Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Les Miles to Replace Bielema.........

Started by moses_007, October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

Quote from: elksnort on October 09, 2017, 02:45:52 pm
The fact that you just brought up Mark Richt makes your first post lose any credibility it might have had. Not trying to be mean, just saying recruiting is a little easier at Miami.
I brought up Richt only because he fits the mold Jeff Long is looking for.  Doesn't mean that he would even consider coaching here.

I have really been wondering lately if it isn't going to take a fine Christian coach to turn this program around.  Both Richt and Miles are good Christians. 

hogfan870

This is why Long can't be involved in the next hire.  Miles would be Nutt 3.0 and Bielema 2.0.  Arkansas needs a coach that gives us a chance to win based upon scheme.  We need someone to make the hire that recognizes pure coaching talent.  There is a young Petrino, Chip Kelley, or even Gus Malzahn out there, probably serving as a coordinator somewhere. 

If we just try and hire another impressive resume that is going to try and out-muscle other teams we should just get used to getting beat (and may as well keep Bielema). 

HawgTide

Quote from: Kevin on October 09, 2017, 01:10:23 pm
he once called us ar-kansas 

no thanks

No on the Mad Hatter. Les is way past his prime. If he would have adapted he would still be at LSU killing it with their crazy instate talent but he didn't and now he's done.

moses_007

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 02:49:38 pm
I brought up Richt only because he fits the mold Jeff Long is looking for.  Doesn't mean that he would even consider coaching here.

I have really been wondering lately if it isn't going to take a fine Christian coach to turn this program around.  Both Richt and Miles are good Christians. 

How does one differentiate between a good Christian and a not-so-good Christian?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ipigsooie

Look in the dictionary. Youll see a picture of Hugh Freeze under "not good christians.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan870 on October 09, 2017, 02:50:08 pm
This is why Long can't be involved in the next hire.  Miles would be Nutt 3.0 and Bielema 2.0.  Arkansas needs a coach that gives us a chance to win based upon scheme.  We need someone to make the hire that recognizes pure coaching talent.  There is a young Petrino, Chip Kelley, or even Gus Malzahn out there, probably serving as a coordinator somewhere. 

If we just try and hire another impressive resume that is going to try and out-muscle other teams we should just get used to getting beat (and may as well keep Bielema). 

Shceme shmeme, still gotta have players and it is very unlikely a young unproven HC is going to come in and get that type of talent.

Why don't you guys just come out and say it, you want someone to sling it around and run the qb read option rpo stuff if you are going to watch 7-5 football every year it might as well be entertaining.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan14

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 02:19:32 pm
We have that coach right now--Dan Enos.  But his playcalling has been limited because of the style of offense Bielema insists that we run.

Which is the same reason LSU fans ran Miles out of town. Kept promising to open up the offense and it never happened.

moses_007

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 09, 2017, 02:51:48 pm
How does one differentiate between a good Christian and a not-so-good Christian?
Only the man upstairs knows that. But that thought has been strongly in my mind for weeks now.

elksnort

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 09, 2017, 02:43:35 pm
Long will not make the hire, EVEN IF he is still here.
This is the best post I have seen, if it turns out to be true.

grayhawg

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 09, 2017, 01:44:35 pm
I'm hearing Kurt Anderson wrote Jeff a letter praising his integrity and has already been hired as head coach. They are currently negotiating the terms of his contract which Jeff promises will keep Kurt "our man" for a very long time.
Shocked!!

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: gchamblee on October 09, 2017, 02:46:09 pm
Attention Arson Detectives, I would like t point you to this confession. We all know Pokee to be a fun loving entertaining poster and would be horrified of such an event, but seeing a guy with his screen name actually get arrested for burning something down would be hilarious :)
I'm on it.

elksnort

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 09, 2017, 02:51:48 pm
I am not sure if he is serious, so I just left his response alone.

Oh my, many fallacies is his response.

RT1941

What does a man's Christianity have to do with fielding a successful college football team? 
RazorTusk!!!!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: elksnort on October 09, 2017, 03:04:24 pm
I am not sure if he is serious, so I just left his response alone.

Oh my, many fallacies is his response.
Well Hugh Freeze would be a good example for one side(poster boy)
Billy Graham would be the poster boy for the good guys :)
Meant to quote post 105. srry

Smokehouse

I'd rather have a younger hire because I think it's clear that the older re-tread coaches, no matter how good they are, tend to never do as well again, with a few exceptions that prove the rule. I doubt Miles would be invested enough at a new school at this point to really put in the work needed.

But Miles gets discounted more than he should be most. LSU record may be propped up by recruiting classes, but he did well at OSU too and has a winning bowl record with one BCS title. Most people thought LSU was going to be unstoppable moving from Miles to Coach O and look at what's happened. Should have been obvious based on their records going into the switch but people get caught up in the narrative. If he came in fired up to embarrass LSU over his firing, who knows. Maybe his relationships with LA coaches finally start funneling some more of the top LA talent up here.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Seebs

Yeah - get a younger guy and sign him to a nice big buyout so we don;t lose him. It seems like a great strategy for retaining quality coaches.

Seriously though, some talented young blood would be nice.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Seebs on October 09, 2017, 03:19:33 pm
Yeah - get a younger guy and sign him to a nice big buyout so we don;t lose him. It seems like a great strategy for retaining quality coaches.

Seriously though, some talented young blood would be nice.
Actually in todays climate its the very smart move. There are so many big schools we would be competing with for a bigger name(which means absolutely nothing). Tenn.UCLA,and maybe,Fla., LSU, A$M, could all be looking this year or next.The next heavy hitter is out there looking for a chance Brohm,Venerables.....

I was agreeing to the young talented part.

3kgthog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 09, 2017, 01:11:16 pm
Funny that people on hogville say heck no to a coach that was 114-34.

With NFL talent all over the field.

You think our offense sputters now...

hogsanity

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 09, 2017, 03:30:39 pm
With NFL talent all over the field.

You think our offense sputters now...

Some are finally coming around to the talent issue. They think a guy that went 114-34 with a BCS title could not win here because he would not have the talent. I agree, and have been saying that for a long time. This program is NEVER going to have enough talent to do more than very occasionally make a run at the secw.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jabberjawls

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 03:33:57 pm
Some are finally coming around to the talent issue. They think a guy that went 114-34 with a BCS title could not win here because he would not have the talent. I agree, and have been saying that for a long time. This program is NEVER going to have enough talent to do more than very occasionally make a run at the secw.
A great coach can make up for talent deficiencies. Schemes can make up for talent deficiencies. Great talent can make up for coaching deficiencies. You see it all around the NCAA.  We have none of the above.  With Miles, we would still have none of the above.  I can't imagine this Miles talk is serious.  If it is, I quit.

hogsanity

Quote from: jabberjawls on October 09, 2017, 03:39:15 pm
A great coach can make up for talent deficiencies. Schemes can make up for talent deficiencies. Great talent can make up for coaching deficiencies. You see it all around the NCAA.  We have none of the above.  With Miles, we would still have none of the above.  I can't imagine this Miles talk is serious.  If it is, I quit.

Show me a team that is winning any of the divisions on the p5 leagues with inferior talent simply by out scheming people.

elviscat

Terrible mistake! He only knows how to chew grass and he would die on the astroturf. He is done far as coaching. This sounds like something JF would cook up. JL, doesn't need to be involved in hiring a new coach. His picks have been lousy.

Calvin Swine

No no and NOOOO on Les.  There's no need to try to bring in a retread to do a sub-par job at a more difficult school to win at.  Danny Ford anybody?

Forget about big names coming here.  They won't.  Why go where it's harder when you can cherry pick a better job.  So forget Chip Kelly, Gruden, Stoops, Cowher, Madden, Bear Bryant or any other ridiculousness. Our football program is only a half step above Kentucky right now (and that may be stretching it).  The Peterson, Patterson and Gundy ships have also all sailed.

So what's reasonable, in the light of a 15 million buyout paid over the next several years?
-Memphis Coach Mike Norvell.  He's knows and can recruit the area and Memphis has only had one loss so far this season at the hands of UCF.  They hung 70 on UCONN this weekend and beat UCLA.  The downside is I see TN snatching him up.
-SMU Coach Chad Morris.  SMU is sitting on 4-2 with losses to TCU and Houston.  Anyone doing halfway well at SMU deserves a look.  He knows, has ties in, and recruits Texas.  Since we've not focused our efforts there our program has been in decline.     

I'd like to see other reasonable names discussed.

hogsanity

Quote from: Calvin Swine on October 09, 2017, 03:42:16 pm

-Memphis Coach Mike Norvell.  He's knows and can recruit the area and Memphis has only had one loss so far this season at the hands of UCF.  They hung 70 on UCONN this weekend and beat UCLA.  The downside is I see TN snatching him up.

You are one of the guys I was talking about. You go look to see who scored the most points and think that guy must be great. He went 8-5 last year with a team Fuentes built. Yea they beat UCLA this year and then turned around and got boot stomped by UCF. By your logic you should want the UCF guy because he figured out how to be Norvell.

roothawg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :puke:

jabberjawls

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 03:41:47 pm
Show me a team that is winning any of the divisions on the p5 leagues with inferior talent simply by out scheming people.
I have to believe that you are either trolling or related to Miles.  But since you asked, how about:  Penn State, Washington, TCU, Wisconsin, Washington State, Oklahoma State, VT, South Florida, San Diego State, NC State, UCF, Stanford.  Is that enough?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 02:45:19 pm
What is win consistently enough here? How many wins is that? IF it is consistently more than 8 I will give you the guys name Know Bod E.
Since this subject comes up often, I put a lot of thought last winter (for hoops also) into 'reasonable and fair' goals for this program, so now I just cut and paste into threads like this:

The reasonable and fair goals for this program are:
1)By year three, a coach should have his system and players in place and be in a mid-tier or higher bowl. Hopefully sooner, but no later than that. Mid-tier defined as the SEC definition of the 'Pool of Six' bowls and include the upper tier(Rose, Cotton, Sugar, etc) 
2)After Year Three, the minimum expectation, or floor, to the program should be a 7-9 win season and mid-tier or higher bowl. This acknowledges the severity of competition of SEC football overall, and the SEC West in particular(otherwise known as the 'NFL West' by some).
3)Beyond Year 3 for a coach, a coach should average 7-9 wins per season, which allows for a dip or spike here or there.
4)Beyond Year 3 for a coach, a coach should have a minimum of a 10+ win season at least once. If after 10 years a coach has not had at least one 'spike' like that, it might be time to consider changing coaches, as it demonstrates consistency but no upside and/or no ability to capitalize on opportunities.
5)Beyond Year 3:
    Without Saban at Alabama, a minimum of one SEC West title in 10 years
    With Saban at Alabama, a minimum of zero SEC West title in 10 years
6)Beyond Year 3:
    Without Saban, a minimum of one SEC title in 20 years
    With Saban, a minimum of zero titles in 20 years
7)And yes, since it's been done before, it's not unrealistic to hope and/or expect a coach to deliver a national title once every 50 years

Potosihog

All I can say to this thread is it is a good thing this Moses wasn't leading Israel out of the desert.  It would have taken 120 years instead of 40.  #clueless

HognitiveDissonance

So reading those reasonable goals above, the guys who have not met those goals in the SEC era are Ford and Bielema(so far)
The guys who have met those goals have been Nutt and Petrino.
Crowe and Kines weren't here long enough to count.

Calvin Swine

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 03:45:35 pm
You are one of the guys I was talking about. You go look to see who scored the most points and think that guy must be great. He went 8-5 last year with a team Fuentes built. Yea they beat UCLA this year and then turned around and got boot stomped by UCF. By your logic you should want the UCF guy because he figured out how to be Norvell.

Incorrect.  I simply illustrate it to show he knows offense.  I'd hang my hat on that UCLA win over the 70 points.  Anyone we look at will have wins and losses because of the situation where they coach at.  Memphis is no powerhouse and hasn't been. UCF still has all that Florida talent.  I also expect Memphis to lose to Navy this week due to what Navy runs, but I think you have to be objective enough to evaluate a coach based on where he is at.  Penn State did that with Franklin.  Franklin had some bad losses and did well to get Vandy to bowl games.  Penn State is currently 5-0 and ranked #3 according to ESPN.

If you're looking to hire a coach that doesn't have hick-ups based on where he is then you might as well be saying, hire Nick Saban.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: AP85 on October 09, 2017, 01:20:06 pm
It will be Paul Rhoades.

If Jeff Long is making the hire, the following may be the list.

Skip Holtz
Jim Grobe
Paul Rhoads
Rick Stockstill

HF#1

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 09, 2017, 04:00:20 pm
If Jeff Long is making the hire, the following may be the list.

Skip Holtz
Jim Grobe
Paul Rhoads
Rick Stockstill

Skip would be an interesting hire.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 03:45:35 pm

The UCF guy, Scott Frost, would be an excellent hire.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 09, 2017, 05:49:15 pm
The UCF guy, Scott Frost, would be an excellent hire.

Maybe so but just like Norvell he hasn't been a head coach very long. Either might do great but that little of head coach experience is a concern to some.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

texas tush hog

Bielema was 68-24 with three trips to the Rose Bowl immediately prior to taking the Arkansas job.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 09, 2017, 05:51:18 pm
Maybe so but just like Norvell he hasn't been a head coach very long. Either might do great but that little of head coach experience is a concern to some.
Gus was a head coach for 1 year. Sometimes guys are just made to be a head coach.

rhames

You don't fire a coach to hire a coach who just got fired.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

doc53

Les would not have the talent at Arkansas that he did at LSU. Les could not develop a qb nor hire the people to develop a qb nor recruit a qb who could complete high percentage of passes. Les was a lineman.....see how many sucessful current coaches in today's style football were linemen..check the top ten teams. LSU was dying from within at the end of Les's term.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

doc53

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 pm
I believe it's already a done deal, as soon as Jeff Long decides to give Bielema his walking papers.

I realize many on here don't like Miles, but look at the man's record at LSU.  114-34 in 12 seasons, no season less than 8 wins, one national championship.  Remember, Les went up and met with Jeff Long before Bielema was hired... and everyone blew it off as just a friendly visit.  I believe Les wanted the Arkansas job then, and he'd for certain take it now.

Jeff Long wants a coach that has winning experience in the SEC.  No other coach but Les Miles fits that criteria.
Well, I say we don't let Jeff Long make the next hire whenever it is.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

rhames

Quote from: doc53 on October 09, 2017, 06:13:38 pm
Well, I say we don't let Jeff Long make the next hire whenever it is.

Well he is going to unless he leaves on his own.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

JOKERHOG

Les is an older, more stubborn version of what is already not working here.  In facr, I think Bret may be Les' illegitimate child.  They have a lot of similarities.  No thanks, any up and comer will do better than LM.
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Roaringboar

I believe it's already a done deal, as soon as Jeff Long decides to give Bielema his walking papers.

I realize many on here don't like Miles, but look at the man's record at LSU.  114-34 in 12 seasons, no season less than 8 wins, one national championship.  Remember, Les went up and met with Jeff Long before Bielema was hired... and everyone blew it off as just a friendly visit.  I believe Les wanted the Arkansas job then, and he'd for certain take it now.

Jeff Long wants a coach that has winning experience in the SEC.  No other coach but Les Miles fits that criteria.

Doesn't matter how many stats you throw out there, all anyone on this forum will do is bash Miles.......too much resentment against a guy who built an amazing LSU program......in their minds his 10 years of success was all due to Nick Saban barely being there five years, despite Saban having a rough last year at LSU, and Miles still taking those players to a Natty a few years later.......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Roaringboar

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 09, 2017, 06:25:54 pm
Les is an older, more stubborn version of what is already not working here.  In facr, I think Bret may be Les' illegitimate child.  They have a lot of similarities.  No thanks, any up and comer will do better than LM.

Get some new material........this one's getting old...... :puke:

Hogwild

Quote from: rhames on October 09, 2017, 06:06:17 pm
You don't fire a coach to hire a coach who just got fired.

seemed to have worked for Miami

rhames

Roaringboar

Quote from: HF#1 on October 09, 2017, 04:10:56 pm
Skip would be an interesting hire.

Why would Skip be interesting......Sure Lou was a good coach at Arkansas, but his kid hasn't really done anything that impressive.....He's struggling to win with La Tech in Conference USA.......that doesn't indicate a coach who's able to take lower-recruited players and turn them into all stars.......

JOKERHOG

Les was doing unchristian things with another assistant's wife at Michigan. 
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Hogwild

It's happening