 team (top-30 at present) that we didn't trail for the last 35 minutes, and one is top 10.  We're 4-1.  Anyone who is disappointed at this point is out of their mind.  After starting the season down three rotation players and having about half the rotation being new to their roles, I was very worried about where we might stand right now with this schedule, especially after the exhibitions.  I would gladly have taken the big disappointment being not upsetting UNC.

Fans may recall that in our first test against an NCAAT team last year Minnesota dismantled us.  We ended up winning 26 and getting an 8-seed.  OU is at least as good this year as Minnesota was last year.  We passed that test with flying colors and then in less than 24 hours had a two-possession game with four minutes left against the defending NCs.  Gafford had been averaging 22 minutes.  He played 15 minutes against UNC.  Macon and Barford had been averaging 32 minutes.  Macon played 23 minutes against UNC, Barford 27.  You rarely pull off upsets when your three top scorers play 21 minutes less than usual.

I knew that as soon as we became one of 351 teams that will not go undefeated all sorts of fatal flaws would be exposed by some fans.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Fan701

How do you explain, then, how we beat a final four team, South Carolina on their home court just last February?  Is a final four team not a "quality team" just because we have beaten them?  We had a bad game Friday against UNC.  We looked tired, got into early foul trouble, lost our best player to injury, and still we were down by only 6 late in the second half.  We were a 4 point underdog going into the game, and that is probably a fair number, assuming we could play them well-rested.  I don't think anyone expected us to go undefeated, given our schedule, and only a fool would think that we'd never have a bad game, or a far sub-par outing.  We will, doubtless, lose some more games this year and have some bad days, but, in the end, we will have won many more than we lost.  Coach Anderson has put together a very good team and that will show by year end.  BTW, why would anyone in his right mind be even considering showing Mike Anderson the door?  2014-15, 2016-17, and the current team are without doubt the best teams we've had since the 1990's.  When MA took over we were almost unwatchably bad.  Now, we're quite good and likely to get even better.  MA has brought our program back from oblivion.  PS, I wouldn't have bothered to post this had I first noticed who the OP was, a known troll.

lynbug

I remember that year all too well.  And after that year my mantra became "AIN'T NOTHIN MEANS NOTHIN TIL THE SEC (starts). Seriously, I am proud of our stronger OOC schedule but the conference schedule is when the rubber meets the road.  Our OOC record helps pad our resume come NCAA TOURNEY time but only if we back it up with strong conference play.  I'm just excited at what's happened up till now.   

Porky McGee

This happens every year. Some of you people aren't happy if we don't go 28-3 in the regular season. Just settle down and watch this team get better. Are we an elite 8 team like some are proclaiming? Probably not, but the potential is there. That UNC team was as good of a half court defensive team as you will see all year. Not many teams will be capable of guarding us the way they did.

JenksHawg

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on November 25, 2017, 10:26:59 pm

No, they're not.

Ironhawg

Wow.  It's way, way too early in the season to lose hope.  UNC is a very good team.  Arkansas just wasn't up to the task.  Gafford has to continue to improve. Macon and Barford have to be more consistent in their shooting.  Beard needs to continue to improve his offense and contribute wherever he can.  Everybody else has to find their role, learn their place on the team and contribute in that role.  I'm not predicting Elite 8 or Final 4, but this can still be a good team by tournament time.  There are still lots of games and practices between now and then.

Pig in the Pokey

quite a melt for a team that hasnt even been in the top 25.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawgball40

Quote from: JenksHawg on November 26, 2017, 12:12:33 pm
No, they're not.
Based on what? They have a 6-8 stretch four that most teams are not going to be able to contain. They are 12 deep without much drop off. Wouldn't be surprised if they run MSU out of the gym today.

Dirty

Win 2/3.  Pretty good IMO!

HogFoo

Well, hopefully games like today make all you Mike naysayers read more and post less.  We may not ha e came out on fire against UNC, but the boys looked like they had something to prove today! They made a point! A statement that they are darn good.  We could have beat Uconn by whatever score we wanted, but Mike put in 2nd teamed and 3rd and they just continued to pour it on.  That's what Nolans teams would do. This team has talent and it's working on developing the depth.  And today was a good example of that depth.  Cj, hall, gafford, thomas, bailey,  those guys are coming along really really well.  If Cook can hopefully be allowed back and if Garland can get cleared this team will take another step forward..  But yeah, all you like the OP, perhaps you should read more and post less .
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Been10Hog

Just saw this post. Wth. Awakening. Mike just awakened a can of whoopass on a big name program at a neutral site   

Iwastherein1969

the 94-95 version of the Hogs that went to the finals and lost to UCLA also lost huge at the beginning of their season...anyone remember getting run off the floor at UMASS ...methinks the score was 104-80...brother, the man who created the thread, you are jumping off the wagon of an elite team....yes, ELITE team, and there, I said it...this team will make the Elite 8 barring critical injuries...the core group of this team can go that far in the NCAA tournament because Gafford can dominate and you'll see a huge difference in Gafford now and Gafford in late February...he'll allow open looks around the perimeter by the time the tournament comes around...I'd hate to be the coach that had to game-plan the Hogs during those couple of weeks.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

JIHawg

Somebody got loose from the state hospital.

forrest city joe

You sound like one of the fire Mike Anders haters,who are upset that he has the program looking outstanding right now.get over it! you have lost the fire Mike Anderson battle.enjoy all the winning,and stop your whining.

incHOGnito

Don't forget Mike Washington, who was playing SEC POTY type ball, injured his back during the battle with Blake Griffin, who we outplayed by a mile, and was not the same player. Pelphrey wasn't going to get us there, but there was a reason we collapsed that was out of the coach's control.

Hogsfan1981

Bump to remind "score check" fans to wait at least 10 games into the season before you open your mouth.

We lose to a top 10 team and defending champ and you melt down on us?

Settle in @$#%#%$#...we are going to lose to worse teams this year.

However, if we lost 20 games this thread would still be stupid.

Is this your first season watching college basketball? Maybe you can go over and whine on the UCONN board until we lose another game.

SPAL