Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does a bowl game save CBB's job?

Started by Wildhog, October 16, 2017, 10:11:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

If we manage to win 6 games this season, does that save CBB's job?

Yes
89 (49.7%)
No
90 (50.3%)

Total Members Voted: 179

texas tush hog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 16, 2017, 10:11:40 am
What say you?  I think he needs to go, regardless.

He will, regardless.

DoctorSusscrofa

I voted no.  That's more personal choice than what will happen. I think if he wins 6 and then wins the bowl he'll be on the bubble.  We'll keep him or let him go based on what's on the market and how the market looks.  But I doubt he wins 6 or can win a bowl even if he does.  Auburn, LSU, OM and Miss St have had their bad games for the year. They'll all play somewhere between good and excellent when they play us. We might have one or two good games against exactly the right opponent, but we won't have four. We'll probably win 2 or 3 out of 6.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Ironhawg

IMHO if this team manages to get to a bowl game, any bowl game, Long and Bielema will point to this as clear progress from the start of the season and reason to bring Bielema back next season.  Bielema will especially point to the injury to AA as a major hurdle the team had to overcome and will make some snarky comment about negative fans. 
If this comes to pass, as next fall rolls around, I will be the least excited I have been for any Razorback football season in my entire life.  That is up to and including Smile's year.

HawgPound

I will go a step farther and say losses to AU, Miss State and LSU he still keeps his job if Long is still there.

Tejano Jawg

The first question is how to we get to 6 wins? The South Carolina episode kinda made that a little trickier.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

EastexHawg

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 16, 2017, 10:52:15 am
Out of curiosity, what was your expectations at the start of the season?  I honestly thought with so many receiving corp losses, 8-4 was prob the high water mark, felt like 7-5 was likely.  So im not disappointed if we get to 6-6.

What does it matter what anyone's expectation for the season was?  I read this all the time, not just from you.  So someone thought we were probably going to be a 6-6 football team this year, and if we finish with that record they will find the season and the coaching to have met expectations.

WTH?

My expectation is that in a coach's fifth season we ought not have to settle for...maybe, if all the teams left on our schedule are as bad as we think they may be...getting to one of the worst bowl games out there, on a Tuesday night before Christmas.  It's that we shouldn't have ESPN commentators patronizing us, saying things like, "Aw, look at that, little Arkansas can make a good play.  They deserve a pat on the head and a lollipop!"  It's that we shouldn't be perusing the schedule and trying to figure out if we can win an SEC game, thinking Missouri on Thanksgiving weekend might be our best shot.  It's that we shouldn't have people starting threads lauding how encouraging a 41-9 loss, in a game in which the opposing coach pulled his starters for a good bit of the fourth quarter, was to them.

It's that we shouldn't be tied with Kentucky, and one game ahead of Vanderbilt, in the race for the worst record in the SEC since the start of the 2013 season.

Those are a few of my expectations.

userpick

HiggiePiggy

I wanted to say no, but I can't do it. As much as I hope this is his last year I feel that if he makes it to a bowl game he will find a way to stay another year. 

He is on the back half now and has 3 games that are at home and has a good chance to win them.  I think he loses to auburn, but I think it will be closer than what people think.  Missouri, Mississippi State, and Costal Carolina are games he can win. Ole Miss and LSU are still questionable also. 

Man this division sucks and we still can't do anything in it. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pecos Hog

Sadly, 6 wins probably saves him and prolongs our misery.    But, I seriously doubt it's possible for us to find 4 more wins this season.

Roaringboar

Not unless we win out......8-4 would mean he stays for sure......but if it's like 6-6 I really doubt it....but let's face it, we won't even get that far.......Auburn is going to rip us to pieces, LSU is going to full on slam us because they're rallying for their coaches now, Miss State is a much better team than we are, Ole Miss' offense is starting to find a groove, and those losses would put us at at 2-8, with our only chances at victory coming against Coastal Carolina and Mizzou.......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Svrdhd

If Jeff Long has a strong candidate expressing interest I think we'll have a decision well before the season is over.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Scott7703

Hogball58

I think we do get to a bowl game. Win the bowl game.  CBB will be our coach for next year and win the SEC. GO HOGS!

31to6

Quote from: Wildhog on October 16, 2017, 10:11:40 am
What say you?  I think he needs to go, regardless.
I think it will.

I do not think it should.

rude1

If he makes and wins the bowl game, yes I believe he would be brought back with the reasoning being, four straight bowl games, winners of three, no other Hog coach has produced such stellar numbers. If he loses the bowl game and finishes 6-7, that rhetoric will be impossible to use as reasoning for bringing him back.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 16, 2017, 12:25:45 pm
The first question is how to we get to 6 wins? The South Carolina episode kinda made that a little trickier.

Agree. That bowl has sailed.

thebignasty

jgphillips3

That would be a 6-6 bowl game.  So, presumably, we would have to beat 3 of Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, MSU and Mizzou.  I think we can forget about Auburn and LSU.  So, 3 non-cons and victories over three of the worst teams in the SEC.  Yeah...I don't see that saving him unless Cole Kelley stays at QB, young players start dominating on offense and defense.  He could only survive if he wins enough AND there was hope for the future.  The problem with that is, if the O-line suddenly works now that our most talented players are on the field, it will be his horrible mismanagement that led to losing 2 or 3 games we shouldn't have and only changing when his job was on the line.  Does anyone want an employee they have to threaten to fire to make him do his job?  What happens when the pressure is off?  I would say he only survives if he runs the table with young studs leading the way or, at least only loses to Auburn or LSU.  Basically, he can't survive except with a miracle.