Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I uinderstand some teams located in big recruiting zones

Started by nwahogfan1, August 22, 2017, 09:04:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Porker

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 11:50:47 am
I dont know, there are those here who tell us all you gotta do is hire the right coach and the players AND fans just have to want it. Maybe they are right, if a team has a 5'9" 130lb corner back that runs a 5.1 if he wants it bad enough he can cover a 6'3" 210 lb wr that runs a 4.4.

Don't forget you can get the right coach and a dual threat QB and all our problems are gone. We will never lose another game. well, just as long as the backup gets "quality time" and the players put on "good weight".
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 22, 2017, 11:34:00 am
Here's a heat map of every top-15 recruit's hometown, from 2000 to 2017, using consensus rankings from the 247Sports Composite. This comes, initially, from our collection of 25 maps that explain college football.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/23/12607342/recruits-states-rankings
Great post!

Just goes to show, yet again, that proximity to talent = better recruiting. The OP and several others in this thread won't ever see it but then again, it's hard to see anything through constant tears.

hogsanity

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on August 23, 2017, 07:00:25 pm
Great post!

Just goes to show, yet again, that proximity to talent = better recruiting. The OP and several others in this thread won't ever see it but then again, it's hard to see anything through constant tears.

They see it, they just do not want to acknowledge the fact that the most important thing to a college football program, is one problem the Hogs really can't fix.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 09:17:41 am
They see it, they just do not want to acknowledge the fact that the most important thing to a college football program, is one problem the Hogs really can't fix.

It has apparently been "fixed" at times in the past.  Why do people keep arguing that something can't be done when it has already been done?  Do they think everyone else forgot or that they can't at least use a search engine?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 24, 2017, 09:39:34 am
It has apparently been "fixed" at times in the past.  Why do people keep arguing that something can't be done when it has already been done?  Do they think everyone else forgot or that they can't at least use a search engine?
it hasn't been "fixed" since the fricking early 80's.  If then.  This isn't your grandpa's college football.  Players stay within 250-300 miles of where they were raised, by and large.  Arkansas will NEVER be a consistent top 10 recruiting school. 

No matter how many times you say the same dumb crap.
All Gas, No Brakes!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 22, 2017, 11:34:00 am

How the hell was Nebraska ever good? They are in no man's land out there.

Also, Washington made the playoffs last year and their recruiting situation is worse than ours.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 24, 2017, 09:39:34 am

Fixed would be having the talented DEPTH to get to a 10 + win level and stay there. What the hogs have ALWAYS had is a 7 win program that, when things line up just right, rises up to win 9 or 10+ for a year or 2 then goes back down.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 24, 2017, 11:06:02 am

Also, Washington made the playoffs last year and their recruiting situation is worse than ours.

Nebraska used to exploit a loophole in the scholarship rules that allowed them to put players on AG scholarships. That's why they always seemed to have sr lines. Once that loophole was closed, NEB started to decline.

Washington recruits northern Cali alot.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 23, 2017, 01:33:24 pm
An easy way to look at this: Would Nick Saban have the same record here he has had at Bama? If your answer is no, why?

Right but what if you ask:  Would Nick Saban win an SECC at Arkansas?  Isn't that what we want?  Does anybody expect the same record?  Coaches like Saban and Petrino ARE the reason why.  CBB might be but it will only happen if he hires the right assistants, and I will say it looks promising right now.

Something has to get out of the way of the team playing at a high level and completing games. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 11:26:42 am
Nebraska used to exploit a loophole in the scholarship rules that allowed them to put players on AG scholarships. That's why they always seemed to have sr lines. Once that loophole was closed, NEB started to decline.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 11:26:42 am
Washington recruits northern Cali alot.

We are closer to a lot of better hotspots (Dallas, Houston, Louisiana) than Washington is to Cali.

EastexHawg

Until 1973 college programs could offer as many football scholarships as they wanted.  Want to sign 80 per year and have 250 total?  No problem.  Everyone in the country could do it.  Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, everyone.  There was no need to try to bend the rules and put a player on some other kind of scholarship because there were no scholarship rules to bend.

Starting in 1973 the total number of football scholarships was cut to 105.  By that time Nebraska had already won the first two of its five national championships, beating LSU in the 1971 Orange Bowl and absolutely stomping an 11-0 Alabama team in 1972.

We're going to have to come up with another excuse other than "ag scholarships" to explain their success in those seasons.

By the way, the scholarship limit went to 95 in 1978 and 85 in 1992.

RazorPiggie

Don't really like saying this but they made the playoffs because they have a great coach. The state of Washington produces more players than the state of Arkansas. In 2017 15 players inside the state signed with a P5 team, in 2016 19 did, & 17 did in 2015. In that same time span the state of Arkansas produced 10-2017, 12-2016, & 12-2015.

Just think about where we would be if the state could produced another 5 recruits per class that were good enough to sign with P5 teams.

Over the last few years Washington has recruited about the same as us, around the 25-30 range.

Also factor in that Seattle is a major city that has direct flights all over the US. Whereas XNA only has direct flights to 14 destinations. (I'm factoring that in if I'm a parent of a recruit and my child is wanting to go out of state.)

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 24, 2017, 01:49:39 pm
Until 1973 college programs could offer as many football scholarships as they wanted.  Want to sign 80 per year and have 250 total?  No problem.  Everyone in the country could do it.  Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, everyone.  There was no need to try to bend the rules and put a player on some other kind of scholarship because there were no scholarship rules to bend.

Starting in 1973 the total number of football scholarships was cut to 105.  By that time Nebraska had already won the first two of its five national championships, beating LSU in the 1971 Orange Bowl and absolutely stomping an 11-0 Alabama team in 1972.

We're going to have to come up with another excuse other than "ag scholarships" to explain their success in those seasons.

But they could put players on ag scholarship and it did not count against the limit. That whole process has been well documented.

But ok, they won 2 of their nc's in the early 70's, what does that have to do with today's college football?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 22, 2017, 11:42:41 am
Also a 250 mile radius from State College,PA shows a population base of just over 58 million. Whereas 250 mile radius from Fayettevilles population base is only 14.5 million.

http://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

Yes we have way less to draw from.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 24, 2017, 01:49:39 pm

LOL @ '71 and '72

That was almost 50 years ago.  Nebraska ran an I based option offense that would literally be taken apart today.  Football has advanced so far beyond what they were doing it isn't funny.
All Gas, No Brakes!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 24, 2017, 02:21:59 pm
LOL @ '71 and '72

That was almost 50 years ago.  Nebraska ran an I based option offense that would literally be taken apart today.  Football has advanced so far beyond what they were doing it isn't funny.

The Huskers also developed a Walk on program which allowed them to go out side of the state to get better talent and maximized their 105 limit.  If the Hogs had 30-50 non scholarship players who were D -1 talent and stayed home instead of going elsewhere we could be like the Huskers used to be.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Washington recruits very well RELATIVE TO ITS PAC12 COMPETITION.  Why does this keep getting ignored?  Penn St recruits well compared to its B1G competition.  We recruit well compared to most of college football.  But our direct competition - Bama, LSU, A&M and AU - can recruit #1 to 10 classes every year.  No other conference comes even close to this depth in recruiting.  Yet we want to ignore.

The Pac 12 has 1 program who consistently recruits on this level - USC.  USC has been a little down due to the NCAA sanctions.  No coincidence Oregon and now Washington stepped up in the void.  Even in Washington's playoff season last year, they were handled by SC.  The talent difference was obvious. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 24, 2017, 02:26:15 pm
The Huskers also developed a Walk on program which allowed them to go out side of the state to get better talent and maximized their 105 limit.  If the Hogs had 30-50 non scholarship players who were D -1 talent and stayed home instead of going elsewhere we could be like the Huskers used to be.

But their " walk on " program was aided for years by being allowed to put them on ag scholarships. They pretty much awarded one ag scholarship per county, amazingly to the best player in that county, and then they would feed them strengthen them, rs them, and they always had both lines full of 4th and 5th yr players because of that. Then they could go spend their actual football scholarships on players out of state.

EastexHawg

LOL @ '71 and '72

What difference does it make?  They were playing teams from the same period.  Nebraska was still a sparsely populated state in the middle of nowhere.  The state's population was roughly 1.4 million...Arkansas' was 1.9 million.  Alabama's was almost 3.5 million and they had Bear Bryant. 

Are there really that many people on this site and elsewhere who believe everything is simply a matter of demographics, statistics, fate, or some other factor or force and that it doesn't often times simply come down to someone being talented, being good at something...maybe better than almost everyone?  Speaking of the Bear, he won a national championship at Kentucky, ending a long Bud Wilkinson/Oklahoma winning streak in the Sugar Bowl.  Does Kentucky have advantages, or was Bryant simply a great coach who won everywhere he went?

NuttinItUp

LOL @ '71 and '72

When I originally mentioned Nebraska, I was talking about them being good in the mid to late 90s, not the early 70s.

1993: #3
1994: #1
1995: #1
1996: #6
1997: #1
1999: #2
2000: #7
2001: #7

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 24, 2017, 02:40:06 pm
What difference does it make?  They were playing teams from the same period.  Nebraska was still a sparsely populated state in the middle of nowhere.  The state's population was roughly 1.4 million...Arkansas' was 1.9 million.  Alabama's was almost 3.5 million and they had Bear Bryant. 

Are there really that many people on this site and elsewhere who believe everything is simply a matter of demographics, statistics, fate, or some other factor or force and that it doesn't often times simply come down to someone being talented, being good at something...maybe better than almost everyone?  Speaking of the Bear, he won a national championship at Kentucky, ending a long Bud Wilkinson/Oklahoma winning streak in the Sugar Bowl.  Does Kentucky have advantages, or was Bryant simply a great coach who won everywhere he went?

Cornell and Holy Cross once had good teams too, want to go back that far?

oldhawg

LOL @ '71 and '72

Perhaps "changed" is a better word.  Not everyone believes the movement towards flag football is "advanced."

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: oldhawg on August 24, 2017, 03:20:17 pm
Perhaps "changed" is a better word.  Not everyone believes the movement towards flag football is "advanced."

Now a days the goal is getting playmakers in space because you can't tackle them, yes much different than back then.  Not advanced at all just rules.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 24, 2017, 03:24:04 pm
Now a days the goal is getting playmakers in space because you can't tackle them, yes much different than back then.  Not advanced at all just rules.

Really? The rules prohibit tackling? I've got my 2017 rule book right here and I see no rules that prohibit tackling the ball carrier.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 03:38:15 pm
Really? The rules prohibit tackling? I've got my 2017 rule book right here and I see no rules that prohibit tackling the ball carrier.

That's the problem you've got the Bama rule book.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 02:52:27 pm
Cornell and Holy Cross once had good teams too, want to go back that far?

You're a funny guy.  Both of those teams have played basically Ivy League level schedules for the last 75-80 years.  Holy Cross played Syracuse, hardly a national power most of the time, 20 times between 1950 and 1973.  Syracuse beat them 18 out of 20 and in the last 12 meetings Holy Cross averaged a little over 7 points per game, only twice getting out of single digits.  Holy Cross also played Penn State eight times between 1954 and 1962.  They lost all eight games with an average score of 36-7.

Meanwhile, Nebraska was going 9-0 against SEC teams in bowl games between 1971 and 1998, almost all of them major bowls or national championship games against top ten opponents, by a similar type of score...as in 40-15.

So yeah, I definitely see your point.

Who you wanna bring up next, Yale before the turn of the 20th Century?  They were a beast with Walter Camp and Pudge Heffelfinger.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 24, 2017, 04:00:35 pm
You're a funny guy.  Both of those teams have played basically Ivy League level schedules for the last 75-80 years.  Holy Cross played Syracuse, hardly a national power most of the time, 20 times between 1950 and 1973.  Syracuse beat them 18 out of 20 and in the last 12 meetings Holy Cross averaged a little over 7 points per game, only twice getting out of single digits.  Holy Cross also played Penn State eight times between 1954 and 1962.  They lost all eight games with an average score of 36-7.

Meanwhile, Nebraska was going 9-0 against SEC teams in bowl games between 1971 and 1998, almost all of them major bowls or national championship games against top ten opponents, by a similar type of score...as in 40-15.

So yeah, I definitely see your point.

Who you wanna bring up next, Yale before the turn of the 20th Century?  They were a beast with Walter Camp and Pudge Heffelfinger.

My point is we can keep going back in time, but none of that relates to today's college football landscape.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2017, 03:38:15 pm

Tommy Craft?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ErieHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 22, 2017, 10:04:52 am
They've turned it around, and fast after a major scandal that should have crippled them for 10+ years.

We're still floundering from simply bad coaching hires.

They had their penalty essentially vacated, which is a huge help in the speed of the turn around.

And they're one of the premiere teams at getting east coast talent-- really, until Virginia Tech started mining the Maryland to New Jersey corridor, they pretty much got every big time player from Maryland and New Jersey they wanted, which had a ton of talent.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

HiggiePiggy

Biggest thing for any school is coaching first.  Great coach can win you 9 to 11 games a year.  Now a great coach with great talent can win you championships
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 24, 2017, 06:42:10 pm
Biggest thing for any school is coaching first.  Great coach can win you 9 to 11 games a year.  Now a great coach with great talent can win you championships

So all a school has to do is hire a great coach? So All Idaho has to do is hire a great coach and they will win 9-11 games a year? Really?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2017, 08:21:54 am
So all a school has to do is hire a great coach? So All Idaho has to do is hire a great coach and they will win 9-11 games a year? Really?

Idaho plays in the Sun Belt. A great coach should be able to get 9 wins playing against mostly Sun Belt teams.

In fact, they got 9 wins last year, and I wouldn't count their current coach as "great" by any stretch, although his brother is pretty good. :P

Al Boarland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 24, 2017, 06:42:10 pm

What if said great coach is in a league with other great coaches that recruit more talent?  Everyone can't win 9 to 11 games.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 25, 2017, 08:38:56 am
What if said great coach is in a league with other great coaches that recruit more talent?  Everyone can't win 9 to 11 games.

I assume you are referring to the SEC? (or, more specifically, the SEC-West?)

hogsanity

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 25, 2017, 08:29:59 am
Idaho plays in the Sun Belt. A great coach should be able to get 9 wins playing against mostly Sun Belt teams.

In fact, they got 9 wins last year, and I wouldn't count their current coach as "great" by any stretch, although his brother is pretty good. :P

you said a year, meaning every year. lets see if they do so every year.

But okay, lets make it more to the point. Are you saying all Vandy or KY or Tulane or FIU, or any other team in all of fbs has to do is hire a great coach and they will win 9-11 games a year as long as said coach is there?

Al Boarland

August 25, 2017, 08:51:52 am #85 Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:31:49 am by Al Boarland
Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 25, 2017, 08:40:48 am
I assume you are referring to the SEC? (or, more specifically, the SEC-West?)

I'm talking about in the fairy tale world where the guys that line up against your guys aren't bigger, stronger, faster and deeper.  In this world where you convince said great coach to leave a program to come to a place that can't compete on the recruiting trail, so he/she can continue to be a great coach.

Pork Twain

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 09:04:48 am
turning their programs around faster than us but Penn State is not one of them.  They almost had the death penalty thrown at them but here they are now one of the top teams in the country.   Pennsylvania turns out more Football recruits from Arkansas but don't they get most of their recruits from other states.

Come on CBB,  lets really step it up this year.  This is year 5.    Let start really be UNCOMMON.
I agree that this has to be the year for CBB, but the Penn St talk is silly.  They have a huge recruiting population and the have been a very good team in most of our lifetimes.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 22, 2017, 11:22:58 am
Agreed. And we can't say that he can do fine there but would not make it in the SEC since he proved himself at Vandy. Back when we were looking for a coach I said hiring James Franklin would be decision most fans would hate immediately but love in three years.

For real. I remember throwing his name out and people would just say, "He hasn't won any big games!" And I was like, "He's gone bowling back to back years at Vandy, with his last recruiting class within a few spots of ours." I was fine with Bielema, but didn't understand why Franklin wasn't good enough for us. Only problem with Franklin was that he would probably view it as a stepping-stone job, whereas I didn't feel that was going to be the case with Bret. No doubt we'd be recruiting around Top 15 with Franklin here.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2017, 08:44:46 am
you said a year, meaning every year. lets see if they do so every year.

But okay, lets make it more to the point. Are you saying all Vandy or KY or Tulane or FIU, or any other team in all of fbs has to do is hire a great coach and they will win 9-11 games a year as long as said coach is there?

You are responding to the wrong person. I didn't say "a year", that was someone else. (HiggiePiggie to be exact.) I was just responding to the Idaho comment.

I will say that part of being a "great" coach is "great" recruiting. I definitely think a great coach at FIU could get them to 9 wins/year because they play such lousy competition. Same for Tulane. I think Kentucky and Vandy would have a tougher time being in the SEC, but not impossible since they are in the East. (If we are talking about truly great coaches, of which there are only a few.)

hogsanity

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 25, 2017, 09:19:12 am
You are responding to the wrong person. I didn't say "a year", that was someone else. (HiggiePiggie to be exact.) I was just responding to the Idaho comment.

I will say that part of being a "great" coach is "great" recruiting. I definitely think a great coach at FIU could get them to 9 wins/year because they play such lousy competition. Same for Tulane. I think Kentucky and Vandy would have a tougher time being in the SEC, but not impossible since they are in the East. (If we are talking about truly great coaches, of which there are only a few.)

Ok, so a great coach is not all it takes to win 9-11 games each year then, it also takes playing lousy competition.

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 25, 2017, 08:52:27 am
I agree that this has to be the year for CBB, but the Penn St talk is silly.  They have a huge recruiting population and the have been a very good team in most of our lifetimes.

So the Penn state talk is silly because they have a large recruiting base and have been good for most of our lifetimes, but this is the make or break year for a coach with a small recruiting base on a team that has not been more than average for most of our lifetimes?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2017, 09:31:07 am
Ok, so a great coach is not all it takes to win 9-11 games each year then, it also takes playing lousy competition.

Incorrect. Saban is a great coach and they play stellar competition.

oldhawg

Check out Boise State (I'm sure you know the history).  They have done pretty well with good coaches.  Schools like that need very good coaching plus their favorable schedule to be consistently successful, but it can be done.  And the people of Idaho enjoy the Bronco's success.

Another example: Urban Meyer did very well his couple of years at Utah before moving to the big stage.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 25, 2017, 08:51:52 am
I'm talking about in the fairy tale world where the guys that line up against your guys aren't bigger, stronger, faster and deeper.  In this world where you convince said great coach to leave a program to come to a place that can't compete on the recruiting trail, so he/she can continue to be a great coach.

If they were Sumo wrestling all those big guys would almost certainly win, but that's not what we are talking about.  Remember all the talk about us having the biggest offensive line in the world, probably in the galaxy?  How did we ever lose?

If coaching is off so little importance, why pay someone $4-8 million per year to do it?  If your fate is predetermined by location and demographics, couldn't you get the same results for a couple hundred thousand?

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 25, 2017, 10:21:29 am
If they were Sumo wrestling all those big guys would almost certainly win, but that's not what we are talking about.  Remember all the talk about us having the biggest offensive line in the world, probably in the galaxy?  How did we ever lose?

If coaching is off so little importance, why pay someone $4-8 million per year to do it?  If your fate is predetermined by location and demographics, couldn't you get the same results for a couple hundred thousand?

Why do you always go to the extreme? No one said coaching is of little importance, but isnt it amazing that a guy like Saban was not great at MSu, but suddenly figured out how to coach when he got ot LSU with all their talent. Then goes to the nfl and is a bust, bust suddenly remembers how to coach again when he gets to Bama and has 3 teams worth of 3-5 star players within about 300 miles of campus.

Al Boarland

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 25, 2017, 10:21:29 am

The difference is we are typically an "or" team and the guys we finish behind are "and" teams. We can get big or strong or fast, but we don't land enough depth of big and strong and fast. When you can't do that every cycle you end up with teams that have some gap that prevents them from taking it to the next level.

EastexHawg

Isn't it equally amazing that LSU and Alabama, with all their talent and advantages, were piss poor football teams that got coaches fired before Saban arrived?  Juggernaut LSU was 4-7 and 3-8 in the two years before Saban got there in 2000.  Alabama was a combined 22-24 in the four years prior to Saban's arrival in 2007.

Saban took over a Michigan State program that was in shambles and under NCAA sanctions (scholarship reductions) and built them into a 10 win team that beat Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Florida four years later.  But keep knocking him.  It works so well.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 25, 2017, 08:38:56 am

Not very often will that happen.  Usually there is 2 maybe 3 great coaches in a conference.  And yes great coaches are what makes programs
Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2017, 02:20:53 pm
Why do you always go to the extreme? No one said coaching is of little importance, but isnt it amazing that a guy like Saban was not great at MSu, but suddenly figured out how to coach when he got ot LSU with all their talent. Then goes to the nfl and is a bust, bust suddenly remembers how to coach again when he gets to Bama and has 3 teams worth of 3-5 star players within about 300 miles of campus.

You don't know the history of Michigan state before Saban showed up there.  He eventually got them to respectable and then went to LSU.  Not every coach is good for the pros.  The way Saban is and how he has to be in control of everything and have his players fear him is why he is best for college. He can't use fear on his players in the NFL. They would laugh at him and watch him get fired. He is perfect for college. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2017, 09:31:07 am

So the Penn state talk is silly because they have a large recruiting base and have been good for most of our lifetimes, but this is the make or break year for a coach with a small recruiting base on a team that has not been more than average for most of our lifetimes?
Try to include the context of the post I was replying to in your halfass flaming.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LZH

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 24, 2017, 02:02:37 pm
Don't really like saying this but they made the playoffs because they have a great coach. The state of Washington produces more players than the state of Arkansas. In 2017 15 players inside the state signed with a P5 team, in 2016 19 did, & 17 did in 2015. In that same time span the state of Arkansas produced 10-2017, 12-2016, & 12-2015.

Just think about where we would be if the state could produced another 5 recruits per class that were good enough to sign with P5 teams.

Over the last few years Washington has recruited about the same as us, around the 25-30 range.

Also factor in that Seattle is a major city that has direct flights all over the US. Whereas XNA only has direct flights to 14 destinations. (I'm factoring that in if I'm a parent of a recruit and my child is wanting to go out of state.)

Most people seem to forget that if the Little Rock School System and surrounding area's athletic programs didn't implode over the last 30 years those extra 5 - 8 players would be on our roster. That map you posted earlier, maybe the Little Rock area would be a little more orange.

ErieHog

We are closer to a lot of better hotspots (Dallas, Houston, Louisiana) than Washington is to Cali.

Just saw this.  Its worth remembering that the amount of competition for players also matters- there are only 26 college football teams in MST or PST; 47 reside in CST.     Less competition and relative closeness to home vis-a-vis Central US and Eastern US programs also contributes--- they might be twice as far away as Dallas, but still three times nearer than other options would be for that student athlete.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."