Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Pearlman out as voice of the Razorbacks.....

Started by SPAL, June 13, 2017, 04:04:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Waldron_Hog

SPAL

I liked him. I thought he was very good. Didn't seem biased like some of the other SEC guys did.

jry04

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on June 13, 2017, 04:23:14 pm
Always seemed too happy to see the hogs fail.
To be fair, he was doing broadcasts on ESPN3, which are not only watched by Arkansas fans. It was as if he was auditioning for another job. I don't think he ever acted like he was happy the Hogs failed, but he also kept in mind that opposing fans were watching not wanting to hear a homer. We complain when opposing announcers sound like homers, but then get mad when our own isn't one. I enjoyed him doing homework on the other team and informing us of them. I saw he was on ESPNU one weekend doing a Cal State Fullerton game.

ricepig

Yeah, saw this yesterday when someone posted his tweet on it. I wasn't a fan of his, I expect the announcers to be biased to a degree on SEC Network+ games, so it doesn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/arperlman/status/874355215650230273

elksnort

I actually started to appreciate Alex Perlman. Best of luck to him in the future.

ThisTeetsTaken

Pearlman was easy to listen to which is about all you can ask for.  What made me laugh when he did the broadcast was all the baseball cliches.  He used them all and used them often.  For example, every routine fly ball to the outfield was a "can O corn".   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

TebowHater

Yeah agree with me. He was better than most of the other SEC Network feeds I watched by a lot. Having the same TV announcer for every game you do begin to wear out on the topics he would discuss, but that will happen to anyone.

factchecker

Scott Inman should be the first person called to fill the position.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rhog1

Quote from: factchecker on June 13, 2017, 05:20:52 pm
This was my very first thought as well.

ricepig

Scott left Channel 7 to have more regular hours with his kids, but he would be good.

AlmaHog2011

I liked Pearlman but would love for Inman to get that position.

JonClaudeVanHam

Was never a fan, but best of luck to the guy.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

micali

I'm glad. He wasn't enough of a Homer for me.

TebowHater

I think if Inman wanted the position he 100% was ahead in line originally and could have had it. Granted, his situation may have changed since then and might be more interested now.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 13, 2017, 07:02:13 pm
Was never a fan, but best of luck to the guy.
This was my take. He didn't suck, but he was not amazing. I grew tired of his continued baseball cliches. Just report the game, if I want to hear colorful descriptions of "wearing the collar" or "ducks on the pond" I'll watch the movie Major League. Ironically he had slowed down dramatically on that  in the last year. I would love Scott Inman, but am hoping against hope that we we don't give it over to Rick.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Kevin

Not a fan.  Not sure how much baseball knowledge he had. He would bring up some off the wall stuff
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Paul Westerhawg

It's Perlman. And he was never "The Voice of the Razorbacks." He was an internet and occasional tv play-by-play guy.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on June 13, 2017, 04:23:14 pm
Always seemed too happy to see the hogs fail.
translation: he wasn't an Uber homer.

jbell96

You guys roasting him and saying he sucks should listen to some of the other play by play guys on other SECN+ baseball broadcasts and then get back to me. I had to watch the Auburn series on mute their guys were so terrible. Not saying he was great, but he was a good hand, and better than most of the others I heard this season.

bighog2255

I thought he did a decent job. He was much better than his counterpart Eklund. That guy is awful. I don't want my announcers to be "homers"

JonClaudeVanHam

For the record, and I hope some agree with me, it was never Perlman's lack of "homer-ness" that bugged me about him; it was literally his calling of the game. He always seemed... Fake. Like he wasn't actually interested in the game at all behind this mask of a fifth grader's excitement. That's probably harsh, as I have no ill will. Probably just a case of his style and my taste not matching.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

dotnet

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on June 14, 2017, 09:05:12 am
For the record, and I hope some agree with me, it was never Perlman's lack of "homer-ness" that bugged me about him; it was literally his calling of the game. He always seemed... Fake. Like he wasn't actually interested in the game at all behind this mask of a fifth grader's excitement. That's probably harsh, as I have no ill will. Probably just a case of his style and my taste not matching.

Pearlman was not Al Michaels... but relative to the position and other team's guys, I had no negative feelings towards him. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: micali on June 13, 2017, 08:31:16 pm
I'm glad. He wasn't enough of a Homer for me.

I actually like it when a broadcaster will tell the obvious truth about a team or what is happening in the game at the time, no matter which team. As long as they aren't dogging any individual player.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 14, 2017, 09:34:41 am
I actually like it when a broadcaster will tell the obvious truth about a team or what is happening in the game at the time, no matter which team. As long as they aren't dogging any individual player.

That was the problem with Alex, he studied our opponents so well that he knew them better than our guys, lol.

Grizzlyfan

The "Voice of the Razorbacks" should be a voice for the Razorbacks.  If the SEC Network or ESPN wants neutral broadcasts they should hire their own crew. 

southarkhog06

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 09:49:06 am
That was the problem with Alex, he studied our opponents so well that he knew them better than our guys, lol.
yea God forbid a guy have professionalism and work ethic. Let's just hire a guy that knows knight can throw 97 and have him salivate into the microphone for 3 hours.

Edit: Perlman was nowhere near an elite or even great announcer, but he was well above average (even if his voice kind of irritated me). Did some of you guys not hear the broadcast teams from other schools???

jry04

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 14, 2017, 09:52:31 am
The "Voice of the Razorbacks" should be a voice for the Razorbacks.  If the SEC Network or ESPN wants neutral broadcasts they should hire their own crew. 
He isn't the voice of the Razorbacks, though. He was a talent provided by Arkansas, but not the voice of the Razorbacks. He was doing a broadcast for SECN/ESPN3, not something like Razorvision. I cannot tell you how many times I put on a random SEC matchup on ESPN3 just to watch a good baseball game. I would much rather hear neutral commentators than a homer for one team. I am sure fans of SEC baseball with no dog in the fight would enjoy our broadcast more with Perlman rather than a former player talking about how we are the best team ever. I hated when we played road games and had to watch the opponent's homers call games and stumble through talking about our players. Was he the best? No, but I would argue he was one of the best in the SEC. Like I said earlier, we cry when opposing announcers are huge homers, and then cry when our own aren't. It doesn't make much sense.

I mentioned it earlier, but Perlman was calling games on ESPNU towards the end of the season for non-Arkansas games, so he must have been doing something right.

ricepig

Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 14, 2017, 10:08:11 am
yea God forbid a guy have professionalism and work ethic. Let's just hire a guy that knows knight can throw 97 and have him salivate into the microphone for 3 hours.

Edit: Perlman was nowhere near an elite or even great announcer, but he was well above average (even if his voice kind of irritated me). Did some of you guys not hear the broadcast teams from other schools???

It's ok Mrs. Perlman, Alex will find another job. I don't think work ethic requires someone to tell me twice an inning that Rhode Island is located in Rhode Island and won their conference and is favored again this year. Once at the beginning, and maybe again in the 4th inning, but not when the come to bat every inning. You liked him, I didn't, seems like a simple concept to understand.

Kevin

he lacked the basics of baseball . he once called a foul ball out of bounds.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on June 14, 2017, 11:20:38 am
he lacked the basics of baseball . he once called a foul ball out of bounds.
That is a fair assessment. I get why people did not care for him. I personally just think anyone who didn't like him because they felt he was happy the Hogs failed is silly.

southarkhog06

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 10:45:19 am
It's ok Mrs. Perlman, Alex will find another job. I don't think work ethic requires someone to tell me twice an inning that Rhode Island is located in Rhode Island and won their conference and is favored again this year. Once at the beginning, and maybe again in the 4th inning, but not when the come to bat every inning. You liked him, I didn't, seems like a simple concept to understand.
I didn't mean to quote you, that was more for the ones that want a homer.

Still what are you looking for? This isnt Monday night football, it's a 6th or 7th tier broadcast job. You either get a greenhorn trying to get a start or someone that "loves the helmet".

ricepig

Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 14, 2017, 03:23:04 pm
I didn't mean to quote you, that was more for the ones that want a homer.

Still what are you looking for? This isnt Monday night football, it's a 6th or 7th tier broadcast job. You either get a greenhorn trying to get a start or someone that "loves the helmet".

Truthfully, I want a homer, professional, but a homer. I'm not 100% who paid his salary, but it was dependent on the University of Arkansas for the biggest part.

dotnet

I hope you guys are right... but compared to the other play by play guys I heard this year, you better watch what you hope for

ricepig

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 04:46:02 pm
I hope you guys are right... but compared to the other play by play guys I heard this year, you better watch what you hope for

There's always the mute button.........

dotnet

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 04:53:05 pm
There's always the mute button.........

I know.  Sounds like no one in this thread knew how to use it

thebignasty

I didnt care for Pearlman.  Doesnt mean much, there is a less than 5% chance Ill like whoever ESPN takes a flyer on for espn3 hog baseball broadcasts. 

Porked Tongue

To me, he seemed as if he was just punching a timecard knowing he wasn't a long term Arkansan.

PorcineSublime

Guess I was confused. I had him mixed up with our radio guy. In the words of Emily Latella, "Never mind"
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 03:42:24 pm
Truthfully, I want a homer, professional, but a homer. I'm not 100% who paid his salary, but it was dependent on the University of Arkansas for the biggest part.
Exactly.  If I turn on Fox Sport Southwest to watch the Rangers, or Fox Sports Southeast to watch the Braves, or Yes to watch the Yankees I know I'm going to get the team's announcing crew.  There is no doubt where their loyalties lie.  But they act professionally.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 14, 2017, 09:52:31 am
Bam Grizzly lays it out! EXACTLY it's a Razorback game and you work for the Razorbacks. Listen to Cardinals on the radio and you'll know how it's suppose to be. Yes he should be a homer.

Chuck Boarris

We Hog fans were spoiled to the great Paul Eells. I don't remember if he called baseball games, but it's hard to find someone we can all like after listening to him for many, many years. 

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Chuck Boarris on June 15, 2017, 11:05:32 am
We Hog fans were spoiled to the great Paul Eells. I don't remember if he called baseball games, but it's hard to find someone we can all like after listening to him for many, many years.

No, it was Chuck Bartlett that used to call our baseball games, in the era of the Razorback network (and "Razorvision") before the SEC Network. 

IMO, Baseball was Chuck's best call.  I was sorry to see him give it up.  I know there are some here who dislike him, but his baseball call was solid.

southarkhog06

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2017, 03:42:24 pm
we can agree to disagree.

southarkhog06

Quote from: dotnet on June 14, 2017, 04:46:02 pm
exactly, it's like we all just forgot listening to the Auburn or mizzou or A&M broadcasts.

rhog1

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 15, 2017, 11:16:54 am
No, it was Chuck Bartlett that used to call our baseball games, in the era of the Razorback network (and "Razorvision") before the SEC Network. 

IMO, Baseball was Chuck's best call.  I was sorry to see him give it up.  I know there are some here who dislike him, but his baseball call was solid.
Chuck is one of the best in calling baseball. I would rather him have given up calling football and stuck with baseball.