Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Complete the Phrase:"Arkansas basketball is ______. "

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, April 18, 2017, 08:37:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

Arkansas basketball is Nolan Richardson.

Arkansas basketball is 40 Minutes of Hell.

To ME, that is what Arkansas basketball IS and ALWAYS WILL BE. 

Arkansas basketball IS PRESSING AND TRAPPING FOREVER UNTIL THE WILL OF THE OPPONENT IS CRACKED LIKE AN ICICLE ON A COLD FEBRUARY DAY.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

IT ALL BEGINS AND ENDS WITH NOLAN.  :razorback:

BannerMountainMan

I love the fastest 40 so much but I hate so many timeouts and touchy calls, they should do timeouts every 5 instead of 4 minutes, it'll speed the game up more than you think.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

peevedpaul

...hopefully coming out of a 20 year hibernation.

The hogs should never be out of the tourney with the high school talent that the state produces.

cardsNhogs

hopefully getting away from this fastest 40 mentality. We were best this year when we started playing more half court zone

poloprince

Quote from: cardsNhogs on April 19, 2017, 09:19:41 am
hopefully getting away from this fastest 40 mentality. We were best this year when we started playing more half court zone

Do you realize that fastest 40 has nothing to do with game play.  It refers to the first 40 minutes of practice smh.
$PoLoPrInCe$

MountieDawg

Quote from: poloprince on April 19, 2017, 09:24:39 am
Do you realize that fastest 40 has nothing to do with game play.  It refers to the first 40 minutes of practice smh.

WTH
SEC!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 19, 2017, 09:53:47 am
WTH

All Razorback historians and knowledgeable fans recall that the 40 Minutes of Hell moniker came from a players comment about the strenuousness and fast pace of Nolan's practice regimen. The name stuck and CMA has riffed on it by using the Fastest 40 tag.
Hogs up! Covid down!

MountieDawg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 19, 2017, 10:08:22 am
All Razorback historians and knowledgeable fans recall that the 40 Minutes of Hell moniker came from a players comment about the strenuousness and fast pace of Nolan's practice regimen. The name stuck and CMA has riffed on it by using the Fastest 40 tag.

Dang WIKI...  His teams typically played an up tempo game with intense pressure defense - a style that was known as "40 Minutes of Hell."

But SB Nation supports your view...

"The first 40 minutes of my workouts is almost nothing to do with basketball - it's more conditioning drills," said Richardson. "Jump rope, we got a medicine ball, water balls, we run figure eights. We don't even shoot at the basket. So one of the player said, 'Hey coach, do we do this every day?' And I said, 'Yeah - you see how long it is.' I said, 'How long is a game?' He said, '40 minutes.' I said, 'We do it every day for 40 minutes then.' He said, 'Coach that's hell - that's like 40 minutes of hell.' I said, 'Oh really?' And I just dismissed it.

Sounds like you were right on the origin but it has since became known as the style of play of Nolan's Razorbacks.
SEC!

PharmacistHog

It originated as a description of practice but then evolved into being the nickname for the up-tempo style of gameplay. Boy we can argue about anything nowadays...........
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

hogsanity

Arkansas basketball is average.

The Op continues the problems we have with clinging to something that happened over 2 decades ago.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on April 18, 2017, 08:37:56 pm

Arkansas basketball IS PRESSING AND TRAPPING FOREVER UNTIL THE WILL OF THE OPPONENT IS CRACKED LIKE AN ICICLE ON A COLD FEBRUARY DAY.   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

I can go with the "40 minutes of hell" thing. And no that doesn't mean full court pressing all the time. That just means 40 minutes of high octane pressure defense period. No matter what defense your in. Pressure bust pipes.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 10:59:41 am
Arkansas basketball is average.

The Op continues the problems we have with clinging to something that happened over 2 decades ago.
26-10 and making it to the field of 32 is far from average my friend. That's a winning percentage of 72%. Just saying...Carry on...

BRHogfan

code red

....a bridge between football ending and baseball beginning.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 19, 2017, 01:43:43 pm
26-10 and making it to the field of 32 is far from average my friend. That's a winning percentage of 72%. Just saying...Carry on...

53 teams had .72 or better win %. And I did not know the question posed by the Op was just for one season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grizzlyfan

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 03:26:24 pm
53 teams had .72 or better win %. And I did not know the question posed by the Op was just for one season.
I'm not talking about the smaller schools playing in smaller conferences either ;). I'm talking about schools playing in big name or power conferences that aren't playing cupcake schedules to pad their win total. I don't remember him putting a time frame on it either :-\. I've come to a conclusion about you. There just isn't any help for you. Your anti-Arkansas. Every time someone says something positive about them you have to come back with something negative. I'll pray for ya. God bless!! ;D

Whenever you get through with the negative energy 16 games over .500 is pretty good.

Youngsta71701

Complete the Phrase:"Arkansas basketball is back. " Deal with it hogsanity. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 19, 2017, 04:03:15 pm
Complete the Phrase:"Arkansas basketball is back. " Deal with it hogsanity. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

So, if they are back with one nccat game win, what does that make SC, with a elite 8? Guess Northwestern is "back" too. Rhode Island and USC as well.

Oh, and we heard the same thing 2 years ago after the one NCAAt win over Winthrop, then we got a big fat nothing the next year.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 04:08:49 pm
So, if they are back with one nccat game win, what does that make SC, with a elite 8? Guess Northwestern is "back" too. Rhode Island and USC as well.

Oh, and we heard the same thing 2 years ago after the one NCAAt win over Winthrop, then we got a big fat nothing the next year.
Dude, we've made the NCAA tournament 2 out of the last 3 years. Kill it please. Your making yourself look bad. I felt the same way 2 years ago until Portis and Qualls both left. We'll see what happens with Barford and Macon. Arkansas is the type of program that needs continuity in order to be at our best.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 19, 2017, 04:11:17 pm
Dude, we've made the NCAA tournament 2 out of the last 3 years. Kill it please. Your making yourself look bad.

Funny thing is the OP completed the phrase with a coach that's been gone 15 years and a "style" that really has not worked in almost 20 yrs.  But pointing out what the program has been the last 10 years is what makes someone look bad?  Ummm, ok. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 04:14:12 pm
Funny thing is the OP completed the phrase with a coach that's been gone 15 years and a "style" that really has not worked in almost 20 yrs.  But pointing out what the program has been the last 10 years is what makes someone look bad?  Ummm, ok.

You need to tell Huggins it doesn't work anymore. The poor fool retooled his whole program for it.

Boardon Hamsay

Arkansas basketball is in stock market terms a stock to trade, not own.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The OTR

paying a certain unnamed person to gin up support of the coach on message boards, using old style bully tactics, good old strong arm tactics, and must be paying by the keystroke, which is the only thing that can explain not using spaces after periods.... to keep Mike Anderson in place.  A bonus will be paid out in a lump sum if Anderson retires as the coach of the Razorbacks.

And all you guys are eating it up like Eskimo pies.

daBoar

Perpetually seeded below North Carolina, playing a long way from home near the east coast.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 04:14:12 pm
Any style can work if done correctly. You just have to have the right pieces in place to play that style and if not you have to change some things up. And I think Mike proved this year that he can change some things up if need be.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 20, 2017, 09:34:48 am
Any style can work if done correctly. You just have to have the right pieces in place to play that style and if not you have to change some things up. And I think Mike proved this year that he can change some things up if need be.

I do not doubt that any style can work, but that is a different conversation. The OP said:

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on April 18, 2017, 08:37:56 pm

To him that is the ONLY things he equates with the Razorbacks.

pigture perfect

Emotionally gut wrenching. Feast or famine. Aggravating. When we win, my mind has conditioned itself to ask, Why can't they always play like that. And when they lose I want to punch a wall. I've gotten to the point that I don't watch or listen to live broadcasts. I check to see if we win before I watch replays. It's the only sport on the hill I do that with.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2017, 09:55:56 am
I do not doubt that any style can work, but that is a different conversation. The OP said:

Lol...you might have a point there. If I'm not mistaken Eddie Sutton was pretty good as well using his slow it down offense and keep the man in front of you defense.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2017, 09:55:56 am

There are a lot of people not your age who that is true for.

Theory of mind. Look it up. You seem like you could use an understanding of it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 20, 2017, 11:09:47 am
Lol...you might have a point there. If I'm not mistaken Eddie Sutton was pretty good as well using his slow it down offense and keep the man in front of you defense.

He did win a few games ( 260 at Arkansas ) and had a .780 win % here. But I guess that's not good enough.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2017, 11:26:32 am
He did win a few games ( 260 at Arkansas ) and had a .780 win % here. But I guess that's not good enough.
That's pretty good in my book. Like I always say. "Just Win Baby" I don't care how you win, just win. Winning is the only thing that matters to me. I don't care how you do it.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2017, 11:26:32 am

We had fun under Sutton but my gosh we played sorry schedules year after year while he was here. His win totals and % are bloated to say the least.

Under Sutton, we were not considered a threat nationally outside of Super Sid's senior year to anyone living outside the confines our state borders though. When we went to the Final Four with Triplets, it was considered a MAJOR upset when we beat UCLA and we were easily the more talented team.

We would enjoy some nice rankings, don't get me wrong, but those rankings are worth the same as today's.

Sutton was fun but definitely a cut below that 5 year run Nolan put together in the early 90s.

Youngsta71701

For the younger generation that was born and remembers Razorback basketball after the Eddie Sutton era all they know is the Nolan Richardson "40 Minutes of Hell" era. So you really can't blame them for their perception of Razorback basketball. He set the bar pretty high for the new crop.

GoHogzzGo

awesome, and in desperate need for one of the JUCOs to return.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

cityhog

Here's the deal. If AR fans would ever let go of the fact that we'll most likely never compete for an SEC or nat'l championship in football and throw our energy behind basketball, we'd be much better off. It was said on the radio recently the the UofA is a football school, but Arkansas is a basketball state. MUCH more basketball talent in this state, but we're so obsessed with football that basketball suffers.

The potential is there for AR basketball to be very good every single year. But kids just don't see the same passion from fans about the Bball hogs as the do for the football team.

So my answer to the fill in the blank is

Arkansas basketball is ... a sleeping giant.

yocdaddy

Arkansas basketball is a roller coaster ride...sorry but true.  Half the time it feels good, half the time it makes me want to puke.  I'd like to be a more consistent program.  I'd like to have a more balanced roster year in and year out. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

azhog10

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 03:26:24 pm
And 347 play, that's top 15%.

Youngsta71701

Youngsta71701

southarkhog06

southarkhog06

Quote from: azhog10 on April 20, 2017, 02:15:30 pm
....performing much better than football.
In order to like one sport/coach I must dump on another......... because Hogville.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BRHogfan on April 19, 2017, 02:11:08 pm
A rollercoaster.

improving if only slightly and slowly.
maybe about to be relevant again finally. 
little better than mediocre if you want to be really optimistic.
blah.
uninteresting.
irrelevant.
a has been program.
rarely able to beat or be competitive with the top teams played. 
better than when Mike was hired. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognitiveDissonance

Arkansas basketball is "needing continuity".

One good season needs to follow another. Sustained success.

These rumors about Macon are making folks very antsy. Losing Hannahs AND Macon would be a blow. That was your 3-pt shooting last year.

azhog10

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 20, 2017, 03:26:24 pm
In order to like one sport/coach I must dump on another......... because Hogville.
I actually like CBB, it was more of a jab at hogsanity because he preaches that he is just being "critical" or objective but when you read what he posts in the football forum he seems very much pleased with a coach who is putting up mediocre numbers. Spare me on the comparison of conferences in basketball and football. The SEC was very very close in having multiple final four teams, and two of the toughest games for UNC in the playoffs came at the hands of SEC teams.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 20, 2017, 03:28:28 pm
improving if only slightly and slowly.
maybe about to be relevant again finally. 
little better than mediocre if you want to be really optimistic.
blah.
uninteresting.
irrelevant.
a has been program.
rarely able to beat or be competitive with the top teams played. 
better than when Mike was hired.
Safe to say one could swap the football and basketball programs and both would fit. Baseball and track are the two lone standouts.

oldbooniehog

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 20, 2017, 06:49:00 pm
Arkansas basketball is nationally irrelevant.
Obviously, we got pimp slapped by a "nationality relevant" teams refs.