Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We whiffed on Crockett

Started by jpsand, September 02, 2017, 03:47:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsand

He is quick hard hitting and a real threat to go all the way.

GoHogs1091

It will be interesting to see how Carlos Blackman does against Kansas State this evening.

He is another one who might of should have received an offer from the Hogs.

Of course, he might not do well against Kansas State, but he does have the tangibles that successful RBs have.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jpsand on September 02, 2017, 03:47:51 pm

Please tell me more coach.   This subject has never been discussed and proved idiotic in the past

CFB_Fanatic

Agree. Definitely could've used him this year.

That said, RB is about the only position on the field I'm confident in. We are fine there (barring major injuries).

HogHomer

okay which running back would you give up? All of our RBs have a higher ceiling than Crockett does other than maybe David Williams, who is only taking a scholarship for a year.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: HogHomer on September 02, 2017, 03:59:03 pm
okay which running back would you give up? All of our RBs have a higher ceiling than Crockett does other than maybe David Williams, who is only taking a scholarship for a year.

Agree. You can't get them all.

jpsand

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 02, 2017, 03:57:34 pm
Please tell me more coach.   This subject has never been discussed and proved idiotic in the past
Do what?  I can't lament our misses?

hawganatic

Quote from: jpsand on September 02, 2017, 04:04:43 pm

So a player having a good game against a FCS school equates to a "miss" now? 

Missouri was the only SEC offer that Crockett received.  Did every other school in the conference whiff also?

HamSammich

Quote from: hawganatic on September 02, 2017, 04:08:41 pm

Missouri was the only SEC offer that Crockett received.  Did every other school in the conference whiff also?
That case could be made.

Biggus Piggus

They had their reasons for not offering Crockett, none of them talent-related. But it will be hard playing against him. He is the kind of back we have trouble with.
[CENSORED]!

HogHomer

Quote from: HamSammich on September 02, 2017, 04:15:15 pm
That case could be made.
So with that logic everyone else missed out on Clary.

HamSammich

Quote from: HogHomer on September 02, 2017, 04:17:36 pm
So with that logic everyone else missed out on Clary.

No I'm using the logic that there is a chance that Crocket would have a chance at starting for every team in the SEC minus one. I'm saying the case could be made that the conference whiffed on him.

I don't have a dog in what ever crap throwing contest you people have going. I am just saying a case could be made.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Crockett had/has some off field issues.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Quote from: hawganatic on September 02, 2017, 04:08:41 pm

He rushed for over 1000 yards as a freshman. So maybe your point makes no sense.

azhog10

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 02, 2017, 04:17:22 pm
They had their reasons for not offering Crockett, none of them talent-related. But it will be hard playing against him. He is the kind of back we have trouble with.
Whatever their reasons it's gonna bite them in the butt.

hogcam

Who cares? Running back is not an issue

Bubba's Bruisers

Given who we have at RB, it's hard to find too much fault with passing on a RB who supposedly has off the field issues.  I don't see a legitimate bitch here.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

HamSammich

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 02, 2017, 04:40:31 pm
Best Arkansas RB since D-Mac?

A case could be made for that deangelo guy. Has had a great career in the NFL.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: HamSammich on September 02, 2017, 04:41:43 pm
A case could be made for that deangelo guy. Has had a great career in the NFL.
I think he came out before D-Dawg.

31to6

If Crocket is that awesome then maybe they need to line him up on defense too.

HamSammich

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 02, 2017, 04:43:12 pm
I think he came out before D-Dawg.

Man I can't remember ... they are near the same ago though I think.

ricepig

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: 31to6 on September 02, 2017, 04:43:58 pm
If Crocket is that awesome then maybe they need to line him up on defense too.

No one is saying he's a Heisman candidate but he does look like one of the very top RB's in the SEC.  The kid is a beast.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ricepig on September 02, 2017, 04:44:32 pm
Better than the guy that went to La Tech?
IMO yes.  His career is young but he looks legit.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HamSammich on September 02, 2017, 04:44:10 pm
Man I can't remember ... they are near the same ago though I think.

Dmac came after Deangelo.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on September 02, 2017, 04:44:32 pm
Better than the guy that went to La Tech?

Kenneth Dixon was a big miss by Petrino but we got JWill that same class.  Should have offered Dixon instead of Roberts.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HamSammich

There is just one thing more I'd like to add... missouris offense is completely different than ours and much of the SEC. Their blocking scheme is a lot different. The holes open up at different timing and in a lot of diagonal ways. We might have whiffed on not taking this kid or not...

I don't know. But I do know success for a RB in that sort of offense may not translate to another.

So we have 4 great rbs imo. So this makes it a non issue for me.

longpig

I'll agree a little when he makes it through a season without police related drama.  Coach B builds good chemistry, Mizzou takes whatever it can get.
Don't be scared, be smart.

The real Hogules

Quote from: jpsand on September 02, 2017, 04:04:43 pm

Crockett, while a very good back is not now, nor has he ever been a "miss" for the UofA.
If we look at the year Crockett came out of HS we signed Whaley and T.J. Hammonds, not to mention we were hot and heavy after Devin White, out of Louisiana.
Now, out of those two that we signed and the one that we chased until the very end, which one would you have traded for Crockett?
You just can't sign them all!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Andrew Hogfan

We didn't whiff.  He wasn't offered for a reason.
WPS!!!

theFlyingHog

With the horses we have at RB I feel comfortable laughing at any suggestion that we missed out on on a RB

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 02, 2017, 05:07:24 pm
With the horses we have at RB I feel comfortable laughing at any suggestion that we missed out on on a RB
Had we got Crockett, we wouldn't have had to get the transfer from SCar when RWIII retired. BUT, ifs ands and buts...

Imagine Whaley, Crockett, Hammonds, and Hayden on the same depth chart. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HamSammich on September 02, 2017, 04:57:05 pm
There is just one thing more I'd like to add... missouris offense is completely different than ours and much of the SEC. Their blocking scheme is a lot different. The holes open up at different timing and in a lot of diagonal ways. We might have whiffed on not taking this kid or not...

I don't know. But I do know success for a RB in that sort of offense may not translate to another.

So we have 4 great rbs imo. So this makes it a non issue for me.

You bring up an interesting point that should be considered.  Crockett does well in Missouri's offensive system, but there is no guarantee that he would do just as well in the Hogs' more physical style of an offense.

The same could be said of Kenneth Dixon.  Dixon might of done well in Robert Petrino's garbage finesse offense, but he might of struggled with our more physical offense under Bielema.

I mentioned Carlos Blackman earlier in this thread, and he is the one that could have flourished in the Hogs' physical offense under Bielema.  Blackman dwarfs Crockett.  Blackman is 6'1" 240 lbs.  Crockett is 5'11" 225 lbs.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 02, 2017, 05:19:09 pm
Had we got Crockett, we wouldn't have had to get the transfer from SCar when RWIII retired. BUT, ifs ands and buts...

Imagine Whaley, Crockett, Hammonds, and Hayden on the same depth chart. 

Hindsight is always 20/20.  The Crockett thing is just an unfair criticism of BB.

Potosihog

I would have benched him for the rest of the game after the dives into the end zone.  That kind of decision making will cost them a game sooner or later.

TheRazorback500

Our 3 > Crockett. We'll be fresh in the fourth quarter. And, if DC goes down, Mizzou goes one-dimensional.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

LZH

I knew Rocket Crockett, any relation?

sickboy

We didn't whiff because we have a stable of running backs. You can't really whiff when you've got depth. I guess you can, but it just doesn't really matter. Even if Crocket was here, he wouldn't be getting the number of carries he's getting at Mizzou. He wouldn't be starting over Whaley.

And Crockett's a good back, but Whaley and Haden could have both run for 200 against that defense.

The Kig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 02, 2017, 04:40:31 pm
Best Arkansas RB since D-Mac?

Seems a tad premature... Literally one of the best RBs over a career in the entire history of the SEC vs. a kid who's got 1 year, albeit a decent year.  Not saying he's a slouch or that I want to see us not get quality in-state kids, but comparing him to DMAC is preposterous.
Poker Porker

Deep Shoat

More like we caught a whiff of the stuff he was smoking and steered away from Crockett.
All Gas, No Brakes!

31to6

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 02, 2017, 04:45:05 pm
No one is saying he's a Heisman candidate but he does look like one of the very top RB's in the SEC.  The kid is a beast.
Sure. He's a good player.

But I am getting really sick of seeing this thread and the implied slam on the coaching staff *every* time he has a good game.

HamSammich

Quote from: 31to6 on September 02, 2017, 05:58:04 pm
Sure. He's a good player.

But I am getting really sick of seeing this thread and the implied slam on the coaching staff *every* time he has a good game.

I think some people are too sensitive.

I never thought this thread was slamming anyone.

Hindsight is 20/20. Grow a pair

HogHomer

Quote from: HamSammich on September 02, 2017, 06:02:25 pm

When you start a thread saying we whiffed on a player at a position we have arguably better talent at it reeks of a shot at the staff.

31to6

Quote from: HamSammich on September 02, 2017, 06:02:25 pm

Bite me.

LZH

HamSammich

Quote from: HogHomer on September 02, 2017, 06:26:57 pm
When you start a thread saying we whiffed on a player at a position we have arguably better talent at it reeks of a shot at the staff.

Only if you are overly defensive. Hell you could say 115 schools whiffed on crockett.... hindsight is 20/20.

No one blames CBB at all. At least not that I can see.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: The Kig on September 02, 2017, 05:41:32 pm
Seems a tad premature... Literally one of the best RBs over a career in the entire history of the SEC vs. a kid who's got 1 year, albeit a decent year.  Not saying he's a slouch or that I want to see us not get quality in-state kids, but comparing him to DMAC is preposterous.
Read that post again.  Didn't compare him to anyone. I said he was the best Arakansas RB to come out of the state since D-Mac. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Oh good...something we haven't discussed yet...

I know this...I would 100% rather have Whaley and Hammonds. And that's the end of the discussion for me on "did we whif on Crockett?".
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?