Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many people thought that TAMU joining the SEC wouldn't hurt Arkansas?

Started by Sweet Feet, July 30, 2017, 07:37:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 31, 2017, 03:29:22 pm
Apparently 2.5 million people tuned in to watch that game last season so I guess that includes your "43".

LSU-A&M only drew 2.8 million as the lone CFB game on Thanksgiving Day.

You beat me to it

gchamblee

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 31, 2017, 03:52:44 pm
The 43 was obviously hyperbole.

How many of those 2.5 million lived in Arkansas or Missouri?

And yet here you are, clinging to the hope that you were right, even though it was already proven that you weren't lol.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on August 02, 2017, 08:18:44 pm
And yet here you are, clinging to the hope that you were right, even though it was already proven that you weren't lol.

So, since this is an older post, you are just trying to stir up arguments? Come on man, don't gravitate to that b.s. like some others. You are better than that.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on July 31, 2017, 07:46:50 pm
We lost a competitive advantage in recruiting.  Before A&M joined the SEC, we were a better draw for Texas recruits because we're close.  It's been more of a negative than a positive.

We are recruiting better now than we were before they joined so, I wish they could join a second time.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: gchamblee on August 02, 2017, 08:26:09 pm
We are recruiting better now than we were before they joined so, I wish they could join a second time.

That's not really true. Our average is the same as it has been for over a decade.  Texas A&M on the other hand has gone up a lot since joining.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 02, 2017, 08:24:16 pm
So, since this is an older post, you are just trying to stir up arguments? Come on man, don't gravitate to that b.s. like some others. You are better than that.

ack. Tonight was the first time I opened this thread. I should have looked at the page count before posting. Apologies.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wildhog on August 02, 2017, 04:52:04 pm
Or maybe Sumlin sucks? 

The pieces are there for TAMU.  The right coach makes them a juggernaut.

As far as you know.

Maybe the Aggies suck.

A&M won 10 or more games just once in 16 years in the Big 12.  Sumlin was the hottest coach on Hogville when he won 11 in 2012. Now he sucks.  Bear Bryant was 24-14 at A&M.

Eventually you'll get it - the Aggies are never going to be that good for very long. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Sweet Feet

Sumlin doesn't suck. He was just in the playoff race at #4 last season. His problem is that he just goes on a spiral at the end of the season, which is unacceptable with the talent he has. 

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Sweet Feet on August 02, 2017, 11:32:44 pm
His problem is that he just goes on a spiral at the end of the season, which is unacceptable with the talent he has.

aka he sucks
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on August 03, 2017, 12:00:01 am
aka he sucks
I'm not going that far to say he sucks. Like I said, he was just in the playoff race last season

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on August 02, 2017, 07:24:14 am
Bad analogy. The Aggies recruiting improved (at the Longhorns expense) when they joined the SEC but the Hogs recruiting did not decline when the Aggies joined the SEC. Therefore while the Aggies helped themselves, they did not hurt Arkansas. Arkansas has hurt themselves more than the Aggies could ever hurt the Hogs.

Food For thought here. If the Aggies have to fire Sumlin and spend a couple of years at or below .500, coupled with the possibility that Hermann flops at Texas, I could see our recruiting improving during that spell. Of course OU and LSU would benefit also.

grayhawg

Haven't read the whole thread, but if memory serves me right we never lost to A&M in Dallas until the self imposed death penalty of hiring Jon L Smith.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: grayhawg on August 03, 2017, 07:37:02 am
Haven't read the whole thread, but if memory serves me right we never lost to A&M in Dallas until the self imposed death penalty of hiring Jon L Smith.
A&M upgraded coaches from Sherman to Sumlin.
Arkansas downgraded from Petrino to Bielema (via John L. Smith)

Mix those together, shake thoroughly, and that's how you have five straight losses by Ark.

Even the last win we had, we pulled that one out of our rears. Down 35-17 at half and getting run over.
But we made the right moves, and Sherman made some bad calls, and we win 42-38.
Coaching matters.
Flip the script, and it's been Arkansas giving a couple of games away...thinking of 2014 and 2015 here. It was painful to lose one of those games, but the odds of losing BOTH of those games with the leads we had, and the time remaining on the clock, were very stacked against A&M.
Coaching matters.

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 02, 2017, 08:01:04 pm
I'm not so sure about that. But I am also not sure enough to say that you are wrong. I think that Bielema needs to win 9 this year and next to keep his job, but at the very least, 9 this year and 8 next year. I'm not happy with that win total given the number of years that he has had to build the program. For me, it needs to be more, but next season he will be starting over with a new QB and who knows how much experience that QB gets this season? Other moving parts are involved, but the QB is a pretty huge moving part.

It's not me saying it.....