Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

on to auburn

Started by Kevin, April 20, 2017, 09:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawg1221

dotnet

GoPigs69

Lot of information here...

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: GoPigs69 on April 20, 2017, 11:19:25 am
Lot of information here...

Here's more:  Go Hogs, Beat Auburn!

fademe

I'll throw in some info and perspective from the Auburn side. Auburn has two fantastic starters in Mize and Thompson. It has a solid third starter in Davis Daniel. There are 3-4 quality arms in the bullpen but not a lot of depth. Mitchell, Lipscomb, and Coker are the best three out of the pen. The team ERA is pretty good in league play, but it hasn't seen an offense as explosive as Arkansas'.

Defensively, we're much improved over last year, although still not an elite defense. We have turned a lot of double plays this year, and Anthony at 3B is an elite defender (he'll probably have 3 errors now that I've said that).

Offensively, we're decent. Not a lot of power, although we've seen a surge in that area over the last 5-6 games. The top of the lineup with Todd, Estes, and Robert has been the most consistent. Jarvis is on a hot streak right now. But generally, the offense tends to strand too many runners. This team is built on coming up with clutch hitting. It's how we've won a majority of our SEC games. With the lack of power, we have to rely on great ABs to create rallies and stringing together hits. This team usually has a good approach at the plate, but it has started to strike out more recently and leads the SEC (or did last I checked) in hitting into double plays.

I think this series should be a very good one. Both seem to have great starting pitching, some questions in the bullpen, and very different ways about offense. To me, the key is Arkansas's offense. If they can produce close to the same offensive numbers as their averages, I don't think Auburn can keep pace. Looking forward to some great baseball this weekend.

fademe

Well, it was just announced that Mize hasn't thrown all week due to fatigue and probably won't pitch this weekend. Same thing happened with Keegan a couple weeks ago. That changes this series fairly dramatically IMO.

Kevin

auburn looks like a lot of the hog teams over the last few years. all pitch and try to find a way to score.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

cannot find anything on mize

fademe

Quote from: Kevin on April 20, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
auburn looks like a lot of the hog teams over the last few years. all pitch and try to find a way to score.

Pretty much. We have a few good hitters, very little power (mostly doubles in the gaps power), good contact hitters, and a solid approach. What has handled this offense best from a pitching standpoint is lots of strikes and the breaking ball. If you can get ahead of most of the lineup and mix pitches, they will struggle at the plate.

PintailKiller

Quote from: Kevin on April 20, 2017, 01:30:27 pm
cannot find anything on mize

Not pitching this weekend.

Auburn Sophomore Pitcher Casey Mize "Doubtful" For Big Series Vs. Arkansas - Scout: Scout Auburn Sophomore Pitcher...
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Wisco Pig

Hey, fademe, thanks for all the information.  If you're still around:

Does Auburn have any potential starters who might answer to the description of "crafty lefthander"?  They've been like kryptonite to Arkansas hitters over the years.  The Mitchell kid, maybe?

southarkhog06

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 20, 2017, 03:04:24 pm

Does Auburn have any potential starters who might answer to the description of "crafty lefthander"?  They've been like kryptonite to Arkansas hitters over the years.  The Mitchell kid, maybe?
sssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!

Don't give our secrets away!!!

SPAL

By crafty lefty he means any left who throws 80 mph and 95%breaking balls.

fademe

I think we only have one lefty on the roster who has thrown any significant innings, Andrew Mitchell. Wouldn't call him crafty as he's a low 90s FB, good breaking ball guy. Everyone else on the roster is RHP. We have three other lefties, but none of them have pitched since the first month of the season.

BroyledNutts

ATTN: MODS ....please edit the above post for program security reasons ....

Wisco Pig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 20, 2017, 08:26:44 pm

ATTN: MODS ....please edit the above post for program security reasons ....

Heh.  Maybe fademe's one of them there double-naught spies?

ricepig

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 20, 2017, 08:34:10 pm

I don't think it's too much of a secret......

JHicks3636

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2017, 08:46:12 pm
I don't think it's too much of a secret......

If it is, they need to fire their scouts.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 20, 2017, 08:34:10 pm

I don't even like it when the tron at Baum shows a strikeout pitch ... allows the opposition to see what the pitch was and where ... Never show the secrets, just keep them guessing...

Wisco Pig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 21, 2017, 01:44:32 pm
I don't even like it when the tron at Baum shows a strikeout pitch ... allows the opposition to see what the pitch was and where ... Never show the secrets, just keep them guessing...

I hear you, Broyled.   However, as JHicks and ricepig indicated, the Hogs' inability to  [[DELETED]]  shouldn't be news even to a barely informed SEC fan at this point.   Hell, not even to an Auburn fan.   ;)

WPS.

fademe

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 21, 2017, 02:24:57 pm
I hear you, Broyled.   However, as JHicks and ricepig indicated, the Hogs' inability to  [[DELETED]]  shouldn't be news even to a barely informed SEC fan at this point.   Hell, not even to an Auburn fan.   ;)

WPS.

Hey now! I didn't spend 7 years in school at Auburn to have some internet person insinuate that my school's educational abilities are less than top notch.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: fademe on April 21, 2017, 02:32:24 pm
Hey now! I didn't spend 7 years in school at Auburn to have some internet person insinuate that my school's educational abilities are less than top notch.

Ha.   Fair enough.

Good luck this weekend.  Not too much, though.

fademe

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 21, 2017, 02:35:21 pm
Ha.   Fair enough.

Good luck this weekend.  Not too much, though.

I'll be happy with one this weekend, although that probably will sink our chances of winning the SECW. This wasn't supposed to be a year where Auburn had some massive resurgence in baseball. So, all of this has been pleasantly surprising. Doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if we falter down the stretch in the SEC, but it makes me hopeful our new HC has the program headed towards a steady, repeatable, competitive brand of baseball.

JHicks3636

Quote from: fademe on April 21, 2017, 02:32:24 pm

You must be nearing that A.S. degree.

fademe

Quote from: JHicks3636 on April 21, 2017, 02:53:30 pm
You must be nearing that A.S. degree.

What is this degree thing you're talking about?

ricepig

Quote from: fademe on April 21, 2017, 03:03:29 pm
What is this degree thing you're talking about?

They're overrated.....

fademe

bosshog84

Quote from: fademe on April 20, 2017, 12:08:14 pm
I'll throw in some info and perspective from the Auburn side. Auburn has two fantastic starters in Mize and Thompson. It has a solid third starter in Davis Daniel. There are 3-4 quality arms in the bullpen but not a lot of depth. Mitchell, Lipscomb, and Coker are the best three out of the pen. The team ERA is pretty good in league play, but it hasn't seen an offense as explosive as Arkansas'.

Defensively, we're much improved over last year, although still not an elite defense. We have turned a lot of double plays this year, and Anthony at 3B is an elite defender (he'll probably have 3 errors now that I've said that).

Offensively, we're decent. Not a lot of power, although we've seen a surge in that area over the last 5-6 games. The top of the lineup with Todd, Estes, and Robert has been the most consistent. Jarvis is on a hot streak right now. But generally, the offense tends to strand too many runners. This team is built on coming up with clutch hitting. It's how we've won a majority of our SEC games. With the lack of power, we have to rely on great ABs to create rallies and stringing together hits. This team usually has a good approach at the plate, but it has started to strike out more recently and leads the SEC (or did last I checked) in hitting into double plays.

I think this series should be a very good one. Both seem to have great starting pitching, some questions in the bullpen, and very different ways about offense. To me, the key is Arkansas's offense. If they can produce close to the same offensive numbers as their averages, I don't think Auburn can keep pace. Looking forward to some great baseball this weekend.

Looking forward to a great series this weekend on the plains. Second best of luck to your team sir.  :razorback:

fademe

Quote from: bosshog84 on April 21, 2017, 03:42:26 pm
Looking forward to a great series this weekend on the plains. Second best of luck to your team sir.  :razorback:

Thank you sir. Looking forward to it as well. Hopefully we see three great games.