Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN FPI Predicts Arkansas's 2017 Football Season

Started by Youngsta71701, June 17, 2017, 06:44:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigeasyhog

Speaking of Long pulling out his list, when he decided he had no other remedies but to fire Petrino, and put a band aid on the season with a ten month contract to Smiley; who was on his list after 2012? Or was it always Bielema and his "love letter " that Long went with? That's what I'm curious about; who were the candidates interviewed after the '12 season?

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 02, 2017, 06:51:42 pm

He wasn't pressured to hire Bobby. He didn't really believe Bobby wanted the job until Bobby's lawyer/agent (Bobby usually acts as his own in most cases) got in touch with long.

It wasn't the "PTB" that forced long to hire Anderson. It was a movement of former players that said it would be the best hire and convinced long they were right.

Jeff Long himself stated recently in an article that he was pressured to hire Bobby Petrino and he regrets caving in to the pressure.

The PTB was involved in pressuring Long to hire Mike Anderson. Had Jeff Long not offered Mike the head Hog job, he would have been run out of town a long time ago. There was never a legit coaching search after Pel's termination. Mike was the sole target and Jeff Long was given no other choice.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 03, 2017, 08:53:00 am
Jeff Long himself stated recently in an article that he was pressured to hire Bobby Petrino and he regrets caving in to the pressure.

The PTB was involved in pressuring Long to hire Mike Anderson. Had Jeff Long not offered Mike the head Hog job, he would have been run out of town a long time ago. There was never a legit coaching search after Pel's termination. Mike was the sole target and Jeff Long was given no other choice.

No. He didn't say that. He actually took full responsibility for the hire in the article you're talking about.

And no about mike. But continue to make stuff up.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

What Long actually said was...

At the SEC spring meetings in Destin, Florida this week, radio host Bo Mattingly caught up with Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long and asked him if he had "one biggest regret" during his almost 10 years in charge of the Razorbacks.

"Probably one," Long told Mattingly. "Probably that I compromised what I believed in because I thought a certain kind of coach needed to be in this conference to compete.

"So it's a regret of myself and not living true to my values and what I believe in."

Without saying so directly, Long is obviously referencing his decision to hire Bobby Petrino as head football coach in 2007.

http://gridironnow.com/arkansas-ad-jeff-long-regret-hiring-bobby-petrino-sounds-like-it/
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 03, 2017, 09:50:27 am

At the SEC spring meetings in Destin, Florida this week, radio host Bo Mattingly caught up with Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long and asked him if he had "one biggest regret" during his almost 10 years in charge of the Razorbacks.

"Probably one," Long told Mattingly. "Probably that I compromised what I believed in because I thought a certain kind of coach needed to be in this conference to compete.

"So it's a regret of myself and not living true to my values and what I believe in."

Without saying so directly, Long is obviously referencing his decision to hire Bobby Petrino as head football coach in 2007.

http://gridironnow.com/arkansas-ad-jeff-long-regret-hiring-bobby-petrino-sounds-like-it/

We may not always agree but I sure do appreciate you always bringing facts.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 03, 2017, 09:50:27 am

That doesn't necessarily indicate he was pressured into the Petrino hire. Had we won 45-55 games over the past five years with him, he'd have never made that comment.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on July 03, 2017, 10:41:20 am
That doesn't necessarily indicate he was pressured into the Petrino hire. Had we won 45-55 games over the past five years with him, he'd have never made that comment.

I wasn't saying that he was pressured. I was responding to Guv indicating that he was pressured.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 03, 2017, 10:53:37 am
I wasn't saying that he was pressured. I was responding to Guv indicating that he was pressured.

He was pressured, there's no doubt about it. The guy virtually ignored Petrino, who was practically beginning to interview for the job, while trying to hire 2 other coaches. One he was told unofficially not to bother recommending to the board and the other changed his mind while in route to Fayetteville to accept the job. Jeff Long didn't want to hire Petrino but followed his marching orders..

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 03, 2017, 11:45:01 am
He was pressured, there's no doubt about it. The guy virtually ignored Petrino, who was practically beginning to interview for the job, while trying to hire 2 other coaches. One he was told unofficially not to bother recommending to the board and the other changed his mind while in route to Fayetteville to accept the job. Jeff Long didn't want to hire Petrino but followed his marching orders..

You really don't know if he was pressured or not.  He could have been, but it's pure speculation on your part.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 03, 2017, 11:46:43 am
You really don't know if he was pressured or not.  He could have been, but it's pure speculation on your part.

No, it's not just speculation. As I've stated before, I have a friend who is a former BOT member.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 03, 2017, 11:49:57 am
No, it's not just speculation. As I've stated before, I have a friend who is a former BOT member.

Oh God, another Guv tale.

Well, let's hear it then.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Sure ya do.

The BOT doesn't meddle in the football program. That's why we have an athletic director. They are more concerned with academics as they should be.

That may have been the case in the past but not now..

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 03, 2017, 11:50:15 am
Oh God, another Guv tale.

Well, let's hear it then.

He was formerly the President of Simmons First National Bank now retired for medical reasons (he has ALS). His name is Tommy May.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2017, 06:48:03 pm
Jeff Long was pressured into hiring Bobby Petrino and he was force fed Mike Anderson like a baby in a high chair.  He caved in to the pressure both times and he'll cave again if pressured to do so.

I have learned one thing about you, and it is that you have no idea what you are talking about. You will even make crap up to sound credible.

gchamblee

Lol dude, when you are reading an article, do you read it with your words or the words that were actually in the article? It is like you decide what you want it to say, and then read it to yourself with words that makes you hear exactly what you wanted it to say. It hilarious watching you reference articles/interviews as your source of your made up crap haha.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 03, 2017, 11:51:36 am

Sure ya do.

The BOT doesn't meddle in the football program. That's why we have an athletic director. They are more concerned with academics as they should be.

That may have been the case in the past but not now..

Yes they have and still do. I've given you my source.

Heck, with the backing of the BOT, John White actually took hiring and firing power away from Frank Broyles and took control of the mens basketball program away from him too.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: yraciv on June 20, 2017, 01:35:11 pm
Here are the actual percentages. We're favored to win 5,  but we're the overwhelming favorite in 3 of those.  Some games are closer to a coin flip, which makes 6-6 or 7-5 more likely.  And I'm not buying the TCU or South Carolina favorites, and I just think we're due against A&M. I'm optimistic enough to go with 8-4.
Record   Likelihood
12-0   0.0014%
11-1   0.05%
10-2   0.55%
9-3   3.31%
8-4   11.21%
7-5   22.86%
6-6   28.69%
5-7   21.80%
4-8   9.42%
3-9   1.97%
2-10   0.13%
1-11   0.0027%
0-12   0.000007%

If I read this right the best % is at 6-6 which is about. 29%?  Is this like betting $5 and get $7 back?

I am not a betting man but for those who think we will win 9 games could win a butt load of money if they had the manhood to wager the money. 

I think many Hog Fans are like most fans this time of year and are very optimistic going into the season but if they had to put money on their optimistism then they would get more realistic.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 03, 2017, 01:31:51 pm
Yes they have and still do. I've given you my source.

Heck, with the backing of the BOT, John White actually took hiring and firing power away from Frank Broyles and took control of the mens basketball program away from him too.

Yeah guv........yeah

LZH

Good Lord Guv....I had steak and a beer with a cat I could just say right after he handed off that note that he wished he hadn't had to do it. It was his decision, he was NOT pressured into it. Fat boys like winning.

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on July 03, 2017, 09:17:01 pm
Good Lord Guv....I had steak and a beer with a cat I could just say right after he handed off that note that he wished he hadn't had to do it. It was his decision, he was NOT pressured into it. Fat boys like winning.

No. it wasn't Jeff's decision nor was hiring Mike Anderson.

sowmonella

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 09:06:26 am
No. it wasn't Jeff's decision nor was hiring Mike Anderson.

I'm sorry but you are wrong.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GuvHog

southeasthog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 10:30:09 am
No, I'm quite correct.

Or maybe, just maybe, you are remembering it just like you remember other things.

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 02:51:22 pm
I remember that play well because I was sitting in the middle of section 102 about half way up. After the play Mustain was frantically trying to explain to Gus what happened but Gus just shook his head very strongly and pointed with emphasis toward the bench. I felt bad for Mitch. I wasn't aware at the time, that Nutt had put Mustain on a short leash.

Quote from: rhames on June 30, 2017, 03:14:52 pm

You were in South Carolina for that game?

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 03:41:38 pm
I saw it on TV. My bad.

I do remember that play though.

GuvHog

Quote from: southeasthog on July 05, 2017, 06:10:20 am

Or maybe, just maybe, you are remembering it just like you remember other things.

No, I have a very reliable source as I stated earlier in this thread.

DLUXHOG

August 03, 2017, 05:39:54 pm #224 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:27:46 pm by DLUXHOG
Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 02, 2017, 06:07:25 pm
And..... what if they go undefeated?   Not saying they will, but not one game of the 2017 season has been yet played, and..... anything is possible.   So if they go undefeated, will you, and all the other pissers and moaners on here rapel from the top of Hawksbill Crag down to the Buffalo River?  You guys could make it a team event....

hmmmmm..... no takers yet.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

EulessHog

We will see very early in the season how Bielema is doing.

We are just as likely to go 4 and 8 as we are 8 and 4.  The games that will make for the difference are TCU, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Mississippi and possibly Mississippi State. 

Other games are near certain wins (Florida A&M, NM State, Coastal and Missouri) and near certain losses (Alabama, LSU and Auburn).

If Bielema can make a difference, it will be early on with wins against TCU and Texas A&M (I'm going to the A&M game- yippeee!!!). 

Go Hogs Go!