Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are going to shock a lot of experts this year

Started by sowmonella, April 14, 2017, 11:02:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: hawgdavis on April 15, 2017, 09:02:55 pm
I think it's the best with also the best  running back in the SEC from last year returning. Sit back relax watch and see I will be correct at the end of the season when we have 2 backs in the top 3 in the SEC .

People can say what the want about who's best by the eye test I go by what is actually  done on the feild so like I said just relax and watch what happens I won't even have to worry about eating crow.

Which college QB is better, Colt Brennan or Aaron Rodgers?

Brennan has more wins and yards. Would you take him over Rodgers?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Piggfoot

I hope we do as well as some of you predict.
Here's the problem. I agree we have some great players but I don't think we've built up enough depth to play with the elite.
Our overall recruiting is still in the bottom in the SEC. Until that changes I am not predicting great improvement. Last year we had to keep the ones on the field to compete.
This did not help our effective depth.
Going to Juco did not instill confidence in my opinion in the receiving Corp.
Weve recruited top jucos before and it still took time for them to adjust. I can't think of one who immediately stepped in and became all SEC.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 15, 2017, 07:44:31 pm
You have repeated that sentence quite enough now. Get some new material.

Hawgar, I would love to have a reason to use some new material.

If only the Hogs would give me a reason to!

But I don't look for anything to really change.

SRV

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 15, 2017, 02:38:20 am
Those who are predicting 6 wins are going to be shocked.  I see at least 7- 8 wins on the schedule.  Might be a 9 win season if we catch a break.  We will have probably the best QB in the conference, potentially the best backfield, an improved Oline (but how much remains to be seen) and several legit threats at receiver.  Offensive production will NOT be a problem for this team.  The defense will be better...period.  Just the fact that we will be more aggressive will be a welcome change.  I think our secondary will continue its improvement and the linebacking core will no longer be asked to do things they don't do well and will be given opportunity to turn it loose.  I expect our defense to be no worse than middle of the pack in the SEC after being bottom feeders last year.  A top notch defense and a medium level defense will result in a good season barring major injuries.

I agree completely. I also believe that the potential is there for more, if things come together better than most anticipate. And....I don't understand why so many people think that being optimistic such a bad thing.

Woo pig
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

HogCzar1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 15, 2017, 02:38:20 am
Those who are predicting 6 wins are going to be shocked.  I see at least 7- 8 wins on the schedule.  Might be a 9 win season if we catch a break.  We will have probably the best QB in the conference, potentially the best backfield, an improved Oline (but how much remains to be seen) and several legit threats at receiver.  Offensive production will NOT be a problem for this team.  The defense will be better...period.  Just the fact that we will be more aggressive will be a welcome change.  I think our secondary will continue its improvement and the linebacking core will no longer be asked to do things they don't do well and will be given opportunity to turn it loose.  I expect our defense to be no worse than middle of the pack in the SEC after being bottom feeders last year.  A top notch defense and a medium level defense will result in a good season barring major injuries.

The biggest concern I have is the O-line. We couldn't run the ball at all late in the year. With basically the same line back, just how much can they improve?

There were just too many times when someone on our O-line would completely whiff on a block last year which resulted in a collapsed play.

Will we be able to line up on a good SEC team and make 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1?

Until we see dramatic improvement in the O-line, it's hard to see how we get to a level of 9-10 wins.

Hawghiggs

factchecker

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 15, 2017, 10:55:25 pm
Must drink the Kool-Aid to be a fan now?

Stupid, lame, idiotic, and played out line.  If someone is positive then they drink kool-aid now?

You made a dumb comment about us being able to finish 6th in the West..... like we haven't finished better the last two seasons.  We finished 3rd in 2015 and 5th in 2016.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DLUXHOG

Quote from: sowmonella on April 14, 2017, 11:02:15 pm
Top line QB and backs. Real speed at receiver. An Oline that will be top 3 in the SEC. A defense  that will be much improved and more disruptive. A solid kicking game and a favorable schedule. Copy, paste and print it off, we will win 10 games this year. No brag just fact. :razorback:

I believe this /\.... at the very least..............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 15, 2017, 10:55:25 pm
Must drink the Kool-Aid to be a fan now?

Absolutely correct. You are either a fan or you're not, no middle ground. All fanatics drink the koolaid!!!

HiggiePiggy

Our average since joining the SEC is 6.68 wins a year and 5.48 losses per year.

So pretty much we are almost dead on what we should expect from our program today..............
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bennyl08

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 15, 2017, 10:50:25 pm
The biggest concern I have is the O-line. We couldn't run the ball at all late in the year. With basically the same line back, just how much can they improve?

Recall how bad the OL was in 2013. Then how it improved in '14 and '15 as we lost very few key players during that time.

Recall how we returned basically all of our receivers who didn't rack up a lot of yards in 2014 and how well they did in 2015.

I mean, the number of players that don't improve from year to year is very small.

QuoteThere were just too many times when someone on our O-line would completely whiff on a block last year which resulted in a collapsed play.

Indeed, but that is exactly what to expect when you lose 3 starters on the OL. Mental errors.

The good news is, mental errors are the easiest and also the most likely errors to be correct from year one to the next. You have thousands of more repetitions by year 2 than you did in year 1 and the game is much slower. While not football, you show a state championship round of debate to first year debate students and you know what the assignment is? Write down as many words as you can understand. The debaters speak incredibly fast and the best novices will write down maybe 10 words out of an hour plus debate. Fast forward a single year of competitions and there isn't a single word they don't understand and it actually feels slower than some of the other debates they've been involved in.

Debate isn't football, but it illustrates very well how not being used to something can make it seem incomprehensibly fast while just a single year of practicing can slow things way down for you. Similarly with racquetball. A beginner is just trying to hit the ball first and hopefully the front wall second. You don't have time to worry about where your opponent is and think about what a good shot will be. A more experienced player knows how to get to the ball and be there to hit it, and can focus more on how he or she wants to hit to position themselves strategically.

QuoteWill we be able to line up on a good SEC team and make 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1?

We were able to do that last year, and quite frequently. However, if you are talking about time in and time out, the next team to be able to do that will be the first. It's the classic problem of being a fan. You know your team better than others, which means you see more of the faults in your own team than you see in others.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-short-yardage-results

This is for the NFL, but the stats are comparable. QB sneak is the most successful, but run on third and 1-2 yards only convert about 2/3 of the time.

QuoteUntil we see dramatic improvement in the O-line, it's hard to see how we get to a level of 9-10 wins.

Dramatic levels of improvement would put our OL unit in the top 5 in the country and we'd be a threat for 10+.

Zero levels of improvement from the OL combined with with only the average level of improvement from the returning players we have along with neutral impact from the defensive scheme change and we are still looking at a good chance to get to 9 wins. Why? Well, we should have had 9 wins last year if we didn't choke. Last year's team was inexperienced. This year's is not. Receiver is the only place we don't improve positionally next season. I'd include DE if we were still in the 4-3. The experience of the returning players alone and thus the reduced mental errors (whiffed blocks by OL, forcing throws late in the game by the qb making matters worse) will be greatly reduced.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Al Boarland

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2017, 12:36:14 am
Recall how bad the OL was in 2013. Then how it improved in '14 and '15 as we lost very few key players during that time.

Recall how we returned basically all of our receivers who didn't rack up a lot of yards in 2014 and how well they did in 2015.

I mean, the number of players that don't improve from year to year is very small.

Indeed, but that is exactly what to expect when you lose 3 starters on the OL. Mental errors.

The good news is, mental errors are the easiest and also the most likely errors to be correct from year one to the next. You have thousands of more repetitions by year 2 than you did in year 1 and the game is much slower. While not football, you show a state championship round of debate to first year debate students and you know what the assignment is? Write down as many words as you can understand. The debaters speak incredibly fast and the best novices will write down maybe 10 words out of an hour plus debate. Fast forward a single year of competitions and there isn't a single word they don't understand and it actually feels slower than some of the other debates they've been involved in.

Debate isn't football, but it illustrates very well how not being used to something can make it seem incomprehensibly fast while just a single year of practicing can slow things way down for you. Similarly with racquetball. A beginner is just trying to hit the ball first and hopefully the front wall second. You don't have time to worry about where your opponent is and think about what a good shot will be. A more experienced player knows how to get to the ball and be there to hit it, and can focus more on how he or she wants to hit to position themselves strategically.

We were able to do that last year, and quite frequently. However, if you are talking about time in and time out, the next team to be able to do that will be the first. It's the classic problem of being a fan. You know your team better than others, which means you see more of the faults in your own team than you see in others.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-short-yardage-results

This is for the NFL, but the stats are comparable. QB sneak is the most successful, but run on third and 1-2 yards only convert about 2/3 of the time.

Dramatic levels of improvement would put our OL unit in the top 5 in the country and we'd be a threat for 10+.

Zero levels of improvement from the OL combined with with only the average level of improvement from the returning players we have along with neutral impact from the defensive scheme change and we are still looking at a good chance to get to 9 wins. Why? Well, we should have had 9 wins last year if we didn't choke. Last year's team was inexperienced. This year's is not. Receiver is the only place we don't improve positionally next season. I'd include DE if we were still in the 4-3. The experience of the returning players alone and thus the reduced mental errors (whiffed blocks by OL, forcing throws late in the game by the qb making matters worse) will be greatly reduced.
Should have 9 wins? There were a few we scraped by that we could have lost.

daBoar

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2017, 12:36:14 am
Good history and perspective, except:  Last year the Hogs returned 9 starters on defense..............and they were worse than the prior year.  I still struggle with "how they could've been worse", and a lot worse. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Al Boarland

Quote from: daBoar on April 16, 2017, 10:07:11 am
Good history and perspective, except:  Last year the Hogs returned 9 starters on defense..............and they were worse than the prior year.  I still struggle with "how they could've been worse", and a lot worse.
The scape goat has been provided as an excuse.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hogwild

Quote from: Hogtimes on April 15, 2017, 11:02:04 am
I just don't see how we can not win at least 8 games this year.

Three non-conference game are a lock.

We were basically dead even with TCU last year.  They should be decidedly down this  year.  So a logical win.

I'm curious what you are basing that on, I don't follow TCU but I saw that ESPN had them 18th in their FPI index a few weeks ago. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 16, 2017, 10:31:56 am
Would an 8-4 regular season require spin?  I would be satisfied with 8-4 and sprinkle in 9-3 here and there.  That would put us in the top 25 each season.   We are NOT EVER going to win the west or a SEC championship so everyone may as well get that out of their heads and CBB shouldn't be evaluated or held accountable on those terms.  Top 25 works for me every day and twice on Sunday and 9-3 gets us there.  That's relevance to me.

8-4 season would be a good season if there isn't one of those games that we are owning our opponent only to watch them come back and win on us.  Last 2 years should have been 10 and 9 win season, but instead total collapses gave us 8 wins and 7 wins. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bennyl08

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 16, 2017, 09:55:17 am
Should have 9 wins? There were a few we scraped by that we could have lost.

There were close games, sure. However, none of those games did we defy logic in winning them. We could have lost them, but it didn't take an act of god for us to win, the other team had a lot of lucky breaks to be in a position to make it close too. We did what we had to do to win.

In the last two games of the season, even NFL Tebow is looking at those games and wishing he had that much divine favor. For whatever reason, we collapsed in those two games more than the other team earning.

THAT is the difference b/w should have won and could have lost.

Quote from: daBoar on April 16, 2017, 10:07:11 am

Pulley played better. Collins played better. Liddell, Ramirez, and Coley were improved. Beanum was a returning starter who didn't get to play due to issues completely unrelated to football. Greenlaw was improved but then lost to injury. Eugene played better than he ever has here. Ledbetter was improved from last year. Wise Jr was improved, but broke his hand in the first game of the season which then limited him. DJ Dean was injured and prevented from playing for the most part. About the only two players I can think of whose play on defense wasn't demonstrably better would be Ellis and Johnson. Ellis played well just seemingly plateaued a bit, and Johnson was the NT who mostly eats up blocks so it isn't a terribly obvious impact.

Players can get better every year and the defensive production get worse. The two are not mutually exclusive. For example, a RsFr may be improved from where he was as a true freshmen but lead to a loss in the defense as he is replacing a senior. You can return all 4 secondary starters and see a decrease in production if the DL loses it's key pass rusher. The defense overall could be better but facing even better offensive players. The defensive individuals could each be improved but a scheme change could make the overall defense even worse.

Farmer Hogget

Last year around this time, some people started predicting 10 & 11 win seasons. These people seemed to ignore the losses in the backfield and along the offensive line.  Expectations raged out of control all summer long.  Then, when the actual reality of the situation raised its ugly head, we blamed the coached instead of our out of control, unrealistic expectations.  And so it appears to be starting again!  Maybe if we aligned our expectations with reality, we may not be so pissed at the coach when our expectations are not met.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on April 16, 2017, 03:08:49 pm
Last year around this time, some people started predicting 10 & 11 win seasons. These people seemed to ignore the losses in the backfield and along the offensive line.  Expectations raged out of control all summer long.  Then, when the actual reality of the situation raised its ugly head, we blamed the coached instead of our out of control, unrealistic expectations.  And so it appears to be starting again!  Maybe if we aligned our expectations with reality, we may not be so pissed at the coach when our expectations are not met.

Spring always brings optimism....

My expectations for 2017 is 7 to 8 wins and another bowl, with hopefully a win.

And I want to beat the crap out of Barner and Miz....

bennyl08

Very very very few people were predicting 10/11 wins last season. New QB, new OL, new backfield and not a particularly strong defense.

The vast majority of hogville was in the 7-8 win camp which is exactly where we finished. Expectations raged out of control only among a minority of hogville and the primary out of controllness is to the negative side rather than the positive. For every 10+ win person, there's 2-3 saying we will be lucky to even make a bowl game.

Last year's team's big problem wasn't that they didn't meet the original expectations, but that they showed that so much more was possible with that team. The bowl game perfectly encapsulates that. Go back to the beginning of the season. Now, if I told you that this team was going to be taking on a 9-3 (regular season) team that played for a conference title and went toe to toe and blow for blow with the eventual national champion that beat Bama, if you are being honest, you'd probably expect us to lose that game. Which we did. Given the talent that VT routinely puts into the draft and how they ended the season, nobody should have expected to win that game, at best it was a toss up with us having deeper NFL talent than them but them having higher round NFL talent than us. We lost the game with a close final score. Pre-kickoff, that shouldn't have been a shock or a major disappointment other than it is nice to win. However, the team showed they could be so much more and actually destroy a team like VT which makes the loss that much worse.

Poker_hog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 16, 2017, 10:31:56 am
Would an 8-4 regular season require spin?  I would be satisfied with 8-4 and sprinkle in 9-3 here and there.  That would put us in the top 25 each season.   We are NOT EVER going to win the west or a SEC championship so everyone may as well get that out of their heads and CBB shouldn't be evaluated or held accountable on those terms.  Top 25 works for me every day and twice on Sunday and 9-3 gets us there.  That's relevance to me.

I'd take 8-5 most years.  That's not acceptable as a ceiling though.  The goal should be to compete for titles.  Once a coach establishes he can't do that here he should be let go.

Never win the west again?  Lol. We've already won it 4 times.  Bama won't be in dynasty mode for ever.  These things cycle. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hawgmasta

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2017, 03:36:17 pm
Last year's team's big problem wasn't that they didn't meet the original expectations, but that they showed that so much more was possible with that team. The bowl game perfectly encapsulates that. Go back to the beginning of the season. Now, if I told you that this team was going to be taking on a 9-3 (regular season) team that played for a conference title and went toe to toe and blow for blow with the eventual national champion that beat Bama, if you are being honest, you'd probably expect us to lose that game. Which we did. Given the talent that VT routinely puts into the draft and how they ended the season, nobody should have expected to win that game, at best it was a toss up with us having deeper NFL talent than them but them having higher round NFL talent than us. We lost the game with a close final score. Pre-kickoff, that shouldn't have been a shock or a major disappointment other than it is nice to win. However, the team showed they could be so much more and actually destroy a team like VT which makes the loss that much worse.

That's a good way of putting it benny. Some of their losses last year were just gut wrenching. I would say heartbreaking but every team does that to their fan base a few times a year. Those were moments that made some pretty ardent fans start to question maybe the direction we were going; which was the most disturbing part.

I see 7-8 wins next year if our talent lives up to the hype. 9 wins with the bowl game would be great!

code red

Top line QB and backs. Real speed at receiver. An Oline that will be top 3 in the SEC. A defense  that will be much improved and more disruptive. A solid kicking game and a favorable schedule. Copy, paste and print it off, we will win 10 games this year. No brag just fact. :razorback:
Sounds like our offense last year 7-6.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Our defense will be more of the same count on it.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

TNRazorbacker

I'd say low chance of 10 wins, but not impossible. Most likely 7-8 wins per the norm. 

HamSammich

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on April 16, 2017, 09:52:29 pm
I'd say low chance of 10 wins, but not impossible. Most likely 7-8 wins per the norm.

7 wins exactly. We beat Bama and CBB gets an extension. Book it

Hawghiggs

Quote from: factchecker on April 15, 2017, 10:57:47 pm
Stupid, lame, idiotic, and played out line.  If someone is positive then they drink kool-aid now?

You made a dumb comment about us being able to finish 6th in the West..... like we haven't finished better the last two seasons.  We finished 3rd in 2015 and 5th in 2016.

No. It's not a dumb comment. It's as asinine as every other prediction on this board. What it does speak to is my faith in CBB. Which I have very little. I hope that I am proven wrong, and have to eat crow. But at some point people need to start asking which programs are we better than in our division. The only one I see is Ole Miss.

HamSammich

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 16, 2017, 10:18:08 pm
No. It's not a dumb comment. It's as asinine as every other prediction on this board. What it does speak to is my faith in CBB. Which I have very little. I hope that I am proven wrong, and have to eat crow. But at some point people need to start asking which programs are we better than in our division. The only one I see is Ole Miss.

I agree with you but I disagree in that we are better than miss state. Look I'm the biggest critic of CBB........ BUT..... in two years these recruits of his are going to win big for him or for some new coach. It's fact. I promise. Arkansas fans settling for this mediocrity bother me more than you... hell this isn't even mediocrity yet the same ten guys here will come and defend him soon in this thread.... BUT give it two years. I know talent. We need to finally get the allens off the hill and let this crew CBB has brought in shine.

Augustus

Is anyone on here keeping track of injuries?

I  saw today (ignore the source)... https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-foot-injuries-alexy-jean-baptiste?utm_campaign=SF_SECCountryHogs&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Jean-Baptiste out with a broken foot.

Dre Greenlaw out with a broken foot.

So, there's two LBs with injuries.  I don't know what is says about our DL, that Bielema was talking about moving Ragnow over?  And, our DBs?

I heard all Spring and Summer "Our Defense is 1 year older, we'll be much improved" ...obviously not the case.

And...  I wouldn't go counting Missouri (remember last year) or any other SEC team a "lock" ...not even sure I'd count the  non-confs a lock.

Also to note:  Rawleigh Williams III is bothered by an ankle injury. Tight end Austin Cantrell has a troublesome knee. And wide receiver Jared Cornelius' hamstring isn't 100 percent.

And, it's only April.  God only knows what Summer Camp will bring.

factchecker

Quote from: Augustus on April 16, 2017, 10:56:42 pm
I don't know what is says about our DL, that Bielema was talking about moving Ragnow over?

You are not this dumb.

Bielema mentioned that Frank is athletic enough to play both sides of the ball on the Bo Mattingly show.  He said that Frank is so athletic that they probably could use him in a special goal line package.

THEY ARE NOT MOVING HIM OVER.

When asked about the prospect of moving him over, Coach Rhoads laughed and said he would take Frank but it is unlikely.

QuoteCoach Bret Bielema suggested Wednesday that senior center Frank Ragnow, a two-year starter, might merit a look at defensive end.

"Somebody might have told me about that comment today, and if he's offering Frank Ragnow, I'm taking Frank Ragnow to utilize when I'm allowed to," defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads said, grinning. "I doubt very much that will be allowed too often. We'll see where that goes."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/mar/31/d-line-inexperience-gets-hogs-thinking-/

Thank god nobody mentioned Tretola being able to pass the ball.  People would have thought we were going to move him to QB.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

In regards to the injuries:

QuoteInjury report

Lead tailback Rawleigh Williams suffered what looked like a mild ankle injury on his 17th and final carry of Saturday's University of Arkansas, Fayetteville scrimmage. Williams hobbled slightly while making his way off the field but appeared to be OK a few minutes later.

First-team nose guard Austin Capps stayed down after the fifth snap in the scrimmage, but he just had the wind knocked out of him and returned later.

Tight end Austin Cantrell took a shot to the knee late in the scrimmage, which Coach Bret Bielema called a "bang," that will undergo further evaluation.

Linebacker Alexy Jean-Baptiste suffered a broken foot in the April 8 scrimmage and underwent surgery Monday, Bielema said. He estimated a four-month recovery for Jean-Baptiste and described the foot injury as similar to ones suffered by Jonathan Williams and Cody Hollister during the 2015 season.

Receiver Jared Cornelius (hamstring), defensive back Korey Hernandez (hamstring) and linebacker Giovanni LaFrance (high ankle sprain) were held out of the scrimmage.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/apr/16/gibson-in-good-graces-20170416/

Frank is being held out from scrimmages to avoid an injury.  I wouldn't be suprised if Jared gets some rest as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Augustus

Quote from: factchecker on April 16, 2017, 11:00:37 pm
You are not this dumb.

Bielema mentioned that Frank is athletic enough to play both sides of the ball on the Bo Mattingly show.  He said that Frank is so athletic that they probably could use him in a special goal line package.

THEY ARE NOT MOVING HIM OVER.

When asked about the prospect of moving him over, Coach Rhoads laughed and said he would take Frank but it is unlikely.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/mar/31/d-line-inexperience-gets-hogs-thinking-/

Thank god nobody mentioned Tretola being able to pass the ball.  People would have thought we were going to move him to QB.

Ok, so Ragnow notwithstanding... the article you linked about our DL was focused on the lack of inexperience.   Isn't that concerning?

Also, no comment or thought on the injuries we've already began to stack up?

Other than our added depth at DB (a lot of which are still unproven?)...  what should make me or anyone think we'll see a  "vast improvement in the Defense this year"? ? ?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Augustus on April 16, 2017, 11:13:36 pm
Ok, so Ragnow notwithstanding... the article you linked about our DL was focused on the lack of inexperience.   Isn't that concerning?

Other than our added depth at DB (a lot of which are still unproven?)...  what should make me or anyone think we'll see a  "vast improvement in the Defense this year"? ? ?

Since I'm a part of anyone I'll chime in.
Hard work, desire to improve, and a renewed focus by the team are just a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, and a little positive thinking instead of focusing on what could be negative on your part.
It's April, don't throw in the towel on the upcoming season so quick. Anything is possible no matter what some may think.

colbs

Probably the same # of people picked 10+ wins as people predicting 4-5.

bennyl08

Quote from: Augustus on April 16, 2017, 11:13:36 pm

Agim, Capps, and Jackson all have significant experience though not amazing amounts of significance. We also do not appear to be relying on any true freshmen for the DL. Yeah, experience isn't a shining beacon for our defensive line upcoming season, but all things considered, it isn't a major liability either. Overall it's pretty neutral.

I have a comment/thought. Good job. We have a very low number of injuries that we are concerned about. Much lower than we have been in several previous years and probably on the lower third or so of the SEC. Who all is injured? AJB is out 4 months, backup LB who will be back by game time. Kraus is out with something if I remember, who is not in the top 3 of TE's to begin with. Greenlaw is healing from surgery dating back to the injury from last year so nothing new there.

We don't have any other injuries. Tutt is back from injury, KR3 is back from injury. RW3 tweaked his ankle but didn't injure it in any way. Cornelius has a hamstring that is giving him some troubles, but he's still practicing, just didn't scrimmage.

As of the moment, knock on wood, we don't have anybody who has an injury that would make them miss a single regular season snap next season. Now, that will likely change. Football is a sport with a 100% injury rate. You play the sport and you will get hurt. However, all things considered, we are doing great in the injury department.

Vast? That would indeed be wishful thinking. However, our team had 8 new starters/significant contributors on offense with 2 of them being in their first year playing that position on the college level. On defense, last year we had 6 first year starters/significant contributors with 3 of them being true freshmen. On average, individual players improve each year they are part of the team. There are two important milestones that mark the two biggest jumps in a player's career. From their first year on campus to their second as they build their bodies and get used to college speed compared to HS and from their first year as a significant player to the second as they get used to playing against the big boys.

Now, if we were playing under the exact same Robb Smith defense as it was called last year against the same schedule/opponents players etc..., I'd project that from the returning roster alone, our defense would jump from 70 something up ~10 spots to 60 something. Now, Rhoad's averaged around a 30th ranked defense during his time as a DC. Due to him being the first year as our DC, I expect to fall short of that average. Due to being the first year of us installing a 3-4 defense, I expect us to fall a little bit shorter still. Combining all of that together, I'd venture that we'd have somewhere around a 45-55th ranked defense next year. Vast improvement? Depends on how loosely you use the word vast. Significant improvement though, definitely.

HotlantaHog

We should know a lot after the TCU and Texas A&M games. Both realistically look like tossups. TCU is at home which gives Arkansas an edge there, but for some reason Hogs haven't been able to get over the hump vs. Aggies for a long time.... It's hard to expect a victory in Dallas....

Win them both, and 10-2 or 11-1 seem as reasonable possibilities. You hear talk about how the Hogs can sweep the West.

Lose them both, and 8-4 looks like a ceiling, but 6-6 looks more likely....You will hear talk about a hot seat, at least for the following season.

Al Boarland

Quote from: HotlantaHog on April 17, 2017, 11:43:21 am
We should know a lot after the TCU and Texas A&M games. Both realistically look like tossups. TCU is at home which gives Arkansas an edge there, but for some reason Hogs haven't been able to get over the hump vs. Aggies for a long time.... It's hard to expect a victory in Dallas....

Win them both, and 10-2 or 11-1 seem as reasonable possibilities. You hear talk about how the Hogs can sweep the West.

Lose them both, and 8-4 looks like a ceiling, but 6-6 looks more likely....You will hear talk about a hot seat, at least for the following season.
You know what comes before the hot seat articles? The he's not on the hot seat articles. I saw one of those just the other day. If CBB can only scrape together 7 wins again fans will be restless. However, I suspect Long will keep CBB around a long while. He's a good fit for the program even if he isn't a great coach.

navyhog24

Please pass along whatever you are smoking. I need a good hit on a Monday.

If anything, thanks for the laughs

Deep Shoat

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 17, 2017, 02:07:32 pm

I think it's called "being a fan"...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Next1_04

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 17, 2017, 02:07:32 pm

This is called a "realist" until we win, then its called a "bandwagoner".

navyhog24

8 is CBB's ceiling here. That was 2015. The schedule this year along with too early of a bye week, inconsistent line play, and a defense learning a whole new scheme equals a long season with lots of growing pains.

navyhog24

6 wins next season. I'm sure we'll look great in the first half of a few games and then give them away in the second half. It's In CBB's nature to do so.

lasthog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 17, 2017, 02:55:22 pm
Was Saban in the West when we won it?  We all know the answer to that one.  As far as cycles, as long as Saban is there, you won't see your cycle.  Now if he leaves or the NCAA come a calling, that's a whole new set of circumstances which will alter the beast (Bama) he has built.  Compete for titles?  What titles?  UA will NEVER win the west as long as Saban is at Bama.[b/] Realistically, can we go 11-1, YES!  But I don't think Long and reasonable fans expect it.  9-3 makes the program relavent because that's a top 25 record.  Relavence will breed improved talent which should translate into 10-2 conversations but WIN the west.  NO!  Not going to happen in the Saban era.  Go into week 7 or 8 in the conversation?  Will happen I think but CBB will NEVER outcoach Saban which is what it would require with inferior talent.

Who could make a logical argument with your assessment, that Arkansas will never win the west as long as Saban is at Alabama.

This is not merely your opinion, but one shared by most if not all pundits covering college football.

However, "never," being an absolute term, is more often than not an overstatement.

I am not disagreeing with the high likelihood that you are correct, but Boone Pickens said over a decade ago that oil would never go below 85.00 a barrel, and that was pretty much the consensus of experts at that time.

Some sports writer penned in 1969 that Texas was "un-upsettable." He listed a number of reasons, and he turned out to be right.  He did say that he wasn't including the Arkansas game as one in which a Texas loss would be an upset, but rather a tough head-to-head battle.

In my opinion, Alabama at this time is virtually un-up settable. But only virtually.

And please, please, no one post the Jim Carrey, "So you're saying there's a chance."

Just recovering from a back problem, so I believe I should be excused for being incoherent.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 17, 2017, 03:19:19 pm
6 wins next season. I'm sure we'll look great in the first half of a few games and then give them away in the second half. It's In CBB's nature to do so.

Sounds like some of our fans......

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

April 18, 2017, 03:47:22 pm #98 Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:05:20 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 17, 2017, 02:55:22 pm
Was Saban in the West when we won it? 
yes in 2002 we won the west after beating saban/LSU in War Memorial Stadium.

Beating Saban/Bama is hardly an insurmountable task.

I'm sure you also remember that CBB came within 1 point of beating saban in 2014.

Petrino came within 4 points of beating them in 2010.

and HDN beat bama in 2006.

see a pattern? 4 years from 2014 is 2018.  that will be the year we beat saban/bama.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LRRandy

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2017, 03:47:22 pm
yes in 2002 we won the west after beating saban/LSU in War Memorial Stadium.

I'm sure you also remember that CBB came within 1 point of beating saban in 2014.

Beating Saban/Bama is hardly an insurmountable task.
kinda has been for the last decade.
This is fun, isn't it.