Grizzlyfan

with AD recommendations like:

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

Is this actually indicative of the intellect of Hogville posters?

I just want to shout out again to BigBrandonAllenFan for actually proposing someone who actually serves as an athletic director.  Even if he is from UCA.

The Hawg Marshal

That's Hogville for you. Heck somebody even proposed Peyton manning for coach a few weeks back. They'll put out any name that comes to mind. It's quite mad actually.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 16, 2017, 03:08:12 pm

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

I just want to shout out again to BigBrandonAllenFan for actually proposing someone who actually serves as an athletic director.  Even if he is from UCA.

You forgot Hootie.

hogsanity

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

They are dead serious.  Gots to gets us a good ole arkansas boy inuns heres to shows dem dangblasted carpet baggers from upins yonder howuns to runs a fuhbawl progrum.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DoctorSusscrofa

If you start requiring them to be serious they's not gonna like it.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

hoglady

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

Heck, Rick Schaffer was pushing Quinn Grovey on Drive Time yesterday.
I could see Bazzell for his fund-raising ability.
But I highly doubt anyone on that list is on any short list for AD, but who knows.
I think USC only hires ex-players as AD.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 16, 2017, 03:11:46 pm
You forgot Hootie.
Holy cow, how did I leave him out?  that may be the crème de la crème of bad ideas.

Wildhog

Yes, they're serious.  This board is populated with lunatics.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

_Hamlet_

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

You're being irrational not considering these guys ^

jkstock04

I don't give a flip who the AD is as long as they put an emphasis on winning football games. That needs to be a serious #1 requirement of the football coach.

Shocking aspect I know. But that's what I want...just my .02 cents.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BR

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 03:11:08 pm
That's Hogville for you. Heck somebody even proposed Peyton manning for coach a few weeks back. They'll put out any name that comes to mind. It's quite mad actually.
That way if somebody Guess's right... They will claim "THEY have Sources" for life... 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 16, 2017, 03:17:44 pm
I don't give a flip who the AD is as long as they put an emphasis on winning football games. That needs to be a serious #1 requirement of the football coach.

I contend that anyone who thinks Jeff Long didn't put an emphasis on winning football games is delusional.  Now to you that might mean having a press conference every week to talk about how terrible Bielema is.  or firing him after week 6.  But not doing either of those things does not prove that he did not put an emphasis on winning football games.

hogsanity

And how are the supposed to show that emphasis? Hiring a coach with lets say 2 years HC experience at a g5 school to come coach in the SECW. What does that emphasis look like?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

No they just want to post something.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

There is talk about how going the businessman route of hiring AD's is contributing to the huge turnover in head coaches of P5 programs.
A businessman AD is making a hire he's not really qualified to make.
So I guess it just depends on what type AD you want - go the route of a USC or Wisconsin (ex coaches and players) or businessman.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

RME

247Hog

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

Guess i don't understand why this is a lunatic AD choice?

TT coached at Auburn. Knows the SEC. Gus is announced to be the next head hog would be mean both AD and HC coached at Auburn and understand the SEC West. Could do a hell of a lot worse.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

_Hamlet_

Quote from: hoglady on November 16, 2017, 03:22:47 pm
There is talk about how going the businessman route of hiring AD's is contributing to the huge turnover in head coaches of P5 programs.
So I guess it just depends on what type AD you want - go the route of a USC or Wisconsin (ex coaches and players) or businessman.

Seems Jerry Jones could be our best candidate. Fights against conformity, independent thinker, and Arkansan.

hoglady

Quote from: 247Hog on November 16, 2017, 03:23:35 pm
Guess i don't understand why this is a lunatic AD choice?

I don't think it is either - if they choose to go the ex-coach route for AD.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:21:10 pm
And how are the supposed to show that emphasis? Hiring a coach with lets say 2 years HC experience at a g5 school to come coach in the SECW. What does that emphasis look like?
If his pay and contract are on a short rope with the understanding he's gotta win or he will be gone that looks like a good emphasis to me.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 16, 2017, 03:20:14 pm
I contend that anyone who thinks Jeff Long didn't put an emphasis on winning football games is delusional.  Now to you that might mean having a press conference every week to talk about how terrible Bielema is.  or firing him after week 6.  But not doing either of those things does not prove that he did not put an emphasis on winning football games.
Add me to the delusional camp.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hoglady on November 16, 2017, 03:22:47 pm
Well that is certainly risk.  But even if you do hire a "football guy" as AD he may be more qualified to hire a football coach, but what about basketball coach, or baseball coach or track coach?  At the U of A I would say it's pretty important to hire the right track coach if a spot comes open.

But I just think in the 21st century, with all the money at stake, it's more important to have a professional administrator (most likely an attorney) in charge of your athletic department.

_Hamlet_

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:21:10 pm

I guess some of us don't like to win.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 16, 2017, 03:25:02 pm
If his pay and contract are on a short rope with the understanding he's gotta win or he will be gone that looks like a good emphasis to me.
Every coach understands if he doesn't win he will be gone.  But what kind of coach are you going to get with a short contract?

ipigsooie

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

The last guy we hired was a professional AD. How'd that end up?

hoglady

Quote from: _Hamlet_ on November 16, 2017, 03:24:39 pm
Seems Jerry Jones could be our best candidate. Fights against conformity, independent thinker, and Arkansan.

He's just so involved in the day to day operations of the Cowboys - I just can't see him giving that up.

hogsanity

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 16, 2017, 03:26:49 pm

From a business standpoint it ended up very well.

razorbackfaninar

I am curious what that would look like.  I mean what would an AD who put an emphasis on winning football games do, as opposed to any other AD.

jkstock04

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 16, 2017, 03:26:44 pm
Every coach understands if he doesn't win he will be gone.  But what kind of coach are you going to get with a short contract?
Up and comer. And I don't think Bielema thought that. He mused after going 0-8 his first year. "Better that we went ahead and lost that game." I never wanna hear that crap in a press conference ever again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

311Hog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 16, 2017, 03:26:49 pm
very very well from what i can see.  the football results are the fault of the coach and to some degree the AD if the AD refuses to do something about the coach etc.

_Hamlet_

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:27:52 pm

For who?? Long himself? The past 3 years was a constant smokescreen - expanding the stadium, rotating coaching staff, and wolfhog.. seems like we are left with his dirty laundry he left laying around.

Piggage

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:12:04 pm
They are dead serious.  Gots to gets us a good ole arkansas boy inuns heres to shows dem dangblasted carpet baggers from upins yonder howuns to runs a fuhbawl progrum.

Exactly. Proposing these names for AD is the same mindset as saying ...

1) "We have to step up in recruiting. We need more 4* and 5* national recruits. We can't finish 11-12 in the SEC in recruiting and expect to compete."

And ALSO saying ...

2) "I seen Joe Bob running back who plays for Kornfield Kounty HS. Is he bein' recruited by the Hogs? If those coaches had any sense, they'd be down here recruitin' him 'coz he'd be a goodun."

And I'll hang up and listen.

jkstock04

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 16, 2017, 03:29:10 pm
I am curious what that would look like.  I mean what would an AD who put an emphasis on winning football games do, as opposed to any other AD.
Take a look at Jeff Long vs say most other ADs in the SEC.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

311Hog

Quote from: _Hamlet_ on November 16, 2017, 03:30:27 pm
For who?? Long himself? The past 3 years was a constant smokescreen - expanding the stadium, rotating coaching staff, and wolfhog.. seems like we are left with his dirty laundry he left laying around.

dude he has been the AD since 2009, all you gotta do is walk around campus to see the impact. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:27:52 pm

And there's the problem. From a business standpoint and grade point average increase, we are all-Americans. I dont remember a point in our history when we have been financially distressed.  You can win and make money. That is an actual thing .  I don't care who we hire, but that guy better be able to hire coaches. It's called "athletic department" for a reason. It's for the athletics...not fund raising or academics.

_Hamlet_

Quote from: hoglady on November 16, 2017, 03:27:05 pm
He's just so involved in the day to day operations of the Cowboys - I just can't see him giving that up.

You're right. When it comes down to it, I agree.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 16, 2017, 03:31:02 pm
Take a look at Jeff Long vs say most other ADs in the SEC.

The Ad at FLA, or the one at TN, or the one at OM, or the one at LSU, or maybe the one at A&M?

Give us some specifics of what it would like for a AD to put an emphasis on winning football.

311Hog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 16, 2017, 03:31:34 pm
And there's the problem. From a business standpoint and grade point average increase, we are all-Americans. I dont remember a point in our history when we have been financially distressed.  You can win and make money. That is an actual thing .  I don't care who we hire, but that guy better be able to hire coaches. It's called "athletic department" for a reason. It's for the athletics...not fund raising or academics.

you would be surprised how important BOTH things are....

hoglady

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 16, 2017, 03:25:47 pm
Well that is certainly risk.  But even if you do hire a "football guy" as AD he may be more qualified to hire a football coach, but what about basketball coach, or baseball coach or track coach?  At the U of A I would say it's pretty important to hire the right track coach if a spot comes open.

But I just think in the 21st century, with all the money at stake, it's more important to have a professional administrator (most likely an attorney) in charge of your athletic department.

I understand what you're saying.
Hopefully, they'll find someone who can do both well.

elksnort

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 03:22:13 pm
Is this post what Alanis Morrisset (sp) meant when sung about IRONY?

elksnort

_Hamlet_

Quote from: 311Hog on November 16, 2017, 03:31:24 pm
dude he has been the AD since 2009, all you gotta do is walk around campus to see the impact.

Exactly my point! Smokescreen. While you're walking around don't forget to take a look at our win percentage of the ONLY profitable sport on campus.

fieldturf

Tommy Tuberville, damn right bring him home!

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:32:20 pm
The Ad at FLA, or the one at TN, or the one at OM, or the one at LSU, or maybe the one at A&M?

Give us some specifics of what it would like for a AD to put an emphasis on winning football.
Sure...let's look at Auburn for example. Malzahn has had how many "get fired" games this year? They want to and expect to win. I'm not saying we should be on THAT level, but we need to have more emphasis than we had with Bielema/Long.

On a personal note try not to remind and convince fans in the midst of a flailing and failure of a football program that winning is only secondary.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Spektre

Tom Bowen - University of Memphis

Back to Back to Back great football hires and brought in Tubby Smith for basketball.

He'd be my choice hands down. All of the Arkansas names being tossed around have a history of baggage or aren't very qualified for the position it seems.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 03:22:13 pm

The most self-unaware post in the history of Hogville!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

nervestrike

I believe Gragg at Tulsa will be the new AD.

elksnort

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 16, 2017, 03:41:52 pm

The most self-unaware post in the history of Hogville!
And he might have been the one of coined the Blue Cross slogan, "Live Fearless"

Which drives me nuts that a huge corporation will not display a slogan with proper grammar. Perhaps I should not be too surprised.

BearsBisonsBoars

I am serious about being insincerious.