Previous topic - Next topic

The_Boot_stops_here

ADavisTheGOAT

Mizzery is quietly raiding FHS.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on April 17, 2017, 07:33:21 pm
Welp....where to start...

I think he started off in Bama, I guess you start there, that was the first school he committed to.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 07:40:33 pm
I think he started off in Bama, I guess you start there, that was the first school he committed to.
Yep, as far as programs quite a step down.

factchecker

Did Bama not have any room left for him?

Are you telling me that Saban didn't wait for Byers to become eligible?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HOGINTENNESSEE

In a few years Mizz may have more Arkansas kids on there roster than we do

factchecker

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 17, 2017, 08:04:05 pm

Not likely, we have 40 players from Arkansas on our roster now.

mizzou currently has 2 (Crockett and Utsey) and are adding 3 more (the QB, Byers, and a walk-on)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 17, 2017, 08:04:05 pm

Nah, we always have several walkons.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: factchecker on April 17, 2017, 08:07:28 pm

mizzou currently has 2 (Crockett and Utsey) and are adding 3 more (the QB, Byers, and a walk-on)

It was a joke

SPAL

Quote from: factchecker on April 17, 2017, 08:07:28 pm

I love this guy.

factchecker

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 17, 2017, 08:37:03 pm
I love this guy.

I've actually had to show people our roster breakdown because they claimed we only have 3 kids from Arkansas on our roster.

Yes our wonderfully smart fans.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The_Boot_stops_here

Out of curiosity, how's that make ya feel?...

tophawg19

no way. we choose not to offer so best of luck to him
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RazorPiggie

Same as I did before I read it.

GoHogzzGo

So he couldn't qualify at Arkansas or Bama but he could at Mizzou. Has he passed through the clearinghouse or whatever it is? Thought dude had to go Juco.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

Three and Snout

ricepig

Quote from: Three and Snout on April 17, 2017, 09:30:44 pm
Yeah, but that one is in "SEC Sports", not "Recruiting Forum"...

Ok, I thought Mizzou was in the SEC, silly me.

grayhawg

Where is this report coming from?

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on April 17, 2017, 09:20:05 pm
So he couldn't qualify at Arkansas or Bama but he could at Mizzou. Has he passed through the clearinghouse or whatever it is? Thought dude had to go Juco.

Lol nice troll job.  He just recently qualified, as of last week or this week by a recent act score.  Something Arkansas and bama were t going to gamble on holding a spot for.  Mizzou just happen to have that scholarship available, similar to Arkansas the past few years.

songofthesword

darn , WE have a schoolchild available lol why didn't we offer now

factchecker

Quote from: songofthesword on April 18, 2017, 02:31:57 am
darn , WE have a schoolchild available lol why didn't we offer now

I think you meant scholarship?????  Either way, I don't think we have one available right now.  The best we could do is offer a blueshirt.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Potosihog

How is that even possible?  One semester to fix grades and then transfer to an SEC school?  Or did he stay in High School another semester  ;)

Just weird

http://www.rockmnation.com/missouri-football-recruiting/2017/4/20/15367640/missouri-football-2017-defensive-tackle-akial-byers-former-alabama-commit

theshiva

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-crimson-tide-missouri-tigers-akial-byers-commitment

http://247sports.com/player/akial-byers-60955

Interesting he's with their 2017 class. Thought we would be in the mix if he gets his grades in. Guess we didn't save any spots for the last class for a situation like this?

311Hog

lol so much spin.  congrats on getting 3 AR kids that weren't offered by AR... but then acting like they were.

TheGrove68

Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2017, 10:31:55 am
lol so much spin.  congrats on getting 3 AR kids that weren't offered by AR... but then acting like they were.

I read the article and I didn't see where it stated any of the Ark. players who we signed where recruited by the Hogs? It was pointed out that other schools had recruited them and that they had crossed state lines to go to Mizzou but I missed the reference to Mizzou beating out the Hogs for these guys.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

311Hog

Quote from: TheGrove68 on April 20, 2017, 10:41:41 am
I read the article and I didn't see where it stated any of the Ark. players who we signed where recruited by the Hogs? It was pointed out that other schools had recruited them and that they had crossed state lines to go to Mizzou but I missed the reference to Mizzou beating out the Hogs for these guys.

"That makes several top Arkansas recruits Barry Odom has convinced to cross the "Battle Line", including RB Damarea Crockett and DT Markell Utsey as well as QB Taylor Powell this year."

IE taken from Arkansas the "Battle line rival".

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Potosihog on April 20, 2017, 10:27:34 am
How is that even possible?  One semester to fix grades and then transfer to an SEC school?  Or did he stay in High School another semester  ;)

Just weird

http://www.rockmnation.com/missouri-football-recruiting/2017/4/20/15367640/missouri-football-2017-defensive-tackle-akial-byers-former-alabama-commit
It's called the "Nick Saban method of instant eligibility". The only thing is that this time the young man didn't follow through on his apparent original intent of eventually signing with the Tide.

Hogs33

I know this is not Arkansas recruiting news but I figured some of you would want to know. It looking like he is now qualified to play and has committed to Mizzou.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-crimson-tide-missouri-tigers-akial-byers-commitment
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Hogs33

Sorry, already in SEC Sports. please delete.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Letsroll1200

Congrats and hopefully he will have a great career at Mizzou. Big chance for a big time player

theshiva

Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2017, 10:31:55 am

I mean Crockett already turned out to be a stud. If the other two also do, it wont be a good look.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: theshiva on April 20, 2017, 11:59:37 am
I mean Crockett already turned out to be a stud. If the other two also do, it wont be a good look.

Let's give it more than 11 games.

311Hog

Quote from: theshiva on April 20, 2017, 11:59:37 am

Yeah i mean 1000 yard rusher on a terrible team, if that is a "stud" i guess then go ahead.  I personally will take 2 1000 yard rushers on a better team.

You can't take everyone and contrary to popular belief sometimes the marginal AR prospect gets left out.  It is crazy because this happens in pretty much every other state WAY more often and you don't see them crying about it.  I mean imagine being Louisiana, or Florida , and fielding entire teams of players that can't play for your state team.

If we would have offered and he failed to qualify people would have lost their minds.  I would be shocked if he qualifies now to play in 2017 without some NCAA people looking into it.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

theshiva

April 20, 2017, 12:18:30 pm #36 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:41:31 pm by theshiva
Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2017, 12:08:00 pm
Yeah i mean 1000 yard rusher on a terrible team, if that is a "stud" i guess then go ahead.  I personally will take 2 1000 yard rushers on a better team.

You can't take everyone and contrary to popular believe sometimes the marginal AR prospect gets left out.  It is crazy because this happens in pretty much every other state WAY more often and you don't see them crying about it.  I mean imagine being Louisiana, or Florida , and fielding entire teams of players that can't play for your state team.

You make a good point, rb was pretty much locked up, but we have given out offers to lesser talent before. So it seems like it was a misevaluation that Crockett wasn't good enough for an offer. Remember, there was a big chance we would've missed on White and Whaley. Whaley was committed to Georgia for awhile.

QuoteIf we would have offered and he failed to qualify people would have lost their minds.  I would be shocked if he qualifies now to play in 2017 without some NCAA people looking into it.

When you're not a blue chip school in the SEC, you gotta take some risks to get blue chip players to compete. Gabe Richardson already agreed to blue shirt when we were waiting on the Clemson transfer. If we would have taken a chance on Byers and Gabe ended up blue shirting, that seems to be a good risk-reward chance for the hogs. Personally I wouldn't mind taking more risks. It would have worked out with Chris Daniels and Byers. Our Dline would be beyond stacked.

Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 20, 2017, 12:05:54 pm
Let's give it more than 11 games.

He looked pretty damn good those games. Pretty sure almost a full season in the SEC is enough to evaluate a player.

mizzouman

I've heard that Byers is actually on track to be academically eligible and be available this coming year.  If that is the case, then expect Mizzou to not renew a scholarship or someone would need to transfer.  We are at 86 with Byers.

Byers is someone Mizzou needed.  We have only 3 DT that has played in any games and 2 of them are coming off of ACL injuries and one of them might need to redshirt.  We'll see.  But we are very thin in the trenches.  But, Byers will make 8 new DL coming in, some being JUCO's. 

I mustache you a question

"I have 2 weapons; my arms, my legs and my brain." – Michael Vick

311Hog

oh yeah i misspoke.  Byers did not qualify in time for national signing day.  So we would have had to have held a schollie for him, and hope he qualified which honestly im going to say most people thought was/is an extreme long shot.  It seems he got the ACT he needed after signing day, and now just has to make the grades.  If he does that and goes on to a great career so be it, but i cannot fault our staff for passing.

And i wont fault our staff for passing on a 3 star RB when you got a stable of higher rated players already there or on the way.  Same goes for passing on a 3 star QB when we have again much higher rated players already here and yes some are from AR themselves.

That is why i laughed at the article because the writer made it "seem" like Coach Odem came into the rivals back yard and won 3 recruiting battles, when that could not have been further from the truth.  Last i checked boise st, tulsa, and mississippii jr college were not the UofA.

Hog Fan...DOH!

mizzouman

Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2017, 12:40:29 pm
oh yeah i misspoke.  Byers did not qualify in time for national signing day.  So we would have had to have held a schollie for him, and hope he qualified which honestly im going to say most people thought was/is an extreme long shot.  It seems he got the ACT he needed after signing day, and now just has to make the grades.  If he does that and goes on to a great career so be it, but i cannot fault our staff for passing.

And i wont fault our staff for passing on a 3 star RB when you got a stable of higher rated players already there or on the way.  Same goes for passing on a 3 star QB when we have again much higher rated players already here and yes some are from AR themselves.

That is why i laughed at the article because the writer made it "seem" like Coach Odem came into the rivals back yard and won 3 recruiting battles, when that could not have been further from the truth.  Last i checked boise st, tulsa, and mississippii jr college were not the UofA.
I didn't read it that way, but oh well.  I guess it all depends on your perspective.

311Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on April 20, 2017, 01:22:50 pm
I didn't read it that way, but oh well.  I guess it all depends on your perspective.

how can you not read this that way?

"That makes several top Arkansas recruits Barry Odom has convinced to cross the "Battle Line", including RB Damarea Crockett and DT Markell Utsey as well as QB Taylor Powell this year."

Let me change it for you.

"That makes several top Missouri recruits Brent Beliema has convinced to cross the "Battle Line", including RB  and DT  as well as QB this year."

Direct reference to "top players", "convinced" and "rivalry trophy".  Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

This situation is very much like Darius Philon for us. Basically Bama pulled the offer, and we had a friend of his sitting next to him so he pulled the trigger.  I would never say we "won" or "convinced" Philon to come to the Hill over anyone else.  It was pure providence.

mizzouman

Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2017, 01:28:02 pm
how can you not read this that way?

"That makes several top Arkansas recruits Barry Odom has convinced to cross the “Battle Line”, including RB Damarea Crockett and DT Markell Utsey as well as QB Taylor Powell this year."

Let me change it for you.

"That makes several top Missouri recruits Brent Beliema has convinced to cross the “Battle Line”, including RB  and DT  as well as QB this year."

Direct reference to "top players", "convinced" and "rivalry trophy".  Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

This situation is very much like Darius Philon for us. Basically Bama pulled the offer, and we had a friend of his sitting next to him so he pulled the trigger.  I would never say we "won" or "convinced" Philon to come to the Hill over anyone else.  It was pure providence.
Settle down.  Does it really matter?  These types of articles are mostly crap anyway so I don't give it much attention.  Read the one from STLTODAY.  That's a better article.

311Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on April 20, 2017, 02:34:30 pm
Settle down.  Does it really matter?  These types of articles are mostly crap anyway so I don't give it much attention.  Read the one from STLTODAY.  That's a better article.

huh? just replying with my point clear and concise.  Not sure how i could get anymore settled :razorback: 

mizzouman

Quote from: 311Hog on April 20, 2017, 02:37:15 pm
huh? just replying with my point clear and concise.  Not sure how i could get anymore settled :razorback: 
Again, it doesn't matter.  Writers just trying to stir things up.  You should know that's what they do.  So, when I read them, I take that into consideration, then move on.