Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach punts kicker home for Easter!

Started by DeltaBoy, April 18, 2017, 10:53:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/16/bret-bielema-sent-arkansas-punter-home-to-celebrate-easter-alone/

Arkansas punter Blake Johnson has also suffered an injury, and Bielema did not seem to be too pleased with how the injury occurred. That's because it happened from outside of practice.

"So I removed him from the program for a little bit," Bielema said. "Let him go home this weekend and celebrate Easter weekend by himself in his apartment. I'll make a decision Monday if I let him back in."
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

It's Tuesday.  Is he back in or is he out?

HoggieStyle

"Let him go home this weekend and celebrate Easter weekend by himself in his apartment."

Pure class....

ricepig

hogcard1964

This is good, right?  I don't know.  Last time people questioned him letting demoted players back into their roles, they were lambasted.

Is it the type of thing that's bad right now, but will suddenly improve if Johnson is allowed back?

Can't be a good sign for the kicking game, no?

Not sure...????????

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 11:17:18 am
This is good, right?  I don't know.  Last time people questioned him letting demoted players back into their roles, they were lambasted.

Is it the type of thing that's bad right now, but will suddenly improve if Johnson is allowed back?

Can't be a good sign for the kicking game, no?

Not sure...????????

Must you troll every thread with your nonsense?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2017, 11:27:34 am
Must you troll every thread with your nonsense?

Why do you believe I'm trolling?

hogcard1964

J-Five

Not sure what message he's trying to send with this overt punishment of a PUNTER.  Where was this attitude last season when our defense was inept and we blew 4th quarter leads in the last 2 games?  Sometimes I just wish he would not say some things and would just DO more things...if that makes sense.  I don't care about a punter getting punished.  How is the 3-4 defense progressing?  How is our offensive line going to improve on Run Blocking/Pass Blocking this season?  This is an important year in his coaching tenure at Arkansas, and we're talking about a punter?  WPS
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

ricepig

Quote from: J-Five on April 18, 2017, 11:39:36 am
Not sure what message he's trying to send with this overt punishment of a PUNTER.  Where was this attitude last season when our defense was inept and we blew 4th quarter leads in the last 2 games?  Sometimes I just wish he would not say some things and would just DO more things...if that makes sense.  I don't care about a punter getting punished.  How is the 3-4 defense progressing?  How is our offensive line going to improve on Run Blocking/Pass Blocking this season?  This is an important year in his coaching tenure at Arkansas, and we're talking about a punter?  WPS

He was either asked a question about Johnson, or stated why he wasn't there, seems simple. I think if you listened to the PC after the scrimmage, he answered your other questions.

rhog1

gchamblee

youre right. he hasnt discussed any of those things this year and has talked only about the punter in all of his press conferences.

ricepig

rhog1

Quote from: ricepig on April 18, 2017, 11:47:40 am
Mazza is a kicker, Johnson is a punter, I believe.
Article says Mazza also handled the punting duties for his team.

PorkRinds

/facepalm

ricepig

Quote from: rhog1 on April 18, 2017, 11:49:51 am
Article says Mazza also handled the punting duties for his team.

He was listed as a "dependable" punter on Sailer's site, not a ringing endorsement. He's a preferred walk on, I guess we'll know when he shows up.

HF#1

This isn't Blake's first offense is it? Hasn't he been in the doghouse before?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

rhog1

Quote from: HF#1 on April 18, 2017, 11:54:28 am

Yeah. He was arrested for Public Intox when he first got here.

HF#1

Quote from: rhog1 on April 18, 2017, 11:59:20 am
Yeah. He was arrested for Public Intox when he first got here.

He gone.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Next1_04

Watch more post less.

HF#1

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on April 18, 2017, 11:54:28 am

Kid was previously arrested.

Freshman punter Blake Johnson was arrested last night and faces three charges. This comes one day after fellow freshman tight end C.J. O'Grady was arrested for DWI and other charges.

Johnson faces charges of public intoxication, minor in possession and disorderly conduct. Johnson is currently the second-team punter behind junior walk-on Toby Baker.

Arkansas signed Johnson in February. He was rated the No. 6 punter in the nation with 247Sports coming out of Los Alamitos (Calif.) High School.

Hogwild

Does anyone know what he did that caused the injury? 

BorderPatrol

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 12:22:55 pm
Kid was previously arrested.

Freshman punter Blake Johnson was arrested last night and faces three charges. This comes one day after fellow freshman tight end C.J. O'Grady was arrested for DWI and other charges.

Johnson faces charges of public intoxication, minor in possession and disorderly conduct. Johnson is currently the second-team punter behind junior walk-on Toby Baker.

Arkansas signed Johnson in February. He was rated the No. 6 punter in the nation with 247Sports coming out of Los Alamitos (Calif.) High School.

How about citing your source instead of plagiarizing?

bp

hogcard1964

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogwild on April 18, 2017, 12:30:20 pm
Does anyone know what he did that caused the injury? 
This. I'm not a Facebook or twitter person so I must be out of the loop. Nothing on Hogville about it that I saw.

Anyone care to tell what happened?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Just a guess but I'm betting from CBb's reaction it was caused by drinking.  Some sort of "hold my beer" moment. Again, just a guess.

hogcard1964

DeltaBoy

I am Sad if he is gone.  I hope he can get things straighten out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

Come on people. Did you watch the presser? Bielema ended up saying the kid was in double time out.

This does not appear to be a big deal. More funny than anything else. But I will ask tonight if he's back.

bennyl08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2017, 05:35:17 pm
Come on people. Did you watch the presser? Bielema ended up saying the kid was in double time out.

This does not appear to be a big deal. More funny than anything else. But I will ask tonight if he's back.

Could be making a joke to ease up a tenseful event though. When you hear him say that he is going to have to make a decision about whether to allow him to come back to the team, that signifies something bad.

It'd be like saying "i'ma gonna getcha" which is more funny then anything else but also saying "you'll wish you were never born if you get caught," which is pretty serious.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mike Irwin

He said the kid would be back in 24 hours. Compared it to when you get mad at your kids and you send them to their room.

I was there. I didn't have the impression that he was all that mad about the situation. There were no coaches after practice, just players so I guess we'll have to wait until Thursday to find out if the punter was back at practice today as Bielema indicated.

bennyl08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2017, 07:32:56 pm
He said the kid would be back in 24 hours. Compared it to when you get mad at your kids and you send them to their room.

I was there. I didn't have the impression that he was all that mad about the situation. There were no coaches after practice, just players so I guess we'll have to wait until Thursday to find out if the punter was back at practice today as Bielema indicated.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't, but it isn't hard to see where fans would be concerned that he could be off the team for good.

I hope he is because in limited playing time last year, he showed that he could be the next in a long string of really good punters here.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Razorbackers

Hogusta National

Really!  Are you not paying attention... to anything!?!?!?

WilsonHog

One of the most difficult aspects of attempting to draw conclusions based on text is that it can be almost impossible to put comments into context or to perceive emotion and intent. I appreciate Mike for providing much-needed context to Bret's comments.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, Bret has the same rules for everyone, whether the player is a star running back or a punter. I like and appreciate that.

TebowHater

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 19, 2017, 04:43:40 pm
One of the most difficult aspects of attempting to draw conclusions based on text is that it can be almost impossible to put comments into context or to perceive emotion and intent. I appreciate Mike for providing much-needed context to Bret's comments.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, Bret has the same rules for everyone, whether the player is a star running back or a punter. I like and appreciate that.

Agree - watching the press conference it was, without question, the least mad Bielema has ever seemed about punishing someone. He legitimately joked about it.

HamSammich

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2017, 05:35:17 pm

Is double time out anything like double secret probation?

Vantage 8 dude

You most definitely do "drama queen" very well! Did you learn that from someone or are you a self-made man?

MissippHog

You will do well here.  Might even have a small following.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2017, 07:32:56 pm

Slow down there, Mike...  How dare you try to derail such a deep thread, with your analytic skills and powers of observation.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

You are going to do fine here, mighty fine...  Sadly there are a few that are already occupying the position you are going for.  Not sure how Hogcard is going to take this, you moving in on his game and all.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RazrRila99

Shouldnt the title of the thread be "Coach kicks punter home for Easter"?  Afterall, Blake is a punter, bwahahaha. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 19, 2017, 11:01:54 pm
Is double time out anything like double secret probation?

Bret layeth the snacketh down.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MissippHog on April 20, 2017, 01:03:15 am
You will do well here.  Might even have a small following.
Shouldn't we just call it what it is: a lunacy fueled cult ???

hogcard1964

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 20, 2017, 11:57:52 am
Shouldn't we just call it what it is: a lunacy fueled cult ???

...or Razorback zombies.