Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Les Miles to Replace Bielema.........

Started by moses_007, October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: sickboy on October 09, 2017, 01:13:29 pm
Ok. I laughed when you said Les Miles. But I'm actually worried about you. You think Mark Richt is going to leave Miami, his Alma Mater, to come coach Arkansas?

Richt is less than 0% possibility.

Yeah, Mark will pribably end his career there

Calling All Hogs

I'm hearing Kurt Anderson wrote Jeff a letter praising his integrity and has already been hired as head coach. They are currently negotiating the terms of his contract which Jeff promises will keep Kurt "our man" for a very long time.

hogsanity

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:38:22 pm
I believe it has finally sunk into Bielema's thick head that he will never get the job done here.  He tried, bless his heart, but he was a total failure.

Well again what was the job? To win a sec title, which I think was BB's goal, then yea he failed. Any coach that comes here has to do so understanding how much lightning they have to catch in a bottle just to be in a spot to play for the sec title here, much less win it. I think BB thought he really could build a team to compete, and it just did not happen, and the wheels have come completely off now, the brakes have failed, and they are on the downhill side of Pike's Peak.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Redhogs

Quote from: rzrbk4life on October 09, 2017, 01:38:01 pm
Don't we have turf? I figure that's a deal breaker for les
Nope..artificial, we are safe.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Tortfeasor

No thanks. Funny people post his record and would expect him to come here and do the same thing he did at LSU. Not going to happen. It was at LSU where they have a lot more talent to pick from, better program, and a more recent history of winning. He couldn't pull it off here.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 01:23:26 pm
And any coach at Ar did what against Bama since Saban got there? Or any other coach for that matter anywhere that the Hogs might possibly maybe could get? YEs, lets turn our nose up at a guy who actually won a NC and actually beat Saban because his teams had trouble beating Bama.

In half the posts you make you bang the drum that what really matters most in terms of a coach's and school's record is recruiting base.  But...now...when it is convenient to do so you completely ignore the point I made about what Miles did with LSU talent.  Not Arkansas talent, but LSU talent.

According to Rivals, here are LSU's class rankings during Miles' last ten years:

2007    4
2008   11
2009    2
2010    6
2011    6
2012   18
2013    6
2014    2
2015    8
2016    5

In other words, he never in any four year period had more than one recruiting class on campus that ranked outside the top six in the nation.  His average class rank was 6.7.  His last four classes averaged #4 in the country...and during those four years his SEC record was 15-10.

During the same ten years, Arkansas' average class rank was #30.  And yet...during that time Arkansas went 5-5 against Miles' teams and talent.

What do you suppose that 15-10 SEC record Miles put up from 2013-2016 would have been if he had been coaching #30 talent instead of #4 classes?

No to Les Milles.  Likely good Guy.  Had far better players than he would have at Arkansas.  His scheme on O would likely produce 6 or 7 wins annually here.  NOOOO

Jim Harris

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 pm
I believe it's already a done deal, as soon as Jeff Long decides to give Bielema his walking papers.

I realize many on here don't like Miles, but look at the man's record at LSU.  114-34 in 12 seasons, no season less than 8 wins, one national championship.  Remember, Les went up and met with Jeff Long before Bielema was hired... and everyone blew it off as just a friendly visit.  I believe Les wanted the Arkansas job then, and he'd for certain take it now.

Jeff Long wants a coach that has winning experience in the SEC.  No other coach but Les Miles fits that criteria.

Miles hasn't wanted the Arkansas job. But now that he can't get another job, he'll take it, sure.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

TNhawgfan

Quote from: AP85 on October 09, 2017, 01:20:06 pm
It will be Paul Rhoades.
Good Lord, no. Did we learn nothing from John L? You don't give big 12 or 10 rejects a second try in the SEC. Besides, our D sucks!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 09, 2017, 01:50:50 pm
In half the posts you make you bang the drum that what really matters most in terms of a coach's and school's record is recruiting base.  But...now...when it is convenient to do so you completely ignore the point I made about what Miles did with LSU talent.  Not Arkansas talent, but LSU talent.

According to Rivals, here are LSU's class rankings during Miles' last ten years:

2007    4
2008   11
2009    2
2010    6
2011    6
2012   18
2013    6
2014    2
2015    8
2016    5

In other words, he never in any four year period had more than one recruiting class on campus that ranked outside the top six in the nation.  His average class rank was 6.7.  His last four classes averaged #4 in the country...and during those four years his SEC record was 15-10.

During the same ten years, Arkansas' average class rank was #30.  And yet...during that time Arkansas went 5-5 against Miles' teams and talent.

What do you suppose that 15-10 SEC record Miles put up from 2013-2016 would have been if he had been coaching
#30 talent instead of #4 classes?

I did not ignore it. It actually drives home a point that some of us have been making for years. IF you cant beat Bama with that type of talent more than once in a blue moon, how are you going to win here with the talent the Hogs get.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: 12247 on October 09, 2017, 01:51:25 pm
No to Les Milles.  Likely good Guy.  Had far better players than he would have at Arkansas.  His scheme on O would likely produce 6 or 7 wins annually here.  NOOOO
hell no to Leslie
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

The_Bionic_Pig

October 09, 2017, 01:54:42 pm #61 Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:08:42 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
I think the berometer this season for Jeff Long is Bowl Eligibility but next season is probably improvement upon that.

A 3-4 win season might be enough to push JL to do something.

Realistic candidates are probably:

Charlie Strong
Greg Schiano

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

moses_007

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 01:44:38 pm
Well again what was the job? To win a sec title, which I think was BB's goal, then yea he failed. Any coach that comes here has to do so understanding how much lightning they have to catch in a bottle just to be in a spot to play for the sec title here, much less win it. I think BB thought he really could build a team to compete, and it just did not happen, and the wheels have come completely off now, the brakes have failed, and they are on the downhill side of Pike's Peak.
He said he was taking us to places we've never been.  He sure did.  No coach has ever kept us in the cellar of the SEC West like Bielema has.  Frankly I can't remember us ever finishing in the cellar under another coach... unless it was the mediocre teams of the early 90s right after we joined the SEC.

hogsanity

Look, I want to be clear. I do not actually want Les here. It would provide for great entertainment on Hogville and the radio shows, but would not significantly improve the product on the field.

HognotinMemphis

Les is too old now. He'll never coach again in SEC.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

moses_007

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 09, 2017, 01:57:02 pm
Les is too old now. He'll never coach again in SEC.
Saban is too old also, yet he's still coaching.  One would think Nick would retire.  He's filthy rich, and so is his wife. 

Look at how old Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden were when they finished their careers.  They were in their late 80s.

hoghiker

It probably won't be Les Miles but I'd bet money its not going to be anyone the fan base gets excited about. I'm not sure where we go or who we get. We got some money but so does everyone else. The up and comer list is going to be pretty picked over, in my opinion, by the time our number comes up. Some body give me some hope that we don't take our ugly cousin to the prom.

ipigsooie

I am on the Mike Norvell train. I also dont understand why nobody mentions Charlie Strong. I would love a guy with roots and Arkansas passion. I think Les is a really good coach but not a great fit.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

TNRazorbacker

Again, good coach bad fit. Might as well just keep Bielema.

moses_007

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 09, 2017, 02:06:21 pm
I am on the Mike Norvell train. I also dont understand why nobody mentions Charlie Strong. I would love a guy with roots and Arkansas passion. I think Les is a really good coach but not a great fit.
Yes, he has Arkansas roots, but he bombed out badly at Texas.

Tommy Tubberville would be a better choice than Strong.  He has Arkansas roots too. 

The_Bionic_Pig

I did :)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 02:09:51 pm
Yes, he has Arkansas roots, but he bombed out badly at Texas.

Tommy Tubberville would be a better choice than Strong.  He has Arkansas roots too. 

Tubberville hasn't coached since shoes were made out of leather.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Randy Cavender

moses_007

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 09, 2017, 02:09:14 pm
Again, good coach bad fit. Might as well just keep Bielema.
Keeping Bielema isn't an option at this point.

Polecat

Quote from: Wildhog on October 09, 2017, 01:19:30 pm
One of my biggest fears with Long making the hire is that he'll focus more on "name" than ability.

Same here
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

ADavisTheGOAT

No I want someone who can coach an offense.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

shown006

Might as well have wrote....Tom Jurich to replace Jeff Long.  :)
WPS!

hogsanity

Why the love for Norvell? Was it the 80-5 record last year? The boot stomping by UCF this year? Let me guess, they score a slot so that means he must be good.

moses_007

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on October 09, 2017, 02:14:56 pm
We have that coach right now--Dan Enos.  But his playcalling has been limited because of the style of offense Bielema insists that we run.  CBB should just turn Enos loose and let him design an offense based on the talent we have right now, and you'd see a real improvement in our performance. 

greasy_corner

That would play out like Nutt at Ole Miss....w/o the lawsuit.

hogsanity

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on October 09, 2017, 02:14:56 pm

Yea, defense is only for teams that actually win stuff like titles. Why would we want that.

howie76

Miles has to have friends on here starting these threads... I just don't see any way he could get the blue chip recruits here like he had at lsu. Maybe he would but I just don't see it. We have to get a coach that's creative on offense that can recruit and hope he hires a dc that can do a good job.

HognitiveDissonance

This is Exhibit A of why anything read on Hogville should be taken very carefully.

You just hired a coach with the same credentials. Three Big 10 titles, multiple Rose Bowls, multiple 1000-yard rushers, etc etc etc. PROVEN WINNER.
(Was it at Arkansas? Was it in the SEC? No and No.

You watch that struggle so far, even regress, at this job.

Yet you turn right around and apply the same logic to Les Miles. PROVEN WINNER. Won big in the SEC. Won a national championship.
Was it at Arkansas? No.

PEOPLE...you have to extrapolate what someone does somewhere else and determine what it means to this situation! This isn't Wisconsin, it's not LSU. This is a unique job, with its own pros and cons!

I happen to think Miles is a pretty good coach, but that's as far as I would go. He's not special or innovative enough to consistently win enough here. This isn't LSU.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 09, 2017, 01:11:16 pm
Funny that people on hogville say heck no to a coach that was 114-34.

That's to be expected. If he'd just hire a mistress, he'd be our guy.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 pm
I believe it's already a done deal, as soon as Jeff Long decides to give Bielema his walking papers.

I realize many on here don't like Miles, but look at the man's record at LSU.  114-34 in 12 seasons, no season less than 8 wins, one national championship.  Remember, Les went up and met with Jeff Long before Bielema was hired... and everyone blew it off as just a friendly visit.  I believe Les wanted the Arkansas job then, and he'd for certain take it now.

Jeff Long wants a coach that has winning experience in the SEC.  No other coach but Les Miles fits that criteria.

If this happens you should probably move...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

Quote from: howie76 on October 09, 2017, 02:31:47 pm
Miles has to have friends on here starting these threads... I just don't see any way he could get the blue chip recruits here like he had at lsu. Maybe he would but I just don't see it. We have to get a coach that's creative on offense that can recruit and hope he hires a dc that can do a good job.

So he has to have friends starting these threads, but Leach and Norvell and Morris all make perfect sense.

howie76

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 02:34:51 pm
So he has to have friends starting these threads, but Leach and Norvell and Morris all make perfect sense.
just seems I see more threads started with his name.. but I've bn wrong once befor.. u probably make a valid point

Miles had superior talent in at least 10 games a year he coached. That number is 4-6 at Arkansas.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 09, 2017, 02:34:07 pm
This is Exhibit A of why anything read on Hogville should be taken very carefully.

You just hired a coach with the same credentials. Three Big 10 titles, multiple Rose Bowls, multiple 1000-yard rushers, etc etc etc. PROVEN WINNER.

Yet you turn right around and apply the same logic to Les Miles. PROVEN WINNER. Won big in the SEC. Won a national championship.
Was it at Arkansas? No.

PEOPLE...you have to extrapolate what someone does somewhere else and determine what it means to this situation! This isn't Wisconsin, it's not LSU. This is a unique job, with its own pros and cons!

I happen to think Miles is a pretty good coach, but that's as far as I would go. He's not special or innovative enough to consistently win enough here. This isn't LSU.
Best post I've read on Hogville today.

HoggyCat

Long will not make the hire, EVEN IF he is still here.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 09, 2017, 02:34:07 pm

Was it at Arkansas? No.

What is win consistently enough here? How many wins is that? IF it is consistently more than 8 I will give you the guys name Know Bod E.

RideTillIDieHawg

Not sure on Miles. Definitely don't want Schiano though, hate that guy.

elksnort

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:11:21 pm
Yes they are good buddies, and I think that's why he will get the job.  Plus, he's available right now, and we won't have to pay any buyout to get him.

The other good possibility is Mark Richt, lots of SEC experience and a very good record at Georgia.  I don't know if we could lure him away from Miami or not.  He seems really happy there.
The fact that you just brought up Mark Richt makes your first post lose any credibility it might have had. Not trying to be mean, just saying recruiting is a little easier at Miami.

gchamblee

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 09, 2017, 01:37:52 pm
i will literally burn something down

Attention Arson Detectives, I would like t point you to this confession. We all know Pokee to be a fun loving entertaining poster and would be horrified of such an event, but seeing a guy with his screen name actually get arrested for burning something down would be hilarious :)

jvanhorn

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:12:56 pm
And that record is in the SEC... not the Sunbelt or Conference USA.

Actually a better guage of how Miles might do here is to look at his record at Oklahoma State where he did a fine job with way less talent.  Unlike coming from the Big 10 he for sure knows what it takes to win in the SEC.  If he is offered and accepts the job it must be because he thinks he can positive things here, maybe not on the scale of what he did at LSU, but much better than what he have had going for the last 5 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: elksnort on October 09, 2017, 02:45:52 pm

, just saying recruiting is a little easier at Miami.

this keep coming up alot. Recruiting is easier at Miami, recruiting is easier at LSu, Tuscalossa, Athens, Auburn, etc.

SamBuckhart

Barry Switzer or Jimmy Johnson. JJ could still do it.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:11:21 pm
Yes they are good buddies, and I think that's why he will get the job.  Plus, he's available right now, and we won't have to pay any buyout to get him.

The other good possibility is Mark Richt, lots of SEC experience and a very good record at Georgia.  I don't know if we could lure him away from Miami or not.  He seems really happy there.
They're both Michigan men. Long gave Miles an interview in order to up his position in getting a raise at LSU. LSU has something we don't, built in recruiting. Miles would be like Bielema here and the astro turf won't taste as good either.You think I whine a lot now, let Miles get hired. Besides Jeff ain't makin this hire anyway. ;)

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation