Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hear Him Out: Bielema's Great Idea to Help Fix Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, June 02, 2017, 06:36:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/870424748039315458

QuoteJohn Talty: Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema's idea is a simple one, but it makes a lot of sense: Let recruits take multiple official visits to the same school if they want to.

Under the current rules, recruits can take up to five official visits but have to be at different schools. There's never been a particularly compelling reason why that's the case; it's just the way it is.

In Bielema's scenario, a recruit would able to do more due diligence on a school without having to pay out of pocket. Recruits can take as many unofficial visits as they want to a school but that's cost prohibitive, and not everyone can afford to make those trips. Allowing a recruit to take two official visits to the same school gives him more knowledge and perspective as to whether that school is the right fit.

"A lot of times the visit becomes more real on the second rather than the first," Bielema explained. "For those of us married, that first date wouldn't be great and the second one probably a little better. You kept building that progression and if not, you got out of it."

Bielema's idea could turn a new recruiting calendar that's viewed as a major negative into a positive. A recruit could take one official visit in May and then come back in October for a gameday weekend to get two varied visit experiences. It'd also help recruits bring more family members to see the school they might be spending their next four years.

There aren't many downsides to Bielema's idea. It could increase the costs for schools -- that may not play well with the Group of Five --
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Steef

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

Vantage 8 dude

IMO it makes WAY too much sense for it to be easily adopted or even considered. The NCAA always seems to do the things that make the LEAST amount of sense. Virtually the only way they do adapt is when extinction is on their doorstep.

widespreadsooie

Good idea. Let's hear some more, specifically regarding Ws on the football field.

sickboy

I guess I never thought about it before, why kids don't take multiple officials to the same school. I never realized it was prohibited. I don't understand the logic in prohibiting multiple officials. I guess to make sure a kid sees his options, but c'mon. This is a silly rule. Bielema's 100% right on this one.

RazrRila99

It actually wouldnt take much change to the current wording.  It could be changed from "five official visits" to "student can not take official visits to more than five member institutions" or something like that.  That still keeps it to where they arent going EVERYWHERE, but if they really like a school and the school approves then they can pick up the travel costs.

woodrow hog call

Say what you will about CBB but, when he talks about changing the rules he is looking at the best intrest of the student athlete .
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 02, 2017, 03:07:20 pm
Say what you will about CBB but, when he talks about changing the rules he is looking at the best intrest of the student athlete .
Not at all surprising given the fact that CBB has without dispute always had the best interest of his players and recruits at heart. Like him or not as a coach, however, this is something that can't be doubted.

jgphillips3

I think the danger in changing from 5 paid visits to 5 different schools to 5 paid visits to any school, any number of times is that we might actually lose visits.  For instance, say a kid has Bama, OSU, Arkansas, A&M and Ole Miss on his board.  Currently, he can only visit the big dogs officially once and we get our visit if he takes them all.  Change the rule and Bama and OSU (for instance) might now insist that he take 2 or even more official visits to them or insist indirectly by having them come once and say "we think we want you but come back in one month to work out for coach X and we'll make it official then."  Thus, paid visits would be taken away from either Arkansas, A&M or Ole Miss.  if you change the rule to "as many paid visits as you want, but to no more than 5 different schools" then it would be a great rule change.

tophawg19

the only difference is the school could also pay for the second visit . A recruit can visit as much as they like but have to pay for it. they should have to have committed to the 5 before being allowed a 2nd paid . Otherwise you will have kids putting Hawaii , and other vacation destinations on their 2 visit roster for a free couple trips . Overall with a few adjustments , this is a good idea . Especially for poor families or where families are split .Mom makes 1 trip , dad the 2nd
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 04, 2017, 01:32:12 pm
the only difference is the school could also pay for the second visit . A recruit can visit as much as they like but have to pay for it. they should have to have committed to the 5 before being allowed a 2nd paid . Otherwise you will have kids putting Hawaii , and other vacation destinations on their 2 visit roster for a free couple trips . Overall with a few adjustments , this is a good idea . Especially for poor families or where families are split .Mom makes 1 trip , dad the 2nd

You think Hawaii, which struggles with their athletic budget, is going to pay for multiple trips to a prospective athlete and his family, doubt it very seriously.

tophawg19

depends on the level the kid plays at. you can bet they can find money for recruits
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

onebadrubi

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 04, 2017, 12:51:50 pm
I think the danger in changing from 5 paid visits to 5 different schools to 5 paid visits to any school, any number of times is that we might actually lose visits.  For instance, say a kid has Bama, OSU, Arkansas, A&M and Ole Miss on his board.  Currently, he can only visit the big dogs officially once and we get our visit if he takes them all.  Change the rule and Bama and OSU (for instance) might now insist that he take 2 or even more official visits to them or insist indirectly by having them come once and say "we think we want you but come back in one month to work out for coach X and we'll make it official then."  Thus, paid visits would be taken away from either Arkansas, A&M or Ole Miss.  if you change the rule to "as many paid visits as you want, but to no more than 5 different schools" then it would be a great rule change.

Can you find me one guy that we were his fifth visit out of those schools or similar and  we got him?  Honest question? 

When we've competed against those schools, we were getting a visit guaranteed.   

Sivad

Quote from: Steef on June 02, 2017, 06:48:57 am
That is actually a very good idsa.
Yes it is. Especially for the recruit and their families. Nice idea Coach B!