Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fix three things and we're off to the races.

Started by JIHawg, September 15, 2017, 11:02:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

1.  New kicker-making those field goals would have changed things.

2.  Left tackle

3.  Get receivers open.  The quarterback needs somebody to throw to.

We have not talked enough about the improvement of the defense.  They held them to 14 points for three quarters.  The quarterback didn't run wild on us.  They got turnovers.  They didn't give up big plays that has killed us in the past.

Two weeks should be ample time to fix these three things.  If they're not fixed, then I'll probably dampen the sunshine with a lot more of you.

Peter Porker

I'd love to see CJ O'Grady out wide instead of Stewart. O'Grady could be a match-up nightmare and I believe he'd be better at blocking. You could do a lot with him in motion, in the backfield, etc.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Sed76

They have had the whole off season and 2 games to fix these things. Doubt seriously it's going to get fixed in 2 weeks. How many times over the last few years have we heard that things are correctable only to see the same stuff happen week after week. If things can be fixed then fix them, doesn't seem to happen under Bielema's watch.

IronHog

1.  Score TDs

2.  LTs don't grow on trees

3.  There were people to throw to last week
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on September 15, 2017, 11:25:01 am
I'd love to see CJ O'Grady out wide instead of Stewart. O'Grady could be a match-up nightmare and I believe he'd be better at blocking. You could do a lot with him in motion, in the backfield, etc.

O'Grady looks freaking good.....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: JIHawg on September 15, 2017, 11:02:25 am

2.  Left tackle

We have not talked enough about the improvement of the defense.  They held them to 14 points for three quarters.  The quarterback didn't run wild on us.  They got turnovers.  They didn't give up big plays that has killed us in the past.

Two weeks should be ample time to fix these three things.  If they're not fixed, then I'll probably dampen the sunshine with a lot more of you.

Sounds as simple as 1,2,3.   Easy fix... in a few practices?      But it's not.    Team has many, many problems.  We got our arse whipped by TCU, plain and simple.   Overall level of talent is a good place to start. 

navyhog24

1. New AD
2. New Head Coach
3. Nick Saban retiring

nwahogfan1

2.  Left tackle

So we replace the LT and now we can run the ball.  I am not sure it is that easy.   WRs getting open is another thing I do not understand.  Why are they not getting open?  Untalented or not coach able  or just too young? 

I think for us to be a good team we must get more pressure on QBs with a pass rush.  Our LBs and DL has to make more stops closer to the LOS and not after a 5+ gain.  We must get more negative plays and some TOs.  That is the Defeinse.

On Offense we must be balanced.  So to do that we must get a running game and a Passing game.  I did not see much this pass weekend from either.  Below average performance to me playing against a Big 8 defense that most on here says is a conference that doesn't play defense.

We are a work in progress. Right now I must see a lot more out of this group before I would say we will win 2 SEC games. 

We play A&M after a bye week and then play a MUCH improved NM State.    I would have a hard time right now predicting we will win either one of these games. 

tbhogfan

Someone who can recruit offensive linemen well enough that we don't have to start true freshman gray shirts.
Someone who can recruit a place kicker.  New Mexico has one they trust from 53 yards in.
Go Hogs!

Ragnar Hogbrok

I honestly opened this thread expecting to find this list:

1.  Offense
2.  Defense
3.  Special teams
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hogcard1964

1) Fire head coach
2) Fire head coach
3) Fire head coach

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The Chief on September 15, 2017, 02:32:35 pm

1.  Offense
2.  Defense
3.  Special teams

I agree with you.  Lots of areas we need to improve on before we can even think of winning 3 or 4 SEC games.

Al Boarland

Give the D some credit, but TCU left a lot of points on the field.

31to6

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2017, 02:12:06 pm
Throw to the right TE!!!!!!!
FIFY.

Not sure why we threw it to a blocking TE when the game is on the line. Kid is a fine player, but "redzone matchup nightmare" is not on his resume.

We probably have 3-4 guys who are better targets in the back of the EZ.

SavoySeamster

2.  Left tackle

Add in the mix figuring out how to score at least a point in the second half. Until we can score points in the second half against teams that matter, it's going to be a long season.
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."

RazorPiggie

Quote from: IronHog on September 15, 2017, 11:30:39 am
1.  Score TDs

2.  LTs don't grow on trees

3.  There were people to throw to last week

#3 - Not many.

East Clintwood

1 offense

2 defense

3 special teams

Fix those and we're ok.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hog-Corleone

How about these three:

1:  Use the off-season to prepare for the regular season.  (we should not be having to fix major issues from film after game two.)
2:  Let's make adjustments during the game, and at halftime. 
3:  Let's pay attention DURING the game, and realize which RB, which WR, which TE, is having the better game, and make sure we utilize them properly.

When we have a bad game, I have never seen a HC say "we need to look at the film and see what we can do better".  He should have a feel for what is going right, and what isn't during the game, and he should also be talking to the Coordinators and letting them know what he thinks, during the game.  I, honestly, have not seen a HC so lost immediately after bad games as this one. 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 15, 2017, 04:51:08 pm
How about these three:

1:  Use the off-season to prepare for the regular season.  (we should not be having to fix major issues from film after game two.)
3:  Let's pay attention DURING the game, and realize which RB, which WR, which TE, is having the better game, and make sure we utilize them properly.

When we have a bad game, I have never seen a HC say "we need to look at the film and see what we can do better".  He should have a feel for what is going right, and what isn't during the game, and he should also be talking to the Coordinators and letting them know what he thinks, during the game.  I, honestly, have not seen a HC so lost immediately after bad games as this one. 

Quite obvious.  Bret just doesn't seem to be "into it" here anymore.   

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Chief on September 15, 2017, 02:32:35 pm

1.  Offense
2.  Defense
3.  Special teams
+1
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogsonHicks

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 15, 2017, 07:03:37 pm
Quite obvious.  Bret just doesn't seem to be "into it" here anymore.
Yeah, there is something not quite up to snuff with the coach.

lakecityhog

I honestly think that we can do 2 or 3 things and "fix" this team pretty quickly.
1. Quit playing mind games with the players. aka Wallace
2. Quit showing ANY favoritism. aka Ragnow and JCorn sitting out tons of practices
   (Ragnow needed to work as much as possible with the rest of the #1 O'Line---cohesion??)
3. Formulate game plans based on what you anticipate the opponent doing against US not based on what we "want" to do.

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

PorkSoda

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 15, 2017, 08:11:40 pm
3. Formulate game plans based on what you anticipate the opponent doing against US not based on what we "want" to do.
for fricks sake, if we just do this, it would solve most of the problem.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hoggish1

EastexHawg

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 15, 2017, 02:19:54 pm
1. New AD
2. New Head Coach
3. Nick Saban retiring

Yep
Yep
Yep, but even if he doesn't #1 and #2 would be a good start, and in that order.

GoHogs1091

Need to fix the Left Tackle position, and need to move Gibson back to Right Guard.  The Florida Gators can attest to Gibson's ability at the Right Guard position.

Need to get more disruptive on the Defensive Line.  When TCU can effectively run the ball on your DL, then that means Alabama, LSU, and Auburn are going to have not much of a problem running the ball against our DL.

Special Teams needs a complete overhaul (the return game and the field goal kicking are atrocious).  Probably are some high schools who have better Special Teams play.

Nipsey Mussle

2.  Left tackle

1.  Did we land a better kicker since Saturday? Also, while those missed kicks were extremely frustrating, they wouldn't have actually changed much. And don't give me any nonsense about momentum. Fact is, TCU had numerous unforced errors which kept them from being ahead more, and best case scenario the 2 fg's would have given us a 14-13 loss.

2. Not going to happen during this season, let alone within two weeks

3. See #2

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

DemiHOG

We have good tight ends, why not use 2 or 3 as wide outs at times, couldn't hurt and maybe height advantage would help

lasthog

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 15, 2017, 04:51:08 pm
How about these three:

presidenthog

This coaching staff has proven that we will improve in one area and then regress in another. No way we can fix 3 Things. We can only fix 1 without losing part of another.

Tusks

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 15, 2017, 02:19:54 pm
1. New AD
2. New Head Coach
3. Nick Saban retiring

1. New AD
2. New HC
3. Get 1 & 2 and push Nick to retiring.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogatheart

All three of these are spot on. As Razorback fans it seems we were sold a bill of goods about a team that has more speed at receiver, and a much improved O-line. This is the reason for my disappointment in general. TCU was a good team, but they were beatable. We made TCU look unbeatable. I don't think the D was terrible, but for some reason we don't threaten ANY qb EVER! WHY!!  I don't think the items listed are fixable this year so the only hope is that MAYBE we saw misscomunication all over the field, ESPECIALLY at receiver. I'm hoping we see a true picture of what we have against aTm with AA making a much better showing. It would be something WE as HOG FANS can build on. Maybe we give a Mulligan for TCU and see the rest of the seasons potential. I'm looking to see if the same issues come up again aTM. Go HOGS!! WPS!!

Biggus Piggus

1. Coaching.
2. Recruiting.
3. Gameday experience.
[CENSORED]!

redneckfriend

2.  Left tackle

I agree those are problems but a bigger problem seems to be Austin Allen who doesn't seem able to step up. I kind of think Bielema and Enos have been blind sided by how bad he is when he doesn't have the comfort blanket of Morgan and Hatcher. They should have known and they should have emphasized the qb, wr interaction in the spring, summer and fall but they seemed to be hoping for the best. When you do that and nothing else you usually get what you deserve.