Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Facing Auburn tomorrow

Started by Pudgepork, April 22, 2017, 05:16:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudgepork

Of the available Hog pitchers, who throw's the best curve?  That seems to be kryptonite
for the tiggers

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pudgepork

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 22, 2017, 05:21:27 pm
Don't think any of them.
Both Kopps and Taco have pretty good breaking stuff.  While Taco pitches mainly off his fastball, Kopps is similar to Chadwick in that his breaking pitch is his go-to pitch.

JHicks3636

I think fastballs would be effective if we could keep them down. Both Knight and Stephan kept getting the fastball up.

ucahogfan

The effective arms who will be fresh are Alberius, Kopps, Loseke, and Taco.  Murphy could throw some, but probably just 10-15 pitches after throwing a lot Wednesday.  Lee and Cronin are probably are top two LHP options tomorrow.

jry04

Quote from: JHicks3636 on April 22, 2017, 05:27:46 pm
I think fastballs would be effective if we could keep them down. Both Knight and Stephan kept getting the fastball up.
If Taco can stay around the plate he should be good. He has so much sink to his fastball that if he is in the lower half of the zone he induces a lot of ground balls or misses. The problem is you tend to get really good Taco or really bad Taco.

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 22, 2017, 05:28:57 pm
The effective arms who will be fresh are Alberius, Kopps, Loseke, and Taco.  Murphy could throw some, but probably just 10-15 pitches after throwing a lot Wednesday.  Lee and Cronin are probably are top two LHP options tomorrow.
At this point, it is all hands on deck, but DVH said Murphy wouldn't throw this weekend because he will start Tuesday. I guess anything can happen if we are in a bind tomorrow, though.

jdevers

I think Taco starts for this exact reason, if we get good Taco he should get quite a few innings out of him but if not we can pull him and we have time to recover.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on April 22, 2017, 05:29:37 pm
At this point, it is all hands on deck, but DVH said Murphy wouldn't throw this weekend because he will start Tuesday. I guess anything can happen if we are in a bind tomorrow, though.
I think Knight, Stephan, Chadwick, and Reindl all can't go tomorrow as they have thrown too many pitches this weekend.  And I tend to agree with you about Murphy, but if we need one out against either Todd or Robert, I could see Murphy potentially being called on.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on April 22, 2017, 05:28:59 pm
If Taco can stay around the plate he should be good. He has so much sink to his fastball that if he is in the lower half of the zone he induces a lot of ground balls or misses. The problem is you tend to get really good Taco or really bad Taco.

A bad taco is bad....

Kevin

Alberius will need to keep the ball down
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Hawgphish

HogsonHicks

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 22, 2017, 05:25:24 pm
Both Kopps and Taco have pretty good breaking stuff.  While Taco pitches mainly off his fastball, Kopps is similar to Chadwick in that his breaking pitch is his go-to pitch.

Kopps has about 4-5 mph on Chadwick. He'll rely more on his fastball as he learns to hit spot it. For now, the breaking stuff is more swing and miss for him and depends less on great spots.

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 22, 2017, 05:25:24 pm

I don't think Taco can get it done anymore.

bulldog04

Quote from: Hawgphish on April 22, 2017, 06:46:31 pm
softest lefty we got...
I'm not sure we got one that can get it done.  But this is a great game plan against this team

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 22, 2017, 05:33:21 pm
I think Knight, Stephan, Chadwick, and Reindl all can't go tomorrow as they have thrown too many pitches this weekend.  And I tend to agree with you about Murphy, but if we need one out against either Todd or Robert, I could see Murphy potentially being called on.
Well yeah, I meant of the pitchers who haven't pitched this weekend. No chance we see the ones you mentioned.

jry04

Quote from: bulldog04 on April 22, 2017, 07:29:44 pm
I'm not sure we got one that can get it done.  But this is a great game plan against this team
Unfortunately Rogers couldn't throw strikes. Cronin throws in the 90s. Lee did an already job getting an out when we needed him to, though.

Sho Nuff

I saw where DVH said that we haven't figured out the Sunday starter yet.  Is he definitely sitting Alberius or do you think it was meant to motivate him?

bulldog04

Quote from: Sho Nuff on April 22, 2017, 07:55:37 pm
I saw where DVH said that we haven't figured out the Sunday starter yet.  Is he definitely sitting Alberius or do you think it was meant to motivate him?
Unless Loseke or Kopps are going to start it has to be Alberius.  Loseke and Kopps have better stuff but aren't consistent

tennesseehogwild

Let's roll Taco out there...sand bring the Cockroach out of the pen tomorrow.

lakecityhog

I sat start Taco then go lefty and then go back to Alberius and if Dave needs to throw a pitch or 2 put him in! We need a win tomorrow.

ucahogfan

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on April 22, 2017, 07:26:04 pm

I don't think Taco can get it done anymore.
Why do you say that?  Taco at his best is 92-95 with sink and a swing and miss breaking ball.  Sure, he struggles with command during some outings, but good Taco is just nasty.

lookawayquick

I would start Kopps and have Taco, Alberius and Lee ready to roll.  DVH needs to have Murph ready for future SEC games.

TebowHater

Assuming Elson actually knows something and isn't just speculating (kind of seems like he is), it looks like it may be Alberius.

https://twitter.com/ElsonPhil/status/855905742016172032

TebowHater

Auburn apparently starting RHP Ryan Watson (1-0, 3.80). Also another source saying we are throwing Alberius.

https://twitter.com/matthewcstevens/status/855909952245952513

311Hog

SPAL

Taco is no longer a starting pitcher. They've transitioned him to a 1 or 2 inning guy. Maybe he can go a 3rd if he has a quick inning. His mentality and mechanics are no longer that of a starting pitcher.

PigWig

Just my opinion, but I think Alberius starts today, Murphy starts Tuesday on a pitch count, and if he looks good again against KState, he takes over the Sunday role after that.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: PigWig on April 23, 2017, 09:35:33 am
Just my opinion, but I think Alberius starts today, Murphy starts Tuesday on a pitch count, and if he looks good again against KState, he takes over the Sunday role after that.

I could see this happening. Murphy has looked very good during the midweek games.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Kevin

We play Tuesday, Thursday, Friday Saturday next week. No pitch count for Murphy Tuesday. Good outing he could go the next weekend

DZ

Quote from: jdevers on April 22, 2017, 05:31:09 pm
I think Taco starts for this exact reason, if we get good Taco he should get quite a few innings out of him but if not we can pull him and we have time to recover.
I don't think you can gamble with his 3-4 runs he gives up Everytime out this year.. I wouldn't trust him.unless we have a 10 run lead.

bulldog04

Quote from: PigWig on April 23, 2017, 09:35:33 am
If Murphy has another good outing o like our chances of getting out of a regional.  Teams with 3 or 4 quality starters do the best in regionals

ucahogfan

Quote from: DZ on April 23, 2017, 10:09:14 am
I don't think you can gamble with his 3-4 runs he gives up Everytime out this year.. I wouldn't trust him.unless we have a 10 run lead.
His SEC ERA is better than Kopps, Loseke, and Stephan.  His big problem has been able to consistently find the zone, but the stuff is electric and he is a solid option for us.

jry04

Quote from: DZ on April 23, 2017, 10:09:14 am
2 scoreless v Mizzou, 1 scoreless v Alabama, 3 runs v LSU in 2 innings when we were already up 6 or 7 runs, 1 earned run in an inning v UGA. He came in for Chadwick in the 8th and didn't allow a run, then gave up two hits to start the 9th. We should have got out of it, but errors lead to UGA tying the game, and both of those runs were charged to Taco, with only 1 being earned.

He hasn't been nearly as bad as you make him sound. You said he gives up 3-4 runs every time, when in fact he has done it 1 time, which happened with a 7 run lead, in conference play

DZ

Quote from: jry04 on April 23, 2017, 12:57:19 pm
2 scoreless v Mizzou, 1 scoreless v Alabama, 3 runs v LSU in 2 innings when we were already up 6 or 7 runs, 1 earned run in an inning v UGA. He came in for Chadwick in the 8th and didn't allow a run, then gave up two hits to start the 9th. We should have got out of it, but errors lead to UGA tying the game, and both of those runs were charged to Taco, with only 1 being earned.

He hasn't been nearly as bad as you make him sound. You said he gives up 3-4 runs every time, when in fact he has done it 1 time, which happened with a 7 run lead, in conference play
maybe i exaggerated, sure seems like he gets into a lot of jams lately, at one time in his career with the hogs he was better, thats all

jry04

Quote from: DZ on April 23, 2017, 02:40:56 pm
maybe i exaggerated, sure seems like he gets into a lot of jams lately, at one time in his career with the hogs he was better, thats all
I agree with that.