Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houdini Hayden

Started by TazorTusk, April 15, 2017, 11:15:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TazorTusk

It is premature, but if it has not already been suggested I'd recommend reserving this handle for Chase Hayden.

Am grateful for all of the other RB's we have on campus, but this guy will have something special to contribute at some point in his career.

After viewing some film footage on him tonight, Houdini Hayden doesn't just have a good sound; it will prove to be an apt moniker for all those times he has an opponent looking for his most prized protective gear after missing a tackle on this young man.

I can't wait to see him in action.

Tazor

presidenthog

Quote from: TazorTusk on April 15, 2017, 11:15:58 pm
It is premature, but if it has not already been suggested I'd recommend reserving this handle for Chase Hayden.

Am grateful for all of the other RB's we have on campus, but this guy will have something special to contribute at some point in his career.

After viewing some film footage on him tonight, Houdini Hayden doesn't just have a good sound; it will prove to be an apt moniker for all those times he has an opponent looking for his most prized protective gear after missing a tackle on this young man.

Tazor

Maleek williams already has a head start on him, and comes across as the bell cow back of the class. He also seems to be impressing early.

Hayden has alot of wiggle to him. Will be a great 3rd down back, or after we have beat them down with williams we will use chase.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TazorTusk on April 15, 2017, 11:15:58 pm

Tazor

I expect Chase Hayden to R/S for 2017.
Go Hogs Go!

rljjr

... chase is what they'll be doing when he has the ball.

But I expect him to redshirt this year, which is perfect for next season. We're building quality depth.

secneahog

Maleek cant do somethings Chase can do. It is what it is.

Chase is very explosive and his pass catching is elite. 

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

GoHogzzGo

I really think Chase will be as impressive on arrival. Thankfully both seem very mature and could handle early playing time for whomever is used. Good problem to have.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

secneahog

Very good problem to have indeed.

People are so quick to slap a redshirt on someone who was a 2 time Gatoraide Parade All American in two different sports and could have played for Harbaugh at Michigan.   

We need 4 rbs that are ready to play at all times.. our schedule is a killer one.
If IF the wrs struggle, we will lean on our rbs and tes. We need 4 rbs touting the rock, something Bielema did at Wisconsin.  Were only keeping rbs for 3 years, because were Arkansas.   Want to redshirt Chase quick? Ok, thats fine, Im sure he will only be here for three years anyways, if he could help us win one game, that we shouldnt have won, you dont redshirt him.  Runningback isnt a position, that I get redshirt happy. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Seebs

I chose to let the competition sort itself out and let a nickname arrive naturally, not by some Internet boredom.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

The_Bionic_Pig

Don't just close the door on Chase getting PT this season just yet, his skill level may make all the difference in returning kick's on special teams.

That is a weapon that hasn't been effective since Joe Adans graduated. 

Maleek is a contact- punishing back while TJ & Chase can both be just scary good in the open field.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TX HOG

My question is can Maleek be a contact punishing back this young in the SEC. Big diff from HS. He'll be trying to punish some NFL sized men

I've missed having someone like Joe Adams.  He was fun to watch

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: secneahog on April 16, 2017, 08:49:32 am

People are so quick to slap a redshirt on someone who was a 2 time Gatoraide Parade All American in two different sports and could have played for Harbaugh at Michigan.   

We need 4 rbs that are ready to play at all times.. our schedule is a killer one.
If IF the wrs struggle, we will lean on our rbs and tes. We need 4 rbs touting the rock, something Bielema did at Wisconsin.  Were only keeping rbs for 3 years, because were Arkansas.   Want to redshirt Chase quick? Ok, thats fine, Im sure he will only be here for three years anyways, if he could help us win one game, that we shouldnt have won, you dont redshirt him.  Runningback isnt a position, that I get redshirt happy. 

Hayden can come in and show what he can do and be evaluated. If he is SEC ready and learns everything within the program that he needs to learn over the summer and proves that he can execute at a higher level as a true freshman than some of the guys already here, then you bet, play him. Heck, he can be here learning and you don't even have to R/S him right off the bat. Let him matriculate and get up to speed and if you need him, play him. If you don't need him, don't play him and you can always give him a R/S status towards the end of the season.

We'll see how it all works out.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

If we need a 4th back I feel like it'll be Juan Day.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2017, 12:36:12 pm

For most games. There is something to be said for having a change of pace back.

Now, RW3, Whaley, Maleek, and Day aren't all identical, but none of them are a scat back.

RW3 is a lot like JWill in that he is a n-s runner who hits with power but has a bit of wiggle. Whaley is a n-s runner who is mcfadden like in style using speed to get yards after contact. Maleek is almost more of a Knile-ish runner who probably has more speed and power than RW3 but a bit less wiggle. Day is basically Broderick Green 2.0, but IMO, a bit more athletic.

TJ or Chase would both provide that wiggle back, which is a role that the other 4 don't have. However, I'd guess that TJ gets the nod there over Chase if nothing else to allow Hayden to redshirt.

What about the KR/PR? KR isn't as much about wiggle as it is vision and straight line speed (and not ever fumbling). As for skill set there, I'd say Jordan Jones would be a great KR for us if we asked him. PR, otoh, is much more of a wiggle needing position. Namely, the KR has 10-15 yards usually to get up to speed and determine where to run before he encounters anybody. Hence, vision and speed, though wiggle is always good too. On punts, the returner will have b/w 1-5 yards of space and rarely ever more than that. Thus, they need to be very quick with acceleration and making people miss. Chase has that skill set in spades. However, we also have Deon Stewart who is very good at that, Cornelius is very good at that, and Warren and Barnes in this recent class are also very good at that too. In that sense, Chase doesn't bring a new skill set. The question becomes, is Chase better at utilizing that skill set than the others who have that. If he does to the point that playing him gives us a better chance of winning, then bury that redshirt.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jgphillips3

Unless Hayden comes in and is unstoppable or the broken foot bug comes back, he will redshirt.  With RW3, DW, TJ and Maleek all being established heading into fall camp, there just aren't enough carries to justify playing another RB unless, as I said, he is a 3 and done type player who you can't keep off the field or people go down.  But hey, let s hope he's good enough to make the coaches sweat the decision...always a good thing.

bphi11ips

Chase Hayden may redshirt. BUT - he doesn't come in with redshirt credentials.  He is similar in size, speed and style to Felix Jones with some Barry Sanders thrown in.  He had offers from Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, and Michigan, among others, when he announced Arkansas as his leader last July after a strong showing at The Opening.  His dad was a running back at Tennessee.

Hayden and Williams may turn out to be the best RB tandem Arkansas has signed since 2005. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogBreath

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2017, 12:36:12 pm
Yes, perhaps one day you will be right.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

alohawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 16, 2017, 05:57:58 pm
Chase Hayden may redshirt. BUT - he doesn't come in with redshirt credentials.  He is similar in size, speed and style to Felix Jones with some Barry Sanders thrown in.  He had offers from Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, and Michigan, among others, when he announced Arkansas as his leader last July after a strong showing at The Opening.  His dad was a running back at Tennessee.

Hayden and Williams may turn out to be the best RB tandem Arkansas has signed since 2005.

Wouldn't that be nice.  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

tophawg19

The Felix Jones with a bit of Barry is a fair comparison for the kids skill set.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

(notOM)Rebel123

...among a lot of other schools.

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 16, 2017, 08:56:58 am
Maleek is a contact- punishing back while TJ & Chase can both be just scary good in the open field.

This is true, but don't undersell his quickness. I watched him scrimmage 2 weeks ago and he has more shake than you think.

ChitownHawg

I agree that JDay will most likely be the 4th back. CBB has shown he will provide an opportunity for a player who sticks with the team. i.e. Kody Walker.

While CBB likes to talk about a change of pace back he doesn't use them that much. Remember Korliss? His two years here he had 17 and 25 touches. Yet CBB spoke often about using his change of pace.

When you have RWIII, DW, and MW plus the WRs there are only so many balls to go around. IMHO
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hawg IQ

I watched him scrimmage 2 weeks ago and he has more shake than you think.
[/quote] Is he already here for spring scrimmage ?
go hogs go !

hawg IQ

sounds like a Joe Adams type, we need that !
go hogs go !

The_Iceman

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 17, 2017, 08:11:09 am
Is he already here for spring scrimmage ?

Talking about Maleek. Yes, he is.