Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(6/19 update w/ESPN rankings) Reggie Perry is composite nat'l No. 14 / 5*

Started by Kevin McPherson, June 13, 2017, 03:26:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

According to 247Sports, who publishes the composite rankings (which are effectively an aggregate of all 4 of the major services, but not technically an average, which would be 16.5) ... Reggie is the composite national No. 14 prospect / a 5-star

UPDATED rankings through 6/19 ...

* ESPN ranking is No. 17 (a 5-star)
* Rivals ranking is No. 23 (a 5-star)
* Scout ranking is No. 14 (a 5-star)
* 247Sports ranking is No. 12 (a 5-star)

As I've stated in recent posts/threads, I believe RP belongs in the Top 10 (somewhere from No. 3 to No. 7) ... with a big July, I think he'll get there.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/874722290587623424

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/874723153427263489

NWAHog479

ESPN takes forever to update their numbers, but maybe the layoffs have hit the people that cover high school basketball. I don't have a Rivals account, but I personally prefer 247 over all of the other sites. Atta boy Reggie!

hdturner

Great Job Reggie!!!   247 drop Ethan from 79 yesterday to 116 today. 247 drop Joe 147 yesterday  to 161 today. Pangos camp did more harm than good. They  got July  to move back up. DesI stayed around 120s. Justice still not ranked on 247. I hope we can finish with top 5 class.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hdturner on June 13, 2017, 06:12:34 pm
Great Job Reggie!!!   247 drop Ethan from 79 yesterday to 116 today. 247 drop Joe 147 yesterday  to 161 today. Pangos camp did more harm than good. They  got July  to move back up. DesI stayed around 120s. Justice still not ranked on 247. I hope we can finish with top 5 class.

Don't understand the drop of Joe? Have heard mixed things on Ethan but that's a big drop.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on June 13, 2017, 07:08:12 pm
Don't understand the drop of Joe? Have heard mixed things on Ethan but that's a big drop.

Joe's drop is ridiculous. He avgeraged 16.0 pts during the Adidas Gauntlet series, which put him roughly in the Top 25-30 in scoring on the Adidas circuit (by comparison, Perry averaged 17.0 pts for 17th place). Zay's 30-of-60 shooting from 3-point range was determined by SynergySports analytics to be tops on the Gauntlet series.

On top of that, his defense (on-ball, taking charges, deflections, and steals) would add up to be tops for the Hawks, and from what I've witnessed first hand at 4 events (Real Deal, Adidas Gauntlet in DWF, Memphis in May, and Adidas Memorial Day Classic) he was an elite defender.

What's interesting was his 3-point shot was awful (in the few attempts he took) at Pangos AA Camp due to an injured toe that basically took away his shooting rythym, yet he played through that and showed very well defensively, hitting the boards, passing/assisting, etc. ... so much so, he was selected to the Pangos Top 60 all-star game, and with that performance (12 pts) along with his efforts in the other 4 camp games one of the basketball analysts who covered the camp ranked Zay among the Top 30 players at Pangos (a camp that had 121 of the best 5- and 4-stars from the 2018 & 2019 classes).

I've evaluated so many of these players, and I'm very comfortbale saying that Isaiah Joe is easily a Top 100 player, probably worthy of Top 75, in the class of 2018. For him to be down around No. 161 / a 3-star is absurd! ESPN rates him a 4-star.

Same for Ethan Henderson, who slipped from 79th to 116th in the composite rankings, although still a 4-star recruit. I've maintained Ethan is worthy of Top 50-75 status and I firmly believe that. 247Sports has him at No. 50, Rivals has him at No. 80, Scout dropped him down from the 80s to the 100-110 range, and ESPN dropped him from its Top 60 BUT still has him ranked a 4-star recruit, which for ESPN typically means a guy is a Top 125 prospect. Not sure why he's all the way down to 116 in the composite, because if you add up 50, 80, 110, and 125, the avg. is 91.3.

Desi Sills is ranked about right, IMO. He's No. 124 / a 4-star in the composite rankings.

Kevin McPherson

ESPN just updated / expanded (from 60 to 100 players) it's Class of 2018 rankings ... Reggie moved up to No. 17, a 5-star (was No. 24, a 4-star) ... that means he's a 5-star according to all the major recruiting services (No. 12 on 247Sports, No. 14 on Scout, No. 17 on ESPN, and No. 23 on Rivals). If Reggie has a huge July, he's going to have a shot at cracking that Top 10.

Also, Ethan Henderson comes in at No. 88, a 4-star, on the updated / expanded ESPN rankings.

hogwood

Excellent news. Go Reggie.

Any new evaluations out on DeShang Weaver? I have not paid attention to his ratings.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hogwood on June 20, 2017, 01:05:11 pm
Excellent news. Go Reggie.

Any new evaluations out on DeShang Weaver? I have not paid attention to his ratings.

247Sports just did an update of its 2018 rankings (actually, seems like that site tweaks the rankings once a week) ... as of now, 247Sports rates DJ the No. 52 prospect, a 4-star, but that's likely to change once all the updates are made ... his composite (aggregate of the 4 major services) is No. 200, a 3-star ... after missing 18 months with the knee injury and still playing monitored minutes since returning 6 mos ago, it's almost impossible to rate him.

My personal view is that DJ is a very good basketball player, I'd say top 75-100 if fully healthy. Had he not missed so much time (which severely limited his development), he might be Top 25-50.

NWAHog479

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 20, 2017, 01:48:41 pm
247Sports just did an update of its 2018 rankings (actually, seems like that site tweaks the rankings once a week) ... as of now, 247Sports rates DJ the No. 52 prospect, a 4-star, but that's likely to change once all the updates are made ... his composite (aggregate of the 4 major services) is No. 200, a 3-star ... after missing 18 months with the knee injury and still playing monitored minutes since returning 6 mos ago, it's almost impossible to rate him.

My personal view is that DJ is a very good basketball player, I'd say top 75-100 if fully healthy. Had he not missed so much time (which severely limited his development), he might be Top 25-50.

Man it'd be great to see DJ get a ranking and show up on some of these websites, but I understand he's hard to evaluate at the moment. You have posted a lot of highlights of DJ from this summer though that really show his upside & potential. Do you see his minutes increasing the rest of the summer, or do you see them taking a cautious approach and really monitoring his minutes?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: NWAHog479 on June 20, 2017, 04:59:15 pm
Man it'd be great to see DJ get a ranking and show up on some of these websites, but I understand he's hard to evaluate at the moment. You have posted a lot of highlights of DJ from this summer though that really show his upside & potential. Do you see his minutes increasing the rest of the summer, or do you see them taking a cautious approach and really monitoring his minutes?

I think he'll get more minutes, but I don't think he'll get the kind of starter minutes that Perry, Ethan, Joe, and Justice get. They're not going to push him too much.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 20, 2017, 10:46:32 pm
I think he'll get more minutes, but I don't think he'll get the kind of starter minutes that Perry, Ethan, Joe, and Justice get. They're not going to push him too much.

Who is taking the majority of Desi's minutes up until now and going forward?
SCREW Vandy!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 22, 2017, 12:52:16 pm

Split up between J.T. Smith (6-0 guard), DJ, and Caleb Stokes.

NWAHog479

azhog10

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 22, 2017, 12:52:16 pm
What happened to Desi? I saw he had some kind of knee surgery.....?