Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I wish the SEC Network would honor Broyles . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 14, 2017, 10:20:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

. . . by doing a "SEC Storied" on his career as a player, coach, and AD.  There's certainly 90 to 120 minutes worth of really good material there.

And - I'd like to see them showcase some games we WON.  One game I never see is our 1975 win over A&M in Little Rock.  Why is that?  If ABC had the tapes from 1969 they ought to have them from 1975.

We could also see a replay of the 1971 "Revenge at the Rock" game where Joe Ferguson shot Texas down 31-7 (in the rain).  Maybe they could get a replay of the 1975 (actually, New Years Day of 1976) Cotton Bowl win over Georgia - or, for that matter, the NY Day 1969 win over those Dawgs in the Sugar Bowl?

HamSammich

Do they do production? They might but I guess I've only seen replays and sporting events.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

If Gene Stallings passes away, God forbid, the SEC Network will do all that ^^^^ and then have a melt down.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

247Hog

I went over to espn.com to see if they had anything regarding Coach Broyles on the main page and was extremely disappointed to not see anything even mentioned of it until 2/3 page down. Maybe its me being biased but i thought it would be a bigger story than this.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

razCzar

bellavistamike

MSNBC had the news about Coach Broyles on their crawl at the bottom of the screen at about 8 p.m tonight. Only noticed it once but they thought it important enough news to include it...

hawginbigd1

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: razCzar on August 14, 2017, 11:05:26 pm
SECnetwork tribute to JFB:  amazing 6+minute trip down memory lane:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/frank-broyles/#sm.000012rrzuah8aep7yi3zpihbz63z

Yeah . . . that's the package SEC Now showed this evening.  Good piece, and a good "starter kit" for the SEC Storied I suggested.

To the person who asked if the SEC network does production, that's what the whole SEC Storied series is . . . kind of like their own "30 for 30" series.  That's where the recent "Before they were Cowboys" about Jerry, Jimmy and the 1964 Razorbacks was shown.  Here's a clip from that show:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=before+they+were+cowboys+sec+storied&&view=detail&mid=B69B44B9B43712CC17FFB69B44B9B43712CC17FF&FORM=VRDGAR

Vantage 8 dude

I'd be surprised if we don't see many more tributes in the days ahead. A true icon in Razorback sports; and with the number of players and/or coaches who went on to great things in various sports (especially football) PLUS the Broyles Award he truly made a HUGE imprint on the direction of college athletics. This state owes JFB a MASSIVE debt of gratitude.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: 247Hog on August 14, 2017, 10:55:23 pm
I went over to espn.com to see if they had anything regarding Coach Broyles on the main page and was extremely disappointed to not see anything even mentioned of it until 2/3 page down. Maybe its me being biased but i thought it would be a bigger story than this.

It was on there yesterday afternoon.

EastexHawg

I had such a busy and long day at work, and was so tired when I got home last night, that I didn't realize until this morning when I saw the email from the university in my inbox that Coach Broyles had passed.  I also went straight to ESPN and didn't see anything at or near the top of the page.

I don't know if younger fans know what a true giant he was, especially in the 60s and 70s.  The biggest of the big time coaches were Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Woody Hayes, John McKay, Ara Parseghian, Joe Paterno, later Bo Schembechler...and without a doubt Frank Broyles.  None of those men had the lasting impact on the college football world from an administrative standpoint that Coach Broyles had.  His vision is probably the main reason for the realignment of conferences.  Under Broyles, Arkansas was always front and center in every aspect of college athletics.

Tejano Jawg

I gotta say...I was on the SEC Network quite a bit yesterday. And I thought they did a really good job.

The news of his passing came right as Finebaum was hitting the air (which is why I turned it on). He mentioned it going into, and coming out of, just about every break. Plus, took lots of callers to discuss. I saw a pretty nice piece later in the evening too. They all acted like they knew what a giant he was.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

The SEC Network just re-ran the Broyles piece just now. Followed by the live tape of Paul Finebaum talking to Dari. I also thought they did a really good job. Paul spoke sincerely, respectfully and passionately about Coach Broyles all day.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on August 15, 2017, 10:41:51 am
The SEC Network just re-ran the Broyles piece just now. Followed by the live tape of Paul Finebaum talking to Dari. I also thought they did a really good job. Paul spoke sincerely, respectfully and passionately about Coach Broyles all day.

Yeah - that was fine . . . as far as it went.  But I'd still like to see some classic Broyles-coached games shown one day, as I mentioned in the OP.  I don't know why we never see those games replayed.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 15, 2017, 04:05:13 pm
Yeah - that was fine . . . as far as it went.  But I'd still like to see some classic Broyles-coached games shown one day, as I mentioned in the OP.  I don't know why we never see those games replayed.

All of those games you mentioned were some of my all time favorites, primarily because I was there for all of them.  Sat in the rain until the final gun in 1971 against Texas and loved every second of it. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jfred59

I would think the big issue would be that some of  the games are ABC, some NBC, and some CBS.  I know that KATV had the only surviving tape of the entire broadcast of the 1969 shootout

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jfred59 on August 15, 2017, 06:28:37 pm
I would think the big issue would be that some of  the games are ABC, some NBC, and some CBS.  I know that KATV had the only surviving tape of the entire broadcast of the 1969 shootout

I sure as Hades never want to watch that game again! Even Daryl Royal admitted they held 3 times on that last drive and that Texas Zebra crew stabbed the Hogs in the back!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: jfred59 on August 15, 2017, 06:28:37 pm

Of the 3 games I mentioned in the OP, 2 were on ABC, and AFTER the 1969 shootout, which the video survives from.  Both the 1971 Texas game and the 1975 Aggie game were on ABC.  And the 1976 (New year's Day - end of 1975 season) Cotton Bowl was on CBS.  I know I've seen CBS games replayed on ESPN as classic games.

Another game - which was on NBC - was the 1965 Texas game.  That may be my all time favorite.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that no video exists from that game any more, which is why I did not include it too.  How sad.

sickboy

Quote from: 247Hog on August 14, 2017, 10:55:23 pm

Weird. I learned Broyles had passed because it was one of the headlines on the front page of ESPN. It was there at some point.

daBoar

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 15, 2017, 04:05:13 pm
...But I'd still like to see some classic Broyles-coached games shown one day, as I mentioned in the OP.  I don't know why we never see those games replayed.
That would be on the SWC network, Wiz.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: daBoar on August 16, 2017, 07:41:36 pm
That would be on the SWC network, Wiz.

I get what you're saying . . . but if it is to honor Broyles, that supersedes the conference affiliation at the time.

For that matter, 3 of the 4 games I mentioned are against current/former SEC teams . . . Georgia and A&M.

rickm1976

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 15, 2017, 09:47:17 pm
I sure as Hades never want to watch that game again! Even Daryl Royal admitted they held 3 times on that last drive and that Texas Zebra crew stabbed the Hogs in the back!

I was 13 years old, and watched every play.  I can't understand how any Hog fan who saw the original could stand to watch a replay.  The film should have been burned.  It's been almost 50 years, and it still makes me sick to be reminded of it.

rickm1976

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 14, 2017, 11:33:23 pm
Yeah . . . that's the package SEC Now showed this evening.  Good piece, and a good "starter kit" for the SEC Storied I suggested.

To the person who asked if the SEC network does production, that's what the whole SEC Storied series is . . . kind of like their own "30 for 30" series.  That's where the recent "Before they were Cowboys" about Jerry, Jimmy and the 1964 Razorbacks was shown.  Here's a clip from that show:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=before+they+were+cowboys+sec+storied&&view=detail&mid=B69B44B9B43712CC17FFB69B44B9B43712CC17FF&FORM=VRDGAR

It seemed like a good portion of that show was as much about Frank as it was about Jerry and Jimmy, which was a good thing IMO.

razorbackmarine

There is no known network (LIVE TV BROADCAST) copy of any of the Frank Broyles wins (i.e.,  '75 A&M, '71 Texas, "69 A&M, '69 Sugar Bowl, etc...). 

I have always heard that there was a fire in the archive that housed these copies. 

To my knowledge  there are only three (3) complete live TV versions of any Frank Broyles coached games, all losses. :'(