Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many people thought that TAMU joining the SEC wouldn't hurt Arkansas?

Started by Sweet Feet, July 30, 2017, 07:37:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

It's been five full seasons since TAMU has been a member of the SEC. How much has TAMU joining the SEC hurt the Hogs in your opinion?

ricepig

lakecityhog

Most people here would say that our recruiting has improved over the last 3 or 4 years, right?
I would venture to say that ATM has out-recruited Arkansas for a lot longer than since joining the SEC.

So how exactly has them being in the SEC hurt us?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lakecityhog on July 30, 2017, 07:51:43 pm
Most people here would say that our recruiting has improved over the last 3 or 4 years, right?
I would venture to say that ATM has out-recruited Arkansas for a lot longer than since joining the SEC.

It put another team that out recruits us in the same division as us and it doesn't help that since they have joined we haven't beaten them. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

theFlyingHog

Well they've beaten us the last five times. I can't really argue that them being in the SEC has anything to do with that but it has probably helped them some

bennyl08

TAMU joining the SEC hasn't really hurt us. Our recruiting has improved as discussed in other threads. So, hard to say that we have intrinsically been hurt as a program. Hard to say it has helped us either.

Now, joining the SEC has tremendously helped the aggies as evidenced by their big bump in recruiting. Their improvement has made our schedule more difficult than it already was.

We have seen a marked decrease in TX players on our roster, though I think that is related to our improvement in recruiting with more fla, ga, and la players.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GuvHog

The Hogs have hurt themselves much worse than they've been hurt by A&M being in the SEC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

3kgthog

It's been another near automatic SEC loss since they joined. It doesn't get much more damaging than that.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 30, 2017, 07:58:50 pm
The Hogs have hurt themselves much worse than they've been hurt by A&M being in the SEC.
Hard to argue with that.

EastexHawg

What evidence is there that them joining the SEC hurt us?  That they have beaten us five straight years?  Apparently Rutgers playing in three conferences in three years and Mississippi State staying in the SEC hurt us, too.

lakecityhog

They beat us because they joined the SEC??? Or did they beat us for other reasons?

I hate to break it to you guys, but IF the SEC expands they probably won't invite North Texas State and Jacksonville State. They will more than likely invite a couple of pretty good teams and things will just get tougher. It is up to Arkansas to get better.

For nearly 70 years we played ATM as the only team not from Texas. They out-recruited us then plus they had a ton more built-in advantages and we OWNED them. We out-played them and out-coached them. That is what we have to start doing again.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 30, 2017, 07:37:14 pm
It's been five full seasons since TAMU has been a member of the SEC. How much has TAMU joining the SEC hurt the Hogs in your opinion?

Lots and I said it from the start...

Hoggish1

Wrong.

Hoggish1

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 30, 2017, 07:58:32 pm

Now, joining the SEC has tremendously helped the aggies as evidenced by their big bump in recruiting.

By helping them it has hurt us.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lakecityhog

Hoggish1

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 30, 2017, 08:30:47 pm
From the start we have not beat them.

In case you haven't noticed, the Aggies aren't the Lone Rangers.  Between 1999 and 2011 we were 12-1 against Mississippi State.   Since 2012 we are 1-4.  Did they change conferences?

Bkhardicars

I thought most years it would be an automatic win and we'd recruit TX better.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 30, 2017, 08:40:09 pm
In case you haven't noticed, the Aggies aren't the Lone Rangers.  Between 1999 and 2011 we were 12-1 against Mississippi State.   Since 2012 we are 1-4.  Did they change conferences?
Misstake did step up their game a little with Mullen. And Dak helped a lot

ChicoHog

I think it's definitely hurt us as Texas kids can play in the SEC and stay home instead of going elsewhere like Arkansas.  But what has hurt worse is Texas sucking wind the last 7-8 years which made the Aggies the hot and trendy program in Texas along with the Manziel hype and Heisman.  And there is one more team in our division which makes it even more difficult to win.  The more teams in the league/division then the harder it gets. 

1highhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2017, 07:42:08 pm
Two people thought that.....

Most of this board thought that the aggies joining the SEC was a good thing, only a few of us thought that it was a terrible idea. 

Al Boarland

A&M came in and recruits at a higher level. That pushes us down another spot from a talent perspective.

Hogeration

I didn't think so but I also didn't think BP would crash his motorcycle with an ex-volleyball player on back.

hobhog

Hogwild

Since the SEC expanded we are 2-8 against Mizzou & A&M, 10-20 against the rest of the conference during that time frame.  It has been more on us than on the aggies.

A&M, hasn't been world beaters, they have lost 11 of their last 12 games against Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, and Alabama. 
They have yet to beat a team from the East that finished above .500 in the conference.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 30, 2017, 09:26:36 pm
A&M came in and recruits at a higher level. That pushes us down another spot from a talent perspective.

I wonder how we managed to kick their butt for so many years. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HamSammich

Another loss every year hurts of course. To many "SEC SEC SEC " knuckle draggers tell us on this forum every week how the SEC should go after OU and Florida state next. I call horsesharp.

The SEC needs Tulanes and tulsas.... end of story.

Porkchop#1

Hugo Bezdek

Pathetic. Bobby Petrino getting himself fired and sending our program into a tailspin has been the source of our troubles.

clutch

I don't think it has hurt us really, it has just helped them quite a bit.

870hogfan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 30, 2017, 09:26:36 pm

Hasn't A&M always recruited at a higher level?

hog.goblin

Truth

Quote from: Bkhardicars on July 30, 2017, 08:47:10 pm
I thought most years it would be an automatic win and we'd recruit TX better.

That's the path we were on until it was derailed

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 30, 2017, 07:58:32 pm
TAMU joining the SEC hasn't really hurt us. Our recruiting has improved as discussed in other threads. So, hard to say that we have intrinsically been hurt as a program. Hard to say it has helped us either.

Now, joining the SEC has tremendously helped the aggies as evidenced by their big bump in recruiting. Their improvement has made our schedule more difficult than it already was.

We have seen a marked decrease in TX players on our roster, though I think that is related to our improvement in recruiting with more fla, ga, and la players.
So read that and then think about it a little while, TAMU joined the SEC, and their recruiting skyrocketed, you don't think they have taken recruits from us ?? We have competed for a lot more recruits since they joined, and they win 4 out of 5, they weren't beating us by those numbers when they were in the big12.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

This is what I was thinking as well...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Science Fiction Greg

I think it's hilarious that some of you fools think that Texas A&M joining the SEC has anything to do with our recent lack of success.  Good lord, people.  Please, learn about correlation and how it is not tethered to causation.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

SamBuckhart

Didn't want it. Hate it . Its all about money and SEC Network subscribers. Aggies are using their SEC membership to entice recruits  that they may have lost to us.  Sorry scab lickers.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hogwild

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on July 31, 2017, 12:25:32 am
I think it's hilarious that some of you fools think that Texas A&M joining the SEC has anything to do with our recent lack of success.  Good lord, people.  Please, learn about correlation and how it is not tethered to causation.

exactly,  since joining the SEC Texas A&M is 21-19 in SEC play, Mizzou is 19-21 in conference play. The latter has been to the SEC Championship game twice.
Both of those teams have a better winning % in SEC play than we have had, not just in the past 5 years, but our all-time SEC record. We have done it to ourselves.

Now if your argument is we screwed up by agreeing to play A&M every year in their home state instead of a home and home, I would agree with you.
It was a self inflicted wound. We have gone 0 for 5 and haven't gained anything in recruiting, that said hindsight is 20/20.

A&M on the road= 2 losses each season.
2016 @ Bama @ Miss St
2015 @ Ole Miss @ LSU
2014 @ Miss St @Bama
2013 @LSU @MIzzou

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 30, 2017, 09:50:07 pm
I wonder how we managed to kick their butt for so many years.
agreed, the all-time series is 42-29-3 in favor of Arkansas....and that's having them win 5 in a row with the last three absolutely given to them by the Hogs...A&M has always out recruited Arkansas but we always managed to handle them on the field. All things being equal, counting the past 3 years the all-time series should be 45-26-3...We'll beat them this year and you can go ahead and book that
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 30, 2017, 11:13:24 pm

Hasn't A&M always recruited at a higher level?
I'm talking about in the SEC. When you rank the programs A&M will always be higher.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 31, 2017, 03:07:48 am
agreed, the all-time series is 42-29-3 in favor of Arkansas....and that's having them win 5 in a row with the last three absolutely given to them by the Hogs...A&M has always out recruited Arkansas but we always managed to handle them on the field. All things being equal, counting the past 3 years the all-time series should be 45-26-3...We'll beat them this year and you can go ahead and book that
Aggie is gonna derail at some point in the season. It should start in Jerrah's house and I think it will this season. UT should start waking up this year and another aggie fail on the season will start splitting those TX recruits more. I met a lot of ags the last couple of weeks, oddly enough right outside Austin, and they are disgusted with Sumlin. They were all ready to start the season so they can be that much closer to dumping him. Their bravado is toast.

MuskogeeHogFan

Actually, it hasn't hurt us. They were recruiting better than Arkansas before they joined the SEC. I think that having a game with them in Jerry-World each year has helped our exposure to Texas based recruits. If A&M joining the SEC has hurt anyone, it has probably hurt the Longhorns more than Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 31, 2017, 06:53:06 am
Actually, it hasn't hurt us. They were recruiting better than Arkansas before they joined the SEC. I think that having a game with them in Jerry-World each year has helped our exposure to Texas based recruits. If A&M joining the SEC has hurt anyone, it has probably hurt the Longhorns more than Arkansas.

This is pretty much how I see it. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 30, 2017, 11:36:49 pm
So read that and then think about it a little while, TAMU joined the SEC, and their recruiting skyrocketed, you don't think they have taken recruits from us ?? We have competed for a lot more recruits since they joined, and they win 4 out of 5, they weren't beating us by those numbers when they were in the big12.

Their recruiting skyrocketed becuase they fired Sherman and hired Sumlin.  They also started winning, at least initially.

hawganatic

A&M joining the conference didn't hurt us near as bad as a former coach crashing his motorcycle into a ditch did.

31to6

TAMU joining the SEC has not hurt us nearly as bad as Petrino dipping his pen in company ink and Slappy the Clown (CJLS) driving us into the ditch.

On paper it might look like TAMU has kicked us down a rung on the SEC-W ladder. But really, we did it to ourselves. Our games vs. TAMU have mostly been very close, 4th quarter games that we just couldn't finish.

I see no reason why the series will not even up over time.

Peter Porker

I said it would hurt us more than help. Our one advantage we had over them with Texas kids was playing in the SEC.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hobhog

We used to play LSU in a nationally appealing game Friday after Thanksgiving. Who has that game now?

Tusks

So you guys do know that A/M can only sign 25 a year? 

The Ags are 84-103 since joining the SEC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Peter Porker

Quote from: clutch on July 30, 2017, 10:54:16 pm
I don't think it has hurt us really, it has just helped them quite a bit.

If it helps them then it hurts us. Just like bama winning national titles and our fans yelling SEC! SEC! SEC! so stupid.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.