Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watching the US Senior Open and something struck me

Started by TheJoeyBucketz, July 02, 2017, 04:05:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJoeyBucketz

Bernhard Langer may be the most overrated golfer of all time. He's just soft.

Dude is weak like Southern Hills par 3's.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: golf2day on July 02, 2017, 04:05:30 pm
Bernhard Langer may be the most overrated golfer of all time. He's just soft.

Dude is weak like Southern Hills par 3's.

Langer has already won 2 Majors this year (Regions Tradition and the Senior PGA Championship).  He won those 2 Majors in back-to-back weeks.

Another Major, The Constellation Sr. Players Championship, is soon.  Langer has won that Major the last 3 years in-a-row.

ricepig

I guess the call all of the Sr tour events majors, embarrassing.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 04:25:50 pm
Langer has already won 2 Majors this year (Regions Tradition and the Senior PGA Championship).  He won those 2 Majors in back-to-back weeks.

Another Major, The Constellation Sr. Players Championship, is soon.  Langer has won that Major the last 3 years in-a-row.
So he got hot for two weeks and he plays good whatever time of year they hold the astronomy open. So what? That probably coincides with beer fest in Germany and he's loose as a goose. How can he be a great player if he can only play great drunk?

He played like a dog on this track, and my great uncle said he heard some course design dude named maxwell say that this course was the greatest test in all of golf.

If he is so good then why didn't Langer play better on the greatest test in all of golf history?
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: golf2day on July 02, 2017, 05:08:45 pm
So he got hot for two weeks and he plays good whatever time of year they hold the astronomy open. So what? That probably coincides with beer fest in Germany and he's loose as a goose. How can he be a great player if he can only play great drunk?

He played like a dog on this track, and my great uncle said he heard some course design dude named maxwell say that this course was the greatest test in all of golf.

If he is so good then why didn't Langer play better on the greatest test in all of golf history?

Salem Country Club is not even one of Donald Ross' best designs.  It is not the greatest test in golf.  Just look at the winning score (-16).

Langer won The Constellation Sr. Players Championship last year with a winning score of +1 on A.W. Tillinghast's Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club.  That Tillinghast course Langer won on last year was the best golf course played on by any professional tour last year.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 05:21:27 pm
Salem Country Club is not even one of Donald Ross' best designs.  It is not the greatest test in golf.  Just look at the winning score (-16).

Langer won The Constellation Sr. Players Championship last year with a winning score of +1 on A.W. Tillinghast's Wissahickon Course at Philadelphia Cricket Club.  That Tillinghast course Langer won on last year was the best golf course played on by any professional tour last year.
In your own words, Maxwell is the best course designer ever. I have it on solid authority that he called this track the best test ever. Are you back tracking your own words? Which one is it? Is maxwell the best or not?

So you throw some tourney out there where obviously everybody played like crap but Langer hung on (again, probably due to beerfest) to win at over par to say he's superman?

You've got more holes in this than tigers back window the night elin caught him.

Hell, he can't even beat Kenny Perry and his fade is a 5 yd draw. How can superman get beat on the greatest test of golf by a cat that only works it one way?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

GoHogs1091

Quote from: golf2day on July 02, 2017, 05:29:29 pm
In your own words, Maxwell is the best course designer ever. I have it on solid authority that he called this track the best test ever. Are you back tracking your own words? Which one is it? Is maxwell the best or not?

So you throw some tourney out there where obviously everybody played like crap but Langer hung on (again, probably due to beerfest) to win at over par to say he's superman?

You've got more holes in this than tigers back window the night elin caught him.

Hell, he can't even beat Kenny Perry and his fade is a 5 yd draw. How can superman get beat on the greatest test of golf by a cat that only works it one way?

There are just some courses Kenny Perry plays well on.  Remember he almost won The Masters in 2009.  Perry also played well and won in the past at Muirfield Village. 

I do give Kenny Perry a lot of credit for winning the U.S. Senior Open in 2013 at Omaha Country Club in Nebraska.  Omaha Country Club is a William Langford/Theodore Moreau design, but with Perry Maxwell greens.  Maxwell redid the greens at Omaha Country Club in 1951.

Omaha Country Club is the best course Kenny Perry has won on.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 06:15:18 pm
There are just some courses Kenny Perry plays well on.  Remember he almost won The Masters in 2009.  Perry also played well and won in the past at Muirfield Village. 

I do give Kenny Perry a lot of credit for winning the U.S. Senior Open in 2013 at Omaha Country Club in Nebraska.  Omaha Country Club is a William Langford/Theodore Moreau design, but with Perry Maxwell greens.  Maxwell redid the greens at Omaha Country Club in 1951.

Not according to your boy max. He thought Salem Cc was the best course ever.

This was supposed to be about Langer and his poor showing at this excellent venue.

I actually just got off the phone with a friend of a friend that plays on the senior tour and he said Langer is a choke artist at tough tracks. Said he only plays well during beerfest weeks and on courses where the rules officials ignore him anchoring his putter.

After doing some digging it turns out Perry Maxwell has German roots and was a Nazi sympathizer. That, combined with your love for Langer and Brent Venebales (well known German/Nazi ties), leads me to believe you're a closet Nazi.

It's ok; the war is long over and we are all anonymous here. You can admit it. I've finally cracked your code, haven't I? You begrüßen die NS-Flagge, don't you? It explains so much...

GoHogs1091

Quote from: golf2day on July 02, 2017, 06:52:17 pm
Not according to your boy max. He thought Salem Cc was the best course ever.

This was supposed to be about Langer and his poor showing at this excellent venue.

I actually just got off the phone with a friend of a friend that plays on the senior tour and he said Langer is a choke artist at tough tracks. Said he only plays well during beerfest weeks and on courses where the rules officials ignore him anchoring his putter.

After doing some digging it turns out Perry Maxwell has German roots and was a Nazi sympathizer. That, combined with your love for Langer and Brent Venebales (well known German/Nazi ties), leads me to believe you're a closet Nazi.

It's ok; the war is long over and we are all anonymous here. You can admit it. I've finally cracked your code, haven't I? You begrüßen die NS-Flagge, don't you? It explains so much...

I am not aware that Perry Maxwell ever said/wrote that Salem Country Club was the best course ever.  If anything, there is a great possibility that Maxwell felt the National Golf Links of America in New York was the best course ever, or if not perhaps, maybe Maxwell felt The Old Course at St. Andrews was the best course ever.

The reason why there is a great possibilty that Maxwell felt National Golf Links of America was the best course ever is because it was the spark for Maxwell's career in golf.  Maxwell's wife showed him an article in Scribner's Magazine about the National Golf Links of America.  Maxwell then consulted with Charles B. MacDonald, the founder and architect of National Golf Links of America, before Maxwell proceeded to lay out four holes at a dairy farm he owned just north of Ardmore, Oklahoma (a property that evolved into Dornick Hills Golf & Country Club).

Regarding Langer's putting, back when the anchoring ban started he specifically showed Sr. Tour Officials what he is doing, and they okayed his method.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 07:13:04 pm
I am not aware that Perry Maxwell ever said/wrote that Salem Country Club was the best course ever.  If anything, there is a great possibility that Maxwell felt the National Golf Links of America in New York was the best course ever, or if not perhaps, maybe Maxwell felt The Old Course at St. Andrews was the best course ever.

The reason why there is a great possibilty that Maxwell felt National Golf Links of America was the best course ever is because it was the spark for Maxwell's career in golf.  Maxwell's wife showed him an article in Scribner's Magazine about the National Golf Links of America.  Maxwell then consulted with Charles B. MacDonald, the founder and architect of National Golf Links of America, before Maxwell proceeded to lay out four holes at a dairy farm he owned just north of Ardmore, Oklahoma (a property that evolved into Dornick Hills Golf & Country Club).

Regarding Langer's putting, back when the anchoring ban started he specifically showed Sr. Tour Officials what he is doing, and they okayed his method.
I'll take your conscious decision to ignore my Nazi claims as verification.  ;), it's ok, your secret is safe here.

I told you, Perry Maxwell told my great uncle about Salem being the best track ever. You can trust him, he wasn't Jewish.

Hell man, of course you didn't read about it anywhere. PM designed golf courses! You think he would publicly acknowledge that someone built a track so superior to his?

That would be like Venebales saying that Wily Robinsons scheme was superior to his! You know he wouldn't do that, Nazi pride and all.

Regarding Langers putting, I don't care how he putts. I'm just repeating what I've heard from people in the know. He only putts well while he's hella buzzed from beerfest and at tournaments where the rules officials look the other way and let him anchor (maybe tourneys run by more Nazi sympathizers?).

Either way, don't be mad at me. I'm not Jewish, and my ancestors kicked your ancestors butts so long ago we don't have to be enemies.

Now that we understand each other I think we can be friends. What do you think Hitler's biggest mistake was? I obviously have to go with invading Russia, but ordering his subs to sink our cargo ships was pretty arrogant, too. What do you think?

Dillar Dog

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dillar Dog on July 02, 2017, 08:13:45 pm
It's well known that langer is a cheater.

There is a guy from Phoenix who stated in a thread over on Golfwrx that he watched Langer last fall at the Schwab Cup finale, and that Langer definitely moved away from the body to putt.

During one tournament on t.v. I noticed they showed a slow-mo replay of him putting, and he moves it away from his body.  It is clear and plain to see.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 08:21:28 pm
There is a guy from Phoenix who stated in a thread over on Golfwrx that he watched Langer last fall at the Schwab Cup finale, and that Langer definitely moved away from the body to putt.

During one tournament on t.v. I noticed they showed a slow-mo replay of him putting, and he moves it away from his body.  It is clear and plain to see.
Well, there's a guy on HV that stated he anchors it, so it's obviously true as everything on HV is the gospel.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2017, 08:29:05 pm
Well, there's a guy on HV that stated he anchors it, so it's obviously true as everything on HV is the gospel.

The Langer aspect has been discussed a lot over on Golfwrx.  I think some confusion stems from the fact that Langer makes a practice stroke with it anchored, and then moves it away from his body before he makes the actual putting stroke.

Scott McCarron is the one on that Tour who is really difficult to determine whether he has it anchored or not.

The U.S.G.A. really did not write the rule the way it should have been written.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 08:41:45 pm
The Langer aspect has been discussed a lot over on Golfwrx.  I think some confusion stems from the fact that Langer makes a practice stroke with it anchored, and then moves it away from his body before he makes the actual putting stroke.

Scott McCarron is the one on that Tour who is really difficult to determine whether he has it anchored or not.

You posting countless times over there about Langer means about as much as your Maxwell posts over here, ponder that one.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2017, 09:01:45 pm
You posting countless times over there about Langer means about as much as your Maxwell posts over here, ponder that one.

I don't post over there.

I read posts as a guest on that site, but I don't log-in to post.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 09:25:41 pm
I don't post over there.

I read posts as a guest on that site, but I don't log-in to post.

How fortunate of them.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 08:21:28 pm

Some guy from Phoenix said that?  Really?

Yeah, he's a cheater.  He's going to keep cheating.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dillar Dog on July 02, 2017, 10:02:05 pm
Some guy from Phoenix said that?  Really?

Yeah, he's a cheater.  He's going to keep cheating.

Langer has no reason to cheat.

He works extremely hard, and he is meticulous.  Cheaters are the exact opposite of the way Langer prepares and works.

It should be kept in mind that someone once stated they saw Langer purposedly walk-off the yardage of a tee box.

Brandel Chamblee stated last year on The Golf Channel that he once played a tournament in which Langer was playing, and Chamblee stated during practice time Langer was using a measuring wheel.  Chamblee said he went up to Langer and asked him why he was using a wheel.  Chamblee stated I said to Langer the yardage is in the yardage book.  He said Langer replied with, "you would be surprised, but the yards in the yardage book can be off by just a few yards." 

Dillar Dog

That story can be told about 100's of players and former players. 

He's a cheater.  Tell all the stories you want about your cheating hero.  He still cheats.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dillar Dog on July 02, 2017, 10:20:44 pm
That story can be told about 100's of players and former players. 

He's a cheater.  Tell all the stories you want about your cheating hero.  He still cheats.

Until one of golf's ruling bodies (U.S.G.A. or R&A) determines and announces that he is cheating, then he is not cheating.

It should also be remembered that at each tournament there is a lot people who are watching him.  With the aspect involved (a putting stroke), it would be very difficult to cheat and get away with it.

Dillar Dog

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 10:16:21 pm
Langer has no reason to cheat.

He works extremely hard, and he is meticulous.  Cheaters are the exact opposite of the way Langer prepares and works.

It should be kept in mind that someone once stated they saw Langer purposedly walk-off the yardage of a tee box.

Brandel Chamblee stated last year on The Golf Channel that he once played a tournament in which Langer was playing, and Chamblee stated during practice time Langer was using a measuring wheel.  Chamblee said he went up to Langer and asked him why he was using a wheel.  Chamblee stated I said to Langer the yardage is in the yardage book.  He said Langer replied with, "you would be surprised, but the yards in the yardage book can be off by just a few yards."
You know who else used measuring wheels?

Nazis

waphill

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 08:41:45 pm

How should it have been written?

sowmonella

Putters can be no longer than 37 1/4" in length. Problem solved.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

EastexHawg

Quote from: sowmonella on July 05, 2017, 09:19:32 am

So easy even a caveman could do it.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 05, 2017, 11:25:24 am
So easy even a caveman could do it.

That would have been a belly putter for Woosnam.

PonderinHog

Langer is not a cheetah.  He's a panzer!   >:(

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 02, 2017, 06:15:18 pm

So Muirfield (Jack's place), Bay Hill and Colonial are chump courses?   Riiiiight....
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Wildhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 10, 2017, 08:58:33 am
So Muirfield (Jack's place), Bay Hill and Colonial are chump courses?   Riiiiight....

I'm guessing Omaha CC is the only one designed by Maxwell?  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 10, 2017, 11:25:00 am
I'm guessing Omaha CC is the only one designed by Maxwell?  :)

It's a glorified muni.  The holes may as well have clown's mouths.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 11, 2017, 07:07:20 am
It's a glorified muni.  The holes may as well have clown's mouths.

I heard it's soon to befit parking for Saturday's during football season, like a drive in movie but tailgating watching different games. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 10, 2017, 08:58:33 am

Muirfield Village has a highly regarded short Par 4 hole (Hole 14), but the rest of the course is regarded as being rather bland.

Bay Hill is not one of Dick Wilson's better designs.

Colonial's best holes are the 3 Perry Maxwell holes ("the horrible horseshoe" holes), but the rest of the course has been tinkered with a lot over the years.  It is really not the same course that Ben Hogan made well-known.

Omaha Country Club's course should be regarded as the 3rd best course in the middle of the country, 3rd only to Southern Hills and Prairie Dunes.  OCC has very good land movement, and it has a tough set of Perry Maxwell greens.

Here is a good review of OCC.  Notice at the very end of the review the Grade the reviewer gave regarding OCC.

http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/reviews/omahacc.php

Jackrabbit Hog

Langer choked yesterday.  Dumped one in the water when he could have locked up another major.

What a lightweight...

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 17, 2017, 05:26:12 pm
Langer choked yesterday.  Dumped one in the water when he could have locked up another major.

What a lightweight...

He broke one of Nicklaus' records that Jack basically set in his spare time.  Also, look at the list of competitors on the Champions Tour today.  Where are the Lee Trevinos, the Tom Watsons, the Gary Players, the Hale Irwins?  Basically the greatest players of the generation after Nicklaus didn't play or hardly played the tour at all.  Instead of playing against Greg Norman, Seve Ballesteros, and Nick Faldo Bernhard Langer has been beating Rocco Mediate, Scott McCarron, Brandt Jobe, and Scott Dunlap.  Vijay, who should be about the biggest name under 60, is still trying to play the regular tour.

Who can forget all the great moments...make that moment, singular...in the careers of Esteban Toledo and Marco Dawson?

The Senior Tour reached the zenith of its popularity when Arnie, Jack, Gary, and Lee were active and still young enough to contend.  It may have a resurgence if Phil and Tiger play some day, but right now it has the excitement surrounding it of a hangnail.

rickm1976

Quote from: sowmonella on July 05, 2017, 09:19:32 am

Agree 100%.  Limit putter length, and no more controversy.

GolfNut57

Quote from: rickm1976 on August 20, 2017, 05:37:38 pm
Agree 100%.  Limit putter length, and no more controversy.

The Americans with Disabilities Act might have a problem with that. Remember the golfer some years ago that had a degenerative disease that could not walk 18 holes and sued the PGA to force them into letting him drive a golf cart? Casey Martin I think was his name. He won that case.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on August 20, 2017, 05:58:46 pm
The Americans with Disabilities Act might have a problem with that. Remember the golfer some years ago that had a degenerative disease that could not walk 18 holes and sued the PGA to force them into letting him drive a golf cart? Casey Martin I think was his name. He won that case.

"Can't putt for darn", isn't a disability, or I would have a blue tag on my SUV.......

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 07:25:24 pm
"Can't putt for darn", isn't a disability, or I would have a blue tag on my SUV.......

Except my post was referring to limiting putter length, not your sucky skill with one.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on August 20, 2017, 08:35:15 pm
Except my post was referring to limiting putter length, not your sucky skill with one.

If they could use a shorter putter and not suck, they would. They aren't using it for fun.....

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 08:44:25 pm
If they could use a shorter putter and not suck, they would. They aren't using it for fun.....

I always thought they used for a couple reasons, long 1 club ball love rule on the local skins game, longer in the grip measurement gimme, and longer 2 clubs drop from the hazard