Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much did replacing Gearhart with Steinmetz have to do with firing Jeff Long?

Started by rtr, November 19, 2017, 10:45:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Pecos Hog

trippigs

I think it could be significant. Steinmetz just wanted his hire on his staff...it happens all the time with new management.

jgphillips3

Gearhart was absolutely a shield for Long.  Steinmetz has no love for or loyalty to Long.  I would say it was definitely a key part in the BOT making this move.

hogfanmd

Quote from: trippigs on November 19, 2017, 11:14:52 am
I think it could be significant. Steinmetz just wanted his hire on his staff...it happens all the time with new management.

The files will be unsealed / released oct 1, 2025 and then we will know for sure

BayofPigs

wachhog

Quote from: BayofPigs on November 19, 2017, 11:22:11 am
Why did Gearhart leave ? I missed that completely
As far as I was concerned, he was a part of something much worse than Petrino's misbehavior, since it involved fiscal malfeasance. It took Long and company 9 days to fire Bobby; Gearhart survived several years. Some on here wanted to run Jeff Long for president. Flew a banner proclaiming such! Oh, the irony.

hog_fan

Mike Irwin

From what I've been told it had little to do with it. Steinmetz saw his job as administering the academic side. He pretty much left athletics to Long. The BOT has decided that they need to do a better job of supervising Steinmetz. He needs to do a better job of supervising the AD and the AD needs to do a better job of supervising the various head coaches. Not micromanaging but staying in touch with what each is doing and why and asking hard questions when necessary.

As always, believe it or not. I wasn't there when this was discussed. The only people that were there were the BOT members and Steinmetz.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 19, 2017, 11:43:26 am
From what I've been told it had little to do with it. Steinmetz saw his job as administering the academic side. He pretty much left athletics to Long. The BOT has decided that they need to do a better job of supervising Steinmetz. He needs to do a better job of supervising the AD and the AD needs to do a better job of supervising the various head coaches. Not micromanaging but staying in touch with what each is doing and why and asking hard questions when necessary.

As always, believe it or not. I wasn't there when this was discussed. The only people that were there were the BOT members and Steinmetz.

I believe Bobbitt was in there, he's the one that called Steinmetz into the meeting. Probably the old "it rolls down hill" move.

rtr

Interesting very interesting, as Artie Johnson used to say.  He must have received very emphatic instructions because he certainly didn't waste any time implementing them.

The reason I brought this up is something seemed to change after Gearhart was gone and Steinmetz in a radio interview, after he was first hired, said that he thought the football and men's basketball program were a very important feature to a state university like the University of Arkansas
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

AlmaHog2011

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Coming from Ohio St. maybe Steinmetz understands how a good football program can impact a school.

It's completely retarded but it is what it is in this culture we have today.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 19, 2017, 04:53:05 pm
Coming from Ohio St. maybe Steinmetz understands how a good football program can impact a school.

It's completely retarded but it is what it is in this culture we have today.

No. It has ALWAYS been like that. Since the 30's anyway.

go hogues

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 19, 2017, 04:53:05 pm
Coming from Ohio St. maybe Steinmetz understands how a good football program can impact a school. didn't want to work with a Michigan man.
FIFY  ;D
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

moses_007

Steinmetz just delivered the termination letter.  He only did what the president and BOT told him to do.  Steinmetz didn't decide to fire Jeff Long... he was just following instructions.

redeye

That sounds like one big mess, with those still around sharing the most responsibility.