Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where SEC Defensive Units Ranked Within Steele's Position Groups Nationally

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 05, 2017, 06:12:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Same as for the Offensive Position Group's...the top 55.

DL: #6 Alabama, #8 Florida, #10 Auburn, #11 Georgia, #14 LSU, #24 Texas A&M, #32 Ole Miss, #34 Tennessee, #37 Miss State, #46 Missouri, #52 Arkansas

LB: #1 Alabama, #6 Georgia, #10 LSU, #14 Auburn, #22 Kentucky, #26 Tennessee, #27 Florida, #32 Texas A&M, #33 S. Carolina, #41 Miss State

DB: #2 Alabama, #7 Florida, #8 LSU, #11 Auburn, #16 Georgia, #17 Texas A&M, #19 Tennessee, #23 S. Carolina, #27 Kentucky, #38 Arkansas, #39 Ole Miss

Let's face it, there is a lot to be proven by this defense so I wouldn't allow any of these pre-season rankings to discourage me. Change to a 3-4 and having leaked like a sieve last season as well as a new DC all contribute to this lack of faith in our defense by the prognosticators.

www.philsteele.com
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Surfing8 on July 05, 2017, 07:13:19 pm
All Bielema's players.

All Bielema's coaches.

Year 5.

#7 on coacheshotseat.com, but I think that guy underestimates the average Razorback fan's soft spot for a few clever soundbytes from a guy that looks like their buddy down at the tire shop. 

Please stick to the topic. You have plenty of other threads in which you have been critical of Bielema. Let's just talk about where we are and the competition in this one. Thanks.
Go Hogs Go!

GoHogs1091

Interesting that nationally there are 5 Defensive Lines ranked higher than Alabama's DL.  When was the last time Alabama's DL was not ranked nationally #1 or at least #2?

Kirby Smart probably was a better recruiter than many national analysts may have realized.  It perhaps has been tougher for Alabama to reload with the quantity of elite Defensive Linemen they were used to under Smart's recruiting.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 05, 2017, 07:21:29 pm
Interesting that nationally there are 5 Defensive Lines ranked higher than Alabama's DL.  When was the last time Alabama's DL was not ranked nationally #1 or at least #2?

Kirby Smart probably was a better recruiter than many national analysts may have realized.  It perhaps has been tougher for Alabama to reload with the quantity of elite Defensive Linemen they were used to under Smart's recruiting.

That's a good point.
Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

I actually think our 1st unit of LB will be pretty good. However, if someone gets hurt like last year there could be trouble. I have a lot of confidence in Harris, Greenlaw and Ramsey. Health and the development of the Hog position will be key.

I would actually have the dline lower. I think it could be a disaster. Almost no depth IMO.

Secondary is probably about right. Could be better with the experience and Toliver finally being able to play outside CB which IMO is his best postion.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 05, 2017, 07:32:22 pm
I actually think our 1st unit of LB will be pretty good. However, if someone gets hurt like last year there could be trouble. I have a lot of confidence in Harris, Greenlaw and Ramsey. Health and the development of the Hog position will be key.

I would actually have the dline lower. I think it could be a disaster. Almost no depth IMO.

Secondary is probably about right. Could be better with the experience and Toliver finally being able to play outside CB which IMO is his best postion.

Actually, it is better than I expected. Some untested talent that we still have to observe, but man, I would love to be inside the defensive meeting rooms with the coaching staff.

The Unknown NT, 6-?, 300+?
M. Johnson, Jr, 6-5, 285   J. Marshall, R/Fr., 6-4, 299      M. Taylor, Jr., 6-3, 260
A. Watts, Jr., 6-5, 293       A. Capps, So., 6-4, 309       B. Guidry, R-Fr., 6-3, 294
M. Agim, So., 6-3, 289      B. Jackson, Sr., 6-2, 335      T.J. Smith, So., 6-3, 285
               DE                             NT                                     DE

Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 07:43:18 pm
Actually, it is better than I expected. Some untested talent that we still have to observe, but man, I would love to be inside the defensive meeting rooms with the coaching staff.

The Unknown NT, 6-?, 300+?
M. Johnson, Jr, 6-5, 285   J. Marshall, R/Fr., 6-4, 299      M. Taylor, Jr., 6-3, 260
A. Watts, Jr., 6-5, 293       A. Capps, So., 6-4, 309       B. Guidry, R-Fr., 6-3, 294
M. Agim, So., 6-3, 289      B. Jackson, Sr., 6-2, 335      T.J. Smith, So., 6-3, 285
               DE                             NT                                     DE

Only 3 of those players have seen significant playing time. I consider it very weak. Hopefully they surprise me

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 05, 2017, 07:56:32 pm
Only 3 of those players have seen significant playing time.

Yep, thus the reference to untested talent.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 05, 2017, 07:21:29 pm

Bama has been a top 10 run stopping defense every single year under Saban. However, over the past decade, they've spent almost half of that time outside of the top 30 in passing defense. Which isn't just the DL, sure. However, if you look at sacks, they average being ranked 33rd over the past 10 years. That average is greatly inflated by the anomalous last 2 years where they had rare talent at rushing the passer by even Bama standards. Remove those two years and they average being ranked 42nd. The previous years, they averaged about 28 sacks a season. However, the past 2 seasons, they had 55 and 52 sacks respectively.

Thus, while they have been very good, it actually isn't that surprising that Bama's DL wouldn't be the tops in the country. The highest they'd ranked in sacks beforehand was 16th, and the following year, they dropped down to 80th in sacks. I'd expect a regression towards the mean in terms of sacks this coming year.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 05, 2017, 08:05:48 pm
Bama has been a top 10 run stopping defense every single year under Saban. However, over the past decade, they've spent almost half of that time outside of the top 30 in passing defense. Which isn't just the DL, sure. However, if you look at sacks, they average being ranked 33rd over the past 10 years. That average is greatly inflated by the anomalous last 2 years where they had rare talent at rushing the passer by even Bama standards. Remove those two years and they average being ranked 42nd. The previous years, they averaged about 28 sacks a season. However, the past 2 seasons, they had 55 and 52 sacks respectively.

Thus, while they have been very good, it actually isn't that surprising that Bama's DL wouldn't be the tops in the country. The highest they'd ranked in sacks beforehand was 16th, and the following year, they dropped down to 80th in sacks. I'd expect a regression towards the mean in terms of sacks this coming year.

Here's some more info on Alabama since 2008.

Alabama   Pass Att   Sacks   Sacks/Opp
2007           428        24         17.8
2008           467        25         18.7
2009           449        32         14.0
2010           367        27         13.6
2011           334        30         11.1
2012           397        35         11.3
2013           355        22         16.1
2014           493        31         15.9
2015           495        53          9.3
2016           507        54          9.4
Overall        4292      333         12.9
Avg/Yr        429.2     33.3        12.9

Just look at how their Sacks P/Yr and P/Opportunity have ramped up.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 08:47:52 pm
Here's some more info on Alabama since 2008.

Alabama   Pass Att   Sacks   Sacks/Opp
2007           428        24         17.8
2008           467        25         18.7
2009           449        32         14.0
2010           367        27         13.6
2011           334        30         11.1
2012           397        35         11.3
2013           355        22         16.1
2014           493        31         15.9
2015           495        53          9.3
2016           507        54          9.4
Overall        4292      333         12.9
Avg/Yr        429.2     33.3        12.9

Just look at how their Sacks P/Yr and P/Opportunity have ramped up.

Yep. Bama fans will tell you that's by design. However, I doubt Saban was leaving sacks on the table in previous years. I expect them to not nearly be able to replicate their success.

Though not quite sure how to read your last sentence. Is that Sacks passing per year? Sacks Points per year? Sacks per per year?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 05, 2017, 09:06:11 pm
Yep. Bama fans will tell you that's by design. However, I doubt Saban was leaving sacks on the table in previous years. I expect them to not nearly be able to replicate their success.

Though not quite sure how to read your last sentence. Is that Sacks passing per year? Sacks Points per year? Sacks per per year?

I was unsure his meaning as well. Looks like fewer sacks per opportunity but more opportunities resulting in higher sacks per season. Errr something. I never could math
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HardingHog

Tough playing in a league where you can be #52 on the DL and be 11th in the conference and #38 overall at DB, but 10th in the conference. Hopefully we exceed expectations and surprise some people

AugustaHog

If we can just be middle of the road in the SEC on D, this team will surprise some folks.  We can't afford to find ourselves in shootouts every Saturday, asking our offense to match scores against teams with D's infinitely better than our own.  Hopefully, Rhoads will bring some heat and get our tails off the field on 3rd down.

rljjr

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 05, 2017, 08:26:09 pm
We look about right on that list.  Unfortunately.

The upshot is that all of their info is based on last year. Every season brings new people, new opponents, and new opportunities to excel. I'll just have to sit back and see how this new unit and scheme pans out. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 05, 2017, 09:06:11 pm

That's a measure of the frequency of Sacks. Number of passing attempts divided by the total number of sacks.

As an example, if your opponents had 406 pass attempts and you had 35 Sacks, that would be 1 Sack in every 11.6 passing attempts. It's a good way to measure Sack Productivity.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 06, 2017, 06:27:33 am
That's a measure of the frequency of Sacks. Number of passing attempts divided by the total number of sacks.

As an example, if your opponents had 406 pass attempts and you had 35 Sacks, that would be 1 Sack in every 11.6 passing attempts. It's a good way to measure Sack Productivity.

I got that. It was your last sentence I had questions with. You had sacks P/opportunity. The "/" is already the "per" so I was wondering what the "P" part of it was. Wasn't sure if it was just a mistake like saying atm machine, scuba device, or degrees kelvin, by using P to denote per and doubling up by using the slash to also denote per or if the P actually meant something outside of being a mistake.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 06, 2017, 11:35:12 am
I got that. It was your last sentence I had questions with. You had sacks P/opportunity. The "/" is already the "per" so I was wondering what the "P" part of it was. Wasn't sure if it was just a mistake like saying atm machine, scuba device, or degrees kelvin, by using P to denote per and doubling up by using the slash to also denote per or if the P actually meant something outside of being a mistake.

Geez Benny. Just try to enjoy the information. I certainly hope that everyone isn't as easily confused as you seem to be.
Go Hogs Go!

presidenthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 06, 2017, 12:14:47 pm
Geez Benny. Just try to enjoy the information. I certainly hope that everyone isn't as easily confused as you seem to be.
He is being a smart@$$

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 06, 2017, 12:14:47 pm

Lighten up francis. I'm just having some fun with you.

You often double up on the "per" and I'm just having some fun with it. Same way I would poke fun at somebody who repeatedly said ATM machine, CIA agency, or repeatedly said something like "me llamo es .... ".

Guess my sense of humor is drier than can translate over raw text on a message board.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 06, 2017, 04:43:52 pm

You often double up on the "per" and I'm just having some fun with it. Same way I would poke fun at somebody who repeatedly said ATM machine, CIA agency, or repeatedly said something like "me llamo es .... ".

Guess my sense of humor is drier than can translate over raw text on a message board.

I just answered your original question because I really thought you had a legit question. You know, you got me.
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 06, 2017, 04:43:52 pm

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rljjr on July 06, 2017, 06:03:39 am
The upshot is that all of their info is based on last year. Every season brings new people, new opponents, and new opportunities to excel. I'll just have to sit back and see how this new unit and scheme pans out. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

My hope is that some of the problems that we had have been eliminated by a plane ticket to Minnesota. I don't think we will play a straight 3-4 in any game but the whole philosophy of that base defense should help us to play faster, be more aggressive and attacking and be less predictable on defense. Of course we still have to be aligned properly, make sure tackles and make plays on the ball in coverage. If we can find a way to do those things, we should be a lot better than last year. Top 25 in total defense would be great, but I would be very happy with top 35-40.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

I like our players they look good on paper.  Our size/speed combo should be the best in a very long time and I mean going back last three coaches.  I used to be on a board where a guy did the numbers on that conference wide believe it or not.  Only time can tell us how they react to a new scheme and new DC.  If CPR gets us anywhere near top 25 overall he should win the Broyles Award.  Go get em CPR!!!