Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: 'We're in year 5. I totally get it'

Started by gchamblee, June 25, 2017, 12:16:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

Anyone should understand why CBB left Whiskey, besides the assistant pay.  A lot of people want to spread their wing and see if they can fly.  I've never questioned his motives and I've never said it wasn't a bang bang hire as far as prestige goes. 

However I did think that it was the wrong hire as far as what fit best for Arkansas.  He's struggles have done nothing to change my opinion.  Like anyone else I'm still hoping he succeeds, perseverance sometimes wins the day.

hawgon

Nobody expects 9 or 10 wins a year.  On the other hand, if Bielema had been a good enough in game coach to simply win the games that we led late in the third and fourth quarters over his tenure here, we would have won that many the last three years in a row.  If we had merely won the games that we had to actually work at losing, we would have had one of the best runs we've had in a long time.

I'm all for letting Bielema be the CEO of the program, recruit, and manage public relations if we can have someone else put together the game plans and leave Bret in the locker room on game day. 

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on June 26, 2017, 03:54:26 pm
Nobody expects 9 or 10 wins a year.  On the other hand, if Bielema had been a good enough in game coach to simply win the games that we led late in the third and fourth quarters over his tenure here, we would have won that many the last three years in a row.  If we had merely won the games that we had to actually work at losing, we would have had one of the best runs we've had in a long time.

I'm all for letting Bielema be the CEO of the program, recruit, and manage public relations if we can have someone else put together the game plans and leave Bret in the locker room on game day.

Can you cite some specific instances of how coaching lost those last 2 games? Do you think he lost those games because of his coaching, or do you think the interceptions and fumbles may have cost us those games?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on June 26, 2017, 03:25:28 pm
In regards to the original post.  I'm glad Bielema understands the situation he and ultimately we are facing.  It's year 5.  It's his players.  NO EXCUSES.

Bielema has to win more.  No more second half collapses and no more blowouts.  If we don't improve then Bielema needs to go.  I just hope we have a clean departure this time.  No text messages, mistress on a motorcycle, forced hiring of high school coach, springdale 5, golden handcuff bull crap.

Ark 34   A&M   27    ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 04:03:48 pm
Can you cite some specific instances of how coaching lost those last 2 games? Do you think he lost those games because of his coaching, or do you think the interceptions and fumbles may have cost us those games?

Can you prove it didn't, questions like that are dumb.  We have coaches so those things you mentioned don't happen.  We have coaches so they can game plan both before and during a game.  Yes, losing is shared but only coaches make 4 mil per year and last I checked players don't get fired. 

The consistency of some problems is coaching and it's the coaches responsibility to fix them.  Any fan base that has a desire to compete would expect nothing less.  Players execute but coaching provides the framework for execution.  This Philosophy isn't just about CBB as I said any fan base would expect the same.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 04:03:48 pm

Here's the deal, he is the HC. If the offense isn't ready, if the defense isn't ready, if we throw INT's because we are forcing the ball because AA feels like he has to press to make things happen due to the defense not being better, if we fumble balls because we are trying too hard instead of playing within ourselves, if everything goes wrong, it falls at the feet of the HC. Now if we win or blow people out and look good doing so, the credit belongs to the rest of the Staff and the Team. That's just how it is for a HC.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:17:43 pm
Here's the deal, he is the HC. If the offense isn't ready, if the defense isn't ready, if we throw INT's because we are forcing the ball because AA feels like he has to press to make things happen due to the defense not being better, if we fumble balls because we are trying too hard instead of playing within ourselves, if everything goes wrong, it falls at the feet of the HC. Now if we win or blow people out and look good doing so, the credit belongs to the rest of the Staff and the Team. That's just how it is for a HC.

Yes, I agree it is the HC's responsibility. However, to claim those fumbles and interceptions are due to him not making halftime adjustments is absurd. Adjustments are made to play calling, scheme, alignment... getting players into position to make plays. If those players, while in the process of making a play, throw an interception or fumble the ball, that is not an adjustment issue. Also, if CBB had benched Austin or Morgan, or anyone else who made these mistakes, these same fans claiming our coaches cant adjust at halftime would lose their minds.

Coaches responsibility? Absolutely. Halftime adjustments? Nope. Regardless of why someone thinks we lost games, our coaches are not idiots.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: gchamblee on June 25, 2017, 12:16:36 am
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Were-in-year-5-I-totally-get-it

"We changed dramatically what they were doing. We changed everything they'd recruited and believed in philosophically to something totally different," Bielema said, but he admitted, "but we're in year five. I totally get it. These are my guys, my players. We're ready to rock and roll. I think they understand what I'm saying the more I say it. It's a fun time to be in our program."

Awesome, I love this.....   please, let this be Bret's (and, more importantly, the Hog's) year...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 04:27:58 pm
Yes, I agree it is the HC's responsibility. However, to claim those fumbles and interceptions are due to him not making halftime adjustments is absurd. Adjustments are made to play calling, scheme, alignment... getting players into position to make plays. If those players, while in the process of making a play, throw an interception or fumble the ball, that is not an adjustment issue. Also, if CBB had benched Austin or Morgan, or anyone else who made these mistakes, these same fans claiming our coaches cant adjust at halftime would lose their minds.

Coaches responsibility? Absolutely. Halftime adjustments? Nope. Regardless of why someone thinks we lost games, our coaches are not idiots.

No, I agree, I'm not primarily talking about adjustments, though it is his responsibility to make sure that the adjustments are sound. My point is that whether it has to do with developing a great game plan ahead of time(including adjustments..."if they do this, we are going to do that"), getting the team mentally and physically ready for a game, just total overall preparation, that is all on the HC even if his Staff isn't getting it done because that too, is his responsibility.

We can't point to a Coordinator or a Position Coach and say that they are doing a horrible job, because they serve in that position at the pleasure of the HC. Bear Bryant had a great quote on this years ago, "If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you."
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:40:36 pm
No, I agree, I'm not primarily talking about adjustments, though it is his responsibility to make sure that the adjustments are sound. My point is that whether it has to do with developing a great game plan ahead of time(including adjustments..."if they do this, we are going to do that"), getting the team mentally and physically ready for a game, just total overall preparation, that is all on the HC even if his Staff isn't getting it done because that too, is his responsibility.

We can't point to a Coordinator or a Position Coach and say that they are doing a horrible job, because they serve in that position at the pleasure of the HC. Bear Bryant had a great quote on this years ago, "If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you."

Well..... he was Arkansas born & raised, what did you expect?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 26, 2017, 04:12:24 pm
Do you think the interceptions and fumbles had nothing to do with coaching?

Do you think coaching had nothing to do with losing a 24-0 halftime lead in the Belk Bowl?
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:17:43 pm

According to the player that grew up in my house, there was not an offensive scheme, offensive formation, defensive scheme, blitz package, or coverage in the Missouri game or Belk Bowl that had either not been seen on film or prepped for on the board and practice field.  Fans can blame the coaches all they want, but no coach missed a tackle, took a bad angle, put a ball on the ground, missed a block, missed an audible call, threw a pick, or did anything else on the field to cause those losses.  I've mentioned in other posts that I sat on 4th row in Charlotte and heard over and over just about every coach yelling "don't panic", "they are not doing anything we haven't seen", "stick to the plan".  Adjustments made by the other teams were anticipated.  The players didn't get it done.  That's not player bashing.  That's their words from right after the game back in the Hilton lobby, to this day.  It's also a major contributor to the increased level of intensity this off season.  The players like their current coaching staff.  They realize if they want to keep them, they better show up this fall. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

"According to the player that grew up in my house, there was not an offensive scheme, offensive formation, defensive scheme, blitz package, or coverage in the Missouri game or Belk Bowl that had either not been seen on film or prepped for on the board and practice field.  Fans can blame the coaches all they want, but no coach missed a tackle, took a bad angle, put a ball on the ground, missed a block, missed an audible call, threw a pick, or did anything else on the field to cause those losses.  I've mentioned in other posts that I sat on 4th row in Charlotte and heard over and over just about every coach yelling "don't panic", "they are not doing anything we haven't seen", "stick to the plan".  Adjustments made by the other teams were anticipated.  The players didn't get it done.  That's not player bashing.  That's their words from right after the game back in the Hilton lobby, to this day.  It's also a major contributor to the increased level of intensity this off season.  The players like their current coaching staff.  They realize if they want to keep them, they better show up this fall." 

Fan, I understand that, I was just speaking from the perspective of being a Coach. That is just how it goes and the way that any decent and respectable HC sees it. I'm sure that is how Bielema views it as well. Just like any good Manager of people. When you have failures you take the blame, when you have victories, you spread the credit around so that it is a "team win".
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on June 26, 2017, 05:00:53 pm
No one in here is questioning how the players felt about their play in those games, or whether they like the current coaches on staff.  It's good to hear you're seeing an increased level of intensity this off-season (I would ask where that's been all this time though?). 

But you're correct in that fans can indeed blame the coaches all they want... it is without question the coaching staff's responsibility to prepare a team, but to also manage their mindset during the games... particularly in moments of adversity. 
I'm not sure if "don't panic" isn't code for "holy crap, I'm panicking".  I'm trying to envision Saban/Harbaugh/Patterson/Shaw etc talking to their players in the context of "don't panic" in the middle of a game. 

It is in those moments when a HC earns the rare-air salaries paid out in this conference... or he doesn't. 

I guess they should have said, "trust the process", lol.

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:40:36 pm

There was a thread not long ago where FOTH said the coaches were telling the players something to this affect "They are doing exactly what we said they would do. They are doing what the film said they would do. We have practiced for this, just execute the game plan". To me, that indicates that we don't have a problem with game planning. I am not disagreeing with the fact that the HC is ultimately responsible, I am only pointing out that "adjustments" is not one of the weaknesses of our coaching staff, because that is what some on here are claiming.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:52:21 pm
According to the player that grew up in my house, there was not an offensive scheme, offensive formation, defensive scheme, blitz package, or coverage in the Missouri game or Belk Bowl that had either not been seen on film or prepped for on the board and practice field.  Fans can blame the coaches all they want, but no coach missed a tackle, took a bad angle, put a ball on the ground, missed a block, missed an audible call, threw a pick, or did anything else on the field to cause those losses.  I've mentioned in other posts that I sat on 4th row in Charlotte and heard over and over just about every coach yelling "don't panic", "they are not doing anything we haven't seen", "stick to the plan".  Adjustments made by the other teams were anticipated.  The players didn't get it done.  That's not player bashing.  That's their words from right after the game back in the Hilton lobby, to this day.  It's also a major contributor to the increased level of intensity this off season.  The players like their current coaching staff.  They realize if they want to keep them, they better show up this fall. 

Fan, I understand that, I was just speaking from the perspective of being a Coach. That is just how it goes and the way that any decent and respectable HC sees it. I'm sure that is how Bielema views it as well. Just like any good Manager of people. When you have failures you take the blame, when you have victories, you spread the credit around so that it is a "team win".

Wasn't contradicting you at all.  The HC thinks it's his fault, the coordinators think it's theirs.  Same with the position coaches.  I just meant to say that the players put it totally on their own shoulders.  They were prepared, but didn't get it done.  The coaching staff was sick and felt they should have done more, but I don't see what else they could do.  It's frustrating for fans, but even more so for the AD, staff, and players.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

gchamblee

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 26, 2017, 04:46:56 pm

This is what I was referring to. We have our problems under this staff, but coaching/adjustments is not one of them. They are obviously in the know of what to expect from the opponent and game plan accordingly. I think it is boneheaded to accuse this staff of lacking football intelligence. Your opinions and insight are a valuable asset to this board and I am grateful that you take the time to post here.

FANONTHEHILL

No one in here is questioning how the players felt about their play in those games, or whether they like the current coaches on staff.  It's good to hear you're seeing an increased level of intensity this off-season (I would ask where that's been all this time though?). 

But you're correct in that fans can indeed blame the coaches all they want... it is without question the coaching staff's responsibility to prepare a team, but to also manage their mindset during the games... particularly in moments of adversity. 
I'm not sure if "don't panic" isn't code for "holy crap, I'm panicking".  I'm trying to envision Saban/Harbaugh/Patterson/Shaw etc talking to their players in the context of "don't panic" in the middle of a game. 

It is in those moments when a HC earns the rare-air salaries paid out in this conference... or he doesn't. 

Part of the philosophy is, for lack of s better term, "being able to take a punch". In every game, when you face the level of competition that Arkansas does almost every week, there will be a big play.  A special teams play, a turnover, a big offensive play.  How you respond in the next five minutes determines whether or not you can compete.  Sometimes you have to stop the snowball before it starts rolling down hill.  They didn't do that last year.  That's what the staff is trying to communicate.  I am hopeful, but hope gets you nothing.  They have to show all of us that they have learned there lessons.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 05:07:48 pm
There was a thread not long ago where FOTH said the coaches were telling the players something to this affect "They are doing exactly what we said they would do. They are doing what the film said they would do. We have practiced for this, just execute the game plan". To me, that indicates that we don't have a problem with game planning. I am not disagreeing with the fact that the HC is ultimately responsible, I am only pointing out that "adjustments" is not one of the weaknesses of our coaching staff, because that is what some on here are claiming.

I'm aware of that and I had heard that before but again, that isn't what I am speaking to. I'll guarantee you that in meetings after that game was over, the coaching staff did a self critique and questioned themselves as to what they missed, what they didn't do, to get the players minds right so that they could execute what was prepared for them and what they were coached to do in the game plan. Any coaching staff worth their salt does this with any big loss, it's just standard. I know that this staff did that too and I am sure that they were pulling their hair out trying to figure out why the kids mindset kept them from executing and not going into panic mode. It's purely speculation but it might have been derived from the player leadership going into panic mode instead of staying calm and telling team mates, "it's o.k., we've got this, just execute". But again, that's just speculation based solely on my personal experience.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 05:21:13 pm
I'm aware of that and I had heard that before but again, that isn't what I am speaking to. I'll guarantee you that in meetings after that game was over, the coaching staff did a self critique and questioned themselves as to what they missed, what they didn't do, to get the players minds right so that they could execute what was prepared for them and what they were coached to do in the game plan. Any coaching staff worth their salt does this with any big loss, it's just standard. I know that this staff did that too and I am sure that they were pulling their hair out trying to figure out why the kids mindset kept them from executing and not going into panic mode. It's purely speculation but it might have been derived from the player leadership going into panic mode instead of staying calm and telling team mates, "it's o.k., we've got this, just execute". But again, that's just speculation based solely on my personal experience.

CENTER OF THE BULLSEYE

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 05:21:13 pm

Yep, that sounds like a reasonable guess.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 05:31:06 pm
Yep, that sounds like a reasonable guess.

As you know, when things are unexpectedly going down the crapper, if you as a leader don't remain calm and you lose your head and don't stick to the plan, others who you are supposed to lead, will follow.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 26, 2017, 05:20:56 pm
Part of the philosophy is, for lack of s better term, "being able to take a punch". In every game, when you face the level of competition that Arkansas does almost every week, there will be a big play.  A special teams play, a turnover, a big offensive play.  How you respond in the next five minutes determines whether or not you can compete.  Sometimes you have to stop the snowball before it starts rolling down hill.  They didn't do that last year.  That's what the staff is trying to communicate.  I am hopeful, but hope gets you nothing.  They have to show all of us that they have learned there lessons.

Talent and athleticism are one thing, but the six inches between the ears is sometimes the most important distance on the field.  Expecting bad things to happen can become a habit and vice versa.  We looked like team waiting for the other shoe to drop a lot last year.  Not sure why, but hopefully we'll have some leaders emerge this year who will change that. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 26, 2017, 05:39:47 pm
Talent and athleticism are one thing, but the six inches between the ears is sometimes the most important distance on the field.  Expecting bad things to happen can become a habit and vice versa.  We looked like team waiting for the other shoe to drop a lot last year.  Not sure why, but hopefully we'll have some leaders emerge this year who will change that. 

That's right. No killer instinct. We had teams down and let them get back up instead of continuing to play as we had, step on their necks, go for the jugular and put them away. Sometimes a lack of experience, sometimes a lack of leadership, sometimes a lack of mental toughness, sometimes, all three. Mature, confident, mentally tough teams with excellent SR/JR leadership put other teams away.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 26, 2017, 01:41:41 pm
Are the message board postings of a spurned fan bar really the way to judge the job a coach did?  It was a mixed bag over there just as it would be here in a similar situation.

I wouldn't base anything off of what people post on a message board, Twitter, or Facebook; 100% of the people who bother to post their thoughts are convinced they have an opinion that is worthy of consideration, and 75% of them are wrong. It doesn't take very long to separate the wheat from the chaff.

gchamblee

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 26, 2017, 05:54:56 pm
I wouldn't base anything off of what people post on a message board, Twitter, or Facebook; 100% of the people who bother to post their thoughts are convinced they have an opinion that is worthy of consideration, and 75% of them are wrong. It doesn't take very long to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Im man enough to admit that I am probably in that 75%

rhames

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 26, 2017, 05:54:56 pm

Very true. At least some of us are self aware.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

WilsonHog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 06:16:01 pm

Consider this.

We have posters who have special knowledge because they have covered the Razorbacks for years, because they have sons who play for the Hogs, or because they actually played college football (in some cases, for the Razorbacks). Those are the people whose takes I always look for first.

When you take those people out of the equation, the remainder of the posters (me included) basically are people who don't necessarily have any specialized knowledge and whose "standing" to voice their opinion is based on the fact that they are Razorback fans. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, but for those of us who are on the outside of the program, there are only so many possible takes to have. As a result, our takes tend to be rudimentary and (because they are all we have) we tend to want to defend them like our personal honor was at stake. All that becomes is useless noise.     

LZH

Dammit man....I've been too busy. I've missed a whole lot of low-blow opportunities.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 26, 2017, 06:36:00 pm
Consider this.

We have posters who have special knowledge because they have covered the Razorbacks for years, because they have sons who play for the Hogs, or because they actually played college football (in some cases, for the Razorbacks). Those are the people whose takes I always look for first.

When you take those people out of the equation, the remainder of the posters (me included) basically are people who don't necessarily have any specialized knowledge and whose "standing" to voice their opinion is based on the fact that they are Razorback fans. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, but for those of us who are on the outside of the program, there are only so many possible takes to have. As a result, our takes tend to be rudimentary and (because they are all we have) we tend to want to defend them like our personal honor was at stake. All that becomes is useless noise.     

Aside from those whose obvious intent is to create drama, I tend to believe most poster's opinions are valid.  That doesn't make them correct. 

I'd like to see more lurkers who express themselves as well as 49ers join the conversations.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on June 26, 2017, 07:01:37 pm
Dammit man....I've been too busy. I've missed a whole lot of low-blow opportunities.

Slacker ...

LZH

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Athog

Quote from: Hogs run wild on June 25, 2017, 10:01:24 am
coach speak to give the fans what they want to hear. i want to see it on the field.

Not really! Most coaches will not acknowledge that fact. However most fans react the way you did anyway.

PonderinHog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 26, 2017, 06:16:01 pm
Well, I'm probably in that other 45%.

Pork Twain

Quote from: LZH on June 26, 2017, 07:01:37 pm
Your blows are always low.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

tampahog

Assuming what I'm reading in this thread is true and neither Mizzou nor VT made any adjustments that we didn't expect, then I see both good and bad in that.  Good news is that our team was technically prepared and nothing they did scheme wise took us off guard.  Bad news in that both teams were able to completely change the momentum of the game and close sizable leads by capitalizing on our mistakes and just simply raising their game rather than making material adjustments to their game plan and we were flat footed and did nothing about it.  What I noticed in both of those games was that both Odom and Fuente huddled their teams on the field right at the end of the first half and while I don't know what was said, I'm sure it was something along the lines of "Men, we've taken their best punch and it's our time now, we are still very much in this, etc...".  In both cases, I told my wife "this game isn't over yet" and she thought I was crazy.  I'm a big CBB supporter and I do believe his approach to building our program (a roster of upperclassmen over star power) is a formula that will eventually work here and I very much want him to succeed.  This program needs coaching stability in the worst way.  CBB is the CEO coach that we always wanted back in the days when HDN thought he was the best OC around and CBP put most if not all of his focus on the offense.  What CBB seems to be lacking is the ability to react to the emotional and momentum shifts that occur on the battlefield and rally the troops mentally when it counts most. It's almost like he takes an "all business NFL style" approach to the college game which is great in most ways but sometimes with young kids, you can't wait on your veterans to lead.  Sometimes the coach has to win the hearts and minds of his team and lead in times of adversity otherwise you will always lose some games you should have won.  I really hope he succeeds here.         

aloha_kid

Quote from: GuvHog on June 25, 2017, 08:09:29 am
Yes. It was a valid excuse the first 3 years but not any more.

I would say the CBP fiasco then the CJLS implosion was, for an SEC team, akin to a severe NCAA punishment.  Now, last years final two games, were inexcusable. 

MuskogeeHogFan

June 27, 2017, 08:16:28 am #187 Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:35:08 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: tampahog on June 27, 2017, 07:21:12 am
Assuming what I'm reading in this thread is true and neither Mizzou nor VT made any adjustments that we didn't expect, then I see both good and bad in that.  Good news is that our team was technically prepared and nothing they did scheme wise took us off guard.  Bad news in that both teams were able to completely change the momentum of the game and close sizable leads by capitalizing on our mistakes and just simply raising their game rather than making material adjustments to their game plan and we were flat footed and did nothing about it.  What I noticed in both of those games was that both Odom and Fuente huddled their teams on the field right at the end of the first half and while I don't know what was said, I'm sure it was something along the lines of "Men, we've taken their best punch and it's our time now, we are still very much in this, etc...".  In both cases, I told my wife "this game isn't over yet" and she thought I was crazy.  I'm a big CBB supporter and I do believe his approach to building our program (a roster of upperclassmen over star power) is a formula that will eventually work here and I very much want him to succeed.  This program needs coaching stability in the worst way.  CBB is the CEO coach that we always wanted back in the days when HDN thought he was the best OC around and CBP put most if not all of his focus on the offense.  What CBB seems to be lacking is the ability to react to the emotional and momentum shifts that occur on the battlefield and rally the troops mentally when it counts most. It's almost like he takes an "all business NFL style" approach to the college game which is great in most ways but sometimes with young kids, you can't wait on your veterans to lead.  Sometimes the coach has to win the hearts and minds of his team and lead in times of adversity otherwise you will always lose some games you should have won.  I really hope he succeeds here.         

The Staff attempted to rally the troops and encouraged them to just stick to the plan, execute the schemes on both sides of the ball. Meanwhile it seems that the Senior leadership (at least some of them) weren't listening or leading in a positive way, at least that is according to what I have been told and I understand.

How did this happen? I'm not certain. I know that when negative attitudes develop inside a team and especially "if" it involves Sr. leadership, and I say "if" because I am not certain, but if that occurs it tends to grow like a cancer and can spread throughout a team.

The mystery of it all is why it happened. After the embarrassing beat down at Auburn, if something like this were going to occur you might think that is where the foundation was laid.

But after a two week lay off, they came back and beat #11 Florida like red headed stepchildren. That should have been enough of a lift to overcome anything negative that might have started to take root.

But then the next week, LSU does the same thing to us that we did to Florida...another negative.

Then the next week on the road in Starkville we beat Miss State 58-42. Another positive. Did that give us a lift? It should have.

But then everything comes crashing down at Missouri which had to be disastrous from a mental standpoint for the team, but to have a month to recover and refocus, the same thing happened against Va Tech. Neither of those games should have been losses.

You would have to be on the team or associated with the team in some way to know what really happened. I have a theory but I don't know. I just know that it was horrible for the team and I hope that whatever it was, it has been addressed and the problem solved. The team can't go into 2017 with something like this still lurking in the back of their minds.
Go Hogs Go!

The OTR

I think CBB is saying, and I agree, that we are about to go on a winning streak this season that is going to surprise some of you boys.  I have a feeling this is a ten win team at the very minimum. 

gchamblee

When asked a question by someone in the media, I am not sure what type of response you guys expect our coach to give. This seemed like a good response to me. It addressed complaints coming from the fanbase, it gave some insight into how they are preparing for this season and had an optimistic tone to it. I am ok with that type of answer. It is better than "We didn't really learn anything last year and we are just going to come out and play the games and see what happens. We don't expect much but we are going to try as hard as we can".

The NewEra

The way this team has handled themselves in the off season since the Belk Bowl speaks volumes to me, in that the coaches and the players recognized the problems inside their inner circle and have successfully addressed them.  It isn't fall camp yet, but since the first of the year I don't remember one instance of a player incident with the law (knock on wood).  Through Spring, not to have one instance of a player being late for a workout seems pretty incredible to me when you consider there are a little over 100 of them.  Head coaches are and should be held accountable for the performance on and off the field of their teams.  That doesn't mean the players are without accountability and responsibility though.  As I sit here today it appears the coaches and the team are much more advanced mentally than we've seen in the past several years.  Logic tells me that accountability and responsibility attitude should transition over to the football field.

Muskogee didn't want to openly speculate on the problems inside the program last year and I respect that.  But, I know nothing about the inside of the program and having said that, as an outside observer of the program I do have an opinion I'll share.  I think we had a handful of players on the team last year that thought they should be playing more and were causing dissent inside the locker room.  I strongly suspect one of them was a fast, thin receiver who seemed to always be a me me guy.  On the defensive side of the ball I believe that Rob Smith had zero respect from those players.  They didn't trust his scheme and didn't believe in what he was asking them to do.  There were guys like Agim who should have played much more than he did and when a team sees that it affects the overall attitude of that entire side of the ball.  With Paul Rhodes as the DC and the new hires brought in I think that situation has been resolved.  Obviously this is nothing more than speculation on my part. 

My point is, I think Bielema and the players have addressed the issues that have plagued this team in the past in that critical six inches between the ears.  They've addressed the deficiency we had in coaching the D-side of the ball.  That alone gives me high hopes we see a breakout year. 

I hope the naysayers will forgive me if I don't want to dwell on the past.  As an optimist I recognize the past and look toward the future.

For me 7-5 this year would be mediocre, 8-4 would be a good year, 9-3 would mean the program has cleared a major hurdle.  We need 9-3 for Bielema to start landing some of the 4-5* recruits he's previously missed on.  His recruiting has been good, but 9-3 should take us to another level.  #WPS

gchamblee

Quote from: The NewEra on June 27, 2017, 10:09:41 am
The way this team has handled themselves in the off season since the Belk Bowl speaks volumes to me, in that the coaches and the players recognized the problems inside their inner circle and have successfully addressed them.  It isn't fall camp yet, but since the first of the year I don't remember one instance of a player incident with the law (knock on wood).  Through Spring, not to have one instance of a player being late for a workout seems pretty incredible to me when you consider there are a little over 100 of them.  Head coaches are and should be held accountable for the performance on and off the field of their teams.  That doesn't mean the players are without accountability and responsibility though.  As I sit here today it appears the coaches and the team are much more advanced mentally than we've seen in the past several years.  Logic tells me that accountability and responsibility attitude should transition over to the football field.

Muskogee didn't want to openly speculate on the problems inside the program last year and I respect that.  But, I know nothing about the inside of the program and having said that, as an outside observer of the program I do have an opinion I'll share.  I think we had a handful of players on the team last year that thought they should be playing more and were causing dissent inside the locker room.  I strongly suspect one of them was a fast, thin receiver who seemed to always be a me me guy.  On the defensive side of the ball I believe that Rob Smith had zero respect from those players.  They didn't trust his scheme and didn't believe in what he was asking them to do.  There were guys like Agim who should have played much more than he did and when a team sees that it affects the overall attitude of that entire side of the ball.  With Paul Rhodes as the DC and the new hires brought in I think that situation has been resolved.  Obviously this is nothing more than speculation on my part. 

My point is, I think Bielema and the players have addressed the issues that have plagued this team in the past in that critical six inches between the ears.  They've addressed the deficiency we had in coaching the D-side of the ball.  That alone gives me high hopes we see a breakout year. 

I hope the naysayers will forgive me if I don't want to dwell on the past.  As an optimist I recognize the past and look toward the future.

For me 7-5 this year would be mediocre, 8-4 would be a good year, 9-3 would mean the program has cleared a major hurdle.  We need 9-3 for Bielema to start landing some of the 4-5* recruits he's previously missed on.  His recruiting has been good, but 9-3 should take us to another level.  #WPS

Good post

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on June 27, 2017, 08:32:36 am
I think CBB is saying, and I agree, that we are about to go on a winning streak this season that is going to surprise some of you boys.  I have a feeling this is a ten win team at the very minimum. 

+10000  :D

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 26, 2017, 05:07:54 pm
The HC thinks it's his fault, the coordinators think it's theirs.  Same with the position coaches.  I just meant to say that the players put it totally on their own shoulders.  They were prepared, but didn't get it done. The coaching staff was sick and felt they should have done more, but I don't see what else they could do.  It's frustrating for fans, but even more so for the AD, staff, and players.

FAN, as always, appreciate your insight. This post—and your posts before this—are good to hear. Not that there's anything especially "good" about dissecting losses, but more the fact that EVERYONE is taking responsibility.

We had some really bad losses last year, some of the worst ever, but I doubt many Hog fans had seen anything like those last 2 back-to-back games, and how they went down. With the way we lost them—being dominant, then letting the other guys go on unanswered scoring runs—made my blame fall on the side of the coaching staff. Maybe it's just intuitive, or, when we all say "meltdown" it sounds like a singular thing, a mental thing, that somehow (almost mystically, magically) can be controlled by our coaches. But those last 2 halves of football were not singular. As FAN points out, they're made up of dozens of plays where blocking needs to happen, tackling needs to happen, coverages need to be recognized, and so on.

What you said about the players' more urgent approach this Spring is significant. Because for me—not that my mental state matters—those 2 games just seem to still be hanging around. But if they serve as an extra motivator to the coaches AND players, that's about the only positive that you can ask for to come from them.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hog N Bama

Quote from: The NewEra on June 26, 2017, 10:28:18 am
I agree with your assessment.  In my opinion this is a lack of leadership at critical positions on the team.  With the exception of J. Will - B. Allen, Hunter Henry & Trey Flowers, Bielema didn't inherit much in the way of true leaders.  Hopefully the guys we have on this team now are the type of leaders we need to get us over the hump in critical situations in those close games.  I'm confident he has more physical talent and a higher caliber athlete than what he inherited.

Certainly there are a lot of other components, i.e., poor coaches (Cheney & Rob Smith) who didn't utilize the talent they had in a way to maximize them.  Pittman who wasn't doing as well at recruiting as we had been led to believe.  I feel good with our offense being in Enos hands, so that is a team strength.  Now if Rhodes does what we all hope and shores the other side of the ball up we should be pretty good this year.

There's no doubt that Bielema has experienced his own growth curve and was caught off guard by the level of talent across the board in the SEC West, in particular.  He's a smart guy and a good coach.  I do hope he makes the strides this year to take the program to another level.  I too am becoming frustrated in coming up short when victory is so close.

As Muskogee said.  This is a critical year.
I hope he read your post just in case he runs short on excuses

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hog N Bama on June 27, 2017, 05:57:27 pm
I hope he read your post just in case he runs short on excuses

Posts that actually have truth in them are just "low hanging fruit" for some of you guys who just want to take a shot at Bielema. I hope Bielema, for the good of the Arkansas football program, makes you guys who do this, eat your words.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 27, 2017, 06:06:07 pm
Posts that actually have truth in them are just "low hanging fruit" for some of you guys who just want to take a shot at Bielema. I hope Bielema, for the good of the Arkansas football program, makes you guys who do this, eat your words.

Me too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

luke hawg

It could also be really simple. We had a subpar defense with a green offensive line and first year quarterback that didn't take care of the ball in crucial moments. A strong leader at quarterback is huge for overcoming adversity. Austin has a lot of talent but leadership skills on the field and the sideline are areas for improvement. If he makes a huge jump this season, we will be a very good football team.

wachhog

Whoever thought it was a good idea to "dramatically change everything they (previously a top five team) were doing everything they'd recruited" needed to hand his head examined. And BB's record here proves it. That kind of talk after 4 years  just makes Long look stupid.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 26, 2017, 07:08:17 pm
Aside from those whose obvious intent is to create drama, I tend to believe most poster's opinions are valid.  That doesn't make them correct. 

I'd like to see more lurkers who express themselves as well as 49ers join the conversations.

I will try to join in on the conversation more this year, but I just get so damn frustrated with some posters and I feel like the best thing to do is just keep my mouth shut and stick to posting in EI.  They created a culture over there that turned me from a lurker to quite a regular poster this year.  I would like to see that (to an extent) happen here, but I realize that it is much more difficult with so many more posters in MMQB.

The post directly above me is the perfect example of my frustration, and I just do not have the energy to deal with it right now haha.
SCREW Vandy!