Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 NFL draft

Started by bennyl08, May 01, 2017, 01:41:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Spring practice is over the the 2017 draft just concluded, so lets take a way too early look at our prospects for 2018.

Austin Allen: Rated by PFF as the 8th best returning talent in the SEC. Showed better promise as a qb than his brother at this stage in his career and should be even better next season. He has an NFL arm, and was very productive despite massive amounts of pressure resulting form a brand new OL last season. He should be our best qb prospect since Mallett next season. However, his height will be a major issue for NFL teams. Brandon was listed as 6'2 and was basically 6'1.5 and Austin is listed as 6'1. 6'2 is basically the minimum than NFL teams want to see so his height will likely cap his draft potential. Assuming he progresses the average amount from that a player does going from his first year starting to his second, I'd project him to be drafted in rounds 3-4.

De'Andrey Coley: He's been a good head hunter type safety for us which has gotten him in trouble with some questionable ejections. Our defense did worse when he was ejected too. However, I don't think he quite has the athleticism to be an NFL safety. I'd guess he'd be an UDFA.

Jared Cornelius: Good route runner, more speed than the guys we lost this year and he has good size. I thought for sure that Hatcher would be a late round draft pick, but he wasn't so saying that Cornelius is better than the guys we lost doesn't guarantee anything. He is also the biggest wildcard I see in our potential draft class next year. At 5'11 212, if he is running in the 4.4's with his production, route running, and consistent hands, I mean, he could go as early as the 2nd round, or he could be a late round pick. WR in the NFL is a fickle position.

Robert Decker: LS, probably won't be drafted.

Dwayne Eugene: If he ends up starting for us, I think he has a good shot as a late round pick. His LB play at the end of the season last year was the best I've seen at the UA since Spaight (though not quite as good as Martrell). Can he keep up that pace and continue to improve? If we are going for a lighter LB 3-4 it could be Harris, and Eugene in the middle with Greenlaw moving to OLB and then one pass rushing LB for the fourth. Otherwise, it'll probably be Greenlaw and Harris in the middle with 2 pass rushing OLB's. Even if he is just a rotational player for us, I think he will get a good 30-40% of the snaps based off his play back half of last year and if he tests at the pro day like he plays, worst case he'd still get a tryout as an UDFA.

Bijhon Jackson: His status all depends on his conditioning, IMO. Like Hodges before him, his first 3 years were marred by being overweight and unable to play a full 4 quarters. Reports are this year that he has greatly transformed his body and shredded excess weight which bodes well for him. He had the quickest first step in HS of any HS DL player I've ever watched. If he can play 4 quarters this year and not fall off at the end of the season, players like him are highly coveted. His potential range next year I'd say goes from 3rd round to FA.

Josh Liddell: He's lost his starting sport at FS to Coley for the time being and is now seeing some time at nickel and lb/s hybrid iirc. Don't think he has the athleticism for the NFL. Could get a tryout to go to camp though.

Connor McPherson: Probably not going to the NFL

Frank Ragnow: Was the top C in the country last year. Centers don't typically go too high in the draft and by the time the draft process comes around, he might be considered the 2nd or 3rd best center. Late first is probably the ceiling for him with potential to go to the 2nd round or 3rd depending on need/competition. Don't think he drops further than the third unless he his combine is bad like Skipper and Kirkland.

Paul Ramirez: I really liked his tape coming out of JUCO but this guy has been snake bit. He was nipping at the heals of a starting job last fall before an injury set him back. This year, he's seen some first team reps at tackle but he had a death in the family late in spring ball. I wouldn't bet on him being a starting tackle for us this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. If he does, I think he has enough athleticism that he could be a 5th round pick or later. If not, I could see him being our 6th OL player like Cam Jefferson was a few years back and Cam had a decent NFL career for a guy who wasn't even a starter in college.

Jake Raulerson: Honestly not sure about him. He was really bad last season but was also injured. Coaches were very high on him in the spring. So, it sounds like he is pretty athletic for an interior OL player, but there's a lot of flags too. Could go anywhere from a late round pick to not even getting a FA deal.

Kevin Richardson III: His athleticism has been raved on by the coaching staff and he's been a good player who here. I think he could have a Tevin Mitchel like senior season, playing the best ball of his life, having a stunning pro day, and then becoming a late round draft pick. However, he could just become an UDFA as well.

Karl Roesler: Don't think he'll be drafted. He hasn't made much of an impact on this team yet, and it sounds like he is a solid depth guy for us, but I'd be surprised if he ended up actually being a major starter. If he does, he could show enough to become a UDFA.

Toliver: He was one of our defense's biggest playmakers in 2014, and considering we had Spaight, Philon, Flowers, and Mitchel, that is saying something. He shut down Amari Cooper in pass coverage that year and has been a good player for us since then too. However, he has been responsible for some busts as well. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get drafted, but he's probably a 5-7th round guy.

Early enrollee possibilities

Don't see any of our RsSo's jumping for the NFL.

RW3, assuming he comes back for football/wants to continue his football days at the professional level, would be a shock to return and would very likely declare.

If Ryan Pulley builds off of last season, he could be drafted if he left early.

Ramirez and Ramsey have the potential if they have a good season, but both of them weren't used super extensively last year so they'd be risking being primarily one year wonders if they have good enough seasons that they leave.

Greenlaw would be a 3 year starter for us if he leaves. However, I'd be very surprised if he declared as he could go undrafted if he did unless he has a great combine/proday.

Froholdt would be a slightly more realistic option. Assuming he plays like the coaches have talked him this spring next year, he could rival Ragnow for our best OL player. However, from last year, he'd be a two year starter, but a one year wonder which can hurt a prospect. However, I say he would be a slightly more realistic option as he could be thinking about the money and it could be very much a Philon type situation. Where he could be a a 3 round pick at the latest if he stays his senior year, but would rather pull a paycheck as a 5th round pick this year.

I'd say a likely 4-5 picks next year depending on RW3's health.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2017, 01:41:04 pm
Spring practice is over the the 2017 draft just concluded, so lets take a way too early look at our prospects for 2018.

Austin Allen: Rated by PFF as the 8th best returning talent in the SEC. Showed better promise as a qb than his brother at this stage in his career and should be even better next season. He has an NFL arm, and was very productive despite massive amounts of pressure resulting form a brand new OL last season. He should be our best qb prospect since Mallett next season. However, his height will be a major issue for NFL teams. Brandon was listed as 6'2 and was basically 6'1.5 and Austin is listed as 6'1. 6'2 is basically the minimum than NFL teams want to see so his height will likely cap his draft potential. Assuming he progresses the average amount from that a player does going from his first year starting to his second, I'd project him to be drafted in rounds 3-4.

De'Andrey Coley: He's been a good head hunter type safety for us which has gotten him in trouble with some questionable ejections. Our defense did worse when he was ejected too. However, I don't think he quite has the athleticism to be an NFL safety. I'd guess he'd be an UDFA.

Jared Cornelius: Good route runner, more speed than the guys we lost this year and he has good size. I thought for sure that Hatcher would be a late round draft pick, but he wasn't so saying that Cornelius is better than the guys we lost doesn't guarantee anything. He is also the biggest wildcard I see in our potential draft class next year. At 5'11 212, if he is running in the 4.4's with his production, route running, and consistent hands, I mean, he could go as early as the 2nd round, or he could be a late round pick. WR in the NFL is a fickle position.

Robert Decker: LS, probably won't be drafted.

Dwayne Eugene: If he ends up starting for us, I think he has a good shot as a late round pick. His LB play at the end of the season last year was the best I've seen at the UA since Spaight (though not quite as good as Martrell). Can he keep up that pace and continue to improve? If we are going for a lighter LB 3-4 it could be Harris, and Eugene in the middle with Greenlaw moving to OLB and then one pass rushing LB for the fourth. Otherwise, it'll probably be Greenlaw and Harris in the middle with 2 pass rushing OLB's. Even if he is just a rotational player for us, I think he will get a good 30-40% of the snaps based off his play back half of last year and if he tests at the pro day like he plays, worst case he'd still get a tryout as an UDFA.

Bijhon Jackson: His status all depends on his conditioning, IMO. Like Hodges before him, his first 3 years were marred by being overweight and unable to play a full 4 quarters. Reports are this year that he has greatly transformed his body and shredded excess weight which bodes well for him. He had the quickest first step in HS of any HS DL player I've ever watched. If he can play 4 quarters this year and not fall off at the end of the season, players like him are highly coveted. His potential range next year I'd say goes from 3rd round to FA.

Josh Liddell: He's lost his starting sport at FS to Coley for the time being and is now seeing some time at nickel and lb/s hybrid iirc. Don't think he has the athleticism for the NFL. Could get a tryout to go to camp though.

Connor McPherson: Probably not going to the NFL

Frank Ragnow: Was the top C in the country last year. Centers don't typically go too high in the draft and by the time the draft process comes around, he might be considered the 2nd or 3rd best center. Late first is probably the ceiling for him with potential to go to the 2nd round or 3rd depending on need/competition. Don't think he drops further than the third unless he his combine is bad like Skipper and Kirkland.

Paul Ramirez: I really liked his tape coming out of JUCO but this guy has been snake bit. He was nipping at the heals of a starting job last fall before an injury set him back. This year, he's seen some first team reps at tackle but he had a death in the family late in spring ball. I wouldn't bet on him being a starting tackle for us this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. If he does, I think he has enough athleticism that he could be a 5th round pick or later. If not, I could see him being our 6th OL player like Cam Jefferson was a few years back and Cam had a decent NFL career for a guy who wasn't even a starter in college.

Jake Raulerson: Honestly not sure about him. He was really bad last season but was also injured. Coaches were very high on him in the spring. So, it sounds like he is pretty athletic for an interior OL player, but there's a lot of flags too. Could go anywhere from a late round pick to not even getting a FA deal.

Kevin Richardson III: His athleticism has been raved on by the coaching staff and he's been a good player who here. I think he could have a Tevin Mitchel like senior season, playing the best ball of his life, having a stunning pro day, and then becoming a late round draft pick. However, he could just become an UDFA as well.

Karl Roesler: Don't think he'll be drafted. He hasn't made much of an impact on this team yet, and it sounds like he is a solid depth guy for us, but I'd be surprised if he ended up actually being a major starter. If he does, he could show enough to become a UDFA.

Toliver: He was one of our defense's biggest playmakers in 2014, and considering we had Spaight, Philon, Flowers, and Mitchel, that is saying something. He shut down Amari Cooper in pass coverage that year and has been a good player for us since then too. However, he has been responsible for some busts as well. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get drafted, but he's probably a 5-7th round guy.

Early enrollee possibilities

RW3, assuming he comes back for football/wants to continue his football days at the professional level, would be a shock to return and would very likely declare.

Ramirez and Ramsey have the potential if they have a good season, but both of them weren't used super extensively last year so they'd be risking being primarily one year wonders if they have good enough seasons that they leave.

Greenlaw would be a 3 year starter for us if he leaves. However, I'd be very surprised if he declared as he could go undrafted if he did unless he has a great combine/proday.

Froholdt would be a slightly more realistic option. Assuming he plays like the coaches have talked him this spring next year, he could rival Ragnow for our best OL player. However, from last year, he'd be a two year starter, but a one year wonder which can hurt a prospect. However, I say he would be a slightly more realistic option as he could be thinking about the money and it could be very much a Philon type situation. Where he could be a a 3 round pick at the latest if he stays his senior year, but would rather pull a paycheck as a 5th round pick this year.

Dre needs to stay no matter what, well anything less than the Dick Butkus Award from ESPN...Dre needs more mass or more speed, he's a pure tweener as far as the NFL goes....more mass and he can play outside backer, less mass and more speed he might fit at safety because the kid seems to have a nice head on his shoulders
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

factchecker

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-sam-darnold-goes-first-in-pffs-early-2018-mock-draft/?utm_content=buffer9045f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

PFF'S EARLY 2018 MOCK DRAFT

Quote21. Carolina Panthers
Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas

With center Ryan Kalil getting up there in age, it makes sense to look toward the future at center for the Panthers. Ragnow was the nation's best center last season, finishing at 89.4 overall. He's strong at the point of attack and smooth at the second level, and he has the versatility to play any position along the interior.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgmasta

Quote from: factchecker on May 03, 2017, 12:15:01 pm
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-sam-darnold-goes-first-in-pffs-early-2018-mock-draft/?utm_content=buffer9045f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

PFF'S EARLY 2018 MOCK DRAFT

Yeah I could easily see Ragnow going in the first two rounds. He's versatile to play any three positions on the interior and possibly RT. In a league with limited roster spots that's invaluable.

bennyl08

So, how did I do compared to the way too early thread from last season?

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2017, 01:41:04 pm

I stand by this assessment. If he progressed an average amount that I'd expect a player to progress at any school, I think he would have been drafted, certainly ahead of Etling. Based on what little we've seen from Kelley I'd take Cole this coming season over Etling coming back for another season. However, almost nobody on our team made any improvement last season (Ramirez excluded) and Austin had the bad injury. Still, he was one of the first to get a UDFA deal.

QuoteDe'Andrey Coley: He's been a good head hunter type safety for us which has gotten him in trouble with some questionable ejections. Our defense did worse when he was ejected too. However, I don't think he quite has the athleticism to be an NFL safety. I'd guess he'd be an UDFA.

Still a lot of spots for UDFA's, but he hasn't gotten a call yet.

QuoteJared Cornelius: Good route runner, more speed than the guys we lost this year and he has good size. I thought for sure that Hatcher would be a late round draft pick, but he wasn't so saying that Cornelius is better than the guys we lost doesn't guarantee anything. He is also the biggest wildcard I see in our potential draft class next year. At 5'11 212, if he is running in the 4.4's with his production, route running, and consistent hands, I mean, he could go as early as the 2nd round, or he could be a late round pick. WR in the NFL is a fickle position.

I mostly stand by this, though perhaps capping the ceiling in the third round with his injury history. Luckily, we get to keep him another year, but with Morgan and Hatcher both making practice squads and Cornelius having greater athleticism than either, I will be quite surprised if he isn't drafted at all barring another season marred by injury.

QuoteRobert Decker: LS, probably won't be drafted.

Eugene had really good production on the field and was as good as advertised in the pro day showing great athleticism. I'm surprised he isn't on the list of guys with UDFA contracts, though teams are still signing players.

QuoteBijhon Jackson: His status all depends on his conditioning, IMO. Like Hodges before him, his first 3 years were marred by being overweight and unable to play a full 4 quarters. Reports are this year that he has greatly transformed his body and shredded excess weight which bodes well for him. He had the quickest first step in HS of any HS DL player I've ever watched. If he can play 4 quarters this year and not fall off at the end of the season, players like him are highly coveted. His potential range next year I'd say goes from 3rd round to FA.

He didn't have the senior season he wanted so it's no surprise that he wasn't drafted. Also no surprise to see him land a free agent big so quickly either.

QuoteJosh Liddell: He's lost his starting sport at FS to Coley for the time being and is now seeing some time at nickel and lb/s hybrid iirc. Don't think he has the athleticism for the NFL. Could get a tryout to go to camp though.

As much a sunshine pumper as I can sometimes be, Liddell actually did better than I projected. Didn't just get the invite to tryout, but was signed the first day as a free agent.

QuoteConnor McPherson: Probably not going to the NFL

Late first was the ceiling, and what do you know, 20th overall pick was where he was drafted.

QuotePaul Ramirez: I really liked his tape coming out of JUCO but this guy has been snake bit. He was nipping at the heals of a starting job last fall before an injury set him back. This year, he's seen some first team reps at tackle but he had a death in the family late in spring ball. I wouldn't bet on him being a starting tackle for us this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. If he does, I think he has enough athleticism that he could be a 5th round pick or later. If not, I could see him being our 6th OL player like Cam Jefferson was a few years back and Cam had a decent NFL career for a guy who wasn't even a starter in college.

Did call him kind of being our 6th OL player this year as he did play quite a bit. No free agent contracts yet though.

QuoteJake Raulerson: Honestly not sure about him. He was really bad last season but was also injured. Coaches were very high on him in the spring. So, it sounds like he is pretty athletic for an interior OL player, but there's a lot of flags too. Could go anywhere from a late round pick to not even getting a FA deal.

Fairly accurate here.

QuoteKevin Richardson III: His athleticism has been raved on by the coaching staff and he's been a good player who here. I think he could have a Tevin Mitchel like senior season, playing the best ball of his life, having a stunning pro day, and then becoming a late round draft pick. However, he could just become an UDFA as well.

Didn't expect him to be back next season, but my assessment of him basically stays the same.

QuoteKarl Roesler: Don't think he'll be drafted. He hasn't made much of an impact on this team yet, and it sounds like he is a solid depth guy for us, but I'd be surprised if he ended up actually being a major starter. If he does, he could show enough to become a UDFA.

Well, he did have a good enough season to be invited to the combine and had a free agent contract hours after the draft. I remain surprised that he wasn't a late round pick, but given last season, not very surprised.

QuoteEarly enrollee possibilities

RW3 ended up retiring early rather than declaring early. Perhaps fittingly, I did this before David Williams was even on the team, and he in fact did get drafted.

Pulley very well might have left if he wasn't injured almost the entire season. Ramirez did have a great season last year, but wisely returned while Ramsey didn't do anything to warrant even testing the waters. Greenlaw did what he's always done. Make tackles, but not the big impact plays, so he wisely is also returning. Froholdt apparently likes the hogs more than the draft as he probably would have been a late round pick based on his top level play last year.

I predicted 4-5 picks depending on RW3's health and we had two. With Cornelius staying and RW3 being injured, that in hindsight wasn't too far off. The biggest shocker was really Austin.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse