Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Longs Biggest Regret While At Arkansas

Started by gchamblee, June 02, 2017, 08:01:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

From what I remember we were always taught to recover and cover the ball.  Has this changed?

Hogs-n-Roses

GuvHog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 12, 2017, 05:12:58 pm

The reason he didn't pick it up but fell on it instead??????????????????????
He was poorly COACHED guv, very poorly coached, so what was your point anyway?

No, he wasn't poorly coached, he just made an inexperienced freshman mistake. It's just one of those things that occasionally happens and I felt bad for him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 12, 2017, 05:12:58 pm

The reason he didn't pick it up but fell on it instead??????????????????????
He was poorly COACHED guv, very poorly coached, so what was your point anyway?

I am not buying that. For generations defensive players have been coached to fall on a fumble, make sure you recover it, rather than trying to make a big play. We have seen kids try to scoop and score and screw it up and allow the other team to get the turnover back, so when it is a freshman, I'm not surprised that he just fell on the ball. THAT is what he had been coached to do as a young player. Now a more experienced and more senior player with more reps under his belt may have chosen to try to scoop and score, but not many true freshmen are going to do that when they are traditionally coached to secure the T/O. Can't blame the kid for that.
Go Hogs Go!

Gonzo

Quote from: Wildhog on June 12, 2017, 03:53:21 pm
I'm 30, and I've never seen anything like Cam Newton on a CFB field.  He made opponents look like pee wee players.

Fair enough, he was awesome no doubt. My first notions head toward Earl or Bo, but they were all amazing.

Go Hogs!

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on June 12, 2017, 06:05:25 pm
No, he wasn't poorly coached, he just made an inexperienced freshman mistake. It's just one of those things that occasionally happens and I felt bad for him.

Dude, players are coached to fall on the ball, not scoop and score. You try so hard to come across as a football expert, but get so much wrong. If you were coached to scoop and score growing up, you were coached wrong. There are football fundamentals that have been true since the inception of the sport, and securing the turnover instead of trying to be the hero and score is one of those fundamentals. When a player tries to scoop and score and screws it up, the coach is on the sideline 200% of the time coaching the player to quit showboatin and secure the turnover.

Wow, what a thread.  More opinions in this thread than a Saturday night Hooker has moves.  To begin with, Jeff Long should thank ole Bobby for screwing up at the right time and place in Jeff's career.  Bobby Petrino for all he did or didn't do during his time at Arkansas, singlehandedly, made Jeff Long the talk of the football community.  He gave Jeff the opportunity to score his place in the AD Kingdom.  There isn't a half dozen ADs in all of D1 football that would have fired Petrino and even less that would be stupid enough to criticize Jeff for doing what he did.  To not totally approve of the Jeff Long firing of Petrino would be Un-American.  Petrino gave Jeff Long his big chance in the profession.  Never mind that college football is a huge business that eats up the Kids that play the game, screws the foolish fans that pay 5 to 10 times value for the opportunity to go see and be seen, places Head Coaches in positions of being God like to the point that even they start believing it and turns Universities into NFL farm teams.  We have a BS recruiting system that begs to be a cheated on, an entire school department filled with mostly useless positions living off the sweat of a group of Kids playing a game they love with a department head who lords over that department as if it was special and swears to integrity.  Hell, if there was any real integrity involved, he would have to just quit as his conscience wouldn't allow him to work in such a bullcrap phoney industry.

And yeah, I too am a failure as I love to watch the Kids go do their thing, putting life and limb at risk and I chose to fall for the horse hockey and overlook the obvious and seek pleasure from the turmoil we call football.  But I refuse to claim I have grand integrity among the millions who find satisfaction from the game.  Like most, it is OK by me for the youth to put themselves on the line for my enjoyment. 

LRRandy

Quote from: gchamblee on June 12, 2017, 08:06:04 pm
Dude, players are coached to fall on the ball, not scoop and score. You try so hard to come across as a football expert, but get so much wrong. If you were coached to scoop and score growing up, you were coached wrong. There are football fundamentals that have been true since the inception of the sport, and securing the turnover instead of trying to be the hero and score is one of those fundamentals. When a player tries to scoop and score and screws it up, the coach is on the sideline 200% of the time coaching the player to quit showboatin and secure the turnover.
truth
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on June 12, 2017, 09:35:35 pm
Good God.

The level of your Petrino apologism is, has been and -- I presume? -- will be an embarrassment to anyone who did, has or will ever support my alma mater.

1.  I was right (from jump).
2.  You were wrong.
3.  Petrino BURIED the Razorback program.

Live with reality.

Jesus...

Reality is he was better than any coach we've had since I've been following the Hogs.

Good to see you poke your head out, though.  Thread is nearing completion.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on June 12, 2017, 09:57:13 pm
Then you're measuring leadership wrong or are not very old?

30, but I measure success by wins.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

eric_mullins34

Quote from: 12247 on June 12, 2017, 08:53:39 pm
Wow, what a thread.  More opinions in this thread than a Saturday night Hooker has moves.  To begin with, Jeff Long should thank ole Bobby for screwing up at the right time and place in Jeff's career.  Bobby Petrino for all he did or didn't do during his time at Arkansas, singlehandedly, made Jeff Long the talk of the football community.  He gave Jeff the opportunity to score his place in the AD Kingdom.  There isn't a half dozen ADs in all of D1 football that would have fired Petrino and even less that would be stupid enough to criticize Jeff for doing what he did.  To not totally approve of the Jeff Long firing of Petrino would be Un-American.  Petrino gave Jeff Long his big chance in the profession.  Never mind that college football is a huge business that eats up the Kids that play the game, screws the foolish fans that pay 5 to 10 times value for the opportunity to go see and be seen, places Head Coaches in positions of being God like to the point that even they start believing it and turns Universities into NFL farm teams.  We have a BS recruiting system that begs to be a cheated on, an entire school department filled with mostly useless positions living off the sweat of a group of Kids playing a game they love with a department head who lords over that department as if it was special and swears to integrity.  Hell, if there was any real integrity involved, he would have to just quit as his conscience wouldn't allow him to work in such a bullcrap phoney industry.

And yeah, I too am a failure as I love to watch the Kids go do their thing, putting life and limb at risk and I chose to fall for the horse hockey and overlook the obvious and seek pleasure from the turmoil we call football.  But I refuse to claim I have grand integrity among the millions who find satisfaction from the game.  Like most, it is OK by me for the youth to put themselves on the line for my enjoyment. 
This is the realest post I've ever read on Hogville, and anyone that disagrees is just fooling themselves.
Calling the Hogs from NEA!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on June 12, 2017, 03:53:21 pm
I'm 30, and I've never seen anything like Cam Newton on a CFB field.  He made opponents look like pee wee players.

You should have seen Earl Campbell...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gchamblee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 13, 2017, 06:50:55 am

I am old. Ive watched Bradshaw battle Staubach, Warren Moon vs John Elway (Attended that playoff game), Jim Plunkett, Ken Stabler, Dan Fouts, Jack Hacksaw Reynolds, Ed Too Tall Jones, Robert Newhouse, Earl Campbell (Skoal Brotha), Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton. Some of these kids playing college ball today, I remember watching their dads play.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 06:56:55 am
I am old. Ive watched Bradshaw battle Staubach, Warren Moon vs John Elway (Attended that playoff game), Jim Plunkett, Ken Stabler, Dan Fouts, Jack Hacksaw Reynolds, Ed Too Tall Jones, Robert Newhouse, Earl Campbell (Skoal Brotha), Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton. Some of these kids playing college ball today, I remember watching their dads play.

My daddy was a big Cowboys fan back in those days (it took me a few years to come around, I was a Steelers and a Raiders fan first). I guess the earliest memory I have of pro football is of Staubach. He wore the most ill-fitted helmet I have ever seen on anyone.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on June 13, 2017, 06:56:55 am

I may be a little older but I remember all of those guys as well and they were all great.  Don't forget Tarkenton.  He had wheels and he could sling it as well.

WilsonHog

I've never understood why some people feel the need to argue themselves into a twisted knot.

(1) Does winning matter? Of course it does; that's why records are kept. "Winning" matters on the field and in the classroom. It matters in the classroom because APR has become a metric by which the NCAA and university presidents and chancellors measure a coach. There was a time when a coach only had to worry about winning games; in 2017, a coach has to worry about winning games, meeting academic standards over and above keeping a player eligible, and not "abusing" a player. Frank Broyles and Darrell Royal didn't have to concern themselves with such.

(2) Does winning a game matter even though it isn't for a championship? Uh, yeah. It matters for purposes of how recruits and fans perceive the program. I will use myself as an example. Had we beaten Missouri and Virginia Tech (or maybe even one of the two) to finish the 2016 season, I would have no reservations that Bret Bielema is the coach we need. Not only did we lose both, but we lost both after collapsing in the second half. Does that mean that I want Bielema fired? No, it means I have doubts that I didn't have before. I'm sure others do, too.

(3) Does winning matter enough to me that I would go so far as to give up my tickets if I decide we aren't committed to winning? No. Razorback football is a matter of family, of tradition, for me; it goes way beyond winning and losing.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 13, 2017, 12:35:42 pm
I've never understood why some people feel the need to argue themselves into a twisted knot.

(1) Does winning matter? Of course it does; that's why records are kept. "Winning" matters on the field and in the classroom. It matters in the classroom because APR has become a metric by which the NCAA and university presidents and chancellors measure a coach. There was a time when a coach only had to worry about winning games; in 2017, a coach has to worry about winning games, meeting academic standards over and above keeping a player eligible, and not "abusing" a player. Frank Broyles and Darrell Royal didn't have to concern themselves with such.

(2) Does winning a game matter even though it isn't for a championship? Uh, yeah. It matters for purposes of how recruits and fans perceive the program. I will use myself as an example. Had we beaten Missouri and Virginia Tech (or maybe even one of the two) to finish the 2016 season, I would have no reservations that Bret Bielema is the coach we need. Not only did we lose both, but we lost both after collapsing in the second half. Does that mean that I want Bielema fired? No, it means I have doubts that I didn't have before. I'm sure others do, too.

(3) Does winning matter enough to me that I would go so far as to give up my tickets if I decide we aren't committed to winning? No. Razorback football is a matter of family, of tradition, for me; it goes way beyond winning and losing.

You probably don't even own a microwave...

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 13, 2017, 06:50:55 am
And Hershel Walker......   truly a GIANT among babies.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 13, 2017, 12:35:42 pm

One of those would be CBB himself. He seems never to satisfied with the status quo and looking to see where we can get better. Some of his ideas have worked and some not so much.

One thing is CBB is highly competitive and proud of his coaching capabilities. His reputation is in tact within the walls of UofA. But publicly it has taken some hits. I think this has his competitiveness in overdrive. He is looking to get his rep back to Wisconsin days.

Just my speculating, but this keeps me from jumping off the bandwagon.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DLUXHOG

Biggest and probably most significant regret?   His hiring of John L Smith..... (yes I know it was only for a year, but honestly even hiring him for 10 minutes would've been a mistake...)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)