Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On a scale from 0-10...how excited are you for each game?

Started by NuttinItUp, July 26, 2017, 04:06:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRHawg

FL A&M - 7 - Finally football is back
TCU - 8 - Important game but not a season-ender if we lose
TX A&M - 10 - Must. Win. Can't emphasize this enough. Both CBB and Sumlin have had this game circling the back of their minds all offseason.  I won't bother rating the rest because my interest level will depend entirely on how we do at TCU and aTm.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 02, 2017, 08:18:35 am
Should rank them from 1-12 on the excitement level.

1. Auburn because its the best game at Fay this year and I hate Gus
2. Bama
3. TCU
4. LSU
5. aTm
6.USCe
7. Ole Miss
8. MSU
9. Mizzou
10. Coastal Carolina
11. NMSU
12. Florida A&M

True, this may be a better system.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: LRHawg on August 02, 2017, 08:58:28 am
FL A&M - 7 - Finally football is back
TCU - 8 - Important game but not a season-ender if we lose
TX A&M - 10 - Must. Win. Can't emphasize this enough. Both CBB and Sumlin have had this game circling the back of their minds all offseason.  I won't bother rating the rest because my interest level will depend entirely on how we do at TCU and aTm.

I kind of agree with you: If we can go 2-0 against the Texas teams early, then the rest of the season really opens up for us.

AugustaHog

Florida A&M  7  --  Season opener, on the first night of football.  Gets more excitement than it normally would.
TCU     9  --  We're going to find out what we have.  We couldn't stop the spread in the past and this will show a little better what Rhoads D will do vs. a good spread attack.
Texas A&M  9  --  This one is getting personal.  We've lost some close ones and found ways to beat ourselves in a couple of the games in the streak.  Gotta stop this year.
New Mexico State  1  --  Just when the season gets going, we have this dud in the middle of two important games.  It will be worth watching to see how the young guys are looking.
South Carolina    7  --  This one is important, simply because we need to handle business in the winnable games if we are going to reach 8-9 wins.
Alabama     9  --  It's Bama.  You get a shot at the bully in his own backyard.  This excitement level may go down real quick once it kicks off.
Auburn      6  --  We don't tend to handle the spread very well.  AU has more talent than us and Malzahn has a boner for kicking us in the teeth.  It's winnable, but we better put up some points.
Ole Miss    10  --  I'm expecting them to fold like cheap lawnchairs.  By the time we get them, their season will be a lost cause.  I hope we beat them by 50.
Coastal Carolina  1  --  Hope our guys work for a qtr and then get to sub in the young guys.
LSU     9  --  I hate LSU and would love to spank them in BR again.
Miss State   8  --  Shootout coming.  This is going to be a hell of a game with very little defense.
Missouri     7 --  I think we avenge last year.  We are sooooo much better than them, but figure out a way to make lose or make it interesting all too often.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: sowmonella on July 26, 2017, 05:09:25 pm

Please change your phrasing on the South Carolina game. It's freaking me out.

Yeah, just begs for this video.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The OTR

I can't do this because I am on a sliding scale.  My numbers for each game will be based on our performance in previous games. If we are 5 and 0 going into the Alabama game then my excitement level will be 8 or 9.  If we are 3 and 2 my excitement level will be 3. 

Anyone who answered differently than me isn't thinking much...not surprising this time of year as delusions of grandeur for some coupled with extreme pessimism for others cloud this forum's perspective to a point that it is nearly unreadable as the season nears.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on August 02, 2017, 10:17:34 am
I can't do this because I am on a sliding scale.  My numbers for each game will be based on our performance in previous games. If we are 5 and 0 going into the Alabama game then my excitement level will be 8 or 9.  If we are 3 and 2 my excitement level will be 3. 

Anyone who answered differently than me isn't thinking much...not surprising this time of year as delusions of grandeur for some coupled with extreme pessimism for others cloud this forum's perspective to a point that it is nearly unreadable as the season nears.
I agree with you on this one.  That's something I had to think about as well.  If disaster strikes and we're sitting at 4 wins going into Mizzou, that game is going to be a -200 excitement level.  As you mentioned though, if we are rolling up wins, each game is going to ratchet up the rating for the previous one.  If we're 9-2 going into Mizzou, that game is going to be off the charts.

Deep Shoat

I really struggle to understand how supposed Razorback football fans aren't excited about Razorback football games.  ???
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 02, 2017, 10:35:56 am
I really struggle to understand how supposed Razorback football fans aren't excited about Razorback football games.  ???

Persistent mediocrity will drive many people to apathy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on August 02, 2017, 10:37:56 am

Well, if mediocrity becomes persistent under Bielema, then he won't last long.

Luckily for hog fans, the program has experienced persistent growth so apathy should only be a concern for non-fans.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

cosmodrum

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 02, 2017, 10:40:14 am
Well, if mediocrity becomes persistent under Bielema, then he won't last long.

I don't believe that. At all.
Go away, batin'

jkstock04

Florida A&M  3
TCU  10
Texas A&M  8
New Mexico State  1
South Carolina  8
Alabama 7
Auburn  9
Ole Miss  8
Coastal Carolina 2
LSU   8
Miss State  5
Missouri  4
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

AugustaHog

It's all relative.  If you are telling me that playing TCU, TAMU, Bama, etc. is a 10, then NMSt. and Coastal Carolina are comparably less exciting and thus ranked much lower.  It doesn't mean I'm not excited about either game.  I'll be watching the Hogs those days and not skipping the game to watch other more competitive games.  Even though it's against rooty-poot U, it's still the Hogs. 

jkstock04

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 02, 2017, 10:43:53 am
It's all relative.  If you are telling me that playing TCU, TAMU, Bama, etc. is a 10, then NMSt. and Coastal Carolina are comparably less exciting and thus ranked much lower.  It doesn't mean I'm not excited about either game.  I'll be watching the Hogs those days and not skipping the game to watch other more competitive games.  Even though it's against rooty-poot U, it's still the Hogs. 
Ya its simply a homer spin. There's a reason why people will give away tickets to the coastal Carolina type games while TCU at home would be a harder ticket to come by.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

AugustaHog

Quote from: Wildhog on August 02, 2017, 10:37:56 am
We've been mediocre all but about 3-4 seasons that I've been old enough to remember and I'm still pumped as hell about this season.  If mediocrity was a problem I wouldn't be a Hog fan.  It's a painful existence, but I wouldn't trade being a Hog fan for anything.  That said, I'd like to add a few more winning seasons to that ledger.

hogsanity

Same reason they are less excited about a win if it is 17-14 than if it is 42-38. It is entertainment for the most part. Yes, they want the Hogs to win, but they want to be entertained while doing so. Beating rent-a-win U 70-3 is boring, and it is even more boring beating them 38-10 because the starters are resting.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 02, 2017, 10:51:14 am
We've been mediocre all but about 3-4 seasons that I've been old enough to remember and I'm still pumped as hell about this season.  If mediocrity was a problem I wouldn't be a Hog fan.  It's a painful existence, but I wouldn't trade being a Hog fan for anything.  That said, I'd like to add a few more winning seasons to that ledger.

He asked why some people may not be excited. 

I'm psyched as I can be.  Nothing better than football season.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 02, 2017, 10:54:50 am
Persistent growth??  In terms of national relevance, rankings, or money?

I might agree if you're talking money.  Everything else - yeah no. 

Oh, you've done it now.  Here comes a wall of text.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 02, 2017, 10:47:07 am
Ya its simply a homer spin. There's a reason why people will give away tickets to the coastal Carolina type games while TCU at home would be a harder ticket to come by.

There's only 12 games guaranteed in a season, I don't understand why one wouldn't be excited for all of them. If you have certain obligations that keep one from attending certain games, then sure, they'll pick TCU over Coastal if it works out that way.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on August 02, 2017, 10:51:26 am
Same reason they are less excited about a win if it is 17-14 than if it is 42-38. It is entertainment for the most part. Yes, they want the Hogs to win, but they want to be entertained while doing so. Beating rent-a-win U 70-3 is boring, and it is even more boring beating them 38-10 because the starters are resting.
If we beat Florida A&M 70-3 with no mistakes and look dominant the entire game it will get my attention and make me excited for the season.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on August 02, 2017, 11:31:47 am
There's only 12 games guaranteed in a season, I don't understand why one wouldn't be excited for all of them. If you have certain obligations that keep one from attending certain games, then sure, they'll pick TCU over Coastal if it works out that way.
I haven't even looked, but I would wager the ticket forum will have plenty of "need 4 lower level tickets for TCU" and on the flip side have a ton of "selling 4 lower level for coastal Carolina" posts out there.

Just the way it is.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 02, 2017, 11:35:48 am
I haven't even looked, but I would wager the ticket forum will have plenty of "need 4 lower level tickets for TCU" and on the flip side have a ton of "selling 4 lower level for coastal Carolina" posts out there.

Just the way it is.

Yep, some buy season tickets knowing they can't attend every game, no different than its ever been.

cosmodrum

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 02, 2017, 10:51:14 am

We had expectations to compete, though, whether foolish or not. I don't have that now. I know we will will between 5-8 games including bowl win.
Go away, batin'

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on August 02, 2017, 12:03:22 pm
Yep, some buy season tickets knowing they can't attend every game, no different than its ever been.
However you want to look at it. Even in your example they of course will give up the coastal Carolina tickets before they would TCU. That's because of the quality of opponent.

If it's a glorified practice it's just not as big of a draw or as big of a news story. Been that way forever in every sport.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 02, 2017, 12:42:27 pm
However you want to look at it. Even in your example they of course will give up the coastal Carolina tickets before they would TCU. That's because of the quality of opponent.

If it's a glorified practice it's just not as big of a draw or as big of a news story. Been that way forever in every sport.

At every school......and the diehards will be there in the stadium at the various schools.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 02, 2017, 08:18:35 am
Should rank them from 1-12 on the excitement level.

1. Auburn because its the best game at Fay this year and I hate Gus
2. Bama
3. TCU
4. LSU
5. aTm
6.USCe
7. Ole Miss
8. MSU
9. Mizzou
10. Coastal Carolina
11. NMSU
12. Florida A&M

My boys have arranged for me to be at the game on 10/21. I just want to see Gussie walk off the field with his head hung low.

They have some serious "payback" coming.

And the Mizzou [CENSORED]....cats, well that Ginger MLB better hope that we don't decide to execute the "Barner chop block" scheme.

I'm wanting some blood this year.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: rljjr on July 26, 2017, 04:54:48 pm
My excitement goes to 11.

Nice.  :D

I'll just rate the first 2 big games—TCU...a 9, and Texas A&M...10.

How the rest of them score, from South Carolina on, depends on how we do against the Frogs and Ags. My excitement will not drop below a 7, but if we keep winning, it could stay right around 10 for the SEC games.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 02, 2017, 11:45:07 pm
My boys have arranged for me to be at the game on 10/21. I just want to see Gussie walk off the field with his head hung low.

They have some serious "payback" coming.

And the Mizzou [CENSORED]....cats, well that Ginger MLB better hope that we don't decide to execute the "Barner chop block" scheme.

I'm wanting some blood this year.

Gus definitely needs to go down. I hope the crowd is really into that game.