Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Laid an egg

Started by ShadowHawg, November 24, 2017, 04:29:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Played timid, Macon gets hurt, refs played too large a role with timely bad calls

HamIAm

There's a lot there for us to study on film if we should meet again (2nd round I'm sure)

rusvegashog

I'm at work and listened to a good part of the second half on tune in radio. What's the deal with Macon?

HOGINTENNESSEE

That's a d*** good team we played.

HoggyCat

Not much change from last year after all. All the dynamics change when facing real competition.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 24, 2017, 04:32:27 pm

And we lost by damn near 20. So effing what.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

rzrbackramsfan

I personally think our legs were tired and UNC got a first round bye.  We'll be back in it tomorrow.

Bigfoot

Most Roy Williams coached teams are.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 24, 2017, 04:32:55 pm
Not much change from last year after all. All the dynamics change when facing real competition.

Please last year we too that team to the brink. Know what you are talking about

Pinto

Clearly a better team and we were outmatched. We didn't capitalize early when they had a slow start and we paid the price.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 24, 2017, 04:33:36 pm

I think we played well, UNC just played better and made the shots they needed. 

We have to figure out transition D and low post D.  Not many teams will be as long and as talented as this UNC team.

We made one last push to get back to 6, but ran out of gas to finish the job.  Yes, we lost by 19, but a lot of those points were scored when the game was decided in the final minute.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

bigred223

Seriously? Their lead got grew due to desperation plays by us down the stretch. We didn't play very well, and they had a couple of guys who were on fire. Meanwhile Gafford didn't get to play at all first half, and Macon got hurt in the second half. It's one game, and we will be fine.

Darren DeLoach

Asinine...
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

RockyMtnHog

Hogs just ran out of gas.  Cut it to 6 and then ran out.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

JonClaudeVanHam

Threads such as this one ignore all context for the game. There's a lot of context that matters for this one.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

ShadowHawg

Not really. We gave them too much. They didn't take it from us.

We had to play most of the first half without Barford and Gafford.

We did a lot of things wrong. We weren't pushing the ball up the court in the first half. We did a poor job of transitioning from offense to defense.

We didn't make them earn what they got for the most part.

010HogFan

Ignorance. Would have been nice to win but what matters is getting hot at the right time, this loss could be beneficial for the rest of the year.

bigred223

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 24, 2017, 04:40:06 pm

We did a lot of things wrong. We weren't pushing the ball up the court in the first half. We did a poor job of transitioning from offense to defense.

These are things that can be fixed. I personally think they will be soon.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 24, 2017, 04:40:06 pm

Not really? You don't think UNC is good? You must be crazy

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 24, 2017, 04:35:19 pm
I personally think our legs were tired and UNC got a first round bye.  We'll be back in it tomorrow.

I agree. Macon missed wide open shots just a little short in the first half that he has been knocking down so far this season.

I also Agee with whoever said we ran out of gas.

I do not think we were overmatched though.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 24, 2017, 04:38:44 pm
Hogs just ran out of gas.  Cut it to 6 and then ran out.
ran out of gas or did UNC get 4 straight possessions off "questionable" calls?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

LJHOG

they have better players overall than we do

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 24, 2017, 04:42:00 pm
Not really? You don't think UNC is good? You must be crazy

I didn't say they weren't good. You are making stuff up.

I do not believe they are $&@# good though.

010HogFan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 24, 2017, 04:43:53 pm
ran out of gas or did UNC get 4 straight possessions off "questionable" calls?

That one where they called an offensive foul off the ball was really bad. Didn't even get an opportunity to run the offense

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 24, 2017, 04:43:48 pm
I agree. Macon missed wide open shots just a little short in the first half that he has been knocking down so far this season.

I also Agee with whoever said we ran out of gas.

I do not think we were overmatched though.

It's definitely a tough matchup for us, but if we can hit threes it'll open up the floor and build momentum.

HogFoo

Shots weren't falling.  Looks like they got nervous.  We don't really have inside game.  That maye kid killed us.  A few questionable calls. Untimely.  They had confidence when they got down, when we got down, not a whole lot.  We came back when they missed shots.  Cj like I thought is the xfactor.  We are gonna need help from him to beat these teams with great talent.    That's just how it is.  And again the probably aren't many teams that will have that much talent.  None in SEC except UK.  So, I think we'll do pretty well in conf. Play.  Hopefully we can just continue to build quality depth.  If CJ had made a few more of those 3s, or if Macon was hot,  or if we could play Bette defense on maye.  Definitely need Afford to be on floor more.  His ability and threat of shot blocker helps a lot. We definitely need more size inside.  Perhaps Henderson will be able to put on some weight , he's very athletic, I don't think Chaney is a big shot blocker, it's ok tho.  We need our 2nd string guys to get better.  Need cook and hopefully garland .  But, we won't face a team as talented as UNC until we play UK and they aren't as good as good as UNC. So, we'll be ok.  We weren't going to go undefeated.  Even championship team had 3losses.  And we aren't that good yet.  We are getting there tho.  Still win surprise me if we have 14 wins in conf. Play.   We're gonna be a great team  and just get better as the season goes.  Hopefully the confidence comes in every player , the swag, as the wins continue to come.  And make no mistake, the wins are coming!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SEMO Hog

North Carolina played much tougher defense than we did. We still don't have much half court offense when we face a good defense.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Bigfoot on November 24, 2017, 04:36:26 pm
Most Roy Williams coached teams are.

His team this season is not as good as the team he had last season.

That was a winnable game that we should have won.

Need to start winning some against teams such as North Carolina if we want to take the next step towards national relevancy.

I hope North Carolina is not turning into another Kansas for Coach Anderson.  He was 1-9 against Kansas when he was at Missouri, and he is now 0-3 against North Carolina as our Head Coach.

mhuff

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 24, 2017, 04:40:37 pm
Ignorance. Would have been nice to win but what matters is getting hot at the right time, this loss could be beneficial for the rest of the year.
True.         I just think our team was in awe of them. When we started the game we forced some turnovers. At that time I would have pressed to keep the pace up. We also should have pressed after made baskets or FT's. We couldn't have done worse. There were some players that were not putting out on defense.

Our ball movement was poor also. You can't sit around 25 feet from the basket with your finger up your nose . They came out and pressured us and we turned it over.

Oh well just one game and part of the growing process.  Hope Macon is all right.

hog golf

NC has elite players and are well coached. Hogs have talent. And a coach.
We looked lost facing their length and athletism in half court offense. Could not go to the rim effectively against that length inside of NC. We will not see many teams like them in conference (UK), but we need to have a game plan if we plan to get through the first weekend on NCAA tourney.
How many turnovers by Beard? Expected more out of that senior
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 24, 2017, 04:46:07 pm
I didn't say they weren't good. You are making stuff up.

I do not believe they are $&@# good though.

Making stuff up? You are arguing semantics

RealHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 24, 2017, 04:29:28 pm
Played timid, Macon gets hurt, refs played too large a role with timely bad calls

We won't always be playing against the Blue Blood Bonus on the officials, but we have to learn to beat it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Go soak your head dude
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HamIAm

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 24, 2017, 04:35:19 pm

We play Sunday at 2 or 2:30.  Time to rest and get over this one.

Tusks

what happened to Macon?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HamIAm

Razorod

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 24, 2017, 05:06:10 pm
It appeared to me we were a little gassed after yesterday
We were. For CMA's system to actually work against elite competition we need a legit 10-11 player roster. Right now we're at seven, with Thomas getting back into the swing of things and Hall not quite ready. Those two should get better as we play more games and hopefully Cook is playing again soon so he can knock the rust off before conference play. Getting Garland for at least 8-10 minutes a games this year would icing on the cake.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Razorod on November 24, 2017, 05:25:42 pm
We were. For CMA's system to actually work against elite competition we need a legit 10-11 player roster. Right now we're at seven, with Thomas getting back into the swing of things and Hall not quite ready. Those two should get better as we play more games and hopefully Cook is playing again soon so he can knock the rust off before conference play. Getting Garland for at least 8-10 minutes a games this year would icing on the cake.

Why don't we have the depth on the roster already?  This is a poor excuse.

TheSportsGuy

We put all we had into last game to win.  NC didn't need to against Portland.  We didn't have to same energy level.  Shots didn't fall.  Legs were gone.  Simple as that.  We are as good as they are, but just not tonight.  No big deal.  Our team is legit and will continue to get better.  Get a day of rest and finish 2-1.  Move on

010HogFan

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on November 24, 2017, 05:34:19 pm
We put all we had into last game to win.  NC didn't need to against Portland.  We didn't have to same energy level.  Shots didn't fall.  Legs were gone.  Simple as that.  We are as good as they are, but just not tonight.  No big deal.  Our team is legit and will continue to get better.  Get a day of rest and finish 2-1.  Move on

Nobody wants to hear this! Doom and gloom only!

Pork Ranger

I think the loss boiled down to Gafford not being a factor. Really wish Anderson would have played him a bit more in the 1st half despite the two fouls.

LumberBacks

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 24, 2017, 04:37:56 pm
I think we played well, UNC just played better and made the shots they needed. 

We have to figure out transition D and low post D.  Not many teams will be as long and as talented as this UNC team.

We made one last push to get back to 6, but ran out of gas to finish the job.  Yes, we lost by 19, but a lot of those points were scored when the game was decided in the final minute.
True.   But aTm and KY starters include 3 bigs btw 6'8" and 6'10".    That is going to be hard to cover if Trey or Gaff get into foul trouble. 

RebHog

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 24, 2017, 05:43:32 pm
I think the loss boiled down to Gafford not being a factor. Really wish Anderson would have played him a bit more in the 1st half despite the two fouls.

Not sure if that would have helped or not he played stronger down the stretch when I think he finally adjusted to the competition of play. If left out there he might not have been available down the stretch. Gaff will be key for long term success this year. T.Thompson and D. Thomas dont appear to have improved at all which is just sad.Beard looks to have worked his ass off and tried to improve so I give him credit there. The bad is he is still small and slow for his size(althought a little faster with weight change) and still steaky in all aspects. I wish we would could have somehow won this but right now its all about Barford and Macon. I still feel good about this year im hoping Gafford and Hall will continue to develop and put Thompson and Thomas back in to lower roles. Bailey and Jones for me is a wildcard I have no idea what they will bring to the table.

LRHawg

UNC weren't anything special, we just didn't have the energy to play our game. It was always going to be tough after last night's game. I wish we could get a game against UNC without having to play a tough one the night before. We missed a big opportunity to turn some heads early this year but there'll be more.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on November 24, 2017, 05:34:19 pm

hobhog

We didn't lay an egg. Just got beat by a better team, program, and coach. It's expected here these days.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hobhog on November 24, 2017, 06:21:16 pm
We didn't lay an egg. Just got beat by a better team, program, and coach. It's expected here these days.

Laid an egg. Much more even matchup than you are saying.

hawginbigd1

We will only go as far as Barford and Macon can take us, and they didn't play well enough. Gafford will be inconsistent most of the season. Outside of those 3 we don't have another scoring option besides Beard and he is a 12 points in 30 plus minutes guy. CJ is not fulfilling his role so far. Missing Garland is huge imo.

deserthog

Quote from: RebHog on November 24, 2017, 06:05:36 pm
Not sure if that would have helped or not he played stronger down the stretch when I think he finally adjusted to the competition of play. If left out there he might not have been available down the stretch. Gaff will be key for long term success this year. T.Thompson and D. Thomas dont appear to have improved at all which is just sad.Beard looks to have worked his ass off and tried to improve so I give him credit there. The bad is he is still small and slow for his size(althought a little faster with weight change) and still steaky in all aspects. I wish we would could have somehow won this but right now its all about Barford and Macon. I still feel good about this year im hoping Gafford and Hall will continue to develop and put Thompson and Thomas back in to lower roles. Bailey and Jones for me is a wildcard I have no idea what they will bring to the table.

Touchet

niels_boar

The supporting cast wasn't ready to carry us to a win over a top-ten team when our best five were hardly ever on the court together.  The bench will get stronger as the season progresses.  We needed CJ to go off with the Macon's injury and Barford's foul trouble, but it's not quite fair to expect him to go off and carry us to a win over a possible FF team at this point in his career.  Going 4 for 10 from the arc was hardly a poor showing. Those two that he hit in a row down the stretch on our late run will pay dividends later.  Young players need to see good things happen to develop confidence.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.