Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updated top 25 for softball? week 7 polls

Started by KalenTheBoar, March 06, 2023, 11:45:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KalenTheBoar

March 06, 2023, 11:45:23 am Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 11:10:53 am by flippinhogmana
Where are we ranked in the polls

Hogfan_14

Quote from: SooieHog on March 06, 2023, 11:45:23 amWhere are we ranked in the polls

We are currently #7 in the RPI.

ESPN/USA Softball poll not out yet.
We moved up one spot to #9 in the D1 Softball poll (the lowest we were ranked last week at #10).
USA Today/NFCA coaches poll up one spot to #6.
Softball America not out yet.

diehardrbackfan

hawg1221

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/softball-america

SA (16)
ESPN/USA Today (17)
D1 Softball (17)
USA/NFCA Coaches (12)

That's where they rank this week. I noticed on the ESPN poll, after we won the Alabama series, the Crimson Tide stayed at 13 and we dropped from 12 to 17.

psycHOGlogist

March 22, 2023, 06:55:00 pm #4 Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:49:52 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: hawg1221 on March 22, 2023, 06:47:05 pmI noticed on the ESPN poll, after we won the Alabama series, the Crimson Tide stayed at 13 and we dropped from 12 to 17.

That's weird, but this poll was the first opportunity the voters had to weigh in on the Wichita State debacle.

flippinhogmana

Not only that, these polls didnt take in the results of the Monday game even if they were published Tuesday (the results were already in) so it doesn't include us winning the series in dramatic fashion including the epic double 10 inning completed games by Fouts and Delce.  If we  do well against Florida we will bounce back in the polls.  To some degree I think the Coach's poll anticipates that.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

codeHog

Fouts should have transferred to....Arkansas

SoCal Hog

I have sometimes wondered if performance on national telecasts affects voting in the polls. For example, the Razorbacks beat Florida 6-2 on Friday and then run-ruled them 14-1 on Sunday. Neither of those games was on national TV. The one that was on ESPN2 was a game where the Razorbacks played poorly and lost by a large margin.

The poor play for all to see on Saturday may sway what was seen by more limited audiences on both Friday and Sunday. The national perception may be that Arkansas softball just isn't up to the same level as Florida based on one game that had a wider viewing audience. Does anyone think this may be true?
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: SoCal Hog on March 26, 2023, 02:38:15 pmI have sometimes wondered if performance on national telecasts affects voting in the polls. For example, the Razorbacks beat Florida 6-2 on Friday and then run-ruled them 14-1 on Sunday. Neither of those games was on national TV. The one that was on ESPN2 was a game where the Razorbacks played poorly and lost by a large margin.

The poor play for all to see on Saturday may sway what was seen by more limited audiences on both Friday and Sunday. The national perception may be that Arkansas softball just isn't up to the same level as Florida based on one game that had a wider viewing audience. Does anyone think this may be true?

I think you're giving the voters too much credit for watching anything. I think they'll just look at scores.

Hereford

Should be back close to the top ten

flippinhogmana

I dont see us climbing any higher than from 14th to a consensus 14, about 12 (maybe 10) in a poll or two.  Teams above you have to lose more than you do.  In this week span we beat Bama on Monday night, we beat Florida 2 of 3, thats grounds for bouncing back, but not many ranked teams above us lost except teams already ranked below us.  But we did pick up games in the standings in the SEC and we could potentially pass MsSt, Kentucky and Auburn this coming week to pull into third in the conference.  We have to basically take the series (hopefully sweep) MsSt.  Our ability to threepeat is in our hands, we can still do it.  We are starting to come together.  Sweeping the Gators would have really helped that, but we didn't with all our youth that was too much to ask apparently. 

But HanGam and the vets are starting to finally gel, and our rookies aren't so much rookies anymore especially Rijo, Johnson and L Camenzind.  H. Camenzind and Herron are closer than some of you might think.  Our series so far have been against the better teams in the conference whereas some of the teams above us have had easier schedules.  But it wouldn't have mattered so much for us because we hadn't gelled yet no matter what some think.  We are really, really close to again being a top ten team.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

wps1

I thought Camenzind had a good outing. She did not give up any earned runs, and her defense was excellent. The double play was a tremendous snag by her. I wonder what position she would play besides pitcher?

The free passes are the one aspect I hope she and Herron continue to clean up moving forward. The SEC has world-class hitters, and HRs will happen. The 2-run and 3-run varieties aided by the walks and HBPs must be minimized.

I agree with Flippin that they are close. Neither is way off on their spots.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 26, 2023, 04:35:12 pmI think you're giving the voters too much credit for watching anything. I think they'll just look at scores.

and it depends on the particular polls.  Some of them actually watch games, some jus go by scores as Psych suggests....some you never know what they do.  But there are four or five out there and its best to use a consensus or average of the bunch.  I really dont care. 

this one thing I think is relevant:  We have successfully reached and hosted a super regional two years in a row (even though we haven't gotten out of it either year, we were within one win of that).  To do that you need to be in the top 8 nationally when the selections are made and having a past track record doesn't hurt.  If we make it into the top 8 by the end of SEC tournament time I think we will have matured enough so that all this doesn't matter.  That is the way most successful coaches play it from Murph and Walton to White and the former Zona coach, and Patty Gasso and the OSU coach, although the latter two a lot of time don't have to be too concerned about it.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

D1 has bounced us back from 17 to 12 in their poll as expected.

Hereford

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 27, 2023, 11:11:52 amD1 has bounced us back from 17 to 12 in their poll as expected.

Florida took a big tumble

flippinhogmana

as of 9 AM, four of the six polls I generally look at are in: They rank us 12, 15, 14 and 9 (Extra Innings), so Hereford, we did make the top ten again in one poll at least!

Hereford

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 28, 2023, 09:01:13 amas of 9 AM, four of the six polls I generally look at are in: They rank us 12, 15, 14 and 9 (Extra Innings), so Hereford, we did make the top ten again in one poll at least!

That's good but I was saying close to the top ten like the 11-13 range, I figured a lot of polls were figuring the way we were playing that we were probably going to lose that Monday night game against Fouts for the big drop. I figured we would make a bigger jump than normal since we won it

flippinhogmana

final two I check, coaches poll and espn has us at 10, 11 respectively, so we have a 12, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 and 15 (included sports madness) that basically averages 12.

Hereford

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 28, 2023, 09:23:18 pmfinal two I check, coaches poll and espn has us at 10, 11 respectively, so we have a 12, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 and 15 (included sports madness) that basically averages 12.

Pretty much where I was expecting us, just keep taking care of business and climb back to the top 8 by tournament time WPS GO HOGS 🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗